Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You missed a bit getting it into to the bowl! ;)

Fairplay CA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Great vid Curry Addict. I'm kinda laughing here as I have the exact same habit of stirring the pan and then always banging the spoon three times. And just like you on occasion its sometimes four times for good measure but generally three :D

Its a bit like the way I can't use a set of kitchen tongs without giving them a few test clicks first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Great vid Curry Addict. I'm kinda laughing here as I have the exact same habit of stirring the pan and then always banging the spoon three times. And just like you on occasion its sometimes four times for good measure but generally three :D

Its a bit like the way I can't use a set of kitchen tongs without giving them a few test clicks first :pac:

lol funny what you notice when you watch cooking :)

The ingredients and order they go in etc...

ginger/garlic paste -> heaped tsp
    dried red chillies -> usually 2 large long ones.
    tomato paste (1 tbs tomato puree cut with 4tbs water)-> 1.5tbs used
    curry masala (1good tbs), chilli powder (1tbs), fenugreek leaves (1tsp), salt (.75tsp).
    cook until oils are released and rise to the top.
    curry base -> 1 ladle.
    again cook down until oils are released and rise to the top.
    curry base again.->1.5 ladles
    meat
    lemon juice -> 1tbs freshly squeezed.
    coriander leaf -> 1tbs.

I also like to add 1/2 a tomato, i didn't have one yesterday and its no biggie....

Where did you get the pan?

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »

they are commonly sold in Asian shops in the UK. I got my sister to pick one up for me. They are relatively cheap, £10. They are built to last forever and no worries about food sticking. well worth the purchase imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The ingredients and order they go in etc...

ginger/garlic paste -> heaped tsp
    dried red chillies -> usually 2 large long ones.
    tomato paste (1 tbs tomato puree cut with 4tbs water)-> 1.5tbs used
    curry masala (1good tbs), chilli powder (1tbs), fenugreek leaves (1tsp), salt (.75tsp).
    cook until oils are released and rise to the top.
    curry base -> 1 ladle.
    again cook down until oils are released and rise to the top.
    curry base again.->1.5 ladles
    meat
    lemon juice -> 1tbs freshly squeezed.
    coriander leaf -> 1tbs.

I also like to add 1/2 a tomato, i didn't have one yesterday and its no biggie....

Loved the video. As I said on YouTube, you make it look so easy. Any more Vids planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭irishproduce

they are commonly sold in Asian shops in the UK. I got my sister to pick one up for me. They are relatively cheap, £10. They are built to last forever and no worries about food sticking. well worth the purchase imho.

Is there a name on it curry addict?
    Would be interested in finding one online myself

If you search for an aluminium pan, you'll get them - This is an example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ipac-Grandi-Cuochi-Aluminium-Fry/dp/B0052WSA30/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1420717698&sr=1-1&keywords=aluminium+pan

I got one in my local Pakistani Spice shop for 15 quid, similar to Curry Addicts, just bigger

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Loved the video. As I said on YouTube, you make it look so easy. Any more Vids planned?

thanks for the kind words. the cooking method is similar for most curries so no real need for more vids :)

• Advertisement

no name/branding or anything on mine.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    If you search for an aluminium pan, you'll get them - This is an example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ipac-Grandi-Cuochi-Aluminium-Fry/dp/B0052WSA30/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1420717698&sr=1-1&keywords=aluminium+pan

I got one in my local Pakistani Spice shop for 15 quid, similar to Curry Addicts, just bigger

i would worry about the handle of this one getting really hot.

mine measures 26cm when measured from the the top edge, oneside to the otherside. Its perfect size imho. A bit bigger would be good also as you get a bit of splashing when you stir and bigger means less on your clothes and cooker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

Any of you guys and gals out there use Paneer Cheese in their cooking.
    Suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Do those pans offer non stick? I hate pans with stuff sticking to em

BaZmO* wrote: »

I have an old steel wok I bought about 30 years ago in Dublin after doing a chineese cooking course in Marino Teck.
    Never had a problem with food sticking. After use, I always put a drop of oil in it and rub it around to stop rust.

Do those pans offer non stick? I hate pans with stuff sticking to em

they don't stick whatsoever. in the video you can see that it is necessary to scrape a lot around the edge of the pan. this is because curry tends to cling there but not stick. great even heat distribution also.

they don't stick whatsoever. in the video you can see that it is necessary to scrape a lot around the edge of the pan. this is because curry tends to cling there but not stick. great even heat distribution also.

I think too, it's important for the curry to stick to the side, creating a lovely caramalisation

Quick one for ya CA -

I've no lemon juice at home. I'm mad to make your Madras tonight. What would you think of substituting in Malt Vinegar, or would that be crossing the line into vindaloo territory?

i use same amount of white wine vinegar sometimes instead of lemon juice in the madras as i really like the balls it gives a curry :)
    Malt vinegar is stronger and rougher so id go easy with it and taste. You just want a hint of sour cutting through it so I'd try 1tsp and taste to see, 2tsp will probably do it.
    good luck with it :)

i use same amount of white wine vinegar sometimes instead of lemon juice in the madras as i really like the balls it gives a curry :)
    Malt vinegar is stronger and rougher so id go easy with it and taste. You just want a hint of sour cutting through it so I'd try 1tsp and taste to see, 2tsp will probably do it.
    good luck with it :)

Cheers, I'll report back!

Edit: so, I found lemon juice.

Curry Addict, I gotta tell ya. I've had a lot of Madras' in my day. But, I followed your video to the tee. And I never. I mean NEVER! Had as nice a madras as I've just had.

I think all along, I was using too much tomato paste, and not allowing enough time for the spices to cook before adding the base. Now I know, and WOW. Curry heaven.!

• Advertisement

nice, i'm glad you got a lot out of it and it has improved your curries. Its great when you hit that point that they are better than what you get from a restaurant or takeaway. your homemade curry will usually be much fresher and using better quality ingredients. that comes through as you can start to isolate all the individual flavors and actually taste everything.

there are some subtle things going on that you can see in the video. before i add the spices to the pan i drop the heat to minimum to give time for the oils to come out without burning them. when i add the curry base the heat goes back to max.
    some other improvements are freshly squeeze lemon juice and long dried red chillies at the start for a little bit of smokey chilli flavor.

Look what I got! :)

335446.jpg

€12.49 for both.

wow great buy. so spill the beans, where did you get them :D

wow great buy. so spill the beans, where did you get them :D

Ha, in the excitement I forgot to say. I got it in Eurasia off the Fonthill Road. The one I got was €10 and it's 10"
    They had a smaller one there (about 8") and it was €8.....obviously it's €1 per inch! :)

They had another one there that was closer to the one you had. It was in a section of the shop that I had never been in. I suppose it was always there, just never noticed.

I'm actually typing this while I'm waiting on the onions to cook down in the pressure cooker. After all this time I'm finally getting around to making it!

I'm doing the lighter version of the recipe and I halved it (8 onions, etc.)
    I upped the amount of water as I wasn't sure about putting such a small amount into a pressure cooker.

Looking forward to trying some curries later! :)

nice i haven't been in eurasia in a couple of years so I guess they started to stock these in the mean time. great price 1€ and inch.
    no need for more water in the pressure cooker the onions will release a lot of juice. the aluminum pan does take a bit of getting used to, to get the best out of it.
    you will be having your curries late then tonight, gl with it :)

I would like to learn more about indian / asian cooking. I live near Boyle in Roscommon. Anybody out there know of acooking course in the North West area that would suit?

So after what felt like an epically long amount of prep I had this for dinner last night....Late! (Had unexpected guests so I was about 2 hours later that I should've been!). Made the Chicken Rogan Josh and Chicken Korma. Wow! Amazing. As the OH said, "It's exactly like a take out curry" :)
    The prepared meat was a revelation, so tender.

I made it again tonight and it was so much easier as everything was essentially already done.

335589.jpg

Funnily enough, I thought the Korma was a bit too sweet last night so I reduced the amount of sugar tonight but it didn't taste as nice as last nights.

Thanks CA, really looking forward to trying the other dishes now. I have a good bit more Curry Gravy left so I'm gonna freeze it. I'm thinking about freezing it in batches of 6 ladles? Enough for 2 curries. I know it depends on what curry you make but I'd rather have too much than not enough.

Looks amazing, i'm glad you got a lot out of it. The chicken is great alright, its nice to know where it comes from and that its fresh. I hate the way some places give really low quality chicken its a real put off :mad:

I recommend trying the madras next. After the madras or the vindaloo there is no going back! :)

i usually do 7 ladles to be sure to be sure...

Looks amazing, i'm glad you got a lot out of it. The chicken is great alright, its nice to know where it comes from and that its fresh. I hate the way some places give really low quality chicken its a real put off :mad:

I recommend trying the madras next. After the madras or the vindaloo there is no going back! :)

i usually do 7 ladles to be sure to be sure...

Have to second the madras recommendation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Finally got my hands on fenugreek leaves 50g for 95c at Eurasia. Whipping up some good Indian later this week.

Advertisement