Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

WRT Flight Sim looking at what ppl are saying in this thread it really just seems it demolishes systems, will probably be living the 30fps dream with medium/high settings for my 2060 lol
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-pc-performance-thread.269496/

It's neat to have a game that pushes stuff so hard tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve a 2060 Super (plus an older CPU) and managing high settings on 1440p - closer to 60 performance too for the most part, although a bit stuttery for sure.

That said there are infrequent obvious and very substantial stutters which I assume are largely related to loading in the satellite imagery. Kinda feels like you pass a certain threshold and the game has to load the next section of the world (literally the world in this case).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I thought Harley's outfits were fine, some of her cooler designs.

Fair enough on the criticisms of Ivy. She was nude with a shirt thrown on from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

• 10/16 female employees sign a letter and the firm measures taken by the company amount to an hour long seminar.
    • Over the next two years they carefully listen to and learn from their employees so well that multiple signatories of said letter leave the company due to the lack of action.
    • In 2020 they are even more passionate than ever to continue developing their inclusive culture and stand up for all of their staff, so much so that after the letter publicly leaks they call an all-staff meeting where they discuss said letter for the first time.

Hopefully the house cleaning which happened at Ubisoft is a precedent for the future rather than an anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

pixelburp wrote: »
    By the standards of the comics - insofar as you can find a median across 80+ years of batman - the Rocksteady designs were still blatantly trashy T&A heavy. Wouldn't necessarily draw line between horny art design and a toxic work environment mind you, but I could also see how it might feed into an overall feel of the place too. Not like game studios as glorified frat houses is a new discovery but it's always disappointing when it appears with a studio you admired.

But they do, that's the problem, they tell a story that links the actual harassment with the fictional characters.
    That being said, I was happy with the reboot of Lara Croft character, I like is so much more now than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I actually agree with them on the issue. Overly sexualised outfits are generally a bit cringey tbh. Also the overarching issue in the complaints is a failure to do anything about sexual harassment complaints.

NOPE. More flesh please. Powergirl, Wonderwoman (Oldschool) and poison Ivy FTW :D

Parsnips wrote: »
    NOPE. More flesh please. Powergirl, Wonderwoman (Oldschool) and poison Ivy FTW :D

Thing is, most of the particularly sexual costumes age awfully. Eg the wonder woman costume in the first film, looked great and it made sense in terms of utility. Similar for the black widow costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

gizmo wrote: »
    • 10/16 female employees sign a letter and the firm measures taken by the company amount to an hour long seminar.
    • Over the next two years they carefully listen to and learn from their employees so well that multiple signatories of said letter leave the company due to the lack of action.
    • In 2020 they are even more passionate than ever to continue developing their inclusive culture and stand up for all of their staff, so much so that after the letter publicly leaks they call an all-staff meeting where they discuss said letter for the first time.

Hopefully the house cleaning which happened at Ubisoft is a precedent for the future rather than an anomaly.

I've friends who worked for Rocksteady in the past, and I'd never heard anything bad said about them. I genuinely / naively thought that when all these stories were coming up about Ubisoft and others, that we didn't have the same issues over here in this part of the world. Very disappointing to hear about this.

Cordell wrote: »
    No, they don't just work, you said it yourself, you had to buy the PSN version. PS1/2/3 discs will not work on PS4, and there is absolutely no (legit) way to make them work.

Erm, that's a pretty bizarre definition of not working.

You can't jam a commodore 64 cassette tape into a toaster and play that, that doesn't mean the toaster doesn't work.

As a software engineer you understand that it's the individual publisher's faults for the sate of some releases and not some inherent flaw with... computers?

All gaming systems are computers.

As a software engineer I recognise the benefit of the kind of walled gardens that Sony, Nintendo or Apple provide that ensure your software works flawlessly on the hardware you're selling it on before you can sell it.

PC gaming is a wild west where no developer can possibly test every combination of hardware and software out there, and nobody is bothering to check that they do either. Which means that, like you said, as a consumer you are completely at the mercy of how much the publishers decide to invest in quality as there is no safety net of a platform holder ensuring that things work, like you get on other platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Thankfully mine downloaded fine overnight, been flying over Dublin for the past hour. Immensely beautiful game - definitely the long-awaited next gen leap.

What’s it like flying over the Liffey ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But you do have standardised operating systems and APIs like Direct X and Vulcan doing all that and making sure stuff works. There's kind of no excuse if stuff doesn't these days. It's either your system is screwy or the developer was terrible. The only time I've ever had issues in the last ten years was no man's sky running like a slideshow and that was the developers. These days everything works out of the box, it's not the days of DOS 4GW and configuring the IRQ and DMA of your sound blaster to get sound working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

quokula wrote: »
    I've friends who worked for Rocksteady in the past, and I'd never heard anything bad said about them. I genuinely / naively thought that when all these stories were coming up about Ubisoft and others, that we didn't have the same issues over here in this part of the world. Very disappointing to hear about this.
    It can happen anywhere unfortunately, even the Dublin office of Riot was embroiled in the ****show that started to unfold a couple of years ago. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't wait to play my old games on my new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

J. Marston wrote: »
    I thought Harley's outfits were fine, some of her cooler designs.

Fair enough on the criticisms of Ivy. She was nude with a shirt thrown on from what I remember.

there are plenty of videos of arkham knight cutscenes where they swap the character models around that can highlight how ridiculous some of the female character movements can be

It's funny but also when it's so constant it a bit much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUWBoYwAgaE

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

All gaming systems are computers.

As a software engineer I recognise the benefit of the kind of walled gardens that Sony, Nintendo or Apple provide that ensure your software works flawlessly on the hardware you're selling it on before you can sell it.

PC gaming is a wild west where no developer can possibly test every combination of hardware and software out there, and nobody is bothering to check that they do either. Which means that, like you said, as a consumer you are completely at the mercy of how much the publishers decide to invest in quality as there is no safety net of a platform holder ensuring that things work, like you get on other platforms.

Except they don't ensure software works flawlessly on the hardware they are selling. Have you heard about the condition Deadly Premonition 2 was/is in when released on Switch, the general poor level of performance in the game Control on the base current generation consoles. That multiplayer did not work on the Chief Collection on Xbox One for many many months after release. Drive Club at launch on PS4. How about Assassins Creed Unity on everything it was released on?

Yes the PC is the hardware wild west and your right no one can check every possible combination, the only organization with potential to do is Microsoft but at that case your back to a closed garden environment and the negatives far out weigh the cons., no one would want that.

My general rule of thumb with PC gaming is just keep an eye on Window updates and update my GPU drivers regularly (once a month roughly). That's isn't a lot of effort, you eventually have to get the Windows updates anyway and you would need to do so even if your not using the PC for gaming. GPU drivers are about 500 MB, less than 5 minute process to download and install them. Likely quicker than system updates on consoles. In terms of patching games its now automatically handle but the distribution platforms so its much easier than it use to be.

I also keep an eye on the PC Gaming wiki if I ran into any issues with a particular game, it pretty much lists all PC games and known bugs and fixes for them.

I have run into significant issues this year, with my PC shutting down while gaming, but that was entirely my own fault. I bought a GPU that was slightly too much for my PSU to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    there are plenty of videos of arkham knight cutscenes where they swap the character models around that can highlight how ridiculous some of the female character movements can be

The arse on Bats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

J. Marston wrote: »

But wouldn't one who is literally one with nature, be a naturist? At least they gave her a shirt and some weed underwear. T&A sells, i'm 37 and it still sells to me. It sells in films, movies, music, print... It's still everywhere. Look at fashion, look at what it's causing 13+ year olds to wear. Want to remove the T&A obsession? You need to remove fashion imo, which will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Stupid sexy batman.

• Advertisement

Erm, that's a pretty bizarre definition of not working.

You can't jam a commodore 64 cassette tape into a toaster and play that, that doesn't mean the toaster doesn't work.

IDK, seems just as reasonable as expecting a 23 years old game to just run on today's systems.

IDK, seems just as reasonable as expecting a 23 years old game to just run on today's systems.

But they will run on today's systems.

On PC :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But they will run on today's systems.

On PC :pac:

Not all of them, some won't, some need virtualization or emulation, but indeed you have a good chance to play anything released for PC from the beginning of time, which is not the case with consoles.

If it's unreasonable to expect it to work then they shouldn't still be advertising and selling it.

It's not a 23 year old game by the way, the version on steam was updated, just like the version on PSN. Except that one works reliably.

If it's unreasonable to expect it to work then they shouldn't still be advertising and selling it.
    You are right, they shouldn't.
    It's not a 23 year old game by the way, the version on steam was updated, just like the version on PSN. Except that one works reliably.

I assumed it was the old one, now I see it's suppose to work on current gen PC and Windows. Well, that's too bad then, but then again, it's also good that PC have the flexibility to get games that are not sold exclusively through a single distributor, even if it means that occasionally you get the odd dud :)

Not all of them, some won't, some need virtualization or emulation, but indeed you have a good chance to play anything released for PC from the beginning of time, which is not the case with consoles.

That's blatantly untrue.

100% of PS4 games from the beginning of time work on PS4. (you'll probably retort that there may be some small number of online-only multiplayer games that have had their servers shut down, but that applies to PC games too of course)

100% of Gamecube games from the beginning of time work on Gamecube.

100% of Megadrive games from the beginning of time work on Megadrive.

Nowhere near 100% of PC games will work on any given PC.

Your false equivalence argument of pretending that it is reasonable to expect console games to work on entirely different consoles to the ones they were released for is nonsensical whattaboutery.

The latest big PC release right now, Microsoft Flight Simulator, has a 2.5 rating on the Xbox store and a "mixed" rating on steam at the moment, entirely due to the large numbers of people who can't even get a modern game to run on modern PCs that meet the game's minimum requirements without crashing, balancing out the reviews of people who can get in to what by all accounts is a great sim when it actually works.

Gross exaggeration there. As long as there's nothing wrong with your system greater than 99% of PC games will run on a PC. Plenty of ways to get old games with issues working as well with the likes of DOS Box and fan communities and publishers like GOG put a lot of great work into ensuring their catalogue will work on current PCs. Games with issues are the exception not the rule as long as your PC is up to snuff.

And I think you'll find most of the PC negative reviews of Flight Sim are people not hitting those minimum specs. The game is transferring around a huge amount of data. Slow outdated mechanical drives and RAM are still being used by many and have been carried through multiple budget PC builds as so far they have served their purpose but they just don't cut it with a cutting edge game like flight sim.

You are right, they shouldn't.

I assumed it was the old one, now I see it's suppose to work on current gen PC and Windows. Well, that's too bad then, but then again, it's also good that PC have the flexibility to get games that are not sold exclusively through a single distributor, even if it means that occasionally you get the odd dud :)

Yeah I'm not talking about digging out an old CD ROM of King's Quest.

I'm talking about as a consumer, right now, who owns a middle of the road gaming PC, that is both a year newer than my PS4 Pro and cost more than twice the price, I should be able to buy something that is on sale on one of the major stores today, with listed specs that my PC meets, and have at least a >95% chance of it working without me having to waste the free gaming time I have looking at forum threads and FAQs, fiddling with drivers and config files and troubleshooting.

And when I say work, I mean that it doesn't crash, it doesn't frequently lock up for multiple seconds at a time, all the things that should get rendered on screen do get rendered, inputs work and the sound plays. Even if it runs at 720p at 25FPS, I can live with that and accept it because I didn't spend €3k on a gaming rig.

But the success rate for things working at the most basic level on PC is frequently way below that unfortunately in my experience. And there's no shortage of other people suffering the same issues when you look at steam review pages etc so I am far from alone in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Penn wrote: »
    On an unrelated note, I'm upgrading my PC to play games. Where's the best site to download nude mods?
    Don't bother with the upgrade, all you need to do is disc swap Spice Girls Wannabe CD while playing Tomb Raider on the PS1. My friends cousin swears it works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

That's blatantly untrue.

100% of PS4 games from the beginning of time work on PS4. (you'll probably retort that there may be some small number of online-only multiplayer games that have had their servers shut down, but that applies to PC games too of course)

100% of Gamecube games from the beginning of time work on Gamecube.

100% of Megadrive games from the beginning of time work on Megadrive.

Your false equivalence argument of pretending that it is reasonable to expect console games to work on entirely different consoles to the ones they were released for is nonsensical whattaboutery.

The latest big PC release right now, Microsoft Flight Simulator, has a 2.5 rating on the Xbox store and a "mixed" rating on steam at the moment, entirely due to the large numbers of people who can't even get a modern game to run on modern PCs that meet the game's minimum requirements without crashing, balancing out the reviews of people who can get in to what by all accounts is a great sim when it actually works.

Microsoft Flight Simulator does seem to have issues but user reviews do not count for much at release. Its the same for most games, they majority of people who have a working game are too busy playing it to be posting comments and with human nature being what it is people have a tendency not to post up positive comments as much as negative comments. Many of the issues people will be posting about will be issues on their side, playing on under spec machines. While others will give a game a 1 star rating if it doesn't have Ultra widescreen support or uses a form of DRM they dislike, regardless of how good or bad a game is. I'm sure there is issues with this game but given the rather cutting edge nature of it from a technological point of view I would cut it some leeway for a while. I don't want to excuse a game for being buggy but buggy games at release are just as common on console as I've already pointed out. Hopefully the issues with Flight Simulator will be patched in the coming days and weeks.

But realistically speaking if your not running it on a SSD I think you can expect very long load times as standard.

Also I don't think updating a GPU driver is that big an ask, nor is it fiddly. Go to the website download it, double click on it and click next 2-3 times and that's it. GPU drivers are released once a month and normally have optimizations for the latest released games, its just good practice to update them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement