Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there no Irish fighters in the UFC?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

As the title asks "Why are there no Irish fighters in the UFC" (or Strikeforce).

I was asked this during an interview yesterday and it got me wondering. What's your take on it guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Our top level is below the UFC bottom level at the moment, it's ever improving and i do feel in a few years we will have a slow but steady flow of fighters getting run outs

That's not to say the very best fighter in certain weights is below the bottom level but overall i would say it is, in saying that some of the ultimate fighter fighters are not all that good and get run outs but after been in the house there ready made names for the show.

People like watching elite fighters or at least fighters they know, non elite fighters that you don't know is a turn off to most fans of the UFC in my opinion.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Biggest issue I see is the low level of wrestling in the country

Plus only 3 BB BJJ guys

Might not be a popular answer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Biggest issue I see is the low level of wrestling in the country

Plus only 3 BB BJJ guys

Might not be a popular answer

There are some really good wrestlers both in MMA and out but the general standard is low. There still seems to be some clubs out there who don't know some of the fundamentals of clinch work. There's also about 7 or 8 black belt BJJ guys now Jason I think.

I actually don't think that the level of coaching is the issue, rather the level of competition, while improving, is low. There are 3 or 4 guys at each weight who would literally blitz the rest of the division which means there are very few fights on the island for them. Exclusive contracts to promotions don't help issues in that regard though in fairness most guys who are contracted exclusively to one of the promotions tend to get more international bouts.

I can see things improving now though and from judging/commentating I see an improvement in the level of fights generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I think that one of the reasons is MMA itself has evolved so much over the last 10 years, as was noted Ireland was already behind due to lack of wrestling and BJJ. However we've developed at a rapid pace and continue to develop. Our top level guys are now not too far behind the UFC competition.

I also feel it will be the case as with many countries that if in few years time Irish fighters sign for the UFC you won't just see one within the year but a handful.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

Im working on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭garrybergin

I know he is not exactly "Irish" , but Gunnar Nelson (formerly Irish trained) must be at that level now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Pretty simple.

Not good enough at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

There is lots of kids training now that are as good as most adults in Ireland and still have 10-15 years to vastly surpass that-these are kids who joined mma straight out, there not strikers/grapplers there fighters and ready for anything

So in saying that in 10 years I think we will have 5-8 lads in the UFC and not only in it but some challenging to go places.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

From what I've seen there would be a few fighters good enough for Strikeforce or the bottom rung of the UFC. It's just a matter of getting that bit of luck where one of the matchmakers of the UFC see them on a DVD and are impressed. It's only a matter of time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

I think there's a few guys here that are about a year or so away from having the UFC knocking on their door, we might not have to wait too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

I know he is not exactly "Irish" , but Gunnar Nelson (formerly Irish trained) must be at that level now

'formerly'?

He visits danahers in the lead up to a big grappling comp but prepares for mma at sbg and mjolnir

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

Conor Mcgregor and Joe Duffy must be close....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭garrybergin

'formerly'?

He visits danahers in the lead up to a big grappling comp but prepares for mma at sbg and mjolnir

Apologies ! - "currently" :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

There are definitley irish fighters that could win fights in the ufc imo. it's just gonna take a while to get reconigition and the names out there. how many irish lads have had over 20 fights? Just takes time i think, guys like Conor mcgregor and Gunnar nelson are capable of knocking out and submitting( in gunnars case) any mma fighter out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

I think mcgregor and duffy have most attributes needed. Athleticism, serious skills and most importantly mentally strong. Would expect to see both make it especially as they are guided by cage warriors and have great management and obviously great coaches as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Limerick_Alan

I moved away a couple of years ago so I am not up to date as to how much the level has improved at home but the standard in the USA seems a good bit higher, the biggest difference seems to be the level of wrestling. At the lower levels of UFC SF etc and even the average pro/amateur, they mostly have good wrestling and I think that would be the biggest thing that needs to be addressed before we see many guys in the UFC.
    I think there are other issues with coaching, level of competition, access to facilities and training sparing partners but I would think that these are all improving quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I moved away a couple of years ago so I am not up to date as to how much the level has improved at home but the standard in the USA seems a good bit higher, the biggest difference seems to be the level of wrestling. At the lower levels of UFC SF etc and even the average pro/amateur, they mostly have good wrestling and I think that would be the biggest thing that needs to be addressed before we see many guys in the UFC.
    I think there are other issues with coaching, level of competition, access to facilities and training sparing partners but I would think that these are all improving quickly.

I think there's too much emphasis put on wrestling lately.
    Yeah of course if you have a good wrestling base then that's brilliant and it'll work well for you in the cage. But if not, it's not the end of the world, there have been plenty of successful fighters in the UFC who don't have a strong wrestling background.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Saw this for a Limerick woman
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056502413

I don`t know the difference between MMA and UFC, so if I`m wrong forgive me. I get lost with boxing these days. It was so much simpler all them years ago.

P.S. The JF mentioned in the article, is that the same JF as the O/P.
    Well then you know about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Limerick_Alan

Dean09 wrote: »
    I think there's too much emphasis put on wrestling lately.
    Yeah of course if you have a good wrestling base then that's brilliant and it'll work well for you in the cage. But if not, it's not the end of the world, there have been plenty of successful fighters in the UFC who don't have a strong wrestling background.
    I think the only reason that we emphasize wrestling is due to the lack of access in Ireland. You are right there are many successful fighters who dont have a wrestling background but I think all fighters have worked on it to a certain degree and at UFC level i think they will pretty much all be at a good standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

I think the only reason that we emphasize wrestling is due to the lack of access in Ireland. You are right there are many successful fighters who dont have a wrestling background but I think all fighters have worked on it to a certain degree and at UFC level i think they will pretty much all be at a good standard.

The wrestling scene in Ireland is only in its infancy compared to soccer and other sports but the scene is steadily increasing and with clubs like redhogs and knockagh raiders as well as clubs such as FAI and Evolve making sure they're fighters get this essential skill under their belt, I have confidence that in the long run irish wrestling in mma will be strong enough to compete with european standards if not maybe eventually american standards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

cowzerp wrote: »
    There is lots of kids training now that are as good as most adults in Ireland and still have 10-15 years to vastly surpass that-these are kids who joined mma straight out, there not strikers/grapplers there fighters and ready for anything

So in saying that in 10 years I think we will have 5-8 lads in the UFC and not only in it but some challenging to go places.

There was an MMA class in my gym last night. While I was waiting for my own class to start, i was watching 2 kids grappling in the ring. Both were fantatstic at rolling out of subs, clinching in subs, lovely takedowns and great defense as well. I know these 2 have been at this for less than a year and I think one is 14 the other 15. If they are a sample of what is out there, there is no reason why after a few years of proper tarining that they cannot makes names for themselves.

Why the fúck was this stuff not around 15 years ago :( ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

gimmick wrote: »
    There was an MMA class in my gym last night. While I was waiting for my own class to start, i was watching 2 kids grappling in the ring. Both were fantatstic at rolling out of subs, clinching in subs, lovely takedowns and great defense as well. I know these 2 have been at this for less than a year and I think one is 14 the other 15. If they are a sample of what is out there, there is no reason why after a few years of proper tarining that they cannot makes names for themselves.

Why the fúck was this stuff not around 15 years ago :( ?

Do you mean that in a "why wasn't this around for me to try as a kid?" way?

Yup.

Or to be more accurate - why didn't I keep my eeys open to what was going on around me back then with regard to kickboxingetc....

Yup.

Or to be more accurate - why didn't I keep my eeys open to what was going on around me back then with regard to kickboxingetc....

Absolutely no reason you can't take it up now, man. A lot of people train MMA because it's enjoyable, not even to compete. You can give it the whole "oh I can't, I'm too old / out of shape / not enough money / etc" excuse, but truthfully the only thing keeping most people from trying something new is themselves.

I already train in Muay thai and Kickboxing. Looking at taking up BJJ as well later on in the year.

My point is - I really enjoy doing all this now. Its a shame that i didn't discover it much earlier. Seems like a lot of wasted time.

On the plus side, at least I did find it eventually.

I already train in Muay thai and Kickboxing. Looking at taking up BJJ as well later on in the year.

My point is - I really enjoy doing all this now. Its a shame that i didn't discover it much earlier. Seems like a lot of wasted time.

On the plus side, at least I did find it eventually.

Ahh I getcha; that's different :)

Well it's never too late! Hopefully you'll enjoy it once you start.

Anyways, better let this get back on-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DAGEROUSDAVE

Stevie Lynch & Colin Robinson already fought in the UfC. Greg Loughran fought Eddie Alvarez in Bellator & Micky Young fought Jose Aldo in FX3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

There is no guarantee that Gunnar Nelson will get into the UFC, plus if he's Irish then so is Jake Hecht.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

Greg Loughran fought brookins as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Stevie Lynch & Colin Robinson already fought in the UfC. Greg Loughran fought Eddie Alvarez in Bellator & Micky Young fought Jose Aldo in FX3.

The question was aimed at the present not the past.

Advertisement