Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and children first?

Options

Comments

Never understood women first and even children first.. In a disaster, everyone is an innocent victim. What has age to do with anything or sex got to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Duggy 1st

I'm quite tall so I'm going to need that entire lifeboat, thanks............I like to stretch my legs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

davet82 wrote: »
    I was reading various news website articles today about the cruise ship that hit the rocks and that had to be evacuated at the weekend. One aspect of the story was the fact that a lot of the crew abandoned ship before passengers were evacuated. There were also various stories about the how the golden rule ‘women and children first’ was totally disregarded by crew and passengers alike and that it was ‘everyman for himself’.

The comments on a lot of the websites were surprising to me to say the least, many posters said that in this day and age that 500 year old rule was ‘out-dated’ and one posted ‘too right I’d push anybody out of my way, woman or child’ and ‘why is my life worth less than others’

I’m curious to see peoples honest views on this, would you save your own hide first by pushing a women and child out of the way to hop on a life raft? Is it something you post, saying you would do the honourable thing but when it came down to it you wouldn’t?

Nah - my life is more important to me than some kid or woman that I don't know.

Women - you wanted equal rights ye.

You got it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

If it is a matter of "women and children first" i.e. they get into the lifeboats first and then the men get in then I'd be for that. But if it's a case of "women and children first but there isn't enough lifeboats for the men like on the Titanic" then it's "screw you lady and your poxy kids."

However if it's a case like the cruise ship off Italy that grounded and sort of lay on one side then I think I'd be happy enough to stay on board until the air/sea rescue dudes came along. It would be sort of an adventure and I might even engage in some looting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Nah - my life is more important to me than some kid or woman that I don't know.

Women - you wanted equal rights ye.

You got it !!

Brilliant!

*goes off to*

Play centre forward on a male football team
    Pee in mens' toilets
    Complain if a man talks about sexism and totally dismiss his argument by saying 'But it happens to women too ye know.....'
    Call a man 'masculinazi' for daring to have an opinion, and shock horror, expressing it
    Have a distinct lack of humour when things I do to keep the opposite sex down are turned back on me. Cos it's only funny when the other sex is getting the short end of the stick :pac:

I love equality :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

on british ships its always been women and children first [remember the titanic] one famous quote from i believe was noel coward who said,i always sail on foreign ships,because they dont insist on women and children first.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Feeona wrote: »
    Brilliant!

*goes off to*

Play centre forward on a male football team
    Pee in mens' toilets
    Complain if a man talks about sexism and totally dismiss his argument by saying 'But it happens to women too ye know.....'
    Call a man 'masculinazi' for daring to have an opinion, and shock horror, expressing it
    Have a distinct lack of humour when things I do to keep the opposite sex down are turned back on me. Cos it's only funny when the other sex is getting the short end of the stick :pac:

I love equality :pac:
    :pac::pac::pac:

Calm down pussy cat!

Il Trap wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

Calm down pussy cat!

I know, I really shouldn't be getting ideas above my station!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I know, I really shouldn't be getting ideas above my station!

Unless its one of those multi-floor kitchens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭sophieblake

I am a woman (obviously)

Children first I agree with and pregnant women.
    The notion of women and children first came from a time when men were considered to be the "providers and protectors" In this day and age men and women's roles are interchangeable so a woman should have no more right to go first than a man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Kids first for sure.

Not women though.

Should be elderly, infirm and kids first as noted already.

The notion of women and kids probably stems partly from a family thing: obviously I would want my kids and their mother to go before me if there was a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Brilliant!

*goes off to*
    Pee in mens' toilets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Its apparently a crime if you are the captain to leave the ship before everyone else, a French couple spotted him hiding under a blanket on the first life boat, if the report is to be believed.

Was his name Zapp Brannigan by any chance?

Unless its one of those multi-floor kitchens

Ooooh making generalisations, I love this game!

Ahem*clears throat*.....'I'd ask you to install a multi floor kitchen, but I'll have to see if a chaperone is available'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

stovelid wrote: »
    Kids first for sure.

Not women though.

The notion of women and kids probably stems partly from a family thing: obviously I would want my kids and their mother to go before me if there was a choice.

dont agree with the elderly bit, an 18 year old man with his whole life infront of him gets less preference than an 80 year old man with his whole life behind him? That doesnt seem right to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dont agree with the elderly bit, an 18 year old man with his whole life infront of him gets less preference than an 80 year old man with his whole life behind him? That doesnt seem right to me

They paid more taxes than you and you've just bummed off your parents for 18 years; wear annoying clothes and have acne.

Tough.

Enjoy the watery deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭sophieblake

I agree with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think children first definitely. I'm just imagining a scene where there's a scramble to get to boats, and children being pushed out of the way or trampled or something, definitely don't think that's right and I really don't believe even in that situation that I'd push a kid out of the way. I definitely think they should be getting preference anyway. Pregnant women, the disabled and the elderly after that. Everyone else can look after themselves. Obviously though, I'd hope most people would try their utmost to help each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

When the Estonia sank a few years back i remember seeing something about the rules being changed to family units first, as in BOTH parents and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

My family, then everyone for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Bankers, politicians and developers first and only. The rest of ye can sink or swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

On an aircraft the rule is fittest, healthiest and most agile first. That way you save more lives.

I don't understand the desire to favour the sick, elderly and infirm ahead of healthy adults (of either gender).

If we're going to bother saving any lives, then we should save the maximum number of healthy lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

They paid more taxes than you and you've just bummed off your parents for 18 years; wear annoying clothes and have acne.

Tough.

Enjoy the watery deep.

Ok can we see everybodies P60 for the year before we let you on the life boats :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Wouldn't women want their own entirely seperate cruise ship so that men wouldn't accidentally see them?

Children yes, women no. That would be sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

Pherekydes wrote: »
    On an aircraft the rule is fittest, healthiest and most agile first. That way you save more lives.

I don't understand the desire to favour the sick, elderly and infirm ahead of healthy adults (of either gender).

If we're going to bother saving any lives, then we should save the maximum number of healthy lives.

I've never really understood that either. Assuming life boats are being filled with the passengers of a quickly sinking ship, it seems pretty counter-intuitive to take the time to allow the elderly, infirm or very young to (much more slowly) board the life boats, leaving the healthy and agile to drown. You could fill two boats with latter group in the time that it would take to fill one boat with the former.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Why should a fit and healthy 19 year old girl be allowed to get off the ship before an elderly man who can hardly walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Batsy wrote: »
    Why should a fit and healthy 19 year old girl be allowed to get off the ship before an elderly man who can hardly walk?

Boobs and a vagina.

No, really it's because of some antiquated notion that a womans life is worth more than a mans.

So basically it's boobs and a vagina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Lizzybet

Batsy wrote: »

I am a fit healthy girl. I will carry some infirm, elderly millionaire man with me and he could sit on my lap in the lifeboat.

If he wanted to show his gratitude by showering me with money, well who am I to argue. I was taught to obey my elders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    Boobs and a vagina.

No, really it's because of some antiquated notion that a womans life is worth more than a mans.

So basically it's boobs and a vagina.
    But say you let a woman take your place in the lifeboat and then you survive anyway, you'd be onto a sure thing there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Lizzybet

But say you let a woman take your place in the lifeboat and then you survive anyway, you'd be onto a sure thing there.

I would definitely show my gratitude to anyone who gave me a seat

Advertisement