Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Tyres Thread

Options
  • 16-01-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭

Would it make sense to have a general tyres thread to compare experiences - kinda one thread to search in for boards'ies collective tyres knowledge?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

I drive a Honda Accord, with 17" wheels, and I was thinking of getting Hankook Optimo 4S (all-season tyres) until recently, but I think I have changed my mind and have decided on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. I read many reviews suggesting these are quieter tyres and lasts a good bit while offering very good grip in wet and dry. With 17" wheels, I would love some noise reduction - current Bridgestone Potenzas are fine but they are noisier than the Continental Sport Contact 3 I used to have.

Also, a pair of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric comes up around €235 at camskill + fitting and balancing, where as friendly local tyre place has offered to do the whole lot for €290. I think I will go withe the garage, supporting local economy and what not..!

Any suggestions / thoughts in general are most welcome! Anyone had these tyres and are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I think the thread will probably get too big and hard to follow so may not be that useful.

To answer your question on the Goodyears, I think they are a fantastic tyre. I have been using them on my cars (size 225/45 17) for the last few years and can't fault them. I am going to try a set of Michelin PS3 next but they will have to be very good to beat the F1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

I'm looking at a few tyres myself (17") and the the Goodyear assymetric 2 seems to be getting good reviews. I have two friends who also do a fair bit of mileage and they swear by Uniroyal rainsport 2 tyres. My recent tyres on the family cars include:

Bridgestones re050/re070 - excellent in the dry but left me disappointed in damp and wet road conditions....the car had a small bit of traction loss at times cornering

SUNNY-got these on my lease car and changed them after three weeks- ok in the dry taking it easy - seriously dangerous in the wet, so much so I would recommend they come with a health and safety warning- dirt cheap. DO NOT BUY THESE IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE!!!!!

Contisport 3 - good all round tyre - decent dry and wet grip - average wear and noise

Michelin Pilot Primacy - excellent dry and wet grip although wet grip has disimproved recently as tread is down to 3.0mm. Superb wear, though a bit noisy.

Now considering Michelin ps3 or assymetric 2 to replace the Michelin above...opinions welcome

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

On day to day driving can you guys notice the difference between two different tyres?

I've driven on Bridgestone Potenza's ever since I had my Mini so I'm not in a position to comment.

In relation to the Potenza I find them ok but the ride has been relatively hard in any car I've had them on so again I'm not in a position to comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

To be honest I'm not too bothered on noise as the difference is probably neglible with the top brands. I do however notice the difference in wet grip on the potenzas. I personally find them a bit slippy and expected more from a tyre of this reputed quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Wow didnt thinks f1s would be that price, need 4 on before i can use my 18s again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Tried them they didnt suit my car, but the newer ones with the assymetric thread look vgood,

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

The best tyre I've had was the old style veredestein ultrac which sadly they don't make anymore
    140109014.jpg
    The worst were pirelli p-zero, can't remember which version but they were pure muck in the wet
    DSCF1566.jpg
    I've pilot sport 3's now, quite impressed with them, will need changing soon and I'm going for hankook Venus v12 evo's next.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
    Shane732 wrote: »
    On day to day driving can you guys notice the difference between two different tyres?

I have wondered the same actually. It's probably those who loves driving to the limit who can tell the difference on grip etc - or those who do a lot of mileage in all sort of weather perhaps. In the last 3.5 years driving this car, I only had one instance where ABS kicked in - and that was when there was about 3 inches of ice on the road (Jan 2010). Now the road noise - I am very aware of it every time I am on the motorway, and I can also tell you that continental sport contact 3 is better than Bridgestone Potenzas on both road noise, and tramlining (where the cars with light steering, steering tends to stick to road imperfections, road markings, white lines etc) - Potenza tramline like crazy when it wears down where as no such thing with SP3 even when it wears all the way to 1.6mm

• Advertisement

Quick Update:

I have the new pair of Gooyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s fitted to the front, and the two Bridgestone Potenzas moved to the rear. After driving both town, back roads and motorways, I am really happy with the new F1s. They are definitely quieter than the Potenzas - I can tell the noise is now coming from the rear axle. I haven't noticed any grip issues (but I don't drive that hard), and steering feels slightly heavier and planted / sure-footed. This is good because Accord's steering is usually is too light.

PS: I know new tyres should ideally go to the real axle, but I had a feeling that the F1s would be quieter and wanted that over the noisy Potenzas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm looking for part-worns in the next 3 months or so (not winters as it's unlikely to snow in Dublin this year), mine (Turanzas) are understeering like a mofo in the wet. Any suggestions?

If you are going for part-worns, general advise is to stick to premium brands like Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone etc, and look for atleast 3-4mm tread. And depending on how and how much you drive, they should last a lot longer than 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Another vote for the Vredestein Ulltrac Sessantas here - IMHO they are a far superior tyre to the Bridgestone Potenzas, especially in the wet - and much cheaper as well. Had both on my RX8 231.:)

Also found Camskills in the UK miles cheaper than anywhere here but not checked recently with the exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

In need of 4 new tyres myself (225/40/18) and currently waiting on a call back from a local guy for options. For the last 2 years I've gotten Falkens 452s from Camskill, and can't really fault them. I am interested in the Vreds though, even if they are an extra €40 per tyre. Will be purchasing by the end of the week either way.

I got quoted 140 euro per corner fitted for Continental SC3's 225/45/17 yesterday, its 270 for two incl delivery from camskill but with fitting being around 12 euro a corner camskill's actually more expensive.

I was planning on getting toyo proxie T1sports at 250 for two (225 delivered + 25 euro to fit them locally) but considering the contis now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Shane732 wrote: »

I've driven on Bridgestone Potenza's ever since I had my Mini so I'm not in a position to comment.

In relation to the Potenza I find them ok but the ride has been relatively hard in any car I've had them on so again I'm not in a position to comment!
    Yep, definitely. Some cars are very sensitive to tyres. The 3-series can be quite fussy especially with what's on the rear axel. Others aren't so fussy, and the difference will be smaller unless you're pushing on a little. But some tyres are pure muck no matter what.

Hi

Im after new tyres for my 09 Focus.

There are Autogrip on it at the moment. They are newish tyres but I find them to be loosing traction and slipping on corners.

Any suggestions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

My experience so far:

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3: Best tyre ever. Brilliant on wet roads. Lasted OK. Expensive.
    Firestone Multihawk: Decent, good value middle of the road tyre.
    BF Goodrich: Nearly burt out the ABS. No grip in the wet.
    Conti SportContact: Lovely tyre, but didn't last very long
    Falken F452: Hated these. Bought them after the Goodyear Eagle. They didn't last at all as long, and didn't grip as well. Cheaper, but was dissappointed after all the good reviews.
    Maxxis M35: I don't have these long yet, but I really like them. They seem to have decent grip, and are very quiet. Only tried them because they make a decent bicycle tyre!
    Wanlii: Bought a car with these. Christ, the noise. Threw them off after a week.

Generally I have stuck with Firestone. The prices have been reasonable, and apart from one set of duds a few years ago they have always done what they promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Right, after researching the sh1te out of things over the past couple of days, I've just ordered 4 x Kumho Ecsta KU39's. Reviews are very good, and mid range price too. I wanted to try something different to the Falken 452's, and I couldn't justify going for the GY Eagle F1 Assym 2's, seeing as I'm being hit from every angle of motoring life in Jan/Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I think it may be a good idea to mention sizes and cars with tyre info. Sometimes same models can't perform same in different cars or sizes.

Dunlop spt 300(195/60/15 - 00 Primera 1.6) : Average price and average tyre from every angle. Wouldn't buy again.

Michelin Primacy HP(205/55/16 - 01 Primera 2.0) : Perfect motorway tyre. Straight stability increased a lot but more resistant to turning. Grippy, safe and not very noisy. I would buy it again.

Firestone F590 (99 Yaris 1.0): Despite it was a 155/70/13 size tyre, I found them quite grippy in dry and wet on a light car like yaris. Couldn't push it too much with that size of course :D I started to respect Firestone brand more.

Uniroyal Rainexpert(99 Yaris 1.0) : Being advertised as a rain tyre. Put 175/65/14 size on yaris after Firestones and I am quite happy with them. It is made from a soft compound which is good for grip and comfort. I didn't feel any sideflex due to soft side walls which is a plus. I always accelerate into puddles to test limit of wet grip/aquaplanning and they are perfect so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    The best tyre I've had was the old style veredestein ultrac which sadly they don't make anymore
    140109014.jpg

Had 4 of them fitted to a previous car and had to give them back to the tyre fitters. The car was undriveable with them, unstable and felt like it wanted to understeer and oversteer in the same corner :confused: Tried different tyre pressures but nothing worked, put about 1k miles on them before I gave them back.
    I had eagle F1 GSD3's fitted instead and the car handled normally again.
    The F1 asymmetric are a great tyre too, had a couple of pairs of these.
    Also had michelin pilot sports which were good but I didn't hold onto the car for long.

Wow that's strange, I went from gsd3's to these and found them better, granted the f1's had about half their tread left when I bought the car. I also found them ultrac's the best tyre in the wet, zero aqua planing even on certain parts of the Naas rd where it's like a swimming pool. The car I had them on was a 2.2 Honda euro r and with the ultrac's it never understeered. Brilliant wear rate too. I would love to get another set and try them on the car I have now and see were they really that good or was it the euro r chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I am looking at Kumho KH31 ecsta in 195/60 R15, but can't find out if they have rim protectors or not. Does anyone have these tyres?

Or recommend a decent 55-75 euro tyre on camskill with rim protectors? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

After a long search (and having to import :mad:) im back to my favourite tyre of all time the Potenza RE01-R

re01r_h.jpg

Postives
    -Super stiff side wall, so no feedback lost from the car.
    -Drainage channel for water unlike my previous Toyo R888
    -Once warm the grip is immense :D
    -They deal with high temperature very well (more an issue on track)
    -Even though they are an R compound they wear very well.

Negatives
    -Not available in Ireland (Bridgestone Ireland told me they dont exist :confused:)
    -While they do have a drainage channel id still be wary of standing water.
    -Hard to find :(
    -Lowish cold grip

Today's arrival

HV12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

kerten wrote: »
    I always accelerate into puddles to test limit of wet grip/aquaplanning and they are perfect so far.

Don't be too surprised if you end up having to pull over for a while to let your spark plugs dry off so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

projectgtr wrote: »
    After a long search (and having to import :mad:) im back to my favourite tyre of all time the Potenza RE01-R

Where did you get them?How much?etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Went from Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric to Potenza S001s and to be honest both were identically exceptional to me. Really struggle to find the bottom of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Don't be too surprised if you end up having to pull over for a while to let your spark plugs dry off so :rolleyes:

In fact it happened to me once when I used my fiat tipo as a snow plough at 30 cm deep snow. Parked in front of cafe then it didn't work until mechanic dried plugs 2 days later:)

but yaris is not fast or low enough to wet its 1 meter far from ground plugs :D

Advertisement