Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and children first?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I don't think it's about whose lives are more important - that'd be industrialists and entrepreneurs first - it's more to do with the adult male being stronger and more able to survive hardship. Males can take more punishment, swim better etc, so they let the weak go first.

in that case i should go before katie taylor.That is of course if i ever end up in a life or death situation with katie taylor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Dudess wrote: »
    Children, elderly, ill/disabled, heavily pregnant women first.

Agreed, but what then?

I say rock, paper, scissors from that point on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Was just thinking about this.
    Isnt kitchen staff, bar staff, waiters etc etc classed as crew?

So why should some waiter be willing to hang on till all passengers is off before him?

Because all those people working on the boat are trained in evacuation procedures, launching lifeboats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

The only way to behave in an emergency :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

While I don't think women should get on the boat purely based on the fact of their gender, I do believe children should certainly be evacuated first. And they can't exactly be put out to sea on their lonesome, so a parent/guardian should be with them. Doesn't matter which one.

I do find the idea of crew fighting passengers out of the way disgusting, they're supposed to be trained professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

While I don't think women should get on the boat purely based on the fact of their gender, I do believe children should certainly be evacuated first. And they can't exactly be put out to sea on their lonesome, so a parent/guardian should be with them. Doesn't matter which one.

I do find the idea of crew fighting passengers out of the way disgusting, they're supposed to be trained professionals.

Trained in the art of self-preservation and the law of the jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Children/pregnant women first, then it's a free for all.

Except the Captain, he should have to stay until everyone else is off.

Oh also, there needs to be at least two able bodied adults in every boat for rowing, navigating, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What ? No women in this thread demanding equality ?

I wonder why ? :P

Children I can understand, but (personal actions aside) the general assumption by a woman that she would automatically be given preference is cynical double-standards.

That said I might be chivalrous if it meant she gave me her number ;) But if she spouted the above line and assumed then not a hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I would say children and babies, the elderly, the ill/injured/special needs and mothers-to-be first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Women and children first, f*ck the children one guy said! A Catholic Priest onboard shouted out, we haven't got time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

marketty wrote: »
    Because all those people working on the boat are trained in evacuation procedures, launching lifeboats etc.

Only one problem there tho.
    Human nature. Every person for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I think it should be 'Women WITH Children'
    That would be acceptable to me.

What if the mother is a complete b1tch who beats her children and the father is a gentle caring dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If I was on the ship there would be NO Deserters.
    I'm firing one warning shot in the air and brandishing the gun for all to see.
    Man, Woman or Child. Attempt to leave and you get shot.

because nothing stops people panicking like a loaded gun being waved around?
    They should replace the life jackets with tridents and fight to the death (grannys included)
    Oh and if a child is to small to hold one then two may enter as a team

Butterface wrote: »
    I think the real issue here is.. why didn't Rose just let Jack get up on top of that piece of floating debris with her? or find something else to get up on top of?

because the debris wouldn't take both of their weight. the real question is, how did she give up space on two lifeboats and still survive? (also, inadvertently killing Jack in the process HA!)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

that went out with the equal rights craic!!!:rolleyes:

quickest to the boat in the modern age:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Children going first I understand, but elderly? I'm not risking my (hopefully) 60+ years left to give some old fart another two or three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

id imagine, depending on the severity of the accident and other variables such as fire and smoke etc.. that standing around trying to organise and get women and children off first would probably end up costing more lives than if you just got everyone off as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Admittedly I know nothing about these procedures, but it seems like at a tense time like that it would be incredibly difficult and time-consuming to persuade families/groups to break up and separate. I'd say just fill the boats as they come and if there's a shortage get the kids and non-swimmers on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

I'm sorry, but I feel that if I was to be in that situation, where I would die if I didn't get off the ship, i'd rush to the lifeboats no matter what.

Obviously if the rules of women and children first are really implemented and you get tossed overboard if your a man on the lifeboat first, i'd have to wait.

I wouldn't take an entire lifeboat for myself and start paddling away ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is one of those situations where you can't be 100% sure until you're in that situation. I'd like to think I'd be selfless but I wouldn't want to drown either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I allways throw a few children overboard for good luck whenever I go on a cruise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

If there was a room full of 100 strangers and fifty had die a slow torturous death by being cooked in an oven who here would volunteer to save a woman or child?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Once I had a lifejacket I wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dudess wrote: »
    Children, elderly, ill/disabled, heavily pregnant women first.

I agree with saving the next generation, but not the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'd do my best not to trample on too many heads as i scrambled on to the lifeboat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I worked on several passenger ferrys in which the training in all eventualitys at sea was a regular thing ,sometimes as soon as the passengers had just left the ship in port but even with the best ' survival at sea ' training you are not going to get it all right , especially with 4000 odd passengers on board who due to confusion and panic ,will behave in all sorts of ways so the crew of this ship will face some heavy questioning until the truth about the events on the night come to light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Children/elderly/sick first, then its a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

young fit women no.

children and the elderly yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

My children > Me > Other people's children > everyone else

tbh.

Advertisement