Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have used TW one or two times and when I did - the car in question was pulled over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

RainyDay wrote: »
    I've had a number of TrafficWatch complaints processed, up to the point where fixed penalty notices were issued by the Gardai. ....
    Jesus. wrote: »
    I bet you're bloody proud of yourself

I've put through a couple of reports to TW to cover serious situations that, in my mind, were life threatening. One ended in a prosecution (there was another witness besides me) and one with a caution being issued.

Am I proud I did it? No, it's not something most people would be proud of doing.

Am I glad I did it? Absolutely. Hopefully the two idiots involved learned their lesson before they seriously hurt someone.

Or put it another away it's only because they were driving like tools that they ended up being reported.

Anyway, I'd be all for the Garda following the lead of the Met and setting up a system whereby people can submit cam footage for investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Mc Love wrote: »
    Have used TW one or two times and when I did - the car in question was pulled over.
    When you ring TW, you get through to a civilian call centre in Castlebar. The report is then sent to the relevant local station. It used to be sent by fax, but I'm not certain if that is still the case. There is no expectation or commitment of immediate action for TW reports.

At best, by phoning TW for urgent issues you are adding another layer into the process. At worst, your report will sit on a fax machine or in-tray until the next shift arrives. Call 999 or 112 if you see something dangerous.

Sobanek wrote: »
    HE STILL A SNITCH! :pac:
    I bet you're bloody proud of yourself
    I'm not sure if I'd use the word 'proud', but I am pleased about the fact that a few drivers who put their wish to shave a few minutes off their commute ahead of my safety and the safety of other road users (including many schoolkids) got a clear message that they can't pi$$ around and get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Jawgap wrote: »
    ... setting up a system whereby people can submit cam footage for investigation.

This is the problem. As we've seen on here over and over again, videos are edited to suit the poster, not show the full incident. Many times people are antagonised into reacting badly. I'd only agree with reporting if the proceeding 10 minutes of footage were submitted with all complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

gutteruu wrote: »
    This is the problem. As we've seen on here over and over again, videos are edited to suit the poster, not show the full incident. Many times people are antagonised into reacting badly. I'd only agree with reporting if the proceeding 10 minutes of footage were submitted with all complaints.

To be honest I'd say if you want to submit footage, the whole file should have to be sent it. It shouldn't be 'too easy' to submit a complaint this way either otherwise the system would just be swamped.

Here's what the Met say
    Some points to bear in mind regarding video submissions: Videos should be submitted within 48 hours of the event. Footage should be of high quality and include at least two minutes before and two minutes after any incident. For prosecution purposes, video evidence can only act as corroboration. This means that you will need to attend a police station and give a written statement and must be prepared to attend court to give evidence in person.

Videos should not be edited in any way. They must not rely on a perception of distance such as a close pass as the apparent distance will vary according to the type camera and settings. There are other issues with video evidence, such as parallax error, which makes objects appear close together when they are seen in line. In general, evidence of provocation or disproportionate reaction will mean that no action is taken.

• Advertisement

Only relevant in road rage incidents tbh, a bit pointless in the case of (cross traffic) red light jumpers for example.

Only relevant in road rage incidents tbh, a bit pointless in the case of (cross traffic) red light jumpers for example.

This is true. The other issue I have with reporting is peoples opinion/perception. Someone doing 40kph on a motorway being passed by people doing 120 might class them as lunatics.

For the most part, I think policing should be left to police as they were trained specifically for that, but putting others at risk needs to be reported. Its a tough one.

I am 100% against reporting people to their employers that people done here a few times. Doing a person out of a living because he cut into your lane or jumped a red light is a total pr1ck thing to do. No justification for it!

The Gardai made this point to me, though they didn't have specific guidelines like the sensible Met ones. My camera recycles every 5 minutes, so I usually ended up giving them 1 or 2 five-minute files.
    I am 100% against reporting people to their employers that people done here a few times. Doing a person out of a living because he cut into your lane or jumped a red light is a total pr1ck thing to do. No justification for it!
    The decision to 'do a person out of a living' is the employers decision, and I can't see any employer doing this because somebody cut into a lane. Most sensible employers that I have dealt with see the reports as a good learning opportunity for all drivers, rather than a time to shaft one particular driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

irishmover wrote: »
    I'm sure he is. Helping get dangerous and wreckless drivers off the road is something that I couldn't use any other word for. The probable case is that the more of these people get found out and prosecuted the less road traffic accidents we'll have. Thus inevitably the less fatalities on roads.

It would be interesting to see how these types of people who go around reporting others for all sorts of meaningless tripe (I'm certain most of it is) would react if there was a secret Cam fixed to their car and were called up a month or two later to be informed that they'd broken a number of "rules" (which again, I'm positive they would have because of the technical nature of the rule book vs real World driving) and were given a good dressing down.

They'd most likely first react in denial (I'm a perfect driver, I never break any rules. I report others. This is not the way its supposed to be), then denial again followed by a deep depression because they can't come to terms with how they're not the perfect, upstanding citizen of law and order they thought they were.

In short, they'd have an inglorious climb down off their plinth and perhaps turn their minds to getting a life rather than going around drooling at the prospect of finding a fellow citizen they can grass up to the authorities.
    irishmover wrote: »
    I question your motives for considering this a bad thing.

I consider the whole premise of people peeping out from behind the net curtains (or windscreens) touting on one another in return for a pat on the head and a moment of self righteous satisfaction, contemptible.

(I'm not talking about outrageous situations where lives are actually at risk. But shaving FFS? Not best practice and I wouldn't do it myself but most likely someone sat in traffic, going nowhere and rubbing one of those electric razors across their chin. Its not exactly someone doing doughnuts in the middle of the M50 at 3 in the afternoon. As I said above, some folk need to get a life.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Doing a person out of a living because he cut into your lane or jumped a red light is a total pr1ck thing to do.
    jumped a red light is a total pr1ck thing to do.
    I fcuking HATE red light jumpers

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    The decision to 'do a person out of a living' is the employers decision, and I can't see any employer doing this because somebody cut into a lane. Most sensible employers that I have dealt with see the reports as a good learning opportunity for all drivers, rather than a time to shaft one particular driver.

Oh how laudable of you to Police the streets for us and teach us the error of our ways. Who do you think you are, Batman? Not only do you have you a direct line to the Guards but you've reported people to a number of their employers too :rolleyes:

You say "sensible" ones which implies others must have told you to fukk off.

Hopefully most of them have sent you packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This thread is rapidly degenerating and heading in the same direction as the old "Abnoxious Parking" thread of a few years ago.
    Can we get discussion of Traffic Watch etc to a separate thread and get back to the videos please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

^^ report the posts, it is one or two specific people that are going out of their way to drag the thread down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sobanek wrote: »
    HE STILL A SNITCH! :pac:

The likelihood is that he's 17 or older, not 12.

franksm wrote: »
    report the posts.

Oh the irony...

K.Flyer wrote: »
    This thread is rapidly degenerating and heading in the same direction as the old "Abnoxious Parking" thread of a few years ago.
    Can we get discussion of Traffic Watch etc to a separate thread and get back to the videos please.

Only 1 page and 15 comments since the last video. Will people calm the f*ck down. Its just a discussion (on a discussion forum).

If you want videos, post videos.

Only 1 page and 15 comments since the last video. Will people calm the f*ck down. Its just a discussion (on a discussion forum). If you want videos, post videos.

Will do, apologies. That's my last post on the subject.

Only 1 page and 15 comments since the last video. Will people calm the f*ck down. Its just a discussion (on a discussion forum).

If you want videos, post videos.
    OK, not mine though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

4/10 :P

I bet they even got out and were unbelievably polite about the whole thing. Although I do have visions of 'I'm not your buddy, pal; I'm not your pal, buddy' and then someone asking what this was all 'a-boot'. :pac:

Thanks for getting it back on topic though!

Oh how laudable of you to Police the streets for us and teach us the error of our ways. Who do you think you are, Batman? Not only do you have you a direct line to the Guards but you've reported people to a number of their employers too :rolleyes:

You say "sensible" ones which implies others must have told you to fukk off.

Hopefully most of them have sent you packing.
    No, the TrafficWatch isn't my direct line. It's open to anyone. Presumably the Gardai thought it was a good idea to make it easy for people to report traffic issues, but perhaps you know better, Jesus?

Some employers have ignored me, but no employer was rude to me. Well, to be more accurate, they appeared to ignore me, I've no idea what went on inside the organisation.

It would be interesting to see how these types of people who go around reporting others for all sorts of meaningless tripe (I'm certain most of it is) would react if there was a secret Cam fixed to their car and were called up a month or two later to be informed that they'd broken a number of "rules" (which again, I'm positive they would have because of the technical nature of the rule book vs real World driving) and were given a good dressing down.

They'd most likely first react in denial (I'm a perfect driver, I never break any rules. I report others. This is not the way its supposed to be), then denial again followed by a deep depression because they can't come to terms with how they're not the perfect, upstanding citizen of law and order they thought they were.

In short, they'd have an inglorious climb down off their plinth and perhaps turn their minds to getting a life rather than going around drooling at the prospect of finding a fellow citizen they can grass up to the authorities.
    Yes, denial and climbdown is one possibility. The possibility is that the person might say 'oh dear, I didn't realise I was doing that, I'll be more careful in future, and I'll take whatever penalty comes on the chin'. I know it's a bit less dramatic, but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Seriously, I copied and pasted the last one and it ended up going on for 3 pages. I think it's time to take it somewhere else. Sorry to back seat mod but it doesn't take much to copy some posts and have the discussion in it's own thread. Well until it runs on for pages that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Heres one fresh off the presses from 1 hour ago. This one got my adrenaline going, and I hands down admit it was my fault due to loss of concentration.

3 cars infront of me, we're approaching a roundabout.

Car 1 (the front car) indicates right to pull into the hard shoulder shortly before the roundabout. You can see this at about 18 seconds into the video, in the distance.

Car 2, in the middle has 1 or more issues with his rear lights. one of them is out at least. Might be a contributing factor to what happened.

Car 3, who is in front of me seemed to have noticed a bit late but stopped in a mannerly and appropriate fashion, and comes to a full stop with no issues.

Me.....I was looking straight ahead, but I was daydreaming (ironically about insurance prices), I was not expecting anybody to be stopped on the road. I was doing about 80km/h at the time which is about normal for that area. The speed limit is 100km/h.

I notice the cars are stopped far too late, I apply the brake heavily, foot to the floor holding it as hard as I could, the front wheels lock and skid (you can faintly see the smoke infront of my car).

Realise I'm not going to stop in time. literally shout "JESUS CHRIST!" and turn the steering wheel to the left in a last second hope to avoid a collision..

By some absolute fúckin miracle I stopped about 1m or less from the lovely new 141 cars bumper. Some eye opener it was.

Enjoy

4/10 :P

I bet they even got out and were unbelievably polite about the whole thing. Although I do have visions of 'I'm not your buddy, pal; I'm not your pal, buddy' and then someone asking what this was all 'a-boot'. :pac:

Thanks for getting it back on topic though!
    Anything to try and get back on track.:P

Phew, close one there HairBelly. All's well that ends well though, eh? :)

Good thing that you were not tailgating there, that video provides a perfect reason to leave a gap between you and the car in front.

As it was you used up all but 1m of it, better than -20cm though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Unless he has a spare pair handy I bet I can guess the colour of hairybelly's underwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Good thing that you were not tailgating there, that video provides a perfect reason to leave a gap between you and the car in front.

As it was you used up all but 1m of it, better than -20cm though. :pac:

Yeah, actually scary to think that if I started braking 1 second later I wouldnt have had that meter to spare.

It all happened so fast yet it was kinda in slow motion, I just saw the bumper coming towards me and was nearly sure I was going into it.

Probably my first real close call, I'm still excited a bit. Tis a dangerous place to be turning though, dozens of carpoolers regularly park up on that hardshoulder for the day and most people dont expect a car to be stopped or turning like that before a roundabout.

From what I hear, theres been a quite a few near misses in that exact location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

You don't belong in this forum HairyBelly. You are supposed to blame everyone else but yourself for this happening and not admit its your fault. Then you are supposed to fight with every other poster for the next 3 pages before leaving in disgust at how no one understands but you. Get with the program man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

hairybelly wrote: »
    Heres one fresh off the presses from 1 hour ago. This one got my adrenaline going, and I hands down admit it was my fault due to loss of concentration.

Anyone honest will admit they've had this happen at least once. Probably more than once. Fair played to owning up and posting the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

hairybelly wrote: »

3 cars infront of me, we're approaching a roundabout.

Car 1 (the front car) indicates right to pull into the hard shoulder shortly before the roundabout. You can see this at about 18 seconds into the video, in the distance.

Car 2, in the middle has 1 or more issues with his rear lights. one of them is out at least. Might be a contributing factor to what happened.

Car 3, who is in front of me seemed to have noticed a bit late but stopped in a mannerly and appropriate fashion, and comes to a full stop with no issues.

Me.....I was looking straight ahead, but I was daydreaming (ironically about insurance prices), I was not expecting anybody to be stopped on the road. I was doing about 80km/h at the time which is about normal for that area. The speed limit is 100km/h.

I notice the cars are stopped far too late, I apply the brake heavily, foot to the floor holding it as hard as I could, the front wheels lock and skid (you can faintly see the smoke infront of my car).

Realise I'm not going to stop in time. literally shout "JESUS CHRIST!" and turn the steering wheel to the left in a last second hope to avoid a collision..

By some absolute fúckin miracle I stopped about 1m or less from the lovely new 141 cars bumper. Some eye opener it was.

Enjoy

What tyres do you have on there? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement