Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,970 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kilboor wrote: »
    Looking forward to the next gen though, 60fps all around hopefully

The great lie of every console generation. Digital Foundry already said most games are targeting 30 FPS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The great lie of every console generation. Digital Foundry already said most games are targeting 30 FPS

Shame, I almost envy people who can ignore low fps. I can't unfortunately :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

if that's the case I'm going back to PC...I already miss it terribly and watching dayz videos on youtube is making me homesick for PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,970 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You do get used to it after about a half hour but jumping from 60 to 30 last night.... I actually felt ill when I rotated the camera too much. I've a friend with a high refresh monitor and he can't handle 30 fps anymore at all and even gives out to me for using a 60 fps monitor.... my rig struggles to get 60 fps sometimes at 1440p so doubt it would help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Blazer wrote: »
    if that's the case I'm going back to PC...I already miss it terribly and watching dayz videos on youtube is making me homesick for PC.

tbf the report stated it was for the current launch titles, some are still apparently running at 60fps such as Resident Evil and Gran Turismo.

Also to note, it seems that the 30fps games are running at 4k

• Advertisement

True. I have heard most games will have performance mode to run them at 1080p or 1440p at 60 fps.

My bad for forgetting that.

Not so bad then actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Recently upgraded my PC monitor from a 1080p/144hz one to a 1440p/144hz one. I hooked the new and old ones up for a dual display setup, but only had one DisplayPort cable handy so set the old one to a standard HDMI slot and had it limited to 60hz as a result. Very noticeable difference - dragging the mouse across felt like dragging it through some some sort of weird jelly-like substance :pac:

At the same time, I think my brain has long since adapted to TV vs monitors. Since I watch so much film / TV on, well, a TV I think I’ve really just grown completely accustomed to 30FPS unless the game in questions runs bad. If there’s no PC option, zero issue going with PS4 or Switch - barely noticed that TLOU2 was 30FPS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,952 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mostly use Switch these days as it's just too damn handy for those hour sessions here and there so TBH the whole 30/60fps debate goes way over my head. Like I can tell the difference between the two for sure, but it doesn't bother me or effect my enjoyment. To each their own but the whole subject gets a bit of a shoulder shrug.

Digital Foundry has video up in relation to Halo 3 port

Stating the best port yet for the MCC collection

More aimed @Retro here

I know it's good. I beat it last night. Plays like a dream and forgot how much fun it was.... until the flood arrive. Then it's one of the worst FPS games ever. But until then it's all gravy.

Great to hear they fixed Reach's audio as well.

• Advertisement

The ending to Halo 3 is awesome though!

The ending to Halo 3 is awesome though!

If you mean the warthog run, yeah it was fun.

If it's the actual ending, well it seems really rushed on going back to it. In fact the whole game does. Feels like they are trying to fix all the BS from the Halo 2 story to try and wrap it up. The story is pretty awful but the game is so fun all I need is an excuse to go from set piece to set piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

I do believe digital foundry doesn't really know but guesses from trailer videos of gameplay, analyzing frames from that and even increasing the render to 4k to see what they would look like, which to be honest is not a cert for what any game will come out as.

There was mention of 4k been only reached at 30fps when exhaustive features like RTX are used a lot but 1440p and 1080 having frames of 60 to 120, specifically calling them high frame modes, with dirt 5 supposedly utilizing this as a confirmed option in xbox/ps5 version of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Markitron wrote: »
    So liking Bloodborne, The Last of Us Part 2, Spider-man and The Last Guardian means you have narrow interests?
    It was quokula who suggested users may have narrow interests if they don't play playstation. Power to ya if all you like is playstation but I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out on much and even if I was it's nothing compared to what I wouldn't have access to if I didn't have my PC.
    McFly85 wrote: »
    All big platforms have 90% of the same content
    If all that existed was AAA blockbusters, sure. But that's not all that exists in gaming and so they've got very different selections.
    None of them have prepubescent anime girls with big tits...
    Playstation used to be the king for that ;) But yeah if you don't want to play Sony movie games then surely you're only interested in lewd games. That's the only 2 choices.

8th generation consoles are just meh to me. If I somehow won them all I'd sell them in a heartbeat.

In sorta news, Henry Cavill's PC build post went viral: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCs-N1Eh2Z5/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TLOU2? Step aside. Cyberpunk 2077? Out of the way. The real GOTY is almost here...

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1284144628661460992

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭McFly85

It was quokula who suggested users may have narrow interests if they don't play playstation. Power to ya if all you like is playstation but I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out on much and even if I was it's nothing compared to what I wouldn't have access to if I didn't have my PC.

If all that existed was AAA blockbusters, sure. But that's not all that exists in gaming and so they've got very different selections.

Playstation used to be the king for that ;) But yeah if you don't want to play Sony movie games then surely you're only interested in lewd games. That's the only 2 choices.

8th generation consoles are just meh to me. If I somehow won them all I'd sell them in a heartbeat.

In sorta news, Henry Cavill's PC build post went viral: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCs-N1Eh2Z5/

Why do you assume that only AAA blockbusters are available on consoles? Both Microsoft and specifically Sony have made strides in allowing indies to self publish on their consoles.

If you like gaming on PC, great, but ultimately there’s no wrong answer in how someone chooses to game.

Except if it’s mobile:)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

Relative to the definition of narrow where about would this fall?

You could be better served playing some of their exclusives first and then selling, that's if you like games and don't wish to keep your interests and selection within the definition of narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Why do you assume that only AAA blockbusters are available on consoles?
    That's just what was listed to me. Feel free to list the indie games that are worth €300+
    If you like gaming on PC, great, but ultimately there’s no wrong answer in how someone chooses to game.
    Preaching to the choir here. Tell it to quokula who was responding to Retro after he implied PS4 is close to pointless.
    mrm wrote: »
    You could be better served playing some of their exclusives first and then selling
    There is no titles I wanna play enough that would be worth unboxing a console and reducing it's resale value. I've got plenty to play on PC between steam, gog and all the odd niche stuff you can find around the web. The few titles that I had an interest in playing like Bloodborne run like garbage to the point I don't think I'd enjoy it.
    mrm wrote: »
    that's if you like games and don't wish to keep your interests and selection within the definition of narrow.
    I've played arcade-exclusives on MAME, console games emulated, DOS and older titles, things from 7th-gen, some newer AAA titles, weird flash or webpage games, free libre games. If someone thinks that's narrow because I didn't play the latest God of War (which looks abysmal to me anyway) then whatever :rolleyes:
    J. Marston wrote: »
    TLOU2? Step aside. Cyberpunk 2077? Out of the way. The real GOTY is almost here...
    The outrage this is causing is hilarious. And apparently it's meant to be statement about online harassment. The drama will be X100 more fun than the game.

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

If someone thinks that's narrow because I didn't play the latest God of War

Yep, that's the definition of narrow....you're getting it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Urgh, no, it's set in the '80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1284144628661460992

I watched this trailer earlier on, and I truly and genuinely believed it was some fan-made pisstake. Not a real game, just a trailer designed to get a laugh out of certain groups of people on the internet.

Bloody astounded to see it's a real damn game.

Shin Megami Tensei V finally gets a release date and there's a remaster of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne coming to Switch, the best PS2 era RPG.

Edit: Nocturne coming to PS4 as well it seems.

Shin Megami Tensei V finally gets a release date and there's a remaster of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne coming to Switch, the best PS2 era RPG.

Edit: Nocturne coming to PS4 as well it seems.

Ehhh as in the 3rd person shooter game with a weird camera?

Man I remember that. Came out during a golden age. Soldier of Fortune, Unreal Tournament / Quake 3 era :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RasTa wrote: »

I'd say it's 4K @ 30FPS or 1080P/1440P @ 60FPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm expecting 120fps @ 1080P.

The tweet states 4k @60fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It says optimal 4K / 60FPS. To me that reads as 4K or 60FPS but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

My guess is the visual mode is native 4K, max settings & RTing

Performance mode is 4K CB, medium to low settings, no RTing

Seems Plausible considering it’s essentially a PS4 game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It says 4K / 60FPS. It's possible that means you can choose between 4K or 60FPS (presumably at a lower resolution). I'd guess you can choose between 4k @ 30FPS or 1080p@ 60FPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It says optimal 4K / 60FPS. To me that reads as 4K or 60FPS but I could be wrong.

You're right, it does read as: The performance mode is 4k OR 60FPS.

Bit shít really :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement