Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Curry Addict, would you by any chance have a recipe for Onion Bhajis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Curry Addict, would you by any chance have a recipe for Onion Bhajis?

i will root one out for you in the next few days ;)

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I am finally getting around to making the curry base today, it's now in a giant pot on the stove doing its thing. I am very very very excited about the slew of curries in my future!

I am finally getting around to making the curry base today, it's now in a giant pot on the stove doing its thing. I am very very very excited about the slew of curries in my future!

i guess you might have tried one by now. Hope it works out well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Does anyone know where I could get all the spices? I'm based in maynooth. I can travel into Dublin but I have a one month old baby so Id prefer not to be trying multiple shops while carting him along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Does anyone know where I could get all the spices? I'm based in maynooth. I can travel into Dublin but I have a one month old baby so Id prefer not to be trying multiple shops while carting him along
    You'd get them in mostAsian shops. Are there any out in Maynooth or towns close maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

If you are really strapped and cannot get to a shop, Spices of India in UK, they will deliver, and prices are on par with here, as far a sIncan see. Delivery time is quite good too.

Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

Will Lemongrass keep for very long. Or what would be the best way to keep them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Fonthill near Liffey Valley there would be the closest Asian grocer to my knowledge. There used to be a small one in Maynooth but he closed down after a short stint.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Fonthill near Liffey Valley there would be the closest Asian grocer to my knowledge. There used to be a small one in Maynooth but he closed down after a short stint.

Thanks everyone. Is that fonthill retail park or is there another area? I only know it from going to my NCT over there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Thanks everyone. Is that fonthill retail park or is there another area? I only know it from going to my NCT over there :)

Yes the retail park. It's on the opposite side of the NCT block, so you turn right before you reach the NCT. It's well sign-posted. Shop is called Eurasia.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Yes the retail park. It's on the opposite side of the NCT block, so you turn right before you reach the NCT. It's well sign-posted. Shop is called Eurasia.

Lovely that's dead handy with parking and everything. Since I'm sitting around the house all day I figure I can give these a go!

i guess you might have tried one by now. Hope it works out well.
    eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Well?

Sorry, not yet! I did the base and masala on Sunday afternoon, today I went to the Asian market to get fenugreek leaves and tomorrow we are having Chicken Rogan Josh for dinner. I will report back then with a photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Lovely that's dead handy with parking and everything. Since I'm sitting around the house all day I figure I can give these a go!

Eurospar in Pennyhill also has a surprisingly good selection of spices. It's not as extensive as Eurasia though.

jimfinoc wrote: »
    Will Lemongrass keep for very long. Or what would be the best way to keep them?

we keep ours in a glass of water just like a plant. it keeps for ages.

coolmine industrial estate, very near the blanchardstown center has a zillion asian shops.
    If your in the city. There is a nice one on Mary street beside "Medina". I usually get stuff there as i like to pop into Medina for a bite too :pac:

Curry Addict, as I type I am in the company of a very happy and well-fed husband. We had the chicken rogan josh for dinner and it was really excellent.

In a fit of stupidity, I attempted to cook the meat, some veg and the rice all at the same time whilst also trying to clean the kitchen and talk on the phone. Things got a bit hectic, the veg got sidelined and the husband was summoned to fetch emergency wine to stop me having a kitchen meltdown.

Once I got my cool back the curry turned out GREAT. My two main comments are (1) this is quite spicy - next time I will use less chilli powder. I may have had to douse mine in natural yogurt after it was plated :o. I am obviously a bit of a spice wuss; (2) your portion sizes are massive. I only cooked one portion and it was loads between the two of us.

Thank you so much - fab recipe and we will be making it again. Enjoying some cold wine to cool my mouth down now!!

rogan%20josh_zpsrfl94br4.jpg

Curry Addict, as I type I am in the company of a very happy and well-fed husband. We had the chicken rogan josh for dinner and it was really excellent.

In a fit of stupidity, I attempted to cook the meat, some veg and the rice all at the same time whilst also trying to clean the kitchen and talk on the phone. Things got a bit hectic, the veg got sidelined and the husband was summoned to fetch emergency wine to stop me having a kitchen meltdown.

Once I got my cool back the curry turned out GREAT. My two main comments are (1) this is quite spicy - next time I will use less chilli powder. I may have had to douse mine in natural yogurt after it was plated :o. I am obviously a bit of a spice wuss; (2) your portion sizes are massive. I only cooked one portion and it was loads between the two of us.

Thank you so much - fab recipe and we will be making it again. Enjoying some cold wine to cool my mouth down now!!

lol im glad it worked out well for you. it looks great. i never have enough even with a full portion lol. I find the rogan josh very tame indeed maybe your chilli powder is very strong....

• Advertisement

Aye, perhaps I shouldn't have used the jar marked "very hot chilli". I also shouldn't have been so generous with my teaspoon measurements!

We're going to make your korma on Monday and I can't wait. I daren't post the calorie count I calculated for it, suffice to say we'll be splitting one portion, using light cream and having broccoli and hardly any rice! Looks delicious though, I will let you know how we get on.

Aye, perhaps I shouldn't have used the jar marked "very hot chilli". I also shouldn't have been so generous with my teaspoon measurements!

We're going to make your korma on Monday and I can't wait. I daren't post the calorie count I calculated for it, suffice to say we'll be splitting one portion, using light cream and having broccoli and hardly any rice! Looks delicious though, I will let you know how we get on.

nice, you can try out all the different curries now whenever you like.

I recommend this chilli powder its great stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Curry Addict, I have a suggestion:

1) Write a book or even make a printout of your recipes
    2) Create a Spice Club that people can subscribe to and every x months in the post they receive a pack of lovely fresh spices divided into manageable quantities/packets
    3) Profit

I'd sign up!

GoodBridge wrote: »

2) Create a Spice Club that people can subscribe to and every x months in the post they receive a pack of lovely fresh spices divided into manageable quantities/packets
    3) Profit

I'd sign up!

As would I - Ebooks are quite easy to publish with Amazon these days. 0.99c for a book of your amazing recipes, plus all of us to give you the old 5 Star treatment in the reviews = cha ching!

lol sounds like a plan, maybe i will do this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

GoodBridge wrote: »

3) Profit

I'd sign up!

Me too

lol sounds like a plan, maybe i will do this :)

Do. Honestly it's actually very easy to publish digitally now. I've written ibooks for my students and the learning curve is not steep at all

Curry Addict,

By any chance do you have any soup recipes? something with a bit of a kick?

Thanks in advance

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Curry Addict,

By any chance do you have any soup recipes? something with a bit of a kick?

Thanks in advance

my favorites that i make a lot are this one -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057384359

best way to describe it is a chilli soup. it has a nice spice level to it and it works fantastic with chicken as well as fish.

i also love tom yum soup ill dig out my recipe for that if you like. Its totally addictive. At one stage i ate it everyday lol

• Advertisement

my favorites that i make a lot are this one -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057384359

best way to describe it is a chilli soup. it has a nice spice level to it and it works fantastic with chicken as well as fish.

i also love tom yum soup ill dig out my recipe for that if you like. Its totally addictive. At one stage i ate it everyday lol

Great stuff , I would love to try the tom yum.

Thanks again

Advertisement