Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hmmmmmm, do not like.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

marcbrophy wrote: »
    You're right, it does read as: The performance mode is 4k OR 60FPS.

Bit shít really :(

If it was 4K at 60FPS they definitely would have said it straight out.

I'd say we'll see a lot of games at 30FPS again this generation but bumping the resolution up.

I'm playing away at 1440P on PC at the moment and getting 60+FPS in all the games I've tried on mostly max settings.

I fully believe 1440P is the sweet spot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zero ambiguity in that tweet tbh as I read it - the wording would be much weirder if it was saying there were separate 60FPS and 4K modes. They’d surely say something like ‘4K Quality Mode’ if they were separating them out.

What I do take from it (given it’s optional) is that there’ll obviously be some sort of graphical compromise needed to get to 60 FPS at 4K - you either go full fidelity / high settings or 60 FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Zero ambiguity in that tweet tbh as I read it - the wording would be much weirder if it was saying there were separate 60FPS and 4K modes. They’d surely say something like ‘4K Quality Mode’ if they were separating them out.

What I do take from it (given it’s optional) is that there’ll obviously be some sort of graphical compromise needed to get to 60 FPS at 4K - you either go full fidelity / high settings or 60 FPS.

That’s how I read it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/RocketLeague/status/1285620634865872898?s=19

Going to be a Epic Store exclusive on PC when it goes FTP, if you have it on your steam library you can play it without issues but the free version won't be on steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Surely everyone has that game by now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Take two are hungry c*nts. Shocked! Shocked i tell you you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Take two are hungry c*nts. Shocked! Shocked i tell you you!
    Not disagreeing but I'm curious as to whether folk would see the cross-gen upgrade as being worth the extra tenner or whether they feel it should be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gizmo wrote: »
    Not disagreeing but I'm curious as to whether folk would see the cross-gen upgrade as being worth the extra tenner or whether they feel it should be free.

I imagine the first wave of cross gen games will be so bare bones of an improvement on next gen I wouldn't be happy paying the extra tenner for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The cross gen upgrade is a few toggle switches on a PC version turned to on or high. Don't see how that's worth an extra tenner.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The cross gen upgrade is a few toggle switches on a PC version turned to on or high. Don't see how that's worth an extra tenner.
    Strictly technically speaking? Absolutely disagree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Strictly technically speaking? Absolutely disagree.

It kind of is though. I mean there's a lot more that goes into it to get it running on a next gen system but it amounts to the same amount of optimisation and ceritification required for the PS4 game. Where are they getting the extra tenner from? From their own greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It kind of is though. I mean there's a lot more that goes into it to get it running on a next gen system but it amounts to the same amount of optimisation and ceritification required for the PS4 game. Where are they getting the extra tenner from? From their own greed.

Yeah, even if it only cost them the equivalent of an extra €1, they'd round it up to €10

Paying for a next gen upgrade is akin to paying for a PS4 Pro or 1X upgrade. I paid for the nicer graphics when I bought the console so they can **** off if they think they are charging more for the game.

Also the reality is, the world is heading into a recession. Sales are going to be low so incentives to go for newer hardware are needed.

I'd be willing to pay 10 quid more for games from now on if MTXs, lootboxes and on-disc DLC were banned from the industry. Until then there is no chance.

Markitron wrote: »
    I'd be willing to pay 10 quid more for games from now on if MTXs, lootboxes and on-disc DLC were banned from the industry. Until then there is no chance.

We are talking about Take-Two....

Oh yea, there is zero chance of this happening with them. They would remove the basketball from NBA2K if they thought they could sell it back to the player for a couple of quid

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CEO has it in his contract to get a bonus every time an MTX is sold, surprised they haven't switched to a Mobile only company.

• Advertisement

It's the work required to get the game up and running on the new platform and then shipped that I was talking about though, that's what's most definitely not just toggling some options. The net result may in fact be slightly shinier graphics or a more stable frame rate but my question wasn't whether people find these improvements to be worth the extra money, it was whether getting the game for both platforms itself is worth the extra money. Or, to be more precise, whether people feel it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Phantom Doctrine is getting a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Avowed - just been announced by Obsidian, high fantasy FPS.

Really enjoyed the outer worlds, looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

Also the reality is, the world is heading into a recession. Sales are going to be low so incentives to go for newer hardware are needed.

Games tend to do well in recessions though. Because a typical game that you might get a dozen nights of entertainment out of, will cost less than one typical night out, or an equivalent number of hours engaging in most other hobbies.

It's escalating costs that have always been the problem in the games industry, as ever bigger teams spend ever more time making ever more complex games, while prices have effectively gotten cheaper when you account for inflation.

Microtransactions and special editions have acted as a cushion against this in recent years, effectively subsidising the price for everyone else, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a rise in RRP with the next generation of consoles.

quokula wrote: »
    Games tend to do well in recessions though. Because a typical game that you might get a dozen nights of entertainment out of, will cost less than one typical night out, or an equivalent number of hours engaging in most other hobbies.

It's escalating costs that have always been the problem in the games industry, as ever bigger teams spend ever more time making ever more complex games, while prices have effectively gotten cheaper when you account for inflation.

Microtransactions and special editions have acted as a cushion against this in recent years, effectively subsidising the price for everyone else, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a rise in RRP with the next generation of consoles.

Yea the Wii/PS3/360 mostly existed in a global recession and sold the guts of 300m between them. Wii aside they had decent attach rates as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Looks like G4Tv is coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Deadnaming. You learn something new every day... Christ on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What's the context of it? TLOU2 had that too and didn't have to apologise or remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

J. Marston wrote: »
    What's the context of it? TLOU2 had that too and didn't have to apologise or remove it.

Apparently despite having overt pro trans dialogue, there were also portions were characters "deadnamed", which I'd never heard of before but refers to using a trans persons "old" name to demean or other. Fans complained and Swery apologised, said it wasn't his intention and an honest mistake, so would patch the offending lines out of the game. Guess some on Twitter are still upset? (cos it's Twitter so bound to be), and Swery is confused. It's not really news beyond "writers balls up, tweaks script after realising, Twitter continues to be shít".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement