Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopefully buying first bike on Monday...

Options
  • 14-01-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hey, I'm going to view a bike on Monday evening with the intention of buying it there and then if everything else checks out. I called the guy who was straight up in saying that it needs a back bearing and a speedo cable (got a quote from rosses for 100 quid for parts and labour). So if everything else checks out on this bike I have the intention of buying it that night. Just wondering whats the usual procedure.....is cash ok? Will I type up a receipt?

Also is there anything i need to look out for? It's a 99 Bandit with 23k and a replaced tank due to rust after it was imported from england?

Are there any recurring problems in these bikes i should be looking out for especially?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Check it out in good daylight.

Some feirce chancers out there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Bring a mate with you that knows about bikes. 23 k on a 99 bike is low miles.
    Maybe the speedo reads that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

+1 on bringing someone else with you. If the bike is for yourself, you tend to make emotional decisions.

Make sure he has the ownership cert (logbook) and get him to fill it out and sign it yourself when you hand over the money.

Have you checked out tax / insurance? Is it restricted - since it's your first bike it will have to be.

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Yeah it has a restrictor and cert, he said he'd fit it back in but i'd say ill get the garage to do it or double check it while getting the speedo cable and bearings done. Ive a friend comin with me who knows a bit about bikes so ill get him to test ride it also. He said it had low miles when he brought it in, is there any way of finding out if the speedos been dialled back at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Why does it need a speedo cable? That sounds a bit dodgy to start with, not a normal wear item unless it's been in a drill chuck.

• Advertisement

The ads been up for about two months, he said the speedo is only a problem from the last couple of weeks. is it ok to link the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yeah it's fine, link away

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2740612

Taxed for the next three months, 1999, 23k miles, new tank after imported to ireland, new wheels also, back bearing and speedo cable need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2740612

Taxed for the next three months, 1999, 23k miles, new tank after imported to ireland, new wheels also, back bearing and speedo cable need replacing.

Looks like a clean bike from the pics, nice first bike. If you end up buying it the very best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I'd be sketchy about the speedo cable but it does look clean. Definitely bring someone with a bit of know-how with you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Cedrus wrote: »
    Why does it need a speedo cable? That sounds a bit dodgy to start with, not a normal wear item unless it's been in a drill chuck.
    I've a bike out the back that needs a speedo cable. Its just wear in my case so not necessarily dodgy.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I've a bike out the back that needs a speedo cable. Its just wear in my case so not necessarily dodgy.
    No, not necessarily dodgy, and neither is the low mileage. 23,000 in 13 years would be low for a bike that's used daily but not for a weekender. But, low miles and missing/damaged speedo cable is an alert to look closely for signs of clocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Zebbedee

Speedo cables regularly snap due to lack of lubrication. I've had loads go on me over the years.

Thanks for all the replies so far! Are there any tell tale signs of clocking that would jump out at me?

Thanks for all the replies so far! Are there any tell tale signs of clocking that would jump out at me?
    Just the overall condition, what's worn etc. I'm not saying it has been clocked and even if it has, there's nothing wrong with buying a high mileage machine so long as you know that more stuff is going to need replacing. It's not even necessary to wind back a odometer since you can just go to a breakers and get a younger one. In any case its the bike itself you need to be looking at not the mileage and the claims of a seller re maintenance.

Well i know of those tweo things, and a slight tear on the front of the seat. Other then that, how much slack should i expect from the chain? I know to take the bike for a spin, get through all the gears in high revs, then let it idle and check if the fan does it's job when its idle after a spin. Are there any other little things like this is hould do?

I've a friend coming with me whose ridden bikes in spain and that so i think he'll have a fair idea of what should and shouldnt be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭rock22

Hey, I'm going to view a bike on Monday evening with the intention of buying it there and then if everything else checks out. I called the guy who was straight up in saying that it needs a back bearing and a speedo cable (got a quote from rosses for 100 quid for parts and labour). QUOTE]

I would assume mileage is inaccurate when speedo is no working,

I would really wonder why the seller had not sorted out these problems. It could be that they mask a further , more expensive problem. i.e. perhaps speedo is faulty etc.

If I was selling a bike I would certainly fix simple things like speedo cable and I would be suspicious of anyone who wouldn't so same.

Good luck with you decision (and purchase if you go ahead.(

In one of those pics there are two bikes, the other looking like its had more wear and tear and its the cleaner looking one he is selling. Is this something to be suspicious of also?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

In one of those pics there are two bikes, the other looking like its had more wear and tear and its the cleaner looking one he is selling. Is this something to be suspicious of also?

So in four pictures the bike he is actually selling is in one, beside the nicer one? Drop it and walk away. Its not going to be worth it, not with that type of shoddy snake oil tactics.

Other then that, how much slack should i expect from the chain?
    The chain could be slack or tight, that's something you'll have to do weekly anyway but you're looking for scope for tightening on the adjuster and the teeth on the sprocket should be symmetrical, if they're hooked, you'll need both chain and sprockets replacing.
    rock22 wrote: »
    I would assume mileage is inaccurate when speedo is no working,(
    It's certainly safe to say that the odometer has recorded nothing since the cable was disconnected, and it would have been a simple job to replace it.
    The other bike doesn't look like a bandit, I'd guess the seller just used pictures he already had, the last one has the bike with a screen on it so they weren't taken at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The speedo cable on that vintage Bandit go regularly, but are easy to replace if you wanted the correct mileage showing.

OP have you or your friend motorbike licences and open ride insurance? How are you planning on getting it home?

Before you hand over any cash go to the address on the VLC and make sure the seller can get in, you could always be dieing for a hit and miss! Cash is fine for a bike of that vintage. Make sure you meet in a public place with CCTV during daylight if possible as darkness can hide a lot of stuff, street lighting isn't good enough so bring torches if you have to view at night.

Bought the Bike! Was delighted with it last night, Brought a friend who checked it out and said everything was ok, rid the bike back and around for an hour or so, no problems whatsoever.

Got up this morning to bring it to the garage to get the restrictor that came with it fitted, speedo cable and baxck bearing.....turned it on....fiddled with the choke and conked it :( Hasn't started since......being picked up by the garage this evening!!

Some luck! I had to go fiddlin!

Did you contact the person you bought it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Did you contact the person you bought it from?

Private sale. No comeback.

Private sale. No comeback.

I know that. That still wouldn't stop me ringing up the person and asking a few questions if I was in OP's position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I know that. That still wouldn't stop me ringing up the person and asking a few questions if I was in OP's position.

Likewise!!

He said to call him if theres any problems cause he doesnt want to sell a dirty bike, and got the impression he was really gutted to see it go. I'll see what the problem is before i call him back, because it started grand this morning, only conked when i opened the choke without letting it heat up or a bit. Ill see what the problem is before i go calling him over my rush to get back out driving it! Rode it around for 2 hours last night, no problems whatsoever. Friends of mine, riding big bikes for years, huge into the mechanics side of things said its a sound bike that way.

...it started grand this morning, only conked when i opened the choke without letting it heat up or a bit...

Did you not put on the choke, THEN start it, and knock off the choke when it warmed up?? You don't put on the choke after it has been started, you put it on when starting it first thing. :)

Stupid mistake! And finishing my IBT and buying a bike nearly 5 months afterwards without riding in between being a close second! So open the choke up a bit, start her up for a while and then turn her off? I turned the bike on and then started oping the choke and it conked. Im pretty sure it was my own stupid rookie mistake! I just hope its not an expensive one! Feel like some eejit!

• Advertisement

Stupid mistake! And finishing my IBT and buying a bike nearly 5 months afterwards without riding in between being a close second! So open the choke up a bit, start her up for a while and then turn her off? I turned the bike on and then started oping the choke and it conked. Im pretty sure it was my own stupid rookie mistake! I just hope its not an expensive one! Feel like some eejit!

No need to feel silly. We all have to learn. But yes, the sequence is as I stated, turn on the ignition, put on your choke, push the start button (don't touch the throttle) the bike should start, revving a bit. As the bike warms up, reduce the choke and turn it off completely when the bike warms completely. And don't worry, it doesn't damage the bike. :)

Advertisement