Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

As in followed by a no 7?

Didn't know you were doing this. Had a thread up there about this, rebelcorp was thinking about it, must PM him.

Yep that's me, like I say I've not been on there in a while! I'm just doing the half btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

Previews of the various legs of the Cork City Marathon.....

Relay Leg 1

Relay Leg 2

Relay Leg 3

Relay Leg 4

Relay Leg 5

Info on the Half-Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Condo131 wrote: »
    Good man! You're doing the wise thing. There are plenty of other Marathons, so, if you are advised not to run, it may not be as "gutting" to miss this one. It's a bitch, having put so much training into a Marathon, to miss out. If you do miss out, you could try for another in 4 to 6 weeks, either in Ireland or abroad - you should be well over your infection and any antibiotics by then.

Cranberry juice is often recommended for UTIs and also boosting the immune system.

Good woman!! :eek: I'll be okay for Monday says my Doc. Fluids and rest and maybe antibiotics if I don't feel better tom. So I'm relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭angelIRL

Just in case anyone is looking for a way into the city from East Cork on Monday:

As is the norm now, all trains on the East Cork lines operate hourly all day, with the exception that this Bank Holiday Monday, Irish Rail have added the following services to cater for Cork City Marathon runners:
    • 0700 Cork - Cobh & 0730 Cobh - Cork
    • 0715 Cork - Midleton & 0745 Midleton - Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

Hi folks, quick question - I'm unlikely to make it into Cork until after 6pm Sunday i.e. after registration finishes. Now my old man is doing the race too, so will he be able to collect my number? We have the same surname (obviously :D) and I registered using my parents Cork address. Or would I need to send him some sort of signed confirmation that he can collect my number and a copy of an ID? I had to do this for London before but i was thinking Cork mightn't be so strict, especially as the two numbers will be registered to the same address. I've had a look at the marathon site but couldn't see anything in relation to this, might be best if i pop them a mail
    You should be OK to get someone else to collect the race number and pack. Given that its your father collecting it, there should not be a problem. I think all they want to see is the confirmation letter, which he will have anyway.

Also given that its Cork, your father will probably know the person at the desk!! Sure, 'twill be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Is there a bag drop for the half marathon anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

robinph wrote: »
    New we hadn't sorted out the pub for the after yet...

Is there a local Corkonian about to suggest somewhere?

If you're looking for a useful spot to meet after the race and the Sextant is jammed (it usually is) then just across the river from the City Hall (where you'll collect gear and relay medals) is the Boardwalk Bar. Unsurprisingly it's located on the boardwalk (beside the Clarion Hotel). It's a big place and there's plenty of room. There will be loads of runners there and if the weather is decent you can hang out on the boardwalk too. The other advantage is you can order grub while you're having a few pints. There was a good buzz there last year on marathon day and on the day of the Lee swim.

Not the type of bar you'd spend the evening in but a good spot for the few hours after the race.
    15cy046.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

emerald007 wrote: »
    Is there a bag drop for the half marathon anywhere?
    At City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

Jogathon wrote: »
    Good woman!! :eek: I'll be okay for Monday says my Doc. Fluids and rest and maybe antibiotics if I don't feel better tom. So I'm relieved.
    Sorry! redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif
    Sounds like you nipped it in the bud. Don't forget - cranberry juice! - it'll also help you recover after a course of antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eclair212

What time do full marathon runners need to be at the start line on the day?
    I know it starts at 9 but can anyone who has done the marathon before advise how long beforehand you should be there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

eclair212 wrote: »
    I know it starts at 9 but can anyone who has done the marathon before advise how long beforehand you should be there?

You shouldn't leave it too late in case of unforeseen circumstances but if you are there by 8:30am you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

eclair212 wrote: »

All depends on whether you'd like to soak up a bit of the atmosphere or not plus the weather will have a bearing. It's very easy to get over the barrier to whatever time slot/group you are hoping to run with so that won't be an issue. Queues for toilets do get quite long though so if you need to go, then it's better to be early. I usually arrive 30 - 40 mins beforehand but I enjoy meeting up with some of the other runners and the time flies. Don't cut it too fine as you don't want to be panicking and rushing before the race even starts.:) Best of luck and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oriainliam

anyone who cant make the marathon out there. I am too late to register and want to runnnnnnnnnn.

liam.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

oriainliam wrote: »
    anyone who cant make the marathon out there. I am too late to register and want to runnnnnnnnnn.

liam.

Run Waterford in late June instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

oriainliam wrote: »

liam.

Why the sudden urgency?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

is everyone nervous or excited?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

BobMac104 wrote: »
    is everyone nervous or excited?

Both :D - roll on the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Right so, no predicted time table up yet so here goes:
    Belcarra - 3:29:59

Time to lay your heads on the chopping block!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

belcarra wrote: »

I reckon I haven't enough speed or tempo sessions done for it but aiming for < 3.09.50 :rolleyes: Then a cold cider to celebrate :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

belcarra wrote: »

Ok, can't concentrate on much else at this stage so might as well stick my head on the block as well-

corkrunner71 -3.09.50
    Sideswipe - 3:25:00

I've an A, B & C Goal
    A- 3:25
    B- Sub 3:30
    C- New PB (Currently 3:35:xx From NYC Last year)
    My only concern is that if the going get's tough I'll let my goals slip too quickly when the little voices start in my ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck to everyone running Cork on Monday, Relay, Half & Full and especially if its a first.....ENJOY!!

I hope the weather is perfect for it!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Taramorourke

Wow, nice to see a few people trying for 3:30. My goal is a sub 3:35 to qualify me for the Boston Marathon. I'm going with the 3:30 pacers since I tend to go out too fast and I suck at pacing myself. Really excited AND really nervous! Goodluck everyone Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Feeling great now, hope Its the same on the day, I'm sticking to the 3:30 pacers, so I'll come come with belcarra in 3:29:58;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

be delighted with 3:30 myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Right - I've taken liberty by putting this into a proper table.

Ran 3:25 in Rotterdam 7 weeks ago as a training run for this so I'm gonna roll the dice with sub 3:15 and see what happens :cool:

Name|Predicted Time|Actual Time
    Belcarra|03:29:59
    corkrunner71|03:09:50
    Sideswipe|03:25:00
    Taramorourke|03:35:00
    irfrm|03:29:58
    BobMac104|03:30:00
    PaulieYifter|03:14:30
    Conor74|03:39:59

corkrunner71 -3.09.50
    Sideswipe - 3:25:00
    Conor74 - 3.39.59

And thus I drag down the entire average. No idea if I can do it, would be 20 mins inside my only marathon time, but that's the goal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'm not even going to attempt to mess around with that table. Can somebody put me down for 3'44'59

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Jcsmum|03:44:59
    Mr Slow|03:44:59

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Jcsmum|03:44:59
    Mr Slow|03:44:59
    Alitoast|03:45:00

First time runner so 1st goal to finish. Second to break 4hrs. Third to keep with the 3:45 pacers who I plan to run with.

Really understanding the whole taper madness thing now. I think I'm eating too much one minute then not enough the next, should I get in a sneaky run now or should I be saving myself??? Just want Monday to be tomorrow, the suspense is killing me

Advertisement