Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endurance Racing News Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

could barely sleep last night i was like a kid at Christmas, this is the only race that has this effect on me, only half an hour to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,062 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Pity eurosport not free to air... Do have it in Germany though, better than nothing. Hope it's a good race, doesn't look very sunny there

Pity eurosport not free to air... Do have it in Germany though, better than nothing. Hope it's a good race, doesn't look very sunny there

English coms for you here http://direct.sharp-stream.com/radioshow.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Was spitting rain until about an hour ago and pretty wet this morning but it's not too bad now. Bit cloudy and a decent wind to blow it away for the opening stint hopefully!

Grim. wrote: »

Cheers, they usually have better commentary anyway

• Advertisement

Some great close racing, would be great if this sort of thing lasted into the race

massive crash for the aston

massive crash for the aston

Yeah, gonna be a bit of delay with this safety car. Shame because the first three laps were superb. Looked more like a touring car race rather than a 24 Hours! Impressed by the speed of the Rebelion initially to keep pace with di Grassi's Audi.

It was raining pretty hard (here on the pit straight) once the race started but it's now a very light drizzle. Interesting though that the Toyota's looked much more comfortable.

not overly surprised by Toyota's pace atm more Audi's lack of pace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

not overly surprised by Toyota's pace atm more Audi's lack of pace

Classic Audi tactics. Hope the Toyotas don't race off into the distance and break down, Peugeot style.

• Advertisement

Fuel sensor issue with the #48 Murphy Prototype that required a change of ECU

Pity safety car out so long, will be interesting to see if any change of pace when racing resumes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Audi looking strong

Sitec wrote: »
    Audi looking strong

Very early in the race though, not even three hours on the clock, and with scattered showers in the air here I wouldn't rule anything out. Toyota changing tyres could make a huge change to the outcome of the first half of the race. Audi will have to change at next stop, in a about 7 laps time.

I'll be out trackside from six o'clock onwards so won't be here until later tonight (probably around half ten or so) but I'll try and post a few pics onto Twitter and some observations of the cars etc.

RIP Allan Simonsen terrible news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

RIP Allan Simonsen terrible news :(
    +1

There were reports that he was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Shocking stuff, I know it looked like a bad accident but people survived a lot worse.

ARGINITE wrote: »
    +1

There were reports that he was fine.

****ing Carlton Kirby talking ****e again with out knowing the facts :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Reports on Eurosport that the Aston driver from the earlier crash has died.

Yes he has - RIP Allan Simonsen :( - 1st race fatality since 1986. RIP. Id interviewed him last year, good guy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Sitec wrote: »
    Shocking stuff, I know it looked like a bad accident but people survived a lot worse.

Motorsport is Dangerous - someone killed at VLN4 today too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Watching on Speed in the US.

Go Number 48.

Murphy Prototypes.

Anyone know anything about them?

Great Video of Allan Simonsen doing what he did best, driving the nuts off a GT car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I was reminded earlier that today would have been Dan Wheldons Birthday - then the tragic news came through from Le Mans about Allan.

Motorsport gives unbelievable highs and tragic lows - Allan Simonsen RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Very sad to see, puts a massive damper on what was otherwise a cracking start to the race.

Personally I didn't think it was as bad as it looked, but I haven't seen the incident properly so I'll wait before I comment again.

Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Even without seeing a full replay the distorted condition of Simonsen's Aston showed that massive forces must have travelled through the car on impact, huge likelyhood of injury despite all the safety restraints. The commentators suggested a bunch of cars in front of him may have blindsided him to some hazard resulting in him spearing off at the gradual right turn at Tertre Rouge.

A dreadful day, taken all the joy out of watching it. Thankful at least that its so rare these days. RIP Allan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Even without seeing a full replay the distorted condition of Simonsen's Aston showed that massive forces must have travelled through the car on impact, huge likelyhood of injury despite all the safety restraints. The commentators suggested a bunch of cars in front of him may have blindsided him to some hazard resulting in him spearing off at the gradual right turn at Tertre Rouge.

A dreadful day, taken all the joy out of watching it. Thankful at least that its so rare these days. RIP Allan

He got out of shape all on his own and the car almost went perpendicular into the barriers, horrible accident.

Tragedy aside, its good to see Audi get some problems in the past 45mins and now with Audi 1, Toy 2,3 we have a race.

It's always tough when we hear of anyone paying the ultimate price for racing but unfortunately every driver and every rider knows the risks once they tighten up the chinstraps. Motorsport is a dangerous sport and today we got another tragic reminder of that with both accidents. We take a lot for granted in the sport with regards to safety and given the last two years have seen rallying, Indy Cars, MotoGP, Superbikes, F1 and Sportscars all effected by deaths and serious injuries it is clear that once again we need to take stock of the situation. God speed to Allan and thoughts go out to his family, friends and team but at least here he is doing what he loved from Thursday evening
    BNZGHRUCAAAaYDp.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Media reporting that after the accident he was conscious and talking to medical staff. Didn't think it looked that bad either.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/22/us-motor-racing-mans-simonsen-idUSBRE95L0A920130622

RIP.

Last I saw The Irish car was in 12th place in p2. Thats up two places from a few hours ago. They've changed drivers too.

I'm curious. Nobody knows anything about them? "Murphy Prototypes"? There's a big Irish flag on the bonnet.

• Advertisement

Massive crash with number thirty. Driver was okay and walking around. The car is done though.

Advertisement