Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's own Catherine Costigan signs exclusive deal with Cage Contender (MMA)

Options
  • 03-01-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

Irish National Kickboxing Champion, European Sanda Kickboxing Champion and Professional MMA fighter Catherine Costigan has been announced as the first ever female to sign an exclusive contract with Cage Contender.

Costigan who operates Pankration Kickboxing Academy in Limerick, Ireland is also coached by the respected coach Tim Murphy at his Point Blank Submissions in Galway.

Having won her pro MMA debut in Late 2010 Catherine has found it difficult to find match ups at the 99lbs limit so she see’s this as a chance to progress at her desired weight

I’m absolutely honoured to join the Cage Contender roster.It’s a brilliant opportunity John Ferguson has given me.I won’t let him or the fans down. I look forward to unleashing cage chaos and proving that I am the Alpha Female of the 48kg division! In the words of Big John McCarthy, Are you ready? Then Let’s get it on!” – Catherine Costigan

The first fight of this multi fight deal is expected to take place on the under card of Cage Contender XII in Dublin on 25th February 2012. The stacked card for CCXII already features international names like Gunnar Nelson, UFC legend Chris Brennan and Arni Isaksson plus a host of exclusive Cage Contender exclusive talent including Rich “Souza” Gorey and Paddy “The Hooligan” Holohan

Catherine is a great addition to our talent list for 2012. Her martial art skill is well known especially her stand up. With the guys at Point Blank Subs looking after the ground game we feel she will be an athlete to reckoned with. There is no doubt that matches will be hard to put together due to the small pool of female fighters but I am pretty sure we can put some decent fighters in front of Catherine.” – John Ferguson, Promoter

You can follow Catherine at http://www.catherinecostigan.com

Credit: http://fighthounds.com/mma/costigan-signs-exclusive-deal-with-cage-contender/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Heard this....great news for her and limerick mma fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Good fighter and a very clean striker, but would be concerned about her ground work despite it being mentioned in the article that it would be worked on.

If she can stay on her feet and work angles, then I see her getting a lot of joy, but I think that once off her feet she will rack up more Ls than Ws and the better mat fighters will be quick to take advantage of that side of her game.

Hope I am very very wrong though, and that her mat work comes on in leaps and bounds very quickly.

Advertisement