Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and children first?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I would be throwing kids into the water, cutting them to make them bleed and breaking limbs so they can't swim. That should keep the sharks busy for a while for me to make my escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

In regards to target market of tv aderts yup.. Seems so. De-ballsified.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Well it is a bit of an antiquated notion imo. Unless the woman and kids were my own family then there's no reason why I'd feel that their lives are any more important than my own.

This is just do sad and low.. No honour, no principles, nothing...

MY FAMILY -this is all what matters -very, very simple and ignorant thinking..
    I just hope not too many people like that out there..

oh, to me its more "old people and children first" -I am woman

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Women and children first? No one is even bothering to argue for that because it's *that* outdated and stupid...I didn't even think they still used that phrase

Children and pregnant women. Not sure about the elderly....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

surime wrote: »
    This is just do sad and low.. No honour, no principles, nothing...

MY FAMILY -this is all what matters -very, very simple and ignorant thinking..
    I just hope not too many people like that out there..

It's not ignorance, it's pragmatism. Why would I sacrifice myself to save a complete stranger, and in the process leave my family behind without a father, or my wife without a husband? It may be selfish, but it's not ignorant.
    oh, to me its more "old people and children first" -I am woman

Where's the logic in that? It seems like you're going out of your way just to do the 'honorable' thing, as you see it. If everyone done that then nobody would make it off the boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

df1985 wrote: »
    young fit women no.

children and the elderly yes.
    I like the cut of your jib young fella.

Me: Y'know we're probably gonna die here so how's about a bit of a fumble?
    Fit Woman: OK
    Random guy: You know there's enough life boats for everyone don't you?
    Me: Nooooooooo!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

It's not ignorance, it's pragmatism. Why would I sacrifice myself to save a complete stranger, and in the process leave my family behind without a father, or my wife without a husband? It may be selfish, but it's not ignorant.

Where's the logic in that? It seems like you're going out of your way just to do the 'honorable' thing, as you see it. If everyone done that then nobody would make it off the boat.

coward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Dudess wrote: »
    Children, elderly, ill/disabled, heavily pregnant women first.

I'm curious as to why someone who has probably had a long and fruitful life would need to be saved ahead of a young father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Ian64

Me first, the the bird with the biggest tits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I am a decent swimmer so I would let children and those whom need help go before me. I don't care about the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

surime wrote: »
    coward

At least I'm a living coward!

*waves and laughs from disappearing lifeboat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

the_syco wrote: »
    So the boat is full of women and children... what will they do? Can they row? Are you going to assume that they can navigate and/or able to row the boat? Of if they're strong enough to row the boat?
    I assume they were liferafts as opposed to lifeboats. You don't row a liferaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I assume they were liferafts as opposed to lifeboats. You don't row a liferaft.

Of course not. The children do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Yes women and children first. The men should be helping everyone else first. It's the safest way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

The main problem is that women tend to congregate around the galley in an emergency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

On British passenger ferrys and in emergencys at sea ,each crew member is giving a task of taking a % of passengers through his exit so as to make sure that the passenger numbers are evenly spread around the ship and not all trying to leave by the same route and same lifeboats .This will be a lot easier to apply on a smaller ship with only 500 passengers but when a ship with 4000 people on board is listing to one side in the dark , people are always going to make their own decisions and the natural reaction willl be self preservation .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Latchy wrote: »
    On British passenger ferrys and in emergencys at sea ,each crew member is giving a task of taking a % of passengers through his exit so as to make sure that the passenger numbers are evenly spread around the ship and not all trying to leave by the same route and same lifeboats .This will be a lot easier to apply on a ship with only 500 hundred passengers but when a ship with 4000 people on board is listing to one side in the dark , people are always going to make their own decisions and the natural reaction willl be self preservation .

:confused: Fifty-thousand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

:confused: Fifty-thousand?
    Ahhhh...simple typo error which I shudda spotted .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I think its quite an honorable and natural thing to let children, women and the elderly be first in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Only for a child, never for another adult unless he/she was family. I get why children should get to have first places on liferafts but why women over men?I think a grown woman should not be prioritised over a grown man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Like others have said, you have no way of knowing how you'd react in such a situation without actually being there. Once panic sets in, you're not going to be thinking "Oh, hang on, I'd better let women and children go first", you'd be thinking "Where the f*ck are my family/friends and how the hell are we gonna get out of here?!".

Clearly, everyone wouldn't deliberately push others out of the way or refuse to help someone in need that they came across along the way - but (almost) everyone thinks about themselves and their family/friends first, it's basic instinct...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

There has to be rules for these emergencies. And at least women and children makes more sense that 'all short men, then thin women, then the blondes of each sex....' and do on. Even if the rule seems archaic.

It's not meant to be about valuing one over the other apart from kids (anymore) rather more to do with trying to keep order and trying to save EVERYONE. Not all men are strong and able. Nor are all women. Though I don't see how they can be expected to judge who is weakest on a sinking ship; so they go with an old rule that works for the most part.

I DONT think healthy able bodied adults of either sex should go before the children (apart from 1 parent) or disabled

There still have to be evacuation procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Working class should definately be locked in the cargo hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

kids first then its every man for himself :)

realistically, it would depend on how quick the ship was sinking and the conditions. but id like to think equality has gotten to the stage where women can be treated as equals when it comes to abandoning ship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

elderly have lived their lives. they shud be last out theyv had enuf fun. Women depends how hot they are.
    kids well kids are dickheads

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

I will always bring a dress with me on a cruise, just in case, (i'm male btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

xi wrote: »
    I will always bring a dress with me on a cruise, just in case, (i'm male btw)

-Why that girl in that red dress is beautiful.
    - which one?
    - her, the one with the beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

billybudd wrote: »
    I think its quite an honorable and natural thing to let children, women and the elderly be first in line.

I would expect a woman to say that :pac:
    But judging from your username you gotta be a guy.
    And quite franlky i am shaking my head here. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I would've assumed that in this day and age, there'd be enough lifeboats to go around. So it should be all passengers in an orderly queue, regardless of gender age or health, followed by all crew members who lag behind to help oversee the evacuation and get everyone off safely.

Then again, I could be talking nonsense :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

What if the mother is a complete b1tch who beats her children and the father is a gentle caring dad?

Then the father is complicit in the violence and rewarding the mother with a holiday on cruise liner with his child that is beaten.

So the father isn't gentle or caring and is in fact an enabler.

Advertisement