Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due September 2012 thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

MintyDoris, I feel so sorry for you. Sleeplessness is bad enough without nasty boss and morning sickness added to the equation. I hope you can get through the day ok. At least you have the antenatal classes to look forward to. Have you much longer to go in work?

Yes, we're feeling a lot better, and sleeping a lot better too, though we've a feeling we haven't heard the last from the HSE or the maternity hospital. I hope they're not going to force us to take legal action against them, though if they do we have our records carefully compiled.

The most important thing for us is protecting our baby, and a consultant who repeatedly expresses opinions that have no basis in fact (such as his repeated claim that subjecting a mother to extreme stress has no adverse effect on a baby - born or unborn, or the mother's ability to go into or maintain labour - ignoring the fact of adrenaline and it's very well-documented effects) and completely disregards the informed opinion of the parents (or anyone else), is not someone we can trust.

How this man got to be master of a maternity hospital is a mystery. I just wish we'd been recording our meetings with him, they'd make interesting and entertaining listening.

It's a shame that maternity services here are so consultant-centric, because most of the midwives are wonderful and it seems to be the general experience that consultant involvement in normal healthy pregnancies only causes problems and stress.

They shouldn't be allowed to get involved where they're not required or wanted, and that would also provide a far superior level of care for mothers who are experiencing difficulties and require their help and assistance.

There I go, up on my high horse again. Sorry girls! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Good morning all!
    Squiggler glad to hear ye are feeling a bit better about the whole thing. Your right to have everything in order incase you need to take legal action. They are all a crowd of chancers I swear to god.

Minty Doris sorry to hear your morning sickness is back. Hope work flies for you today.

Going to my Gp at 3pm. Read up more about the infection, its called bacterial vagnosis. Sounds like a disaster girlies. Am well and truly freaked out now to be honest. Fingers crossed all goes well with Gp and she can reassure me a bit.

Moving house today and I'm a bloody wreck from it. My nerves are shot for some reason. Wish it was September already.

Have a good Monday everyone xx

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Squiggler wrote: »
    MintyDoris, I feel so sorry for you. Sleeplessness is bad enough without nasty boss and morning sickness added to the equation. I hope you can get through the day ok. At least you have the antenatal classes to look forward to. Have you much longer to go in work?

Yes, we're feeling a lot better, and sleeping a lot better too, though we've a feeling we haven't heard the last from the HSE or the maternity hospital. I hope they're not going to force us to take legal action against them, though if they do we have our records carefully compiled.

The most important thing for us is protecting our baby, and a consultant who repeatedly expresses opinions that have no basis in fact (such as his repeated claim that subjecting a mother to extreme stress has no adverse effect on a baby - born or unborn, or the mother's ability to go into or maintain labour - ignoring the fact of adrenaline and it's very well-documented effects) and completely disregards the informed opinion of the parents (or anyone else), is not someone we can trust.

How this man got to be master of a maternity hospital is a mystery. I just wish we'd been recording our meetings with him, they'd make interesting and entertaining listening.

It's a shame that maternity services here are so consultant-centric, because most of the midwives are wonderful and it seems to be the general experience that consultant involvement in normal healthy pregnancies only causes problems and stress.

They shouldn't be allowed to get involved where they're not required or wanted, and that would also provide a far superior level of care for mothers who are experiencing difficulties and require their help and assistance.

There I go, up on my high horse again. Sorry girls! :rolleyes:

Thanks Squiggler and Supa, I am just having one of those days. I HATE to hear people whinge and I try not to do it. It's just all on top of me today. I have a huge glass of milk in front of me and I have counted that I have 9 and a half weeks left in work at most. Plus my nasty boss is doing a 4 day week all summer so I feel a bit better now. A quick nap at lunch and a nap when I get home and I'll be fine. Things could be so much worse and I am grateful. A girl I know lost her Mum a few weeks ago and her Dad died over the weekend. I have so much to be thankful for - I just need to remember it

Squiggler - Rant away!!! It seems for all the good midwifes do, the 'system' takes maternity services backwards in leaps and bounds in this country. Your experience is proof of that. I think your determination and control is a credit to you and your OH

Supa - best of luck at the GP today. Let us know how you get on. I have an appointment on Thursday with a new doctor so I have LOADS of questions

SupaDupa, best of luck with the GP later. I hope that it goes well, everything is going to be ok and you get some reassurance.

You're incredibly brave tackling a house move at this stage. My hubby suggested that we look at moving before baby is born and I said that was fine with me, if he was going to do all the packing/unpacking and organising :D

Aw Minty, you're allowed those days. Glad you're feeling a bit more positive now. Hopefully the morning sickness mark II will be short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

Hi All,

I've no reason to be in a bad mood, but I'm just really down today, no idea why, just feel like screaming! Baby is well, I'm well, feel like an ungratelful b****, but cannot shake this black cloud off! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

I'm the same.. just feeling blue. My 1 year old is so cranky today and is wrecked but won't go for a nap and it's driving me mad. I just feel like the next 12 weeks are going to drag. Vacumed downstairs today and washed some of the floors and my back is killing me again. Hopefully we'll feel brighter tomorrow!!

Aw Taxus, sorry to hear you're having one of those days. They're awful. Stupid hormones and stress and tiredness and discomfort and everything else...

Here's the list of due dates to cheer us all up, getting closer ladies, especially for you Taxus.

Taxus baccata: 6th Sept
    Dollyb: 11th Sept
    sunshine 2000: 12th sept
    jeeney: 17th sept
    Emer_b: 21st sept
    emmabrighton: 24th sept
    squiggler: 24th sept
    elaney: 28th sept
    Supadupa: 29th Sept
    Queen of sheebs: 29th sept
    fran79: 30th sept
    Vel: 30th sept
    minty doris:??
    trishka: ??

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Must be the weather or something. Or did I start off with the negativity this morning ... Oops!

There is a more up to date list floating around somewhere. Will find it and edit :D

Trishka: 15th September
    MintyDoris: 26th Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Having one of those days too had to bring my little fella to the doctor he has an infection so he is on antibiotics.

Hope you get on ok with the doctor supa.
    Sorry to hear about your sickness minty im still sick every couple of days i doubt it will go away now . Its strange how you get used to it.

I hope Emma b is getting on ok in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

MintyDoris wrote: »
    Must be the weather or something

There is a more up to date list floating around. Will find it and edit :D

Trishka: 15th September
    MintyDoris: 26th Sept

I wonder who will go first we might be surprised.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ladies! I think it might just be the weather, for the first time in weeks I have the lights on here in the office! I NEED SUNSHINE!!!! :D

We have our next antenatal class tomorrow evening, I really love them as they bring it home to me that we're going to have a baby soon! One that I can pick up whenever I want, snuggle, love, adore, hold, feed . . . . oh I cannot wait till September!

Hope ye all feel better soon elaney, queen of sheebs and taxus_baccata. I think we all have a dose of the Monday blues.

Doctor helped reassure me a bit anyway. Turns out the infection will re occur and ill just have to be monitored carefully as my chance of early labour will be increased. Antibiotics are working for now and inflammation is gone down a little bit so I'm more positive now. Crisis averted for now :-)

On another note just went to check new house, still not cleaned or painted! Mental breakdown time. Just wanna fall asleep and disappear for a week and everything will be done.

Big hugs to all u ladies. Hope the blues shag off soon x

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    I hope everyone is feeling a bit better this evening!

Just to add to the moaning - I'm fed up of being kept awake by a wriggling baby!! lol

Seeing all the comments about antenatle classes made me panic a little. I thought I would be ok without them as this is no. 2, but I'm beginning to wonder now...... mmmmmm thin I may have left it too late to get onto a class now anyway.

Hope everyone has a better Tuesday - I am not looking forward to tommorrow 3 lines running at work (normally only 1 or 2) and a customer trial with customer on site. To top that the company owners grand daughter is with me all day for training (she has a summer job and its her 2nd day).Think I will be a bit tired (oh the joys of quality based job roles).
    Thank god my son is with his grandad for 2 days!! at least he wont be waking me up at 5am (but I still love him)

Right enough of my ranting - sending positive vibes to everyone for the rest of the week!

Fran 79, hope everything goes ok today. It's not easy to keep going at full pace at work at this point. I've a business trip on Thursday which will mean an early start and getting home pretty late and I'm kinda dreading it.

But, yesterday I got the good news that the company I've been on secondment to have contacted my current employers and started to put measures in place to make me permanent here... which means I know I'll be coming back here after my maternity leave. So happy! I love this job and working here, I was just worried that the prospect of me being absent for up to a year would put them off keeping me.

Very squirmy baby in the early hours of the morning, but from the latest hiccoughs it seems that baby may be head down (again), hopefully for keeps this time.

I hope you all had a good nights sleep last night.

Hi all, thanks for all the kind words yesterday, feeling a million times better today! Got my first braxton hicks contractions last night, weird but cool! Didn't hurt a bit, thank god, 8 weeks to due date from Thursday :eek:

(I'm trying not to think that the baby will arrive by then, as I said before I might be first on the list, but I'll be the last one to go!:D)

Hi all, thanks for all the kind words yesterday, feeling a million times better today! Got my first braxton hicks contractions last night, weird but cool! Didn't hurt a bit, thank god, 8 weeks to due date from Thursday :eek:

(I'm trying not to think that the baby will arrive by then, as I said before I might be first on the list, but I'll be the last one to go!:D)

Glad to hear that you're feeling much better. Eight weeks will fly by! Even better, in just five weeks your baby will be considered full term :D

The Braxton Hicks can make life interesting at times. I had some yesterday evening - when I was trying to walk home. Quite a weird feeling.

Due dates are such an inexact science. I'm not letting myself think 'baby will be here by...' thoughts because there is no way of knowing for sure. I just hope I get at least a week at home before squiggleybaby makes an appearance :D

I know what you mean about having a week before babs arrives. I'm mad to do a bit of nesting!

We'll probably go and get the cot after I finish up, stuff like that.

Plus I just want to try to get as much sleep/rest as possible and psyche myself up for the hospital ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

Hey ladies :) Sorry to hear some of ye arnt feeling the best hopefully ye are all feeling much better today.

Is anyone not doing antenatal classes?? I was thinking about going but most people have said do not bother. And the more I hear the more I'm turned off??

Must be something in the air with all the baby wiggles..:) Last night I could not put my hands on bump without him kicking them, the little monkey!

DollyB, we haven't bothered with an antenatal class, some people find them reassuring but I don't think I'd be one of those people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

I haven't bothered with the antenatal classes this time either Dollyb. It's a personal thing really, everyone to their own. Fran79 - I wouldn't worry too much, as you know what to expect the second time, or at least we should!! :)

God I'm hoping I get a week too where I can rest after finishing up work. Cos of when my due date falls, I'm not actually getting the full two weeks off work (unfair if you ask me :(). I finish work on 7th Sept, and due on 17th. So if I go early at all, I won't even get a week...arggh.

Hope you are all feeling better today. My movements have slowed down a bit in the last two days...anyone finding that? Babs must be having a few lazy days...!

Jeeney, I'm not sure how your maternity leave was worked out but at least 2 weeks have to be taken before the end of the week of your baby's expected birth (before the end of the 40th week of the pregnancy, as it was explained to me).

That means that because I'm due on the 24th I have to commence maternity leave no later than the 11th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Hi all, my heart goes out to all of you that are not feeling too good at the moment. I have a lot to be thankful for, getting good sleep and no pain or discomfort at the moment. Not bragging about it but feeling very appreciative of my health these days. Baby has really active days and some quiet days too. I can't stop staring at my tummy when it's active, it's fascinating!
    I'm going to do the antenatal classes as I've already met the midwife who runs them and she's lovely, very practical. And a friend of mine is the physiotherapist who runs part of the class. I'm bound to come away with something I didn't know beforehand.
    Was watching the Cork maternity programme on sunday. Have been avoiding all foreign maternity shows as I think they make them too dramatic. The Irish one seems a little more realistic (correct me if I'm wrong!). However the thought of staying in a hospital ward is freaking me out. I've never stayed in hospital overnight in my life, not looking fwrd to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Glad that today is over - got in just after 4pm and have only started moving around now!

So when is everyone starting their maternity leave?

I'm leaving on 24th Aug so 5 weeks and 2 days before my due date (but going on past experience from no 1 I still think that No 2 will come mid Sep). I left 6 weeks before my due date 1 st time round and spent 2 weeks sleeping before getting all my bits and pieces done.

Are many of you working much longer than me?

Never attempt to move house when 7 months pregnant! Seriously never had so many aches in my life. Still have to clean the old house tomorrow and then start unpacking here. Will be worth it in the end though. Lots more space for the baba :-)

Not attending antenatal classes cuz there's none in my area. What do ye reckon ladies? Big mistake?

Squiggler wrote: »
    Jeeney, I'm not sure how your maternity leave was worked out but at least 2 weeks have to be taken before the end of the week of your baby's expected birth (before the end of the 40th week of the pregnancy, as it was explained to me).

That means that because I'm due on the 24th I have to commence maternity leave no later than the 11th.

Well squigs as my due date falls on a Monday (Mon, 17th), they've counted back from the end of that week (Fri, 21st - end of the 40th week). So they're telling me my mat leave starts on 10th sept, so my last day at work is 7th. I think I'm just unlucky that I'm due on a Monday. As I work in public sector, I'm assuming they're right as they deal with maternity leave all the time!

Fran79 - good for you leaving 5 weeks beforehand. Nice to look forward to I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Jeeney your maternity starts from your estimated due date as stated by your doctor...so if your due date is the 17th you count back 14 days....that should be when u start your maternity leave. You count up your 26 weeks from this date too. Have you filled out the mb10 form? There is a section in it for your gp to fill in that includes your edd. Ask your gp maybe to type a letter with your due date and start of maternity leavr date on it.

Fran79, all going well I'm going to work up until the last possible day. Which means I'll be finishing up on the 10th (due 24th). I thought about finishing up on the Friday before but this way I can work a full week and use the Monday to just tie up loose ends and stuff.

Supadupa, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you're a brave lady taking on a house move at this stage in your pregnancy.

Jeeney, your due date is the last day of the 40th week (the day you complete 40 full weeks from your LMP), no matter what day of the week it falls on, so no, they're wrong. But I guess it depends on whether you want to work that late. Even though companies are dealing with Maternity all the time you'd be amazed at how many of them get it wrong - from a tax point of view, remembering to credit for bank holidays that fell during maternity leave...

Girls I am just so shattered today. Went to bed around 10, passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow and then woke about 3 hours later and didn't get back to sleep until 5.30 this morning. Hubby was snoring intermittently. I tried earplugs but they only work for me, not for squiggleybaby who was going crazy and had decided that it was party time. I've to get an early train to Cork tomorrow for an all-day meeting and I'm beginning to dread it.

Ok thanks squiggler and Queen of sheebs. I actually thought I'd be finishing up end of Aug myself and was then surprised to be told would have to work until 7th sept. Will check this out with HR today. And yes, have filled out MB10 form already queen of sheebs and doc has the correct edd down and it's gone into HR.

Squigs - sorry to hear you're tired today. Horrible when you can't get back to sleep. It's so annoying when you know you've work in the morn. Good luck with work trip tomor and hope u get a good night's sleep tonight!

• Advertisement

Also Jeeney, worth noting that you're the one who decides when you go on maternity leave, not your employer - as long as you take it no later than 2 weeks before due date and for no less than 4 weeks after the birth. Having worked for a number of public agencies over the past 5 years (and still working for one) it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they're not familiar with the legislation (or don't understand it) :D Our employee handbook states that we're legally required to take maternity leave 4 weeks before the due date, which is wrong too :rolleyes:

I think I'm actually going to have some coffee.

I've also just been talking to my manager (I'm his deputy) and we're going to have to have a disciplinary chat with one of our staff on Friday (notorious for his temper tantrums) - so this week just gets more and more fun. I'm ready for the weekend already.

Advertisement