Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopefully buying first bike on Monday...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Shes in the shop now, he said he'd call me when shes up and running but it wont be until sometime tomorrow he gets a chance to see to it. Once shes up and running hell do the cable bearings and restrictor.

So so far my biking experience has been a total disaster!

Your man in the garage called said to come down, bike needs a good bit of work. went down and he said parts alone would cost 1000 and i wouldnt see change of 1500 after labour. not bad considering a paid 1400 for the bike so to put the problems right itd cost what it would have to bought a bike for a bit more. But i dont have that kinda money lying around! And when i told people where the bike was, ive heard from nearly everyone thats hes a gangster or a cowboy....not to mention some of the things on his list, the guy i brought with me said id get another 5-6 months out of.

His list:
    Discs front (said they're warped)-My guy said the back disc was more worn but had another 5 months in it.

Front brakes sticking-didnt feel this on my two hours ride.

rear tyre- partly worn in the centre but both sides are grand-my guy said id get another 5-6 months out of it.

rear wheel bearings and speedo cable-problems i was aware of.

battery and rectifyer-guy i bought it from said it was a year old battery. maybe the rectifyer is to blame?

clutch cable-was a bit tight but i thought this might be downto the way the guy had it adjusted and i'd adjust it myself after finding a way i like it.

The garage probably can justify this, but the conflicting opinions, the way the bike rode while i was riding it for two hours and the guys apparent reputation has me wondering.

I paid him the 25 he charged for looking over it and said i can call back for it in the morning if i dont want to go ahead with the work, hell start it up and i can take it away.

Im going to take it to the lee honda centre see if they have a different opinion. Anyone else know of any other smaller motorbike garages around that i could try and suss out?? If the work is going to cost more then i paid for the bike, while id love to do it as i love the bike, the bike will be lying up a month or two while im trying to save up the money.

Disaster.

Also, are some of those items listed....would any of them be ok to try get from a breakers? clutch cable/speedo cable/discs/chain/sprockets/recitfyer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Ah man, that's so sh!t, I'd be getting onto the f**ker who sold it to you like that! :mad: Anyway, here's a couple of things...

"And when i told people where the bike was, ive heard from nearly everyone thats hes a gangster or a cowboy...not to mention some of the things on his list, the guy i brought with me said id get another 5-6 months out of."

If you heard from nearly everyone that this guy is a gangster/cowboy, why the hell did you buy the bike?? I feel for you man.

"rear tyre- partly worn in the centre but both sides are grand-my guy said id get another 5-6 months out of it." This is a squared off tyre. Depending on how badly it's squared off, you might not even get 5 or 6 months

battery and rectifyer-guy i bought it from said it was a year old battery. maybe the rectifyer is to blame? If you have a dodgy rectifier, it's gonna f**k up your battery. Normally if you're changing one, you should really change the other.

Mate I'm sorry to say it but ya got shafted!

Lee Honda have a good name. There's a lad in there (Eric) he'll set you right. I don't know of any others down that way I'm afraid. Hope you get sorted and best of luck.

Also, are some of those items listed....would any of them be ok to try get from a breakers? clutch cable/speedo cable/discs/chain/sprockets/recitfyer?

You can get any/all of these from a breakers, but are yo going to be sure the discs you get from a breakers aren't warped either? You need to be sure. Sprockets - unless it was only recently put onto the bike that's being broken, you may as well just get a new one. They're not mad expensive anyway. Same for a chain.

• Advertisement

Ah man, that's so sh!t, I'd be getting onto the f**ker who sold it to you like that! :mad: Anyway, here's a couple of things...

"And when i told people where the bike was, ive heard from nearly everyone thats hes a gangster or a cowboy...not to mention some of the things on his list, the guy i brought with me said id get another 5-6 months out of."

If you heard from nearly everyone that this guy is a gangster/cowboy, why the hell did you buy the bike?? I feel for you man.

"rear tyre- partly worn in the centre but both sides are grand-my guy said id get another 5-6 months out of it." This is a squared off tyre. Depending on how badly it's squared off, you might not even get 5 or 6 months

battery and rectifyer-guy i bought it from said it was a year old battery. maybe the rectifyer is to blame? If you have a dodgy rectifier, it's gonna f**k up your battery. Normally if you're changing one, you should really change the other.

Mate I'm sorry to say it but ya got shafted!

Lee Honda have a good name. There's a lad in there (Eric) he'll set you right. I don't know of any others down that way I'm afraid. Hope you get sorted and best of luck.

Sorry i meant the garage that i brought it to, after i brought it to that garage, i heard that hes a gangster. Unfortunately!! I thinkl i may have a friend of a relation working in a shop close by that ill bring it to, but ill call those two breakers first off and suss out parts! Ill bring it to the lee honda centre in the morning and other smaller places just to see what i can do and if buying the parts cheap from a breaker will do me any justice!

fairly gutted!! I should think of it as an investment into future happy biking! Positive thinking and all that **** right?? Althought everytime i hear a bike outside i wanna punch whoevers happily riding it!!

Sorry i meant the garage that i brought it to, after i brought it to that garage, i heard that hes a gangster. Unfortunately!! I thinkl i may have a friend of a relation working in a shop close by that ill bring it to, but ill call those two breakers first off and suss out parts! Ill bring it to the lee honda centre in the morning and other smaller places just to see what i can do and if buying the parts cheap from a breaker will do me any justice!

fairly gutted!! I should think of it as an investment into future happy biking! Positive thinking and all that **** right?? Althought everytime i hear a bike outside i wanna punch whoevers happily riding it!!

Ah, I got ya now. Yeah I was thinking €1000 for the parts you mentioned is a bit steep alright. I recently got a rectifier AND battery for a CBR600 and it cost me €45 and €35. The rest of the parts you listed, won't cost you that much, no way.

Ah chin up mate, the joys of! It'll work out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can get any/all of these from a breakers, but are yo going to be sure the discs you get from a breakers aren't warped either? You need to be sure. Sprockets - unless it was only recently put onto the bike that's being broken, you may as well just get a new one. They're not mad expensive anyway. Same for a chain.

Chain and sprockets should be done at the same time. Changing them separately is false economy, as they'll all wear out faster.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Chain and sprockets should be done at the same time. Changing them separately is false economy, as they'll all wear out faster.

Yep. Agreed.

ill try get those two together, the bagttery and recitfyer together. ill get a few opinions on the tyre, dont want to be stressing about the price of that if it can wait until another payday! i presume the clutch cable will be ok to get from another bike, as with the speedo cable? what about the speedo drive? the bearings arent too costly.

Mother of god, im chinnin up alright! But the last thing i want is for the bike to be lying up developing more problems while im savbing to put these ones right!

• Advertisement

ill try get those two together, the bagttery and recitfyer together. ill get a few opinions on the tyre, dont want to be stressing about the price of that if it can wait until another payday! i presume the clutch cable will be ok to get from another bike, as with the speedo cable? what about the speedo drive? the bearings arent too costly.

Yeah the clutch cable and speedo cable would be ok, but again, they're not expensive new so you might be better off getting them new. Speedo drive should be ok second hand though.

Gonna ring around a few breakers tomorrow, pop into a few garages and hopefully get the bones of the parts for as cheap as possible!! My only problem is, everywhere i go, i have to be sure that if i switch off the bike, theyll be able to turn it back on again with a bandy battery and rectifier so i can move on to the next place!!

Wish me luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Wish me luck!!

Best of luck, you've been missing it this week.

Check the lengths and the ends on the cables, there's a bit of variety in the breakers. Try online as well specially for the less urgent stuff like chain and sprockets.

After a quick search on ebay, the price including shipping comes to 275 for:

Speedo cable:£9.95+£2.50 shipping.

Slinky glide clutch cable: £9.95+£2.5
    OR
    Quality Glide Clutch Cable: £7.50+£1.95

Chain and sprocket:£75+£9.99+£10 (P&P)

front disc: £160+£10 (P&P)

Battery: (£22.50+P&P)

Couldnt get a recitifier...

ill compare these to any breaker quotes i get in the morning...

fingers crossed i can do this!!

!

It's usually the speedo worm gear that goes on these Bandits as it made out of soft plastic, the speedo cable rarely goes. Don't buy it 2nd hand as it'll just go again.

Quick update! Went down to P&T Breakers in cork, nice guys! Laughed when i told them your man wanted 1.5k for the jobs.

They said the chain just needs adjustment, but has another 5000 miles on it, theyll adjust that when they're chaning the tyre and bearings.

they said the breaks werent sticking, theyll change all the pads and oil up the pistons on the brakes and discs. but they dont need to be changed. New back tyre.

speedo cable and clutch cable, no bother, tenor each, maybe the drive, 35.

they said the battery was charging fine so theyll get me a new one, the alternator and r3ectifier are ok as its charging.

All in all...parts and labour....no more than 400 quid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Quick update! Went down to P&T Breakers in cork, nice guys! Laughed when i told them your man wanted 1.5k for the jobs.

All in all...parts and labour....no more than 400 quid!!

If you ever needed proof that it pays to shop around...

Stop! Well your man originally said that the bike wont start after he starts it after i shut it off. I had the pleasure of driving past him after being down to the lads and giving him the nod!

Nice long spin today, tickin over like a mouses heart!!

Boooked in for restriction monday morning, i have them, just need them installed. and then down to the boyus to get the jobs done!!

All in all, things are coming up trumps!

Slinky glide clutch cable: £9.95+£2.5
    OR
    Quality Glide Clutch Cable: £7.50+£1.95

Chain and sprocket:£75+£9.99+£10 (P&P)

front disc: £160+£10 (P&P)

Battery: (£22.50+P&P)

Couldnt get a recitifier...

ill compare these to any breaker quotes i get in the morning...

fingers crossed i can do this!!

Excellent, so where did the other lad get €1000 from???? FFS! Hope it works out lad.

Excellent, so where did the other lad get €1000 from???? FFS! Hope it works out lad.

1,2, .....skip a few..99,........ :confused:1000!!
    I've a four year old who counts like that :D

Although in fairness if he quoted new OEM parts they are going to add up plus he's going to have a higher mark up in a shop than a breakers needs to have.

• Advertisement

I dunno what he was playing at. rectifyer and battery he wanted 250. turns out the battery was charging grand just a bad battery and the alternator was grand. he'd of gotten 200 quid into his hand for absolutley nothing. Apparently those bandits dont have rectifyers, theyve alternators. Easy 200 quid for him i suppose! Some business model, charge through the ass for makey uppy problems and lose business!

Apparently those bandits dont have rectifyers, theyve alternators.

AC Battery! Wow!

All was going well until this morning! Bike started chugging and revs dropped and she conked when i was going up a hill!! Long time pushing the bike to work!!

Oil shows empty just after the engine is off but goes to ha;lf full after a while.

Any ideas what it might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭rock22

All was going well until this morning! Bike started chugging and revs dropped and she conked when i was going up a hill!! Long time pushing the bike to work!!

Oil shows empty just after the engine is off but goes to ha;lf full after a while.

Any ideas what it might be?

Not sure if I fully understand what you mean. I'm not that familiar with your model.
    Is there a glass window allowing you the see the oil level? If this is what you are describing then it is normal for the oil level to change like this when the engine is stopped. The important measurement is made when the engine has stopped and at rest for a few minutes.

The symptoms you describe could have a number of causes. The simplest is running out of fuel. Is it possible that you have no petrol? ( remember that there will still be some petrol in the tank even when you have used all available petrol).

If it is low then put a couple of litres more in and try it again.

Yep! Petrol in the tank, only put in 15 two days and there's astill a good bit in there. yeah the level reads as empty when the engine is running and after its been off a couple minutes it shows about half full. Ill have to change it soon anyway.

What happened was i was stopped and the engine was idling and the revs started dropping and then it conked. I got it going again starting i with the choke open, then going up a hill it started shuddering and revs dropping again and then conked and i couldnt get it going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Zebbedee

What happened was i was stopped and the engine was idling and the revs started dropping and then it conked. I got it going again starting i with the choke open, then going up a hill it started shuddering and revs dropping again

You are only supposed to use the choke when the engine is cold. Shut the choke off after a minute or so. Running a hot engine with the choke on will produce the symptoms you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Magown3

Could it be the fuel pump? Or a clogged fuel filter?

Doesn't that Bandit have a fuel tap?

Sounds like the tap may be turned off if it does or may be on main, try switching to reserve or prime. Just be aware that prime will drain the tank and with no fuel gauge you could get stuck.

I had a decent bit of petrol in it, you could see it floating around when the tanks was open, but i popped on the reserve this morning and started away. there was some in there alright but maybe not enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

jaysus...i was looking at this on donedeal pondering whether to buy it or not?

Advertisement