Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Reality Check people: Every game ever made is cut and the scope narrowed as a game goes through production due to reality setting in, deadlines and budget. Massive plans for a game getting cut is the rule not the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Why is that image in english?

So I can read it. Very thoughtful of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Reality Check people: Every game ever made is cut and the scope narrowed as a game goes through production due to reality setting in, deadlines and budget. Massive plans for a game getting cut is the rule not the exception.

Yeah I believe Pong was originally planned to be a battle royale. But who'd play something like that. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The original idea for DD looked way better. There's areas in the game where you can practically feel the cut content. Still one of my favorites but CAPCOM's treatment of the series has been bad. The F2P title never saw western release and apparently not that great, either. It's another gem like Outbreak that Capcom fails to follow through with. We'll probably get remakes of RE4 before we ever get a fully realised DD or PC ported Outbreak.
    Doesn't mean we have to be happy about it. It wasn't destined to lose the the multi-dimension design. I'd gladly accept cutting the pawn trading system and some other elements for that.

In news YanDev got hacked and the whole game's source is leaked. Not that anyone can or would want to do anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Xenji wrote: »
    I think Itsuno was in the belief that there was always going to be a sequel given Capcoms love of a series and being the good company man did not put up much of a fight.

Itsuno said he was genuinely considering leaving around that time

Massive plans getting cut is not the rule, every game has cuts and nobody ever gets to do everything they wanted, that much is true but there's a big difference between having half your content cut and not getting to implement a few extras. You cant say Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy 15 have the same level of cut content or that the content is cut for the same reason and having it cut because someone wanted to channel funding to games that turned out rubbish by outsourced developers over someone as loyal as Itsuno is especially egregious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Massive plans getting cut is not the rule, every game has cuts and nobody ever gets to do everything they wanted, that much is true but there's a big difference between having half your content cut and not getting to implement a few extras. You cant say Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy 15 have the same level of cut content or that the content is cut for the same reason and having it cut because someone wanted to channel funding to games that turned out rubbish by outsourced developers over someone as loyal as Itsuno is especially egregious.

Yea some games get away with cut content if they are managed properly. As much as I enjoyed MGSV it is quite clear the development was a ****show judging from the massive holes in the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Somewhat expected, but Microsoft has now confirmed that xCloud support is coming to Gamepass Ultimate, allowing you to stream 100s of games to your phone.

See here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I do wonder which is more de-motivating for a developer: not having enough time / resources to build all features, or having to scrap an entire featureset completely and changing tack? The latter doesn't get revealed publicly that often, but I've been surprised how many post-mortems consist of that moment when they had to go back to Square 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sieghardt wrote: »

It happens all the time though, it's part of business. Much more than you'd expect. And funny you should mention Final Fantasy because the same happened to Xenogears when the team and budget was gutted to get FF7 out the door.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I do wonder which is more de-motivating for a developer: not having enough time / resources to build all features, or having to scrap an entire featureset completely and changing tack? The latter doesn't get revealed publicly that often, but I've been surprised how many post-mortems consist of that moment when they had to go back to Square 1.

There's probably as many games that get prototyped and put into a development cycle than cancelled as games that get released. Every developer in the industry has worked on a project like that. Usually the projects get cancelled for a good reason and the cases like Prey 2 for instance wher eit's down to corporate greed or incompetence are the exception.

Also having features cut isn't always a bad thing. It kind of works like an editor on a film, you might feel disheartened by changes and cuts to a game but often times those cuts help focus the project and make it better. The game I worked on I had to cut an entire feature I worked hard on and was really proud. Had loads of arguments with the lead manager but in the end I agreed with him that it made the game too hard for the audience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

More Xbox news, with the One X and the SAD edition ceased manufacturing.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1283823486725758976

One S will continue being produced. Wonder if they'll drop the price further when the next gen launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

I have a spare key to the alpha for this on xbox, first person to respond asking gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CatInABox wrote: »
    More Xbox news, with the One X and the SAD edition ceased manufacturing.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1283823486725758976

One S will continue being produced. Wonder if they'll drop the price further when the next gen launches.

Is the Xbox One X one of the most pointless consoles ever?
    As bad as the WiiU was recieved its game catalogue has basically been a large chunk of the Switch's first party games.
    The One X was the most powerful console on the market but by the time good games could come for it you could play them on PC with gamepass anyway.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is the Xbox One X one of the most pointless consoles ever?
    As bad as the WiiU was recieved its game catalogue has basically been a large chunk of the Switch's first party games.
    The One X was the most powerful console on the market but by the time good games could come for it you could play them on PC with gamepass anyway.

Well it ran games better than any other console and lots of backwards compatible games got X updates.

Honestly the PS4 isn't far off being pointless. It has a few exclusives but it could be argued only about half of those are worth playing and it's far less exclusives than you'd expect on another console. It seems good relative to the XBox but compared to last gen, or hell the WiiU which was around for 18 months, the PS4 exclusive line up is anemic (and timed exclusives don't count).

Both consoles are still cheaper than a PC. Which is a big point in their favour for people even if over time that's reduced due to subscriptions and higher priced games.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

A lot of people also don't want the headaches that come with pc gaming like troubleshooting games that won't run for whatever reason, and just want a box that's pretty much plug and play. Third party titles looking and playing best on the one x plus the few exclusives it has, definitely doesn't make it pointless. It's also good for the consumer to have a rival to playstation, otherwise we wouldn't get free games monthly and have great services like gamepass at such an affordable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭quokula

Well it ran games better than any other console and lots of backwards compatible games got X updates.

Honestly the PS4 isn't far off being pointless. It has a few exclusives but it could be argued only about half of those are worth playing and it's far less exclusives than you'd expect on another console. It seems good relative to the XBox but compared to last gen, or hell the WiiU which was around for 18 months, the PS4 exclusive line up is anemic (and timed exclusives don't count).

Both consoles are still cheaper than a PC. Which is a big point in their favour for people even if over time that's reduced due to subscriptions and higher priced games.

I honestly don't know how anyone could be into games and think the PS4 is pointless.

You'd have to have pretty narrow interests to not enjoy any of Uncharted, Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus, Last Guardian, Erica, Spiderman, God of War, Gran Turismo, the Yakuza series and spin offs, Persona, Horizon, Final Fantasy, MGS or Bloodborne and that's just off the top of my head.

I know if you buy significantly more expensive PC hardware and wait 2 or 3 years you do get to play ports of some of the above games. But I'd rather stick with a console and play with the exact controller and hardware the developers created the game and balanced it for, without worrying about technical problems and graphics settings.

People that don't have a PC overblown the technical difficulties of PC gaming. It's been years since Windows vista.

As for PlayStation 4 exclusives I'm not saying they are all bad there's just so few of them in comparison to previous generations. A lot of the games you name check are multi platform. The PS4 just seems a bit unessential unlike previous consoles. It's just a box that plays pretty much the same games as the other platforms. I mean if you name all the exclusives for PS4 you'd get a less than most years of the PS2s or even say the gamecubes life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

quokula wrote: »
    You'd have to have pretty narrow interests to not enjoy any of
    If all you like are big playstation blockbusters then that's the definition of narrow interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

I work at a PC all day, last i want to do is game on one too, i rather the comfort that comes with console gaming.

Coming from someone that has a Xbox one X and a PS4, I recently just moved to Xbox exclusively.

PS4 exclusives are fine but they're few and far apart and can take an entire Gen of a console to release, last of us two for example last of us is a PS3 game not a PS4 game and it's sequel just came out months before PS5 release, I'm all for exclusives and all but waiting years for a 20-30 hour game doesn't motivate me as it once did.

Then you have the incentives to go to a particular platform, I was paying for games on both platforms for years, seeing how both markets handle game prices, redeemable keys and sales and customer service. Sony began banning stores from selling game codes thus removing online stores were you could get a bargain game code and they also didn't sell their service cards like wallet topups etc to retailers so the retailers could not reduce the price of said cards after this change also.

You can find cheap xbox live online or you can subscribe to services like gamepass and gamepass ultimate which will also include subscription to xcloud from September onwards, which means you get gold, gamepass and xcloud for cheaper than most netflix subscriptions which is okay with me, not to mention first party titles day 1 and also access to gamepass pc also if i choose to utilize that.

It's all about value for money and i just find the xbox eco system better value now.

Just my 5c worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

Have a Pro and Xbox one X, but by far the most used console for me this generation has been the PS4, and will be choosing a PS5 over the series X. I really think Sony knocked it out of the park with some of the exclusives, God of War, Persona, Bloodborne and Spider-Man being my favourites.

Considering there’ll be no first party exclusives for the series x for a couple of years I’m happy to stick with what I have.

I do think Microsoft have done extremely well with gamepass though so itll be interesting to see how that evolves over the next generation.

• Advertisement

If all you like are big playstation blockbusters then that's the definition of narrow interests.

So liking Bloodborne, The Last of Us Part 2, Spider-man and The Last Guardian means you have narrow interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

All big platforms have 90% of the same content, so choosing one on the strength of the titles exclusive to it doesn’t mean that’s the only thing you’re interested in using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Markitron wrote: »
    So liking Bloodborne, The Last of Us Part 2, Spider-man and The Last Guardian means you have narrow interests?

None of them have prepubescent anime girls with big tits...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Im just sitting here wondering why quokola tried to use Metal Gear Solid as a reason to buy the PS4 :confused:

As it stands, in a Xbone vs PS4 contest, the PS4 does come out on top. But in a Xbone vs PS4 vs PC royal rumble, its PC by a large margin.....not even a contest.

McFly85 wrote: »
    I really think Sony knocked it out of the park with some of the exclusives

Sony have managed to put out quite a few good titles. However the problem is only Sony are making the exclusives now. I mean people bemoaned Nintendo on their failing consoles where it's only Nintendo making the exclusives but this has now happened on the playstation except there's even less exclusives because the costs and development time have risen so much.

It's going to be the norm going forward but it just makes each platform far less essential whereas before I'd own all the consoles and feel they were all worth the investment. I kind of feel my investment in the PS4 is a waste of money (and would with the XBox One except it was nice and cheap).

PC stands apart with it's ease of development as a place where you see a lot of exciting stuff in the indie space which inevitably make their way to console. And the best backwards compatibility

In a way I'm more bemoaning the state of console exclusives rather than the PS4.

McFly85 wrote: »
    All big platforms have 90% of the same content, so choosing one on the strength of the titles exclusive to it doesn’t mean that’s the only thing you’re interested in using it for.

Yea I agree but that's not really the point I was responding to though
    None of them have prepubescent anime girls with big tits...

I actually lol'd at that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

SharpCoder wrote: »
    Sony began banning stores from selling game codes thus removing online stores were you could get a bargain game code and they also didn't sell their service cards like wallet topups etc to retailers so the retailers could not reduce the price of said cards after this change also.

FYI

https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1784-buy-key-playstation-playstation-network-card-50e-ireland/

Being using these for a few years, can use the credit for games or plus subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Im just sitting here wondering why quokola tried to use Metal Gear Solid as a reason to buy the PS4 :confused:

As it stands, in a Xbone vs PS4 contest, the PS4 does come out on top. But in a Xbone vs PS4 vs PC royal rumble, its PC by a large margin.....not even a contest.

I used to be a PC gamer and found myself slowly just play Playstation, got sick of constant upgrades hardware and still not being able to play on High. I envy Xbox Gamepass so much but love the PS too much to switch now. The exclusives are just a cherry on top. One thing I notice between the platforms when it comes to discussing games
    Xbox player - "This game is great...
    PS Player - "This game is great....
    PC player - " Ugh, this game only runs at 200 FPS, virtually unplayable....

Not saying all pc gamers are like that but how a game runs comes up quite a lot and even though PC will always run a game better than console, I enjoy not caring about how a game runs anymore but that just me, a 30fps enjoying simp.

The whole PC gamers complaining about game performance was more to do with the awful ports PC was getting during the 360 and PS3 time. There was so many broken ports and there was good reason to complain.

Since the consoles have moved to more PC like architecture ports have been almost uniformly excellent. There's the odd exception like Nier Automata but again PC gamers have a right to complain there were a 60 FPS console game somehow has framepacing issues on more powerful hardware that the developer never fixed and had to be fixed by the community.

And last night I beat Halo 3 at 60 FPS on the PC and jumped straight into Last of Us 2 and 30 FPS is disgusting. However at least games on console are hitting a consistent 30 FPS which is a lot more ideal than dodgy frame pacing and drops below 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Couldn't go back to PS4 after playing PC for years. The horrible resolution, 30fps and the playstation controller.

Looking forward to the next gen though, 60fps all around hopefully and PS5 controller looks chunkier

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement