Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff Irish People Like

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

kfallon wrote: »
    I'm just trying to put across the point that nowhere else in the world do people refer to them as 'runners' only here!

Wrong! They call them runners in Canada (or at least in Vancouver)! My old housemate referred to runners as "runners" one day and I was like, "Whaaaa??? That's my bleedin' word! :mad: Thief!".

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Fail your driving test and then drive home

That was quite a culture shock for me and I only live outside Newry.There are Northies who still dont believe me about that one.

Driving on your own with a provisional licence. Its changing now but it was interesting while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Toasted sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

herosa wrote: »
    That was quite a culture shock for me and I only live outside Newry.There are Northies who still dont believe me about that one.

Driving on your own with a provisional licence. Its changing now but it was interesting while it lasted.

Probably because you would be up in court for it up North. Difference is that very few people up North have insurance until they have a license because the instructor has insurance.

On your drive you'll see the wasters from the council leaning on their shovels as if the weight on the world was on their shoulders

Driving through coleraine just before the NW200 (motorbike race). Council workers were painting the kerbs. There were 6 workers with one paint brush and one tin of paint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

Carrying a shtick whilst out for a walk.....
    Cream in their mashed poppies/spudz
    Not complaining!!
    Taking, posting and sharing photographs of hotels/hotel rooms that they just stayed in!
    Complaining!...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

Driving through coleraine just before the NW200 (motorbike race). Council workers were painting the kerbs. There were 6 workers with one paint brush and one tin of paint!

They're there to hose the blood off later on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 orangesoranges

not buying reebok runners because of the english flag!!

not buying reebok runners because of the english flag!!

Reebock trainers with the union flag replaced by a tricolour - courtesy of tipex and gel pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Leaving Mass at Communion

Saying "there's a grand stretch in the evenings" as soon as we get to around late February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Clearing their nasal passage with their thumb and index finger by some strange catapult motion

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

An aul plate of dinner, bit of chicken, few spuds, bit of collyflower on the side if their feeling feisty.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

And then saying the evenings are closing in around mid october.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Calling a can of coke a, "tin of coke"
    also, calling a tin of beans a, "can of beans".

Wait, I've confused myself now,...what? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Merkin wrote: »
    Leaving Mass at Communion

Saying "there's a grand stretch in the evenings" as soon as we get to around late February

Do ye still go to mass, then? I thought we'd moved on from all that!

I've never heard that saying - is it a rural saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A good feed of stew!

Battered sausages from the chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Are all these things country things or something?
    Coz I haven't heard of most of them.

Are all these things country things or something?
    Coz I haven't heard of most of them.

Get out and broaden your horizons!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

kfallon wrote: »
    Get out and broaden your horizons!!!

Where?
    In Ireland or abroad?
    What are you on about?!
    All I know is I'm from south Dublin, and I've never come across any of these things, so that's why I asked if it was a country thing.

Btw - I have of course heard of stew and battered sausages!!
    I'm talking more of the sayings, and things like that.

An aul plate of dinner, bit of chicken, few spuds, bit of collyflower on the side if their feeling feisty.

Be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Festy wrote: »
    Wearing the GAA jersey abroad.Can't believe nobody mentioned that one yet.:)

thats cause people don't really,not over here anyway.Not when ya have to live somewhere.
    Pennys
    Supportin the parish
    Predrinkin

Where?
    In Ireland or abroad?
    What are you on about?!
    All I know is I'm from south Dublin, and I've never come across any of these things, so that's why I asked if it was a country thing.

Yeah get down the country, you'll have loads of new sayings to amaze your friends with when you come back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A big turnout at a funeral
    And everyone will judge and comment on the turnout

I've seen funerals on British TV and there are only a handful of people there often times
    And I wonder was this person realy unpopular? Did they lead an awful life?
    But it's neither, funerals just aren't a big thing I suppose

Larry Murphy would get a bigger funeral in Wicklow then some of these British funerals get

This theme tune:

A big turnout at a funeral
    And everyone will judge and comment on the turnout

I've seen funerals on British TV and there are only a handful of people there often times
    And I wonder was this person realy unpopular? Did they lead an awful life?
    But it's neither, funerals just aren't a big thing I suppose

Larry Murphy would get a bigger funeral in Wicklow then some of these British funerals get

Irish funerals are a bigger even than elsewhere. Just look at the reaction when the RUC tried to disrupt funeral processions during the troubles.

Advertisement