Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whatever black magic that Kex engine they use is it certainly helps them churn out games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Definitely gona grab this one. Enjoyed the hell out of it plus it's the subject of one of my favourite reviews of all time.

Charlie Brooker via PC Zone

Whats the cure for the corona virus blues? Ace Combat 7 coming to gamepass tomorrow is what !!!!!! :rolleyes:

Whats the cure for the corona virus blues? Ace Combat 7 coming to gamepass tomorrow is what !!!!!! :rolleyes:Doom Eternal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jesus Christ GameStop.

GameStop declares itself an "essential service" so that they can stay open during the COVID19 shutdown in the US. See here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The feckers are on the verge of bankruptcy is the real reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's at times like this I'm glad I have disk insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That's greasy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CatInABox wrote: »
    Jesus Christ GameStop.

GameStop declares itself an "essential service" so that they can stay open during the COVID19 shutdown in the US. See here.

Reggie's decision to step into a role with this company feels more and more curious. That's a deeply scummy move. Hopefully the bad press will.shame them into reversing the plan; according to Jim Sterling, they're not even helping employees disinfectant the stores that much...

I was in the local shopping center earlier the only places open were a Dunnes, the pharmacy, the phone shops which you can kinda justify as essential, Holland & Barrett (we need snake oil sales men in times like these) and Gamestop.

I've seen the emails H&B have been sending to their employees and they are just as scummy as gamestop. They see themselves in the same vein and provide their staff with the same lack of help and protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

It's at times like this I'm glad I have disk insurance.

Always wonder has anyone ever bought this who is not a mother ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Gamestop don't give a feck about their customers or staff. Shocker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The switch to digital really put the dagger in their backs, and even if they somehow manage to survive during this crisis, I think a lot more people will have permanently switched to digital only. It was at around 50% already, with that percentage going up dramatically each year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it up at 70/80% after this crisis.

I wonder, do the senior execs there sometimes look back at the launch of the Xbox One and think, maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't have ridiculed MS for their "digital only/swap licenses with a machine in a shop" thing. We've effectively got a world that these guys said would never happen, with most people going digital only, except without the ability to resell your own games. Looking back, and then looking at the current market, it's actually shocking how much the gaming world has changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not ever place has actual had a legal lockdown, a lot of it is like just a suggestion. The UK hospitality lobby were pushing for the UK government to force closures as it the companies just do it then it's a choice and insurance won't pay for the down time.

For those places that the legal lockdown is in place, there Gamestop has closed and employees are off without pay. Pretty easy to put point out Gamestop but plenty of business were doing the same and refusing to close, Guards catching a few pubs still open in recent days.

Just to add as it was in the news today, many Irish business won't be getting any insurance payouts at all even with a government enforce shutdown. Sometime after one of the many near misses the Insurers added clauses that excluded this. Allianz and FBD, mentioned but probably more if anyone needs to check if any of this applies to their own circumstances.

Rumor of Gamestop stores now closing as of tomorrow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rumor of Gamestop stores now closing as of tomorrow

And may not reopen ever again. I suspect their intransigence over closing was down to their financial position. They were already in bother and if they can't shift their stock they're in bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm so very conflicted on GameStop closing.

On the one hand, it's terrible company with an awful business model and no ethics.

However, the staff is most of the stores I've been in have been good and friendly people, plus my kids love going there to buy various posters and things that most stores here simply don't sell.

pixelburp wrote: »
    And may not reopen ever again. I suspect their intransigence over closing was down to their financial position. They were already in bother and if they can't shift their stock they're in bother.

There goes my RE3 Remake collectors edition :(

I emailed last week looking to swap to postage....

G/O Media who own among other Kotaku put out a memo to staff titled "Brace For Impact". A lot of sites will suffer with lower general advertising spends even among places that are still in business to want to advertise let alone all those shutdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

There goes my RE3 Remake collectors edition :(

I emailed last week looking to swap to postage....

Did they get back to you by any chance? Was thinking of asking them same, no way I'm heading into Dublin city centre for a video game at the mo...

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Did they get back to you by any chance? Was thinking of asking them same, no way I'm heading into Dublin city centre for a video game at the mo...

I got another automatic response form their help-desk stating of high volume of calls. Looks like they are getting hammered at the moment.

The reason I did it was also because the fact is the stores are closing tomorrow so click and collect will no longer be an option.

If Game-stop goes tits up altogether then I'd be concerned of where my money goes to. 50 euro down-payment currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

pixelburp wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/1241798406483456001

I think this is why they stayed open. I imagine the eShop, PSN & XBL had a massive increase in sales too. People were still going into stores last week and spending not just in Gamestop as I know the Switch was sold out in a lot of places too.
    They have a statement on their site asking people to shop online if possible and saying they won't take in trades. At least a week late but they should try drive people to their online store instead of in store.

https://gamestopukie.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360006847797-COVID-19-Corona-Virus-Information

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Animal Crossing will almost certainly be one of the largest game launches in history.

Thankfully it’s a very fine game indeed and the perfect ‘tune out for 45 mins’ game for these odd times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Animal Crossing will almost certainly be one of the largest game launches in history.

Thankfully it’s a very fine game indeed and the perfect ‘tune out for 45 mins’ game for these odd times :)

A shame if it does as its probably the least innovative Nintendo published series that isn't named Pokemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Largest game launches in history?

I thought it was a niche game for 20something weebs? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Largest game launches in history?

I thought it was a niche game for 20something weebs? :D

Animal Crossing is one of those games that is secretly huge and people don't realise it. Like the new super Mario bros. game which have a massive viable shelf life and are some of the biggest selling games ever.

Kids absolutely adore it.

It will outsell Doom Eternal. Possibly on launch week but on overall sales it will trounce it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

3tncpz.jpg

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement