Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Irish SOPA Law? :/

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm not saying I agree with this, but at the same time I do agree that if the entire world downloaded everything they needed without paying for it, there just plain wouldn't be any films / songs etc made. Surely this makes sense to people, yeah?

People always say this. It's not true. Michael Bay may not have ever made movies but Spielberg and Scorsese probably would. Kiss and Justin Beiber and Steps may not have ever created music but I can guarantee you Radiohead and Sparklehorse and Pink Floyd would have. Good art doesn't exist because it's profitable, it exists because people love creating it. It's a vocation and a passion for the genuinely creative and talented people (if they can make a living off the back of it at same time, more power to them of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I'm not saying I agree with this, but at the same time I do agree that if the entire world downloaded everything they needed without paying for it, there just plain wouldn't be any films / songs etc made.

Really ...? Ah no... People make music and movies for free believe it or not, amazing isn't it. Try giving it a google ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'm not saying I agree with this, but at the same time I do agree that if the entire world downloaded everything they needed without paying for it, there just plain wouldn't be any films / songs etc made. Surely this makes sense to people, yeah?

I don't think as much films would be made but films would be made. People would donate (e.g. Wiki and many Linux distros) and it doesn't take much money to make a great film (e.g. Primer).

Plus there are alternatives to generate profit from films through clothing, merchandise, product placement etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

The problem is, there is no practical way to stop piracy on the internet, which does not impact upon free speech, or net neutrality; there is no known compromise that doesn't massively threaten free speech on the internet.

There is a partial (albeit probably still not totally clear) explanation, which shows one example of how it is impractical (using The Pirate Bay as an example), here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76681041&postcount=54
    but anyway, this is some scary ass shit going on. Is there anything anybody can do at this point to stop this going ahead?
    Not sure at this point, but if a gigantic fuss isn't kicked up over it now, it will be (imo) much harder to undo once the laws are passed (if not impossible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

strobe wrote: »
    People always say this. It's not true. Michael Bay may not have ever made movies but Spielberg and Scorsese probably would. Kiss and Justin Beiber and Steps may not have ever created music but I can guarantee you Radiohead and Sparklehorse and Pink Floyd would have. Good art doesn't exist because it's profitable, it exists because people love creating it. It's a vocation and a passion for the genuinely creative and talented people (if they can make a living off the back of it at same time, more power to them of course).

Oh I know there are people obviously that make films and music moreso for free, and because they want to and have no drive to make money from it, but for the majority you can't say that they don't do it for profit. it's a business to most.

• Advertisement

stopsopaireland.com on RTE news now. YAY!

Not much criticism regarding the attacks apart form a sound bite but a good 30 seconds dedicated to StopSOPAIreland.

Good news imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Oh I know there are people obviously that make films and music moreso for free, and because they want to and have no drive to make money from it, but for the majority you can't say that they don't do it for profit. it's a business to most.

It is just purely business and profit for a lot of people... and what you get from these people is Justin Beiber and Steps and JLS and Westlife and The Pussycat Dolls and X-factor.

Music (or art in general) won't be what loses out here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

strobe wrote: »
    It is just business for a lot... and what you get from these people is Justin Beiber and Steps and JLS and Westlife and The Pussycat Dolls and X-factor.

Music (or art in general) won't be what loses out here...

really? I dunno that I'd be so sure about that.

People know that the big movie company's have the distribution game sown up too yeah. Your movie dose not get shown in a cinema unless they give you the go ahead.

Did you ever take a look at a good movie on IMBD and then see that it was only on "limited release". You ever see a Paramount movie go on "limited release"..? Sooner the monopoly ends the better..

Never know might see a Von Trier movie in a cinema some time ..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Just spotted this over on theJournal.ie:

EMI Vice President comes out against SOPA and ACTA

How long before this guy gets the boot for not toeing the corporate line?

• Advertisement

Stop SOPA Ireland update.

Less than 18 hours to go and still no indication as to the wording. Just some mixed messages as to what it'll contain :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

A better analysis of Sherlocks statement, by TJ McIntyre:
    http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2012/01/irelands-sopa-will-facilitate-three.html

Highlights, that he may be introducing 'three strikes' laws as well, not just website blocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Emails drafted to each of the TDs in my constituency. Do it! Call if you can.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Emails drafted to each of the TDs in my constituency. Do it! Call if you can.

In your constituency, why not them all. What harm could it do .. :D

Should probably link back here if anyone want email and phone numbers of their TD's etc (letter templates)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056527994

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

SopaIreland being "paused pending full review".

According to a tweet from devore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

"Lovely stuff!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is there any auction site that isn't under threat from blanket bans on sites with copyright infringement ?

ebay could take paypal with them if they leave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

darokane wrote: »
    SopaIreland being "paused pending full review".

According to a tweet from devore

Well I can't access some sites that I usually can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well I can't access some sites that I usually can.

That has nothing to do with what's going on right now.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with what's going on right now.

Isn't SOPA going to make ISPs block sites which infringe copyrights? o.O Am I being mislead?

Isn't SOPA going to make ISPs block sites which infringe copyrights? o.O Am I being mislead?

Yes, but is hasn't been enacted.

If it had the ISPs would be up in arms and wouldn't be able to put it into effect within a matter of hours.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Yes, but is hasn't been enacted.

If it had the ISPs would be up in arms and wouldn't be able to put it into effect within a matter of hours.

Grand. Then this must be a UPC problem :P Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sherlock and a few others on about this on Pat Kenny now.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Sherlock and a few others on about this on Pat Kenny now.

Pat Kenny : Will the judges have the ability to block sites?
    Sherlock : Well, they'll have to take into consideration...
    Pat Kenny : Would they, the judges, have the power to enfoce an injunction to block sites?
    Sherlock : You need to understand...
    Pat Kenny : Yes, they'll have to take the offender ages and all that into consideration but WILL THEY HAVE THE POWER?
    Sherlock : It depends on...
    Pat Kenny : MOTHERFUCKER! WILL THE MOTHERFUCKING JUDGE HAVE THE MOTHERFUCKING POWER TO TELL A MOTHERFUCKING ISP TO BLOCK A MOTHERFUCKING SITE?!

[May not be verbatim.]

And his response...

"My understanding of it is No."

"My understanding of it"?! Is he writing a law or a fucking gospel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dasdog

Paraphrasing here but a piece I caught the end of that:

PK
    If a media content owner such as EMI goes to a judge, will this legislation give that judge the power to block the carrage of certain web sites?

SS
    My understanding of it.......my interpretation of it is no.

TJM
    My understanding of it is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I switched on the radio just now.

Pat Kenny Talking about psychic animals.

Public service broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Anyone record it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Anyone record it?
    Should be able to podcast the segment later.

• Advertisement

Anyone record it?

You'll be able to catch the podcast but it might not be up until tonight or tomorrow.

Advertisement