Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull up/Chin ups Challenge 2012?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    how is this going for everyone??

for me its time to invest in a pull up bar for home and hit out as many negatives as I can 2/3 times a day
    Lidl were selling a pull up bar similar to this for about €18 from Monday this week, you may still be able to find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ray jay wrote: »
    Lidl were selling a pull up bar similar to this for about €18 from Monday this week, you may still be able to find one.

done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Did a chin up with a 24kg KB hanging off a dipping belt this evening.
    Will Try to increase it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I can do 3 wide grip pull-ups!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

I injured myself on a max test wide grip pulls up which has left me out of the gym for 3 weeks. So frustrating

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    I can do 3 wide grip pull-ups!

fair play.
    now get it up to 5!!!

Michael 09 wrote: »
    I injured myself on a max test wide grip pulls up which has left me out of the gym for 3 weeks. So frustrating

not good.
    what muscle? or a joint?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Might consider this if not now but for later in the year. Might give maxes a try this evening maybe

Iv been about 4 months back training since my semi-serious shoulder Injury, was out of action for 14 Months or so. (lost alot of weight and initial strength)

However since been backing training though Iv repped out 11 x BW reps for Ring Muscleups :)

Haven't tried Maxes really on Pullups or Chins yet though. I imagine not as good as they used to be

not good.
    what muscle? or a joint?

Damaged my upper trap apparently so that lead to a very stiff neck for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think doing heavy weighted ring dips messed up my shoulder over a year ago. I am getting over it now, still feels ropey at times yet my dumbbell overhead presses are in line with what I could do before. My dips & pullups are down, but I am fatter now :(

I think people might not be as cautious when going for maxes on BW exercises. I always feel inherently safer doing them but maybe I am overconfident, not judging that it is still likely to injure yourself as easily.

It would be like parents worried about kids lifting weights but probably not as concerned about gymnastic BW strength training.

I warm up well now but do not do any heavy work under 5 reps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

3 sets of 5, pull up (wide grip)

3 sets of 6, chin up

will try increase the sets by one this week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

fair play.
    now get it up to 5!!!

Got 5 today :D

Can't do dead hang pull-ups though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

rubadub wrote: »
    I think doing heavy weighted ring dips messed up my shoulder over a year ago. I am getting over it now, still feels ropey at times yet my dumbbell overhead presses are in line with what I could do before. My dips & pullups are down, but I am fatter now :(

I think people might not be as cautious when going for maxes on BW exercises. I always feel inherently safer doing them but maybe I am overconfident, not judging that it is still likely to injure yourself as easily.

It would be like parents worried about kids lifting weights but probably not as concerned about gymnastic BW strength training.

I warm up well now but do not do any heavy work under 5 reps.

Gym Ring work was the first type of exercises my body took to quite well after getting back training, free weights took much longer. What happened to your shoulder btw? I find doing Barbell Benching doesn't agree with my shoulder (although it doesn't cause pain, it does niggle and cause slight discomfort) and iv been basically been doing mainly dips and small bit of dumbell benching

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    I am getting over it now, still feels ropey at times yet my dumbbell overhead presses are in line with what I could do before. My dips & pullups are down, but I am fatter now :(

I think bodyfat makes a huge difference for these. Even small changes.
    I've started a 5 x 5 of sorts with pull-ups. Minimal increases every week. I'm using a 1.25kg and a 2.5kg plate to create 3 steps between the each of the 5, 10, 15, 20kg plates. And even something as small as 1.25kg difference is noticeable. Which would be a standard daily flucuation in bodyweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Mellor wrote: »
    I think bodyfat makes a huge difference for these. Even small changes.
    I've started a 5 x 5 of sorts with pull-ups. Minimal increases every week. I'm using a 1.25kg and a 2.5kg plate to create 3 steps between the each of the 5, 10, 15, 20kg plates. And even something as small as 1.25kg difference is noticeable. Which would be a standard daily flucuation in bodyweight.

have found that as well, big lunch or lot of fluids on board can make them more difficult

currently at
    15,10,10 @ bw of 80kg
    8,6,5 @ bw +10kg

tried doing some of those archer/circular motion pull ups the other day first one went well, sharp pain in soulder on second one so put halt to them pretty quickly...might try again though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

Just a quick question for some of you doing weighted chinups - When do you reckon is best to add weight? I'm currently doing 3 sets of 8 unweighted. I've been trying to decide when to add weight - add to the last set now and build up to 3 sets of 8 again before increasing weight or else build up to 3 sets of 12 first.

Unless someone comes up with a better plan, I'll probably try both - I do chinups every second workout and work out every other day. In other words, I do chinups every 4 days. I'm considering something like the following (I'm planning to add in pullups):

Day 1: Weighted Chinups
    Day 5: Bodyweight Chinups
    Day 9: Weighted Pullups
    Day 13: Bodyweight Pullups
    ....repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

You're overthinking it. If you want do weighted chins, just do them. If you can do 3x8, I'm sure 3x5+5kg would be manageable. Once you're using heavier weights, you will get less carry over from one variation to the other so you'll need to practice both anyway.

e: the schedule you've laid out there is pretty good, though you don't really need to do both chins and pull ups unless you want to. If you get stronger at one, the other will improve too.

this 'pull up' challenge is very frustrating

I'm still stuck at 7

in the meantime, my bodyweight dips have increased from 6/7 to 12!!
    number of push ups from 24 to 33

i'm lifting heavier dumbbells for bench, same with shoulder press.
    plus, i've even dropped bodyfat!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

today did +40kg x 5
    +30kg x 5
    +20kg x 10

all chins

i have found best way to add weight is go heavy on first set and then scale it back and maybe add volume on the subsequent sets

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

this 'pull up' challenge is very frustrating

I'm still stuck at 7

in the meantime, my bodyweight dips have increased from 6/7 to 12!!
    number of push ups from 24 to 33

i'm lifting heavier dumbbells for bench, same with shoulder press.
    plus, i've even dropped bodyfat!

What sorta of reps/sets are you using to build up your pullups?

• Advertisement

combination of bodyweight negatives and weighted chins/pull ups.
    I vary the grip a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

I mean you going 2 sets of 10 or 3 sets of 8 or ?

my max body weight pull ups is now at 9

i've been focussing on
    some weighted pull ups
    plus some standing cable pulldowns using wide bar

add in a week of rest

now, can I get it up to 11????

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gym Ring work was the first type of exercises my body took to quite well after getting back training, free weights took much longer. What happened to your shoulder btw? I find doing Barbell Benching doesn't agree with my shoulder
    forgot about this thread -I think I had a rotator cuff injury, I think from not warming up before weighted ring dips too many times. But I think it might have been a straw that broke the camels back type of thing. It got very sore going for a max dumbbell overhead press one time so I laid off the weights and did rotator rehab exercises and went to a physio a while after who said it was all OK.

When I started doing pullups again I could not get my chin above the bar, this was not really a strength issue as I could knock out a fair few chins, I got so high and just could not go higher. It sounds similar to what you found, a fixed bar limited me as my shoulders wanted to turn. I could do neutral grip pullups more than chins too.

I always warm up with bands now. I think I (and maybe others) are not wary enough doing bodyweight stuff, banging out max reps or going for a 1RM without a proper warmup -while never doing that with a barbell on other exercises.
    my max body weight pull ups is now at 9

now, can I get it up to 11????
    I found 10 to be a sticking point, and then 20, as I tend to go for round numbers. I am back up to about 12-14 chins now and was thinking of counting in letters rather than numbers to get over my mental block of 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Toilet training and finishing college is taking its toll. This morning did 4 x 5 and 1 x 8 @ 89kg.

Tesco jaffa cakes are probably the closest in taste to the real deal.

A good thread to bump i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

i'm up to 10, 8, 7 @ bw 80kg +10kg

gonna up to +15kg when i get 10*3 but grip seems to be weak point at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Yesterday I was at my kettle bell class, as only 5 or 6 of us turned up the instructor decided to do a mixed circuit instead of the usual. For the first time at this class he included chin ups.

I got a bar at home last year and have been doing them on and off and despite spending a fair bit of time on them have never been able to get beyond 15 chin ups, and at the moment I would be able for less then that.

Anyway the class I go to has some seriously fit and ripped looking guys in it, who according to themselves are never out of the gym. I went first and managed 13 and was happy enough, what surprised me was what came next, between the 5 of them they hardly managed 15 in total.

Now what I'm wondering is how this happened, is it simply tequniqe, I practice them they don’t, because I really doubt I'm stronger then them, or is it a case of chin ups working specific muscles that these lads would ignore in the gym (and obviously are not worked by the kettle bells to any great degree)

Your lats are a pretty big muscle to ignore in the gym!

Maybe you're just stronger and in better shape than you thought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Michael 09 wrote: »
    Your lats are a pretty big muscle to ignore in the gym!

Maybe you're just stronger and in better shape than you thought :D

I'd aggree with this comment

Your weight to strenght ratio for pulls up is higher than their's. If they train to do chin ups they'll get stronger and be able to to more.

• Advertisement

13???
    seriously jealous

maybe your body was warmed up far more than usual?

they might be ripped gym buddies, but that could be a 'sit-up sick pack', or bulging bi ceps which do sweet f all for doing proper exercises

Advertisement