Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martinez Macklin March 17 MSG

Options
  • 11-01-2012 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

Should be a tear up- cant wait!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

lets hope he can do it....i can't see it happening but fair play to him....he has the balls to challenge anyone and anywhere

he should have got decision against sturm...maybe that was his chance and its passed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hope its a good fight ,would love to see Macklin win but I dont think he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Is this likely to be shown on sky sports or another station over here. I'm really looking forward to seeing an Irish boxer fight for a world title in MSG, I've never seen a big fight in the Garden before.

I reckon Sky will show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

Is the fight in the main arena or in the theatre? Was at a John Duddy fight in MSG a few Paddy Days ago and it was held in the theatre.

• Advertisement

It's in the Theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

yabadabado wrote: »
    It's in the Theatre

Pity that. Would've loved to see Macklin fight in the arena, but I suppose its down to ticket sales. Wasn't that impressed with the theatre, think there was more fights in the crowd than in the ring that night which didnt help.

Yeah would have loved for it to be in the arena but there is ice hockey on there that night.The Theatre is small as well only hold about 5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭sxt

Allthough Martinez would be a heavy favourite for this fight

Irishman, Irish crowd ,If Martinez underestimates his opponent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Martinez is going 37 and his last fight against Darren Barker exposed that his form isn't exactly stellar. You don't see many 37 year-olds getting better and despite his obvious pedigree his best performances are behind him. Macklin just needs to make himself harder to hit than he was against Strum and he has every chance of sending a serious shock-wave through the boxing establishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

is there anyne doing fight packages for this,or is it better cheaper to do it direct...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

Cheaper to do it yourself.I got flights and accomadation for €850 last week with ebookers and tickets are on sale through ticketmaster.I am getting $200 ticket,a mate of mine is sorting that out,there are some cheaper tickets but that ticket looks to be in a good section,the theatre is fairly small so there shouldnt be any bad seat and you wont be too far from the ring no matter what seat your're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭howa .223

850 dont sound too shabby. anyone know where too get tickets for the fight? in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Syferus wrote: »
    Martinez is going 37 and his last fight against Darren Barker exposed that his form isn't exactly stellar. You don't see many 37 year-olds getting better and despite his obvious pedigree his best performances are behind him. Macklin just needs to make himself harder to hit than he was against Strum and he has every chance of sending a serious shock-wave through the boxing establishment.

I'd argue Barker is a better boxer than Macklin. Martinez found Barker awkward to deal with. Macklin certainly seems to be far easier to hit. I don't see him suddenly being able to improve enough in this area. Yes Martinez is getting on, but he hasn't shown any real signs yet he's on the decline in my opinion. I think these things are gradual rather than immediate. So i'm afraid Macklin, barring a sudden and dramatic decline in Martinez's ability, is going to get knocked out in this fight:(

howa .223 wrote: »
    850 dont sound too shabby. anyone know where too get tickets for the fight? in ireland?
    €850 that's for 7 nights.
    Not sure where to buy them in Ireland,mate gets them for me.
    Could you use ticketmaster.com and pick them up at the box office the night of the fight,its an option on their website.

Any word on who Andy Lee will fight on the undercard?

Any word on who Andy Lee will fight on the undercard?

i head somewhere saul alvarez wanted lee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

peter quillin & giovanni lorenzo also want to face lee.

i'd rate quillin the best out of the lot of the middleweights....very smooth boxer with nice power

thats what i thought first but compare his history with lorenzo, lorenzo has far more experience and has fought better fighters, and bar 1, has only lost away in germany to sturm and sylvester (surprise surprise) and in france. lee generally does better with a reach advantage but i dont think he'll have much of that against either. they'l could well look for sb else.

• Advertisement

a loss in germany is equal to a win everywhere else

anyone else heading over?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Cant wait for this, has the potential to be one of the fights of the year. Really wish Macklin could do the job but I have my doubts.
    Where did you hear that Saul Alvarez wanted to Lee? I think he would destroy him to be honest...

dan rafael and others saying lee may not be fighting 17 mar but instead v sturm in germany in april (twitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

I agree Nacho. Although Martinez will be beaten soon, Macklin won't be the man to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

makl wrote: »
    dan rafael and others saying lee may not be fighting 17 mar but instead v sturm in germany in april (twitter)

Lee has been withdrawn from the Macklin-Martinez undercard apparently, so the negotiations must be serious. He'll probably have to knock Sturm out 3 or 4 times to get the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Hasn't been mentioned hear but Mayweather has also said he'll fight Sergio if he makes 150 - http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/01/mayweather-ill-fight-sergio-martinez-next-if-he-can-make-150lbs/#more-95655

Can't see it happening myself, but then it is the fight Sergio wants more than all others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Either Andy Lee is super confident or desperate. It must be the former. As it's not like he has no other option but to face Sturm.

• Advertisement

just looking at the undercard for this .its very poor,its a pity Lee is on it.

Advertisement