Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull up/Chin ups Challenge 2012?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Got 5x5 with 15kg lastnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Done 2 x 8 then 1 x 5 & 1 x 3 today @ 85kg.

Will test my max on Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Okay, so I bought a weighted vest and doing pullups/chins feels so different than using the belt with weights attached. 25kg in the vest feels so much heavier than 30kg with the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Would have thought it would be the other way round.
    Vest is more stable though, no plates swinging?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Thud wrote: »

Isolated force on the shoulder joint tho. Not too surprised it's harder.

PRobably better off with a belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Thud wrote: »

M = F x r

Would have thought that the further the force was from the fulcrum, the easier it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

50kg weighted chin-up! Some way to go so.... Apparently your 1rep max chin-up should equal your 1rep max bench? The chin-up is the combination of bodyweight plus the weight on the dip belt. Anybody agree with this statement?

I suppose this depends on your bodyweight and 1rm on bench.

My best 1rm at the time would mean hanging 242lbs off me as I tried to do a chin-up so doubt that would have happened.

Not sure if we ever really did weighted chins - I think in UCD it was not overly feasible.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    It also mentions your Bench Press max should equal your Front squat max & power clean max.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_great_lessons

No chance there on the clean front.

Once again it depends on the max on the bench. Front squat - possibly but not easily.

M = F x r

Would have thought that the further the force was from the fulcrum, the easier it would be.

i dunno, was just talking in terms of comfort, i find the plate swinging a bit distracting.

Would a fulcrum not be associated with a pivot action?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Erm...
    You need to pay better attention to your quoting.
    I didn't post that.
    You should read Dan Johns Article. Never Let Go is free for kindle at the moment.

Liam, A belt or vest will in no way affect the magnitude of the moment M.
    As the change in implement position will occur about the same distance from the fulcrum which in the pullup is about the elbow.....if you really really simplify the movement. Which is also wrong.

The load is still Bodyweight + additional weight about the vertical axis.

• Advertisement

Could you draw us a diagram? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Ah well, Physics was never my strong point.
    Made sense in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'm jealous of all of you since my old shoulder injury means it feels like my shoulder joint is going to explosively separate if I even attempt any sort of pull up/chin up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Hanley wrote: »
    Isolated force on the shoulder joint tho. Not too surprised it's harder.

PRobably better off with a belt.

So far no real discomfort in the shoulders, then again its only been like a week and a half of training with it. Weighted pushups are interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

generally do 3 x 5 with 35kg at 75kg bw

have done 45kg for one before but always end up tweaking my neck straining to get to bar - goal was to get to 50kg for reps but backed off a few times

no way would bench come close to that but can match weighted dips to weighted chins

TheZ wrote: »
    generally do 3 x 5 with 35kg at 75kg bw

have done 45kg for one before but always end up tweaking my neck straining to get to bar - goal was to get to 50kg for reps but backed off a few times

no way would bench come close to that but can match weighted dips to weighted chins

Yeah actually I'd be similar. Ring dipped 25kg 3x5 last week ad would chin around the same right now I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

17 Pull ups. Don't really bother with chins.

Try to up it by one a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I always think this guy has the best work out routine I've ever seen....

....althou the punishment of failure is a bit harse methinks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Liam, A belt or vest will in no way affect the magnitude of the moment M.
    As the change in implement position will occur about the same distance from the fulcrum which in the pullup is about the elbow.....if you really really simplify the movement. Which is also wrong.

The load is still Bodyweight + additional weight about the vertical axis.

That's what I was thinking. The load is still in the same line/plane through the body.

But how the body reacts to the load might differ. Dunno, never used a vest. Rarely a belt.

Also, Bench = Front Squat = Power Clean, to who ever posted it.
    I'd imagine for front squat would be higher than bench. As long as people did both, and didn't spend spend massive amount of time on one or he other.
    Edit: Ah, I read it now and I was taking it up wrong. It says you shoud be able to clean and front squat your bench, if you can't your not trying hard enough. I guess its a response to people who thain lefts and want to be athletes. It goes on to say, that its ok if bench is behind the other too.

For me Front Squat > Bench > Clean
    But thats down to not cleaning properly

^ Well I did bench 501lbs at my best.

I did do some front squatting but given my best squat was in the order of 520lb for 3 reps I can say that I definitely front squatted with 400lbs but cannot remember if I ever got to 440 - not sure but 100% nothing over 440lbs.

As for my cleans - the gym did not approve and when rowing I might have done 231 or so but that was it.

So as you can see I don't share his view.

A 500lb clean would be kind of decent!:D

• Advertisement

But Dan john was talking specifically in relation to his athletes. Training in this like american football.
    You obviously had a bench press bias in your training anyway. And you didn't train cleans, so it wouldn't apply to you.

He wants his guys to be good enough at cleans so that they can clean their bench weight.
    This is very different to saying if you can clean it, you can bench it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

The Guvnor wrote: »
    ^ Well I did bench 501lbs at my best.

Fack had no idea rowers were that strong.

jugger0 wrote: »
    Fack had no idea rowers were that strong.
    Pfft, everyone look stronger in pounds ;)

Damn am I that transparent!:D I bench 8016 ounces - well I did just the once mind.

I would have thought though that a lot of American Football players would have poor cleans in relation to their benching.

Jugger - rowers are not that strong. I was a good 60-70lbs heavier at this stage and doing no cardio when I did that max.

I think the best I ever got to whilst rowing was probably 325-350 or so.

Right now I'd probably bench 130, clean 130 and front squat 150ish, so I guess I'm "balanced".

My bench has been fairly ignored for the past 12 months, as has my front squat.

A year ago it'd have been something like bench 130x5, clean 125ish, front squat 160ish.

Moral of the story - balance is achieved in weakness.

And it's funny - at that time my chin x3 PR was about 10kg heavier than my bench x3 Pr.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Mellor wrote: »
    Edit: Ah, I read it now and I was taking it up wrong. It says you shoud be able to clean and front squat your bench, if you can't your not trying hard enough. I guess its a response to people who thain lefts and want to be athletes. It goes on to say, that its ok if bench is behind the other too.

For me Front Squat > Bench > Clean
    But thats down to not cleaning properly

Its really just Mike Boyle either misrepresenting the content of another article in order to make a big HOME RUN of a sweeping statement or just misinterpreting it.

They are what Dan John said in an article he expects from his athletes.

I assume he would use it as a tool to judge where the work needs to go.
    If you FS 220lb and Power clean 220, but Bench 250lb then the bench is not gonna be the priority in training for the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

good to read the progress
    keep it going

as for me, 9 bodyweight chin ups max
    7 chin ups + 5kg.

I'm doing chin ups because the pull ups place a bit too much stress on the shoulder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

how is this going for everyone??

for me its time to invest in a pull up bar for home and hit out as many negatives as I can 2/3 times a day

Advertisement