Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For a presumed €60 and no meaningful future discounts for a 2013 game, a resounding no from me.

It's already there on the e-store and yup, €60 for as you say, a 2013 game with no appreciable upgrades as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's already there on the e-store and yup, €60 for as you say, a 2013 game with no appreciable upgrades as far as I can see.

I’d really enjoy the chance to play it since it is supposedly an amazing game. But I wouldn’t pay more than €30 for it at release, and given it’s a first party game, the best you’d get it for in a sale is €40.

They need to cop on with their pricing for ports because it’s ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Same; I've heard so much good press over the Pikmin games and would love to give 'em a whirl but there's simply no way I'm paying €60 bucks for something inherently last generation. Not even a "remaster" contemporaneous to other games of the era but a quick re-boxing. Nintendo truly gets away with the kind of pricing other companies are regularly (rightly) pilloried for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I would have given it a go for 30 quid, maybe 35, but at 60 they can **** off. Maybe we will get lucky and they will put it in their next sale for the low low price of 54.99

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it's not just a basic port. Has quality of life features and new controls and a new epilogue and ending.

Honestly you might have a point if you played it already on WiiU but if you haven't it's one of the best games you can play and is a brand new experience for most people.

Nintendo games almost always hold their price. It's just how they sell their games unlike other companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭recyclops

played pikmin 1 and 2 over the last month, beautiful games. never got round to three when i had a wiiU :(

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well it's not just a basic port. Has quality of life features and new controls and a new epilogue and ending.

Honestly you might have a point if you played it already on WiiU but if you haven't it's one of the best games you can play and is a brand new experience for most people.

Nintendo games almost always hold their price. It's just how they sell their games unlike other companies.

And they're entitled to sell their games however they wish :) however given the value proposition on offer here, €60 for a 7 year old game with minimal improvements feels cheeky. You're obviously a fan 'cos you brought it up; But i look at this and - say - the Link's Awakening remaster, and the two don't match for price points. Nintendo's pricing policy could do with a little scaling IMO as their games are not of a universal level, it's just a constant artificial valuation. Pikmin 3 does not strike as a game trying to recoup major development costs here.

In any case, I'll keep an eye out for it on Sale ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I guess I just don't get people putting a price on games like this. I feel Pikmin 3 is up with the best triple A games that anyone will pick up this year and it didn't sell well on WiiU due to the audience size so for most people this is a brand new game. It's not a straight port either, the costs to recoup from the QA process of course but it takes resources converting a game like this from power PC based architecture.

Think it's a shame that people will let this experience pass them by due to pricing. It should be based on how much you will enjoy the game.

Although it makes more sense than people putting value on a game based on length.

They are hard games too!

I really enjoyed Pikmin 3 on Wii U up until a certain point. It went from enjoyable to insanely hard out of nowhere from what I remember.
    The difficulty spike stopped me playing and never got back into it. I'd have to replay it at this stage if I were to ever get back into it.

I guess I just don't get people putting a price on games like this. I feel Pikmin 3 is up with the best triple A games that anyone will pick up this year and it didn't sell well on WiiU due to the audience size so for most people this is a brand new game. It's not a straight port either, the costs to recoup from the QA process of course but it takes resources converting a game like this from power PC based architecture.

Think it's a shame that people will let this experience pass them by due to pricing. It should be based on how much you will enjoy the game.

Although it makes more sense than people putting value on a game based on length.

It's quite simple (for me) really: I only have so much disposable income so if I buy a video game of any stripe, then I want to be sure that if I drop €60, it'll be worth the money spent given my own personal, nebulous sense of value. I could buy 6 small indie titles that I'd get just as much enjoyment from, without breaking the bank or risking a feeling of money wasted.

It's totally an emotional decision and happily own it - but also think Nintendo are taking plays from the Apple playbook and inflating their products' value out of brand desirability. Like I said, it feels cheeky but I get what they're doing all the same.

• Advertisement

They are hard games too!

I really enjoyed Pikmin 3 on Wii U up until a certain point. It went from enjoyable to insanely hard out of nowhere from what I remember.
    The difficulty spike stopped me playing and never got back into it. I'd have to replay it at this stage if I were to ever get back into it.

Some Pikmin 2 stages were insane as well. Surviving the randomly generated dungeons with enough pikmin to stand a chance against some of the optional bosses was quite the challenge.

And while the time limit people complained about in Pikmin 1 was never an issue with me, the final boss took a few attempts to take down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nintendo are masters in making money from old rope. Not naive enough to pay full price for their Malibu Stacy with a new hat remakes.
    The speculated Metroid Prime and Mario Trilogies will be better value but Nintendo's reliance on remakes for the Switch really confuses me especially when their studios stopped working on 3DS games years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

That’s the thing, if it was €60 for all 3 then I’d have no issue with that.

The crash bandicoot trilogy got fully remastered and retailed for €40.

Now if the rumoured Mario trilogy is true I’d gladly pay €60 for it.

I just see no value in charging €60 for a 7 year old game on its own. It seems like daylight robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

That’s the thing, if it was €60 for all 3 then I’d have no issue with that.

The crash bandicoot trilogy got fully remastered and retailed for €40.

Now if the rumoured Mario trilogy is true I’d gladly pay €60 for it.

I just see no value in charging €60 for a 7 year old game on its own. It seems like daylight robbery.

That's just it. They are well within their rights to sell it for whatever price they want just as I am well within my rights to think it is a rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That could be very very interesting!

I was hoping against all hope they were working on a follow up to Urban Chaos: Riot Response.

Arkham Knight wasn't a great game and if this is another game with Arkham combat I'll probably miss it unless it buck the trends a lot like the original Arkham Asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    That could be very very interesting!

A coop Batman......

Yes actually that would be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

From Kinda Funny Games Daily, via WCCFtech;
    Sony Has Reportedly Locked PS5 Timed Exclusivity for Some Huge and Widely Known Multiplats, Imran Khan Says; People “Will Be Shocked”

Pinch of salt and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Going for Supes right away? Walk before you can run, Suicide Squad!

I like the idea of killing one of the Justice League, someone outside the trinity and expendable like Cyborg, Flash or Aquaman prompting one of the big 3 to go rogue on the Suicide Squad.

• Advertisement

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Timed exclusivity is just complete horse****. I'll just wait, thank you.

So basically "The Boys" in gaming form? Ha. I presume Suicide Squad predates the Boys' comic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭recyclops

Mr Crispy wrote: »

unless its grand theft auto it wont matter really

failed fairly bad on tomb raider for MS

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd much rather Sony put their efforts into improving PS Now rather than buying up timed exclusivity or exclusive DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So the rumours were true - "Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League"?
    Timed exclusivity is just complete horse****. I'll just wait, thank you.
    Yep, and according to your man, Sony are going all in on it. :rolleyes:
    recyclops wrote: »
    unless its grand theft auto it wont matter really

failed fairly bad on tomb raider for MS
    GTA VI, next FF, or Starfield are some of the early rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

UFC 4 is on EA Access Trial now. You can search in the store for UFC 4 and you should see a download button. If you like what you play, you can download UFC 3 through ea Access and buy UFC 4 from the main menu for a 20% discount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really think Rocksteady made big mistakes in the directions they brought the Arkham games down - each game in the series was IMO considerably less interesting than the last. Hope they’ve taken the time to do something very different here: there’s obviously a bunch of great artists and developers there, so let’s hope the sideways step to another DC series is the refresh they needed to get away from the extremely tired open world antics of Arkham Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

More Crash 4. Looks gorgeous...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pixelburp wrote: »
    So basically "The Boys" in gaming form? Ha. I presume Suicide Squad predates the Boys' comic

By nearly 50 years or 20 years for the modern version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Though these days they seem to reboot the Suicide Squad every few months.

Interested to see how it works. Will we be changing between characters when we want or will it be mission based.

I'm guessing we'll have Harley, Deadshot and Boomerang anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement