Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Heroditas wrote: »
    Gagomes, you said you rated Degi Mirch as a 4/10 in terms of heat. Which ones would you rate as much hotter? I'm in the market for a very nice hot powder.

I don't typically buy very hot powder, as I have quite a bit of trouble with gastric reflux, so I am not entirely sure I would be the best person to answer this question :-(

However, I once bought a prepacked mix powder called 'Basar Curry Masala', it's from a pakistani brand Al Noor and 90% or so of it's contents is chilli. Not like the 'chilli powder' you see pre-packed, where the content is a "paprika'ed down" chilli powder to tone down the heat. I used 1/4 of a tsp of this masala and could barely finish the dish.

96f1c6b7461973a2e74d3ccd79db040c.jpg

And for serious heat, I was told by a chilli-head that I met in Birmingham when I had some indian cookery lessons, that Naga Jolokia Chilli Powder
    is the real deal and I'm not surprised as the pepper from which it comes is amongst the top 3 of hottest peppers with something like 1,000,000 scoville units (for comparison, a jalapeno is somewhere between 3,500 and 10,000 scoville units)

You can purchase it online from this site:https://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Naga-Jolokia-Chilli-Powder.html#SID=2215
    If you do buy/try it, please let me know your opinion. If you would like to sample some basar mix, I still have the bag full and I could post you some for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

there is a couple in kinvara galway who grow naga,scotch bonnet,carolina reaper ,trinidadian scorpion chillies ,at the fri market there every week, got a bottle of the scorpion sauce,and the scorpion plant too to grow my own. wont be as intense as the originals but are still mega hot. for those wanting xtra heat and fruity kick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

there is a couple in kinvara galway who grow naga,scotch bonnet,carolina reaper ,trinidadian scorpion chillies ,at the fri market there every week, got a bottle of the scorpion sauce,and the scorpion plant too to grow my own. wont be as intense as the originals but are still mega hot. for those wanting xtra heat and fruity kick

It's possible to grow Scorpions as hot as the originals but they need to be kept somewhere that's VERY warm such as a sun room or patio with the temperature consistently well over 20 degrees.

I've grown them in the glasshouse and they are very hot but not as hot as I'd like them to be.

Heroditas wrote: »
    It's possible to grow Scorpions as hot as the originals but they need to be kept somewhere that's VERY warm such as a sun room or patio with the temperature consistently well over 20 degrees.

I've grown them in the glasshouse and they are very hot but not as hot as I'd like them to be.

be getting a proper tunnel next year and will go mad myself trying to create a monster lol

i though i might add this recipe, as people may want some new things to try.
    This is my current addiction it would fit the Hot/very spicy category. The flavors are full on but never get too much imho.

Its definitely my firm favorite at the moment.

Chilli Masala

1 chef spoon vegetable oil.
    1.5tsp tsp ginger/garlic paste
    1.5tbs tomato paste
    (Optional) 4 green chillies(slit down the middle and deseeded)
    1tsp chilli powder
    1tsp fenugreek leaves
    1tbs curry masala
    1tbs Pataks Chilli pickle
    0.75 tsp salt
    1 ladel of curry base
    precooked meats
    1.5-2 ladels curry base
    1tsp lemon juice
    1tbs chopped coriander

Just after finishing a portion of this using half a teaspoon of Carolina Reaper powder instead of regular chili powder.
    Hot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Curry Addict, by any chance would you have a recipe for
    Chicken Adraki?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Curry Addict, by any chance would you have a recipe for
    Chicken Adraki?

sorry i dont have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

sorry i dont have

Ok CA, thanks anyway.

Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

can I ask about those (ceramic?) curry pans for sale somewhere over in Liffey Valley/Fonthill. Which shop sells them, Im intending to pick up two soon

Muahahaha wrote: »
    can I ask about those (ceramic?) curry pans for sale somewhere over in Liffey Valley/Fonthill. Which shop sells them, Im intending to pick up two soon

Probably Eurasia supermarket? It's up beside Power City. Well worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

curry night tomorrow night, plan on a lamb biryani and a few other curries. would it be ok to cook up the lamb mix tonight then finish off tomorrow with the rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

blueshed wrote: »
    curry night tomorrow night, plan on a lamb biryani and a few other curries. would it be ok to cook up the lamb mix tonight then finish off tomorrow with the rice.

I think it was said before that any of the pre cooked meats could be frozen for use again (open to correction!). I'm sure if you were to pop them into the fridge, and reheat with the rice when needed, they'd be sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I think it was said before that any of the pre cooked meats could be frozen for use again (open to correction!). I'm sure if you were to pop them into the fridge, and reheat with the rice when needed, they'd be sound.

got sidetracked last night so didn't get a chance, cooking the biryani as i type.

did a chicken madras yesterday, and marinaded chicken tandoori.

today have already cooked a cauliflower and potato curry, mushroom bhaji and prepared the biryani.

next up will finish the biryani plus cook some basmati and boiled rice.

blueshed wrote: »
    got sidetracked last night so didn't get a chance, cooking the biryani as i type.

did a chicken madras yesterday, and marinaded chicken tandoori.

today have already cooked a cauliflower and potato curry, mushroom bhaji and prepared the biryani.

next up will finish the biryani plus cook some basmati and boiled rice.

Any chance of sticking up a few pics when you've done? That all sounds mouth watering!

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Any chance of sticking up a few pics when you've done? That all sounds mouth watering!

feck that,sounds like he has loads...whats the address :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made your chicken biryani for dinner. Instead of shredding the chicken, I left them as they are and put them under the grill for crispy skin. In the rice itself I reduced the chilli (for kids), added raisins, peas and spinach, and boiled eggs to finish. I would've loved some cashews or pistachios but haven't got any left, thanks to late night TV movie munching. So so good.

IMG_20150829_193029_zpsgl0wxzq9.jpg

Looks amazing, i would happily dive in there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

In some recipes It tells you to add, say, 3 garlic cloves and, say, an inch of garlic. If I have some Ginger / Garlic paste how do I work out the spoons.

jimfinoc wrote: »
    In some recipes It tells you to add, say, 3 garlic cloves and, say, an inch of garlic. If I have some Ginger / Garlic paste how do I work out the spoons.

I would use a heaped tablespoon of ginger/garlic paste in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just add to taste. If a recipe says 3 cloves of garlic - I add half a bulb. If it says 1 clove - I still add half a bulb.

If you love garlic - try 3 tsp. If you don't - just try 1 tsp.

• Advertisement

Just add to taste. If a recipe says 3 cloves of garlic - I add half a bulb. If it says 1 clove - I still add half a bulb.

If you love garlic - try 3 tsp. If you don't - just try 1 tsp.

OK. The recipe I'm looking at wants 13 cloves of Garlic and 55g of Ginger. This is for a paste I'm making up.

jimfinoc wrote: »
    OK. The recipe I'm looking at wants 13 cloves of Garlic and 55g of Ginger. This is for a paste I'm making up.

I would just weigh out the ginger then and use 13 cloves of garlic first time making it.

I would just weigh out the ginger then and use 13 cloves of garlic first time making it.

I have made this sauce before. It was just that when I want to make it yesterday, I had not got enough ginger or garlic as I wanted to double the recipe. I had a tub of garlic ginger paste to hand but did not know how to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Curry Addict, I'm relatively new to Boards and the Cooking Club but came across this last week and made the Korma at the weekend. Given the success of that (even the picky eater demolished it), i'll definitely be going back to try some of the other recipes. Fair play on sharing such gems. Thanks a million.

Mellifera wrote: »
    Curry Addict, I'm relatively new to Boards and the Cooking Club but came across this last week and made the Korma at the weekend. Given the success of that (even the picky eater demolished it), i'll definitely be going back to try some of the other recipes. Fair play on sharing such gems. Thanks a million.

glad you got a lot out of the recipes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Curry addict, are you as masterful with other curries or just Indian curries?

I'm looking to make a beef rendang, can never get it right and going by the feedback here I figured if anyone can help the the curry addict can help me!!

So....can you?

Cheers,

frAg

frag420 wrote: »
    Curry addict, are you as masterful with other curries or just Indian curries?

I'm looking to make a beef rendang, can never get it right and going by the feedback here I figured if anyone can help the the curry addict can help me!!

So....can you?

Cheers,

frAg

Every time i have ordered one in a restaurant it has been very different place to place. i can cook a tradition beef rendang and it is totally delicious. Can you describe what "right" is?
    I am off on holiday in a couple of hours so ill post up the recipe and method next week. As i remember it takes a couple of hours to cook and the key thing is identifying when its is "ready" and that can take some experience. it also has a zillion calories in it btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just looking at attempting the Tikka Masala on page one but where do you buy the ingredients such as mace powder, cardamom powder etc? I'm assuming my local Tesco won't have such things.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Just looking at attempting the Tikka Masala on page one but where do you buy the ingredients such as mace powder, cardamom powder etc? I'm assuming my local Tesco won't have such things.

You might find cardamom pods in Tesco, mace definitely not. If you had a pestle / mortar, you could make the cardamom powder with the seeds.

May be wrong, but I think you could substitute nutmeg for mace.

Your best bet is, if you have a local ethnic food store, you'll find the spices. That being said, Tesco have a new range of stuff (all own brand) that have international flavour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

bren2001 wrote: »
    Asia Market
    D02 W017
    Not much use if you're in Clifden but HTH

Advertisement