Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Animal Crossing is one of those games that is secretly huge and people don't realise it. Like the new super Mario bros. game which have a massive viable shelf life and are some of the biggest selling games ever.

Kids absolutely adore it.

It will outsell Doom Eternal. Possibly on launch week but on overall sales it will trounce it in the long run.

Brilliant! I hope everyone enjoys it! :D

Maybe I can get a demo and see what it's about, if that many people like it, it can't be awful :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Animal Crossing seems to have a similar style of a fanbase to The Sims in that it's WAYYYYYY bigger than people think and they're a very active community. I had a lot of friends looking forward to it - more so than Doom - and it seems to be reasonably well-received, so I'm happy for them :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Brilliant! I hope everyone enjoys it! :D

Maybe I can get a demo and see what it's about, if that many people like it, it can't be awful :)

It’s actually a very hard game to demo, because it’s so low-key and meant to be played in short bursts over a long period of time. It’s just a gentle daily routine, chilling in a virtual village and collecting stuff to pay off your outrageous loan*.

*the cute exterior hides a no holds barred satire of capitalism in that cursed ****ing leech Tom Nook :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

See, it's that "daily drop in for a bit" that puts me right off something like Animal Crossing. Any gameplay loop that skirts even tangentially around the moniker of "chore" gets a big No from me. I've enough actual chores in my day as it is; not to mention the various "gamified" apps that passive aggressively needle me if I miss a day (such as Duolingo). I prefer games I can opt-in into, rather than those emotionally blackmailing me because I ... I dunno, haven't cleaned the virtual house in a week :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not for everyone, I've bounced right off it every time I've tried to get into it as I've an aversion to 'forever games'. However I can definitely see the charm in it. It gives the player a lot of creative freedom to express themselves within the game world and like most Nintendo games, the game world and characters have bags of charm and it constantly doles out like surprises for the player.

There's a few games like Animal Crossing that was massive but nobody really talks about, like Roblox and The Escapist. Although I think Animal Crossing gets a lot more coverage than those games.

Also everyone that says rubbish like Sephiroth or SHODAN are videogamings best and scariest villains is talking utter nonsense. Try having Tom Nook after you, a mortgage lender looking to get paid and shaft you every step of the way. Forget fantasy villains, there's Tom Nooks everywhere out there which is a far scarier proposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It’s actually a very hard game to demo, because it’s so low-key and meant to be played in short bursts over a long period of time. It’s just a gentle daily routine, chilling in a virtual village and collecting stuff to pay off your outrageous loan*.

*the cute exterior hides a no holds barred satire of capitalism in that cursed ****ing leech Tom Nook :pac:

Okay I get you! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Try having Tom Nook after you, a mortgage lender looking to get paid and shaft you every step of the way. Forget fantasy villains, there's Tom Nooks everywhere out there which is a far scarier proposition.

The bastard just saddled me with a 90,000 mortgage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The bastard just saddled me with a 90,000 mortgage :mad:

Oh my sweet, summer child....just you wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

I bought it back when it launched on DS years ago and didn't really get it at all. Wasn't planning to buy the new one but then a lot of people were talking about it and there's no shortage of free time so I picked it up.

Got more into it so far, still not sure it's totally the game for me though because I can see it slowing down dramatically and turning very grindy once the initial goals are done - i.e. you get nook stamps for doing a thing 5 times, but the next stamp is at 20 times then 100 times - but we'll see how it goes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So it's kinda like Stardew Valley?

I took up Stardew Valley as a light bite between bigger games..... and then spent far longer tending my farm than I've spent on other games. It's one of my bad traits is that I can't just drop in and out of a game once or twice a day, I couldn't leave it until I got the greenhouse pumping out fruits galore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Smyths have cancelled all click and collect orders. Guess I have to order RE3 from amazon now.

[url] https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/store-info[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Smyths have cancelled all click and collect orders. Guess I have to order RE3 from amazon now.

An Post said they are going to start staggering their postal deliveries so to expect delays. I think digital is the only way to go for launch day games. I was planning on RE3 and FF7 from either Argos or Smyths but looks like I'll have to pay an extra 30 quid to get them both digitally :(

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    An Post said they are going to start staggering their postal deliveries so to expect delays. I think digital is the only way to go for launch day games. I was planning on RE3 and FF7 from either Argos or Smyths but looks like I'll have to pay an extra 30 quid to get them both digitally :(

Took me about 8 hours to download Ori and the blind forest for the switch a week ago which was 3.5 GB so I shudder to think how long a massive file like RE3 would take. I might just order from Amazon and get it delivered to Parcel Motel.

Is FF7 a hybrid of turn based and real time combat? I never played original and I really dislike turn based combat so hadn't been following this remake. I've read somewhere recently the remake was essentially a mix of the two combat styles. Don't know how that would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Took me about 8 hours to download Ori and the blind forest for the switch a week ago which was 3.5 GB so I shudder to think how long a massive file like RE3 would take. I might just order from Amazon and get it delivered to Parcel Motel.

Is FF7 a hybrid of turn based and real time combat? I never played original and I really dislike turn based combat so hadn't been following this remake. I've read somewhere recently the remake was essentially a mix of the two combat styles. Don't know how that would work.

****e, goodluck with the delivery then dude. The ff7 remake has a choice of new combat (fast button masing and magic using) or classic (slower turn based like the original) so everyone is happy. Turns out a lot of people are unhappy but it's 2020, most people are unhappy with most things. I really like the new combat, haven't tried the classic one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Aren't amazon meant to be having month long delays?
    Smyths still delivering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Smyths still delivering?

Smyths are still delivering and maybe quicker than amazon as they are prioritizing medical post first. As reports some people got mail saying games will be delayed.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Smyths still delivering?

I hadn't heard anything about amazon delays but they could be. In current environment it's probably likely. I did read on here of somebody ordering something last week that was delivered yesterday but maybe they just got lucky.

Resident Evil 3 is currently unavailable to order from Smyth's. I'll keep an eye on the website, maybe it will become available again when all the click and collect order cancellations are processed. €50 was such a nice price though, it's GBP 50 on Amazon.

Edit: I'm a gobsh!te. I hadn't changed to home delivery and that's why I couldn't order. Working now. Sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

CatInABox wrote: »
    So it's kinda like Stardew Valley?

I took up Stardew Valley as a light bite between bigger games..... and then spent far longer tending my farm than I've spent on other games. It's one of my bad traits is that I can't just drop in and out of a game once or twice a day, I couldn't leave it until I got the greenhouse pumping out fruits galore.
    Similar vibe, but one big difference between the two is the real time aspect of Animal Crossing.

With Stardew I found myself flying through seasons. What's another day on the farm or in the mine when it's less than 15 minutes in real life?

You have to wait real time for things to get built in Animal Crossing. At a certain point you get into a real life daily routine. Go bash these rocks, look for dig spots, look for weeds, check the beach, etc.

Both are digital crack though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,819 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I hadn't heard anything about amazon delays but they could be. In current environment it's probably likely. I did read on here of somebody ordering something last week that was delivered yesterday but maybe they just got lucky.

Resident Evil 3 is currently unavailable to order from Smyth's. I'll keep an eye on the website, maybe it will become available again when all the click and collect order cancellations are processed. €50 was such a nice price though, it's GBP 50 on Amazon.

I ordered new PC fans on Sunday and they arrived today. I'm a Prime member though so that might have been something to do with it.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I ordered new PC fans on Sunday and they arrived today. I'm a Prime member though so that might have been something to do with it.

Thanks man. I'm also a prime member. Might just order home delivery with Smyth's now I figured out how to use their website haha. Might still be delayed but started Darksiders 2 last night so will survive if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Yeah I went to order stuff for work the other day and the date I was given was like May 4th:pac: And that was before the "lockdown".

Oh and I got Resi 3 pre-ordered & delivered for €45 ;)

Rob2D wrote: »

Oh and I got Resi 3 pre-ordered & delivered for €45 ;)

Where? Very nice price.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Where? Very nice price.

Digital Steam key! :pac::pac:

Rob2D wrote: »
    Digital Steam key! :pac::pac:

Nice. I'm a console pleb so unable to avail unfortunately. An extra fiver to Smyth's won't break the bank anyway haha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Combat is pure action rpg and the 'classic' option doesn't differ much from it, it's nothing like the original. And I think it's the worst for it, combat just isn't as good as the original.

Combat is pure action rpg and the 'classic' option doesn't differ much from it, it's nothing like the original. And I think it's the worst for it, combat just isn't as good as the original.

Thanks. I might actually look into it. Is the demo still available do you know? I haven't played many turn based games but couldn't get into those that I have played. Maybe I just played the wrong ones as they turned me off them altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Where would I get a PS3 controller.

Just realized the old one has gone missing.

I heard Smyths are closed.

Anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Where would I get a PS3 controller.

Just realized the old one has gone missing.

I heard Smyths are closed.

Anywhere else?

https://ie.webuy.com/search?stext=ps3%20controller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

They are closed tomorrow as well.

Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thanks. I might actually look into it. Is the demo still available do you know? I haven't played many turn based games but couldn't get into those that I have played. Maybe I just played the wrong ones as they turned me off them altogether.

I never liked turn based, aside from maybe a couple of games like the old Armored Core and the more recent South Park 1. But in general, if it's turn based, it's not for me. So I said I'd give the demo for FFVII a go, as I'm interested in the world/lore, but couldn't do the combat.

Anyway, it's like crap hack n slash. Or maybe that's just the feel they're going for. Or God of War has set the bar too high. Anyway, it's button mashing with some real time "pause" to allow you to select something else. Shortcuts can be assigned, ie: L1 + whatever instead of pause, select.

Overall, I didn't like it. It's not turn based, but it's not hack n slash either. It was weird and I didn't like it. But do try it, pretty sure the demo is still available. Big download though, 8Gb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement