Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Just back from a week & a half's holiday in France wrapped around a friend's wedding. Not much (meaning none!) in the way of running but plenty of eating & drinking meaning I've added ~3kg in weight :eek: Still figured I needed a break after the VLM.

Got in a handy half-marathon run distance this evening & will give a BHAA 5k race a go tomorrow & then take it easy 'til next Monday. Current plan is to try and stick with the 3h pacers 'til I either keel over or finish, whichever comes first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Met Eireann forecast up to Thursday has Cork reaching 22c, bring your suncream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Did the marathon in 2009 when it was a heatwave, the relay in 2010 when it was a storm and the half last year when it was drizzley.

So on my layman's weather guide, it could be anything so don't worry about looking at the weather until Friday. You'll only worry yourself. Drink plenty water and keep it easy.

And yes, its easy for me to say that when i'm not running it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Condo131 wrote: »
    No showers! Mind you there was a nasty shower in Dublin last year, not long after I finished! :rolleyes:

You were lucky. I had one mile to go, was enjoying the support on the way in and it was like someone turned a tap on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Met Eireann forecast up to Thursday has Cork reaching 22c, bring your suncream.

YR.NO (usually very accurate) has Monday at 11 degrees, rain, and Light breeze, 2 m/s from south-southeast

As mentioned earlier, best not to concern yourself too much with the weather forecast until Friday or Sat.

• Advertisement

As mentioned earlier, best not to concern yourself too much with the weather forecast until Friday or Sat.

I'm jogging around for the craic, not concerned at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'm not concerned at all ;)

I saw that!

jcsmum wrote: »
    I saw that!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Lads, I've woken up this morning with a kidney infection. I'm just struggling through here in work - on ibuprofen and the pain is easing. Should I go to the doctor? I don't want to take an antibiotic - cos it'll affect me on Monday. I have Thurs and Fri off and can relax tonight. I'm completely allerg cos up until now I've flown through my training with no problems and am just stressing about it now. How long does it take to get better from one of these? I'm generally very quick to heal - and very rarely get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

Jogathon wrote: »
    Lads, I've woken up this morning with a kidney infection. I'm just struggling through here in work - on ibuprofen and the pain is easing. Should I go to the doctor? I don't want to take an antibiotic - cos it'll affect me on Monday. I have Thurs and Fri off and can relax tonight. I'm completely allerg cos up until now I've flown through my training with no problems and am just stressing about it now. How long does it take to get better from one of these? I'm generally very quick to heal - and very rarely get sick.

FFS, Go to the doctor!! eek.gifeek.gif

If you do have a kidney infection, then you could get very, very sick, without even running a Marathon. If you run a marathon with a kidney infection, there is a VERY, VERY high probability that you will NOT finish AND that you will be hospitalised!

The weather is picking up and Monday may be pretty warm. Your kidneys will be subject to an extra load, before even talking about your infection.

With a kidney infection, you may do *SERIOUS* - and permanent - damage to your health. You can't turn the clock back on serious health issues. There's more to life than running a Marathon. Look after your health first! Disappointing as it may be to miss it, you can always do another Marathon.

...and tell the doc that you're running a Marathon - don't hide it - you'd only be fooling yourself!

• Advertisement

With a kidney infection, you may do *SERIOUS* - and permanent - damage to your health. You can't turn the clock back on serious health issues. There's more to life than running a Marathon. Look after your health first! Disappointing as it may be to miss it, you can always do another Marathon.

^This, cop on to yourself and go to the Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

So, are there many people waiting around on the Monday evening for drinks??
    Debating here whether to stay around myself and bask in the after-glo or hit the road back to Dublin instead...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

belcarra wrote: »
    Debating here whether to stay around myself and bask in the after-glo or hit the road back to Dublin instead...

New we hadn't sorted out the pub for the after yet...

Is there a local Corkonian about to suggest somewhere?

Yes, lots of us!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

FFS, Go to the doctor!! eek.gifeek.gif

If you do have a kidney infection, then you could get very, very sick, without even running a Marathon. If you run a marathon with a kidney infection, there is a VERY, VERY high probability that you will NOT finish AND that you will be hospitalised!

The weather is picking up and Monday may be pretty warm. Your kidneys will be subject to an extra load, before even talking about your infection.

...and tell the doc that you're running a Marathon - don't hide it - you'd only be fooling yourself!

Okay - fair enough. Have booked appointment with the doctor. He's a serious runner himself so will understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

robinph wrote: »
    New we hadn't sorted out the pub for the after yet...

Is there a local Corkonian about to suggest somewhere?

Fcek it, I've booked the Tuesday off work now so i'll hang around.
    I know the official after race party is in the Bodega but I'm sure there'll be a visit to one or two other pubs before that...!
    Larry Tompkins bar is on the quay just beside where you turn the corner for the finishing 200m. No outside drinking area as such but there is a laneway beside it so I'm sure if its a nice day we could heckle/support people about to finish...?

Fcek it, I've booked the Tuesday off work now so i'll hang around.
    I know the official after race party is in the Bodega but I'm sure there'll be a visit to one or two other pubs before that...!
    Larry Tompkins bar is on the quay just beside where you turn the corner for the finishing 200m. No outside drinking area as such but there is a laneway beside it so I'm sure if its a nice day we could heckle/support people about to finish...?

The Bodega was jammed to the doors last year, we didn't even try to enter. Seating would be a priority for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

First time I was in there but The Vicarstown Bar has a great outside area and is very near the bodega for a backup place to go.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5485250 (should have used maymyrun/walk :) )

Looks like an old man sh*thole from the outside but relay nice inside with lots of seating and big beer garden in the back.

Personally it wouldn't be a place I would go to but with a group it would be grand but the bodega is kindof like that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

Jogathon wrote: »
    Okay - fair enough. Have booked appointment with the doctor. He's a serious runner himself so will understand.
    Good man! You're doing the wise thing. There are plenty of other Marathons, so, if you are advised not to run, it may not be as "gutting" to miss this one. It's a bitch, having put so much training into a Marathon, to miss out. If you do miss out, you could try for another in 4 to 6 weeks, either in Ireland or abroad - you should be well over your infection and any antibiotics by then.

Cranberry juice is often recommended for UTIs and also boosting the immune system.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Good man! You're doing the wise thing. There are plenty of other Marathons, so, if you are advised not to run, it may not be as "gutting" to miss this one. It's a bitch, having put so much training into a Marathon, to miss out. If you do miss out, you could try for another in 4 to 6 weeks, either in Ireland or abroad - you should be well over your infection and any antibiotics by then.

Cranberry juice is often recommended for UTIs and also boosting the immune system.

Exactly what this guy said.

Had to pull out of Amsterdam last year at the last minute due to severe <something_the_docs_never_identified> occurring a few days before. Back back up and running again soon enough and did another marathon a few weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jonathanr

The Bodega was jammed to the doors last year, we didn't even try to enter. Seating would be a priority for me :)
    We collected our medals last year at City Hall and went to the Sextant, it was insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The Bodega is not where it was held last year.

If I remember correctly, the bodega is a much bigger bar than the one where last years official party was held. I think it has a few floors and a big roof terrace (iif it's the one I am thinking about). If we get there early enough there shouldn't be a problem for seats. The offical after party doesn't start until 7pm, But I can be there from about 1pm...

menoscemo wrote: »
    But I can be there from about 1pm...

Doesn't it start at 9am? We should be in the pub by 11:45!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

robinph wrote: »
    Doesn't it start at 9am? We should be in the pub by 11:45!!! :D

We could be, but I was planning a shower etc after the race.
    Since I'm doing the second leg, technically i could be in the pub by 10.30am if I didn't bother hanging around waiting for you guys :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

If I remember correctly, the bodega is a much bigger bar than the one where last years official party was held. I think it has a few floors and a big roof terrace (iif it's the one I am thinking about). If we get there early enough there shouldn't be a problem for seats. The offical after party doesn't start until 7pm, But I can be there from about 1pm...

Yep - it was The Sextant last year and it was jammers.... Bodega will be better this year as its much bigger and room to spill out the front too.

Perfect weather conditions?? http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Did my first relay last year and loved it. Signed up for the half the second it went up this year and by February I was out after I knackered my back with bulging discs. I'm still not running, but I'm wondering if there's any point in even walking it? The starting area seems like it might be a disaster and I'm concerned I'd be just in the way.

AEDIC wrote: »

Yep - it was The Sextant last year and it was jammers.... Bodega will be better this year as its much bigger and room to spill out the front too.

Perfect weather conditions?? http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html

Smashin, Meno can you hold seats for everyone please? Nice one. ;-)

Looking forward to this now. Think I've put in a few hard miles. Though at this stage not doing much at all this week, have had a couple of lazy days and enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Hi folks, quick question - I'm unlikely to make it into Cork until after 6pm Sunday i.e. after registration finishes. Now my old man is doing the race too, so will he be able to collect my number? We have the same surname (obviously :D) and I registered using my parents Cork address. Or would I need to send him some sort of signed confirmation that he can collect my number and a copy of an ID? I had to do this for London before but i was thinking Cork mightn't be so strict, especially as the two numbers will be registered to the same address. I've had a look at the marathon site but couldn't see anything in relation to this, might be best if i pop them a mail
    Looking forward to this now. Think I've put in a few hard miles. Though at this stage not doing much at all this week, have had a couple of lazy days and enjoying it.

Good luck from a fellow CCFC fan ;) (my username is that of a certain Portugese footballer on the ccfcforum, dont visit it much any more mind)

• Advertisement

Good luck from a fellow CCFC fan ;) (my username is that of a certain Portugese footballer on the ccfcforum, dont visit it much any more mind)

As in followed by a no 7?

Didn't know you were doing this. Had a thread up there about this, rebelcorp was thinking about it, must PM him.

Advertisement