Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Irish SOPA Law? :/

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

gone are the days where you'd throw a blank tape in and record the radio like that :o look at you lot, with yer podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

gone are the days where you'd throw a blank tape in and record the radio like that :o look at you lot, with yer podcasts
    Sure, home taping killed the music industry, don't you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Is it factually wrong? If you could fill me in with more information on it, that would be nice. It just seems to me this is what this story is about.

The people protected by this are not the creators of content - it is the money men and those that do not need protecting.

Years ago I got a compilation CD and on track 18 or 19 was a band called Sinch. I loved that song, but couldn't get a full album in Ireland. I did not pirate the album...However, years later I suddenly remembered them and went straight to YouTube. Found 'Tabula Rasa' (the song I originally liked) and played it to find........

THEIR FORMER LABEL HAD HIT IT WITH A COPYRIGHT NOTICE AND REMOVED THE AUDIO FROM THEIR VIDEO

/cool story bro'

Does this make sense? No...Is it an example of work being protected so that artists benefit and can feed themselves? No.

I have no problem with people making money from their work and artists being protected...But they are not - the only people benefiting from laws that "protect artists" are the corporations.

On another note, it's ironic that the entertainment industry wants to pass laws that could make sites such as YouTube illegal. It could be used to source talent - oh wait, it was already used to find one of the biggest selling artists in the world who makes them millions. I'm not delighted that Justin Bieber was discovered, but I do find it interesting that he was found thanks to new media.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Seachmall wrote: »
    You'll be able to catch the podcast but it might not be up until tonight or tomorrow.
    Yesterday morning the websites of the Department of Finance and the Department of Justice were hacked. No obvious damage was done, but the websites were down for about an hour.
    Yet another instance where people haven't a clue. DDOSing isn't hacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

ACTA is signed by all of EU and Ireland now btw:
    Today in Tokyo, the EU and 22 of its Member States officially signed ACTA, the anti-counterfeiting trade agreement. The worldwide citizen movement initiated against SOPA and PIPA must now focus on defeating their global counterpart ACTA in the European Parliament.
    http://www.laquadrature.net/node/5095

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

dasdog wrote: »
    Paraphrasing here but a piece I caught the end of that:

PK
    If a media content owner such as EMI goes to a judge, will this legislation give that judge the power to block the carrage of certain web sites?

SS
    My understanding of it.......my interpretation of it is no.

TJM
    My understanding of it is yes.

This isn't just about blocking websites though - it's also potentially about making the "3 strikes" or similar rule apply to all ISPs.

If you look at where this law is coming from, it's also a response to the UPC vs IRMA judgement, where IRMA was trying to strong-arm all the major ISPs to implement the 3 strikes rule.

This is unacceptable IMHO as it not only hands over censorship control to private big business interests outside of the state - it also potentially gives them the ability to decide whether they think you should be able to access internet services at all.

This is practically the equivalent of Microsoft running a bot checking for illegal copies of Windows on all connected PCs in a foreign country - and having the ability to shut off their Internet connection if it thinks that it finds them.

It's right that these things should be dealt with - but by a neutral entity, not by handing over the reins to the lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

Meh

Viva la proxy/VNC.

http://expatshield.com/

1 click & you've got a UK IP address.

Also: Google 'Low Orbit Ion Cannon' & tell your friends if you want to launch your own DDOS attacks on the autocrat scum. Simple to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Niall0001 wrote: »
    Also: Google 'Low Orbit Ion Cannon' & tell your friends if you want to launch your own DDOS attacks on the autocrat scum. Simple to use.

It's also pure toy and you'd probably be better off just refreshing the page repeatedly.

It's also pure toy and you'd probably be better off just refreshing the page repeatedly.
    Err...not when you have a few hundred/thousand people using it at the same time. There's also an online hive out there....not that I'll be posting the link or anything. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

Good enough for Anonymous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

You'll be able to catch the podcast but it might not be up until tonight or tomorrow.

This is up now if anybody is interested in hearing Sherlock talk out of his arse.
    Niall0001 wrote:
    Good enough for Anonymous.
    While individuals using LOIC adds numbers a couple of the Anon guys have access to botnets. Whether they're rented or they own them I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

DonnellyStephen Stephen Donnelly TD
    SOPA-Ireland to be debated in the Dáil today at 3.42pm for 10 mins.
    Live link http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/Web-Live.htm&CatID=83&m=o

A mere 10 mins

This is up now if anybody is interested in hearing Sherlock talk out of his arse.

What I got from that was he doesn't know what it's going to do. :confused:

What I got from that was he doesn't know what it's going to do. :confused:

When he was on the radio on Tuesday (Drivetime I think) he said the law had both been completed and was waiting to be completed.

I really think he has found himself in over his head and has no idea what he is doing.

Niall0001 wrote: »

Illegal as fu­ck too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i don't really have an issue with ileageal down loading i think it should be stopped.. how ever i think companies need to open them selves more to the digital world...

as for going through my data of what I'm browsing i feel slightly uncomfrotable about that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Great debate from both TjMcIntyre and Pat Kenny. Terrible performance from Sherlock!

EDIT: In other news .. check out these take-overs from Anonymous! http://rihannaonline.net/ , http://davidguetta.co/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I got the sense from Sherlock on Kenny's show that he's not fully aware of what he's trying to pass and is waaaay over his head or that he's a conniving cùnt trying to pass it off as a bit of harmless law, knowing what effects it'll bring down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So... look who has changed his website and removed the offending copyrighted graphics.

http://www.seansherlock.ie

Achilles wrote: »
    So... look who has changed his website and removed the offending copyrighted graphics.

http://www.seansherlock.ie
    The Wordpad icon is still there. And it still doesn't have a privacy policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I got the sense from Sherlock on Kenny's show that he's not fully aware of what he's trying to pass and is waaaay over his head or that he's a conniving cùnt trying to pass it off as a bit of harmless law, knowing what effects it'll bring down the line.

I didn't see the show but I'd agree completely from the other bits I've read and heard from him.

He's been rambling on about the same thing over and over, i.e. Mr Justice Charleton's judgment in EMI & Others vs UPC, and not really understanding the issues at hand, or the impact of the judgment in light of some of Charleton's (somewhat flawed) points

Nicely done Dev.

Also

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/DailFlash512KB.htm

For Dail debate on Irish SOPA live.

what the **** is he saying at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

"We've had an email storm, we're about to have a hurricane". I smiled when yer wan on the live stream said that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You really need to ring your local TDs and explain it to them.

Put your concerns in simple, non technical terms showing how it might impact your business ,employment prospects, investment in your community etc

Then explain that if they support the law, you will not be voting for them.

Remember your local TD is likely to be in their 50s or 60s and is also likely to be Internet illiterate. So, imagine you're explaining this to your granny when speaking to them.

This state has a habit of shooting itself in the foot to please Brussels and the international lobbyists .... See : banking suicide pact bailout for details.

what the **** is he saying at all?

He flapped his lips for 4 minutes but managed to avoid actually saying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

www.seansherlock.ie is now showing up saying "this page cannot be displayed"

so he's saying that ISPs will not be monitoring our usage, but if anyone has concerns about their copyright being infringed on they can get an injunction against the person in question...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Why the hell is he saying the stakeholders need to sit down together and discuss - of course they do but that's not the issue at all! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Solair wrote: »
    Remember your local TD is likely to be in their 50s or 60s and is also likely to be Internet illiterate. So, imagine you're explaining this to your granny when speaking to them.

I voted for Donnelly. Can we make Donnelly minister for the internet? I think he'd be good at that.

Advertisement