Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    On an Indian restaurant curry mission here - curry base simmering away, now prepping the chicken. Not sure what to cook yet, maybe luminous chicken tikka and chicken rogan josh. Don't have fenugreek leaves though. Can I replace it with curry leaves?

It's a bit late probably, but curry leaves and fenugreek (or kasoori methi) are not interchangeable. They have different flavor profiles and the fenugreek lends to bitterness (and it's quite pungent too) - however, that's not to say you will do any harm if you choose to. It's just the expectation may be off.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Goncalo - Would you have any recipes / tips for Lamb Biryani?

What are you looking for specifically? A lot of restaurants serve a byriani that is not really a byriani, it's just a pilau rice stirfried with vegetables and pieces of lamb (which typically is mutton) and then there is the traditional byriani. I've done both and I am happy to provide guidance, I unfortunately don't have any recipe written for it. :-)

I finally made your curries, CA 😃
    Man alive!

Nailed it on the head. Tikka masala looks fab... got me thinking about making some curries on the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

gagomes wrote: »
    What are you looking for specifically? A lot of restaurants serve a byriani that is not really a byriani, it's just a pilau rice stirfried with vegetables and pieces of lamb (which typically is mutton) and then there is the traditional byriani. I've done both and I am happy to provide guidance, I unfortunately don't have any recipe written for it. :-)

Really, what I'm trying to nail down is the takeaway restaurant style Biryani you'd typically recieve here in Ireland. I've had a hard time getting it right through traditional methods. I usually end up with gloopy rice. I've tried washing it for ten mins before using, and parboiling also. But nothing seems to work.

I'd be interested in finding out about the stir fried method you've mentioned though.

A tip i'd like to pass on to everyone here, when using chicken fillets. I found that washing the fillets prior to use yields amazing results. Wash the fillets under cold water, until they are less pink (you will see all the striations appear too). This runs all the saline out, which adds to the chicken being tough and chewy. When the chicken is then prepared as set out by curry addict, it turns out really really tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've tried Curry Addict's Chicken Biryani a good few times now, although I've yet to try it with lamb. It's superb. Probably have to use the search bar at the top to find the recipe, I'm on mobile so not sure which page it's on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've tried Curry Addict's Chicken Biryani a good few times now, although I've yet to try it with lamb. It's superb. Probably have to use the search bar at the top to find the recipe, I'm on mobile so not sure which page it's on.

Just went looking for it and it does sound delicious; I think I'll be giving it a go over the weekend :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87103622&postcount=229

I've used it myself too (twas me originally requested it!). I just like to try different variations. I've yet to nail the restaurant style though for biryani.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

I've used it myself too (twas me originally requested it!). I just like to try different variations. I've yet to nail the restaurant style though for biryani.

I posted the sauce here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87241830&postcount=251

Ill dig out the rice recipe over the weekend.

I posted the sauce here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87241830&postcount=251

Ill dig out the rice recipe over the weekend.

Oh, Curry Addict - I've seen this and used it. Love it too. As I do the rice recipe (have them printed, and in the drawer beside the cooker!)

Just looking for different variations is all!

Really, what I'm trying to nail down is the takeaway restaurant style Biryani.

So, for this you need 2 basic staples of indian takeaway:

- pilau rice
    - pre-cooked lamb

A basic recipe would be something like (apologies, but I'm doing this from memory):

3 tbsp of oil
    1 (dutch onion, sliced finely
    1 tbsp of ginger/garlic paste
    1 egg (optional)
    1/4 of a pepper sliced finely (normally I slice red and green together very finely, like matchsticks)
    .5 tsp of black cumin seeds (shahi jeera)
    .5 tsp of cumin seeds
    1 tbsp of curry mix powder
    1 tej patta or indian bay leaf
    1 tbsp of ghee
    1 pinch of garam masala

In a wok or large sautee pan, heat the oil and add the onions and the pepper. Cook until golden brown. Strain them and set aside for garnish.

To the remaining oil add cumin and black cumin and the bay leaf. Let it cook until the smell of cumin becomes apparent. Add the garlic and ginger paste, let it cook until it just starts to change color (do not let this burn or brown), add the tsp of mix powder and let it cook for a minute or so.

Fill a 650ml container of rice and pre-heat it for 2mins in the micro-waves (make sure it's piping hot, If rice is hot, it will absorb the oil less, which means the end product will be less soggy/stodgy.)

Add 6-8 pieces of lamb and some stock left from the pre-cooking stage (about a tbsp will do) to the wok, warm the lamb through and then crack the egg over the contents in the pan wait til the egg starts to go white, salt to taste and finally add the rice and start stiring it in swirling/stir-fry motion at every odd 5 seconds for about a minute and a half. Add the ghee and the pinch of garam masala.

Garnish with fresh coriander, cuccumber and the fried onions.

• Advertisement

This was written very long time ago. I don't think I've ever reviewed this, so bear that in mind and if anything sounds funny, there's a good chance I messed up so bring it to my attention and I'll be happy to clarify :)

Gagomes three-stage Curry Base:

Stage 1:

100 ml of oil
    1450g of onions (peeled and quartered)
    1 tbsp of sugar
    1 tbsp of salt
    1.5 tbsp mix powder (b.e)
    1 tbsp of turmeric
    2 tbsp of g&g paste
    1 green pepper (100g)
    1 yellow pepper (100g)
    1 fresh bullet chilli (optional, I excluded it the last time.)
    2 medium small carrots (140g)
    20 gm of coriander
    Water to fill about 1" above the level of the vegetables (the veg will probably float when you add the water, but you get the idea)

Method:

1. Everything into the pan on high heat until it starts boiling and then lower it to a vibrant simmering for 1hour and half.
    2. Blend it.

Stage 2:
    200 ml of v. oil
    1tbsp of veg. ghee
    1tbsp of g&g paste
    1tbsp of mix powder (b.e)
    1/2tbsp Deggi Mirch (Brand MDH)
    400ml tin of plum tomatoes (blended)
    15-20g creamed coconut block (18g used)
    small pinch of salt

method:

1. Pick a small pan and heat it up for 10-20 seconds on medium-high flame then add the oil and ghee
    2. Add g&g and start mixing with chef spoon around to avoid garlic from burning and sticking. It should sizzle once it hits the oil.
    3. Add deggi mirch and mix powder, stir and let the spices infuse a little into the oil.
    4. Add the blended tin of plum tomatoes and stir on and off for 3-5mins, cook most of the rawness and the water out of it.
    5. Add salt and slowly crush the coconut into, stirring until it dissolves/makes the contents of the pan lumpy/creamy, once melted turn off the heat.
    6. Blend

Stage 3:

1l of water

method:
    Join the 2 stages together and blend/sieve/blend. The consistency at this stage should be like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSr03TXzTQ, a bit thicker than runny milk.
    Add 1L of water and bring to the boil and then simmer for 30-40 mins until it reduces a little and flecks of oil come to the surface. Remove any scum as it appears. the usual deal. If the base is too thick at the end, add more water.

For the health conscious, decant the oil on top of the base, keep it aside to use when cooking the curries, as it will already be flavored.

Recipe:

Chicken Korma:

350 ml of base
    1 lvl chef spoon of ground almonds
    1 hpd chef spoon of coconut flour
    100 ml of coconut milk
    1/2 tbsp of carnation milk (I used the squeezable bottles) (optional)
    1 chef spoon of sugar

method:

pre-heat the pan for 30 seconds on high, then add the almond and let it "toast" to enhance its flavour.
    After 30 sec add a ladle and a half of base sauce (about 200ml) and stir until all the almond has been mixed into the base.
    Add a pinch of salt.
    Now add the coconut flour and wait until the the base starts to boil. Add coconut milk around the edges of the pan and let it boil.
    Add chicken and sugar.
    Cook for another 3minutes.
    Add carnation milk
    Serve

Garlic Chilli Chicken

350 ml of base
    2 tbsp of oil
    1 tsp of garlic paste
    1 tsp of ginger paste (optional)
    3 garlic cloves cut in thick julienes
    1 hpd tsp of mix powder
    2 tbsp of thinly sliced onion
    1.5 tsp of dry methi leaves
    3 tbsp of tom puree
    1/4 of salt
    1/4 green pepper, sliced.
    2 cloves of garlic, cut in juliennes
    3-5 fresh green chillies
    1 tsp of finely chopped coriander
    1 portion of chicken
    1 tomato wedge

Method:

Heat a pan for 30 secs, then add the oil and let it come to heat (5-15 secs).
    Add chillies, green pepper and garlic julienes.
    Add the 2 spoons of separate g&g, stir until the sizzling stops
    Add mix powder, methi and stir.
    Add garlic julienes and onion and tom puree, stir and let the onions cook just a little (i.e translucid).
    Add first ladle of base and stir and let it come to temperature.
    Once it starts bubbling, add the chicken.
    reduce the base, scrape well.
    Add coriander and tomato wedge.
    Add second ladle
    Optional: pinch of GM.

This was written very long time ago. I don't think I've ever reviewed this, so bear that in mind and if anything sounds funny, there's a good chance I messed up so bring it to my attention and I'll be happy to clarify :)

Gagomes three-stage Curry Base:

nice base, very similar to the one i originally posted. Also the cooking method. It looks a touch richer though.

I recommend you check out post #202
    The cooking method particularly is much improved. The pressure cooker method particularly gives the best result.

nice base, very similar to the one i originally posted. Also the cooking method. It looks a touch richer though.

I recommend you check out post #202
    The cooking method particularly is much improved. The pressure cooker method particularly gives the best result.

CA, great effort - I haven't found the time to read through all the pages in here so far, but I'm starting to see I am missing out! I just had a look at #202, it seems interesting - I might actually give it a try, seeing as I am tyring to be a bit healthier, but can't seem to avoid going for indian food 2-3 times a week.

My base is a mixture of a base from a bengali chef and my experiments. It's been polished up and this version sort of closed the gaps I noticed and I felt happy enough with and I decided to stop making changes.

I don't know if I mentioned it in my recipe, but I normally use a 12L pressure cooker for this and it SAVES time! However, this is something I found interesting about your polished base in #202, so I have some questions, if you don't mind.

You claimed that you either simmer the base for 2.5 hours (e.g cook it on lowest gas with lid) or you cook it in the pressure cooker. As I understand it, you're using two completely different approaches/methods, which I am assuming result in different final products. Have you ever compared/noticed any differences? :)

Here's a home lesson I got last year in Birmingham

Jalfrezi

Pathia

Extra hot vindaloo (super phal strength)

Imli Imli at Abs in Birmingham

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Great post Gagomes, defo will give it go very soon.

I wish I could smell it.

You claimed that you either simmer the base for 2.5 hours (e.g cook it on lowest gas with lid) or you cook it in the pressure cooker. As I understand it, you're using two completely different approaches/methods, which I am assuming result in different final products. Have you ever compared/noticed any differences? :)

they both yield a similar result although the pressure cooker method is superior imho.

Nice share with the videos thanks for that! The amount of chilli power in the Phall is insane lol. I loved the simplicity of the Imli Imli it looks great. What is it as it doesn't look like a full portion?
    whats the pot of red stuff, pureed tomato?
    I need to watch them all again in detail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The amount of chilli power in the Phall is insane lol.

:D I was thinking the same thing!

The amount of chilli power in the Phall is insane lol. I loved the simplicity of the Imli Imli it looks great. What is it as it doesn't look like a full portion?
    whats the pot of red stuff, pureed tomato?
    I need to watch them all again in detail :)

At one point we were all coughing in that kitchen (it was me, the house owner and the chef there) and it wasn't just merely chilli powder, it was extra-hot chilli powder. Incredibly hot stuff. I didn't even bother to try it. A tsp of extra-hot chilli powder would have me awake all night with stomach issues.

The pot of red stuff is a pathia sauce, it's a sweet and sour sauce and it is essentially sunflower oil, tej patta (asian bay leaves, or cassia leaves), 2 chef spoons of tomato puree (paste), mango chutney, sugar and a 10-15 second squirt of lemon juice and extra red coloring.

The imli imli was just a starter, made up onions, tikka and imli sauce (a concoction of tamarind, mango chutney and something else which they didn't share) - it was very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What's in the pot at the 4.40 mark in the Phal video?

Some sort of veg?

Are those just raw whole chillies that you throw in just after the meat?

I'll definitely have to have a go at that method. I'd tend to just use your stage one as my base but I like the extra layer you add.

I do like a hot vindaloo but not 3-chef-spoons-of-hot-chili-powder hot.

Gbear wrote: »
    What's in the pot at the 4.40 mark in the Phal video?

Some sort of veg?

Are those just raw whole chillies that you throw in just after the meat?

I'll definitely have to have a go at that method. I'd tend to just use your stage one as my base but I like the extra layer you add.

I do like a hot vindaloo but not 3-chef-spoons-of-hot-chili-powder hot.

The pot at 4.40 is precooked potato with coriander floating on top.

A bit of history and explanation: The difference between a Madras, a Vindaloo and a Phal is the amount of chilli. Essentially it goes like 1tsp of chilli for a madras, 1tbsp for a vindaloo, 1 chef spoon for a phal (and then, there are regional differences, in which takeaways may add a few extra bits and bobs for each dish) - give or take

Because the name "Aloo" in vindaloo stands for potato in "hindi" somehow they started adding a few pieces of potato to this dish.

However, the vindaloo is a dish imported from Portugal, when Goa used to be one of our colonies (I'm portuguese, btw) and it's original name is Vinhas de alho - the aloo in vindaloo is an "indianization" of the portuguese word Alho, which means garlic in Portuguese. So, the original dish was essentially made of pork preserved in in garlic and wine (or vinegar) and now it's taken a completely different shape! :)

The chillies are fresh indeed and I think they were added just for garnish, or just to add an extra kick (I really have no idea how Rob was able to slurp that but he did and while I noticed he struggled with it, he manned up the whole lot!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I love superspicy but Phal normally puts me off because of the raw taste of chilli powder.

I love superspicy but Phal normally puts me off because of the raw taste of chilli powder.

Yes, that happens a lot, because the chefs have no clue how to cook chilli properly. The video I enclosed had no powdery taste... It's all in the technique :)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Wow, just wow. Got all the ingredients this weekend and will hopefully either during the week or next weekend get around to cooking it. The dropbox link with the word doc is down, I'll make one myself but am also thinking about making a small program that I could upload to github so it could be searchable and modifiable (particularly for the base gravy, how many litres/portions desired etc). I will post the link if I ever get around to it.

A few questions if you don't mind:

Measurements
    Are tbs and tsps kitchen spoons or "measuring spoons"?
    Are the spoons heaped, rounded, or flat?

Scaling
    Great to know the base can be scaled in half or doubled or whatever suits. I'm pretty sure you've stated elsewhere though that the currys themselves don't scale at all though, doubling the portions throws the results out of kilter. It's not so bad as I'm just normally cooking for two but lets say I'm cooking for 4 and want to make 4 of the same? Could I cook up 4 individual curries earlier in the day and them put them all together in one pot to be reheated together later or will that kill the freshness of the curry? Would leaving out the last minute of cooking on a high heat until reheating time combat this issue?

Buying Dried Leaves Online
    Where I live in Europe getting fenugreek leaves can't be done. Is it ok to order online and if so, do you have any recommendations? On a related note, I've read that light can kill stored spices. I'm lucky enough to have a larder that just has a lightbulb and no natural light. Will my jam jar stored spices be ok under this light or do I need to find a box for them?

Thanks again Curry Addict, really looking forward to trying this out!

Cork Boy wrote: »

Consider that chefs use a a serving spoon (aka "chef spoon") - which may vary from 2 to 4 tbsps and dip it into the container of whatever spice they are trying to use get at any time, they don't really look at the exact quantity of spice per se, they try to be within a certain amount, which is always an approximate measure (not to mention this will probably have a great miss rate when the kitchen is busy on a friday or saturday night). Furthermore, the specifics are only needed if you are trying to scale up/down drastically or factorizing the cooking process. If uncalled in the recipe, it is assumed rounded/flat.

My personal opinion, I started doing this type of food and bought tons of gadgets, including measuring spoons/cups, chef spoons, precision and kitchen scales and ultimately, it matters very little. It's very unlikely that if you add a round vs hpd spoon of a given spice, you will not notice the difference unless it's drastic enough or you are watching out for it.

I find that spicing food is a bit like mixing in an equalizer. There is no "perfect" mix, it's always about balance and trade-ofs...

You can cook 4 curries and put them together and reheat, but you can also cook them all at once. The problem with scaling curry is that you have to be aware of which spices can safely be scaled out and how/when. It takes a bit of practice/experience, but you have to think of what each spice individually is bringing to the food. For example, chilli adds color, but it also adds heat. The more you add, the hoter it gets, so you cannot safely just multiply the amount when scaling up if you want the curry to remain edible (that is, if you are not a chilli head). As an example, on a recipe for 1 that calls for a single tsp of chilli, I'd go with 1.5 - 1.75 tsps of chilli when scaling that same recipe to 4 portions. Taste it as you go is the most fundamental trick in any kind of cuisine and it's a very important skill to master! If you add turmeric, you also need to be careful as it needs to be cooked properly. Too much turmeric, and your food starts to have this earthy-like taste. Fenugreek adds a herbal flavour but also some bitterness, it's normally there to balance the sweetness of the tomato and or sugar, etc. Stuff like base sauce, can be multiplied straight away (perhaps even add one extra ladle of sauce for buffer, as you will be unlikely to make perfect divisions of the portions)

I'm not affiliated with http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/ but I find they have all the stuff you will ever need. This is the one I use at home and that the takeaways I've been to appear to use:

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/MDH-Peacock-Kasoori-Methi-Fenugreek-Leaves.html#SID=2103

It's dried fenugreek, it's pungent and if you can't find it, you may live well without it. I found it hard to like it's smell and the fragrance it added to the food when I first started, but I love it now. :)

P.S: Don't bother buying fenugreek powder or seeds. They are different. they add something else to the dish, which is mostly bitterness without the herbal part! They are good for pre-cooking vegetables. Please post the pictures of your curries when you get on with this :)

As an example, on a recipe for 1 that calls for a single tsp of chilli, I'd go with 1.5 - 1.75 tsps of chilli when scaling that same recipe to 4 portions.
    http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/MDH-Peacock-Kasoori-Methi-Fenugreek-Leaves.html#SID=2103

Please post the pictures of your curries when you get on with this :)

Did not know that, thank you very much! will post pics but prob won't be until the weekend!

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Wow, just wow. Got all the ingredients this weekend and will hopefully either during the week or next weekend get around to cooking it. The dropbox link with the word doc is down, I'll make one myself but am also thinking about making a small program that I could upload to github so it could be searchable and modifiable (particularly for the base gravy, how many litres/portions desired etc). I will post the link if I ever get around to it.

Measurements
    Are tbs and tsps kitchen spoons or "measuring spoons"?
    Are the spoons heaped, rounded, or flat?

Scaling
    Great to know the base can be scaled in half or doubled or whatever suits. I'm pretty sure you've stated elsewhere though that the currys themselves don't scale at all though, doubling the portions throws the results out of kilter. It's not so bad as I'm just normally cooking for two but lets say I'm cooking for 4 and want to make 4 of the same? Could I cook up 4 individual curries earlier in the day and them put them all together in one pot to be reheated together later or will that kill the freshness of the curry? Would leaving out the last minute of cooking on a high heat until reheating time combat this issue?

Buying Dried Leaves Online
    Where I live in Europe getting fenugreek leaves can't be done. Is it ok to order online and if so, do you have any recommendations? On a related note, I've read that light can kill stored spices. I'm lucky enough to have a larder that just has a lightbulb and no natural light. Will my jam jar stored spices be ok under this light or do I need to find a box for them?

Thanks again Curry Addict, really looking forward to trying this out!

all the measurements tsp, tbs etc in the recipes are flat. i believe in exact measurements to a certain extent. Balance in asian food is critical and the only way to achieve it is to use exact measurements and adjust to taste. That being said, there is a wide variation in strengths of ingredients so "getting to know" your ingredient is important and measurements need to be adjusted accordingly. As gagomes points out, indian chefs then to use the chef spoon for everything and its a fairly course measurement. Hence why sometimes you get a great curry in perfect balance and other times its not quite perfect, its really annoying!!! lol.

your right about the cooking of the actual curries they don't scale unfortunately.

If cooking multiple curries in advance, i recommend storing each in its own bowl. Give them a stir, then 2 mins in the microwave, stir again and serve.

I wouldn't be so worried about light affecting spices in a normal kitchen environment. I would make sure they were airtight for sure.

good luck with the recipes!

Hence why sometimes you get a great curry in perfect balance and other times its not quite perfect, its really annoying!!! lol.

In my experience and from talking to a few restaurant owners, the main reasons for this are:

1. Head chef's day off, so the owner or one of the dishwasher/peeler takes over.

2. Busy kitchen, dishwasher/peeler joins to help

So watch out. Most head chefs tend to take a break on the Monday or Tuesday. The Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the days I have, statistically speaking, gotten more disappointment with my orders.

The reason being that the base sauce and most prepared ingredients are normally prepared one day in advance (but, it varies establishment to establishment)

My favourite food chef on youtube, just released a video on an easy-to-make chicken tikka masala. If I had all the ingredients at home tonight, this would be my dinner.

So I was planning on doing the base and meats last night but by the time I had the ginger and garlic paste made with a small and crappy pestle and mortar and then I forgot ground cumin when shopping so I had fun grinding toasted cumin seeds in said crappy smooth pestle and mortar :(

That said, I did get to cook my chicken and my girlfriend gave it a taste and said "that's the best curry you ever made!". I must say just the chicken with the cooking sauce was gorgeous, gonna take some dishipwin to leave it alone until the rest are made! I had bought a chicken and butchered it myself so only did two fairly large breasts but there's loads of cooking sauce left over so I'll reheat that and throw in the skinned thighs and wings too.

Base gravy tonight and finished product on Friday evening! I'll be sure to post up a few pics.

A big thank you to CA and gagomes.

• Advertisement

One last thing, I'm currently cooking the base but the water barely comes up to a centimeter so the (whole) onions are more steaming in the initial phase more than anything else. They're nearly like glass at this stage but I'm not getting that acidic smell with 40 mins to go, they actually smell rather sweet, like when i roast whole onions with my chicken.

Is this ok? I'm guessing/hoping the initial 2.5 hours onion cook is just about that, the onions being cooked whole nice and slowly and then when adding water and spices it'll all come together?

Can't get fresh coriander where I live in Europe :mad:

Advertisement