Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Tyres Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I am looking at Kumho KH31 ecsta in 195/60 R15, but can't find out if they have rim protectors or not. Does anyone have these tyres?

Or recommend a decent 55-75 euro tyre on camskill with rim protectors? Thanks.

Well I'm just after getting 4 Kumho Ecsta KU39s last week (225/40/18), and there is little or no rim protector on them. Although I'm only 600 kms or so on them (so the protective coating will only just be wearing off), there is a noticeable difference over my previous Falkens, especially in the wet. Seems to be much quieter too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Fizman wrote: »
    Well I'm just after getting 4 Kumho Ecsta KU39s last week (225/40/18), and there is little or no rim protector on them. Although I'm only 600 kms or so on them (so the protective coating will only just be wearing off), there is a noticeable difference over my previous Falkens, especially in the wet. Seems to be much quieter too!

Cheers, supposed to be a great tyre for the money. Just don't like the look of a rim without protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Got a hole in the side wall of one of my rears yesterday so going to be ordering 2 new rears in the coming days,i will be without a doubt going for goodyear F1s again being using them pretty much non stop for around 6 or 7 years and find them a great tyre.

One of the best of the other tyres i have experience of would be actually kumhos and one of the worst would be federals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

tossy wrote: »
    One of the best of the other tyres i have experience of would be actually kumhos and one of the worst would be federals.

I had 205/40 R17 on a Mk1 Focus. back in good times before i knew about camskill and was paying 110/120 euro a corner. :rolleyes: Went through fronts every 12000miles.

Good in the dry, awful in the wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Another vote for the Vredestein Ulltrac Sessantas here - IMHO they are a far superior tyre to the Bridgestone Potenzas, especially in the wet - and much cheaper as well. Had both on my RX8 231.:)

Also found Camskills in the UK miles cheaper than anywhere here but not checked recently with the exchange rate.
    Quite a range of Potenzas out there, which ones did you use? I've heard good reports of the Ultracs but being better than Potenzas is new to me. :)
    projectgtr wrote: »
    After a long search (and having to import :mad:) im back to my favourite tyre of all time the Potenza RE01-R

Postives
    -Super stiff side wall, so no feedback lost from the car.
    -Drainage channel for water unlike my previous Toyo R888
    -Once warm the grip is immense :D
    -They deal with high temperature very well (more an issue on track)
    -Even though they are an R compound they wear very well.

Negatives
    -Not available in Ireland (Bridgestone Ireland told me they dont exist :confused:)
    -While they do have a drainage channel id still be wary of standing water.
    -Hard to find :(
    -Lowish cold grip
    Cool, what site is that?
    Chriscl1 wrote: »
    Today's arrival

(Hancook Ventus V12.)

Quite a good tyre there IMO.

Someone said Potenzas are quite noisy. For the likes of daily motorway usage, don't put them on, you'll be driven mad with the droning, they're actually a very loud tyre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Johntegr wrote: »
    Quite a range of Potenzas out there, which ones did you use? I've heard good reports of the Ultracs but being better than Potenzas is new to me. :)

Cool, what site is that?

Quite a good tyre there IMO.

Someone said Potenzas are quite noisy. For the likes of daily motorway usage, don't put them on, you'll be driven mad with the droning, they're actually a very loud tyre!

They were the standard RX8 tyre - R040s?

Have recently changed the car to a family bus(520d) so not sure it's worth spending big on a performance tyre - have had my interest piqued by these - Nexen N6000 or N8000 - seem to get fairly decent write ups fpr the money.

Anyone tried 'em or heard any reports?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s323p60268/NEXEN_TYRES_CAR_NEXEN_N8000_-_245_40R18_97Y_TL_

Have you heard anything on the Nexens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

They were the standard RX8 tyre - R040s?

Ah, basic tyre tbh. I have RE070's. Although they're noisy and have very stiff sidewalls, they're a fantastic tyre. I'll be getting another set when I've gone through these.

Even the RE050's are a nice tyre.

You now have a RWD car with a smidge of Torque, I'd be buying good tyres tbh.

As for Nexens, they're not bad, but you'd get better from the likes of even Continental or Goodyear for similair price ranges I'd imagine.

No there's a b ig difference in price between both of those makes and the Nexens, hence my interest. Also, I'll not be driving the Beemer anywhere near as hard as I did the RX8 so don't think I need to go premium.

Planning on getting the N8000s next week - will report once I've scrubbed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

No there's a b ig difference in price between both of those makes and the Nexens, hence my interest. Also, I'll not be driving the Beemer anywhere near as hard as I did the RX8 so don't think I need to go premium.

Planning on getting the N8000s next week - will report once I've scrubbed them.

how are the nexens

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'll not be driving the Beemer anywhere near as hard as I did the RX8

You wont' need to, the Bimmer has torque so you'll drive it normally but it'll feel like a supercar compared to the RX8 :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm doing a bit of research into tyres right now as I'm buying a TT and it will need new tyres fairly soon. Here's what I'm considering:

Uniroyal Rainsport 2: My mechanic swears blind on these - they are renowned as a brilliant rain/wet tyre but he recons nothing grips like them on his 300bhp+ rwd car.
    Goodyear Eage F1: Obviously known as a brilliant tyre I thought they were not long lasting - this links says otherwise though.
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3: Mate of mine was advised these for his 300bhp+ Subaru Impreza - he called me saying no single mod as transformed the car so much - absolutely raved about them.

Any I should be adding to this? They are all great tyres I'll probably more than likely go for the ones that are best value and long lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭positron

Zascar wrote: »
    Goodyear Eage F1: Obviously known as a brilliant tyre I thought they were not long lasting - this links says otherwise though.

As I posted on the first page of this thread, I got these Asymmetric 2s fitted back in January, and I don't drive too hard, but the tire has been superb all along. No tram-lining, very little noise etc - all positive, but I do get the feeling that they are probably not going to last as long as the Bridgestone Potenzas I had on before these.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

They get better wear results on that site than any of the others. My guess is yes tyres like Potenzas etc would wear much better but would not perform as well as the above 3. It's finding the right balance I suppose

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Yes you can replace two just make sure they are on the same axle.

The Front vs Rear debate - depends who you talk to but watch this:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm doing a bit of research into tyres right now as I'm buying a TT and it will need new tyres fairly soon. Here's what I'm considering:

Uniroyal Rainsport 2: My mechanic swears blind on these - they are renowned as a brilliant rain/wet tyre but he recons nothing grips like them on his 300bhp+ rwd car.
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3: Mate of mine was advised these for his 300bhp+ Subaru Impreza - he called me saying no single mod as transformed the car so much - absolutely raved about them.

Any I should be adding to this? They are all great tyres I'll probably more than likely go for the ones that are best value and long lasting.

Potenza RE050a's would be on par with them too. I still don't think there's anything better than Eagle F1's however. Impossible to get them to lose grip in the dry under very hard cornering, and nearly just as impossible in the wet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

awec wrote: »
    Cheers. How much are you generally talking for pretty standard tyres for 15" wheels. Just ballpark will do. Not interested in any high end stuff either, middle of the road will do.

I got Dunlop Fast Response for around 82 a corner balanced and fitted.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

Bought from eiretyres for under 70 each and fitted locally for 50, in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Had a set of there on a Opel Insignia '09 from new i.e original fitted tyres

Michelin Primacy

Swapped them for these

Barum Bravuris

Drove to the West of Ireland after getting them fitted and it felt like the tyres hadn't been changed such was the similar standard but without the higher price. I will have to wait a while to see how the tyres wear. But hope to get at least 50,000Kms out of them like the last set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

endplate wrote: »
    Drove to the West of Ireland after getting them fitted and it felt like the tyres hadn't been changed such was the similar standard but without the higher price.

So in other words the worn out Michelins have similar performance levels to the brand new Barums.

That's what I would have expected tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dredg

I put a set of Michelin Pilot SuperSports on my M6 recently. Sweet jebus they're amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The Uniroyal is an all round tyre, the F1 and PS3 are performance tyres. They will out grip the Uniroyal but won't last as long.

I have never used the Uniroyals on any of my own cars but we have sold and fitted plenty and they seem to be a very good tyre for the money.

I have used both F1 and PS3 on my own cars and they are both fantastic tyres but long life is not a strong point of either (nor should it be)

It is up to you which you go for based on which characteristics are more important to you. For most people the Uniroyal would be a better bet than the other two because they won't notice the extra grip the F1 or PS3 will give but they will certainly notice the faster wear rate and resulting impact on the pocket...

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Anyone know of a good place to get second hand tyres near Dublin or the north east? I have an awkward size that I need a replacement for, 205/50 16". Pain in the hoop to find one! Would like to match a Bridgestone , or should I just get two new ones? Stuck for cash at the moment and that size tyre is generally quite expensive.

Do a search on donedeal there are a few guys who do part worn tyres. I was kinda considering it actually, you can get 6mm tread tyres for half the price or less, decent brands etc too. My mate thinks I'm nuts putting F1's or something on my car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

faigs wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good place to get second hand tyres near Dublin or the north east? I have an awkward size that I need a replacement for, 205/50 16". Pain in the hoop to find one! Would like to match a Bridgestone , or should I just get two new ones? Stuck for cash at the moment and that size tyre is generally quite expensive.

I was reading a report recently that said 50% of second hand tyres tested were dangerous. you have no way of knowing their history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

I was reading a report recently that said 50% of second hand tyres tested were dangerous. you have no way of knowing their history.

Can you provide a link for that please?

Most part worn tyres come from Germany where their laws state tyres must be replaced every year.

Advertisement