Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best to you tomorrow, El D! I've even noticed more smiles and upbeat posts in your log this year....and really been enjoying reading about your training. Enjoy your race. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good luck and enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I would tape up the PM readings and view the data after. Race hard and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

I would tape up the PM readings and view the data after. Race hard and enjoy it.

Thanks guys!

@Mackenzie Slow Joker the 80's called and want their methodologies back :rolleyes::pac::D I'll just switch that data screen off and this has the added benefit of saving time in transition taping up the old 910xt ;)

Fri 22 Feb

Bike

Hopped on the rollers for this one, only my second time on them and I am really getting the hang of it. A tentitive first 2 min but no touching the walls after that at all and on each successive of the mod hard rep I was able to push it more and more :) A nice 20min, enjoyed it and enjoying the rollers, will do all easy indoor spins on them from now on-much more fun and required you to keep pretty focused throughout

Time 20min; Dist 10km; Speed 29.7km/h; HR 123; Power 189; Cad 94;

Run

Straight out onto run but got delayed a few mins as I don't like being rude and my neighbour (really interested in what I do :) ) wanted a chat. Anyway felt pretty good. There is a sharp hill on the run course tomorrow soon after leaving transition so I hit for a sharp hill near the house. A nice evening for it too...bright now starting and finishing my runs :)

Time 12:29; Dist 2.98km; Pace 4:07min/km; Cad 84; HR 154;

The 3pm start for this race really did not suit but anyway that was the way. I stayed at my sisters house in Salthill, I left there and made my way to Amphibian King West to collect my new racers (Fastwitch5) and the Huub Big Buoy for myself and some of the good folk on here :) Then I hit for An Cheathru Rua, god I love that part of the country. It is quiet and peaceful.

After I registered I bumped into Catweazle, I was surprised to see him and we had a bit of craic, mainly at PGibbo's expense as we unashamedly berated him behind his back for not turning up and doing a bit of racing :D

Warm Up A 15min bike WU with Catweazle, included a few surges and HC and then onto a 15min run WU included a few surges and heel flicks, knee high, quick feet etc...

Run 1

I just about got to the start line on time! Started near the front and did not get carried away with the quick start. All the main contendors raced off down the road. I kept it steady on a nice flat/slightly uphill stretch of road. We then took a right and it was down a very narrow country road. Narrow reading the course desricption I thought that the only hill was over us 300m down this road (short sharp hill)...not so. There was a very quick and sharp decent and I went flying down here passing a good few. We then took a right hand turn and there was a tough hill (much much tougher second time around). I headed into transition well down the field.

These stats include all of time in T1...forgot to hit lap.
    Time 14:04; Dist 3.44km; Pace 4:03/km; HR Ave/Max 170/180; Cad 86;

Bike

Okay so onto the bike, hammer time. As I was on my roadie with my roadie shoes I just put them on in transition and clip clopped to the mount line, clipped in and off I went. It was a littl crowed for the first 500m but I just blasted past all these as I was eager to get to work on my own. Not enough here, including lads on TT's doing enough to get out of the draft zone. I bounced up the first hill and I was away. I was very surprised at the amount of people I reeled in on the technical, rolling course. I worked hard, numbers were covered up, just put the head down and tried to be somewhat aero with hands often just left flopped over the handle bars. Where the bike lacks aero properties and the opertunity to get my body aero it really makes up in its lightness and handling in the corners. I did however feel a bit fecked in the last km where the only person to catch me passed me. My ave power was 296 and NP 301.

Time 37:11; Dist 21.14km; Speed 34.1km/h; Power Ave/NP 296/301; HR Ave/Max 164/171; Cad 91;

Run 2

Legs were not feeling great for the second run but I had a noce enough gap on whoever was behind me. I put out of my head of catching anyone ahead as the legs were shot and those ahead of me were obviously faster than me. I just foused on finding a nice rhythm and I did...I just wish we did not have to take that right hand turn onto the narrow country road with all it's ups and downs. The sharp climb from sea level up had me almost walking, it hurt. It was a pity but I was caught by two in the last 500m including being chicked :) No shame, Anna Crookes-a tiny but a diminutive runner . The last 200m was slightly downhill so I was able to coast in.

Time 14:22; Dist 3.46; Pace 4:08/km; HR Ave/Max 164/170; Cad 85;

I went onto the second run having made it up to 9th so I think I finished 11th. Plenty of strong lads (and girls) at this race. Happy with the race, still only Feb and this time last year I was nursing a ITB so I really feel I have a head start this year despite a poor July-Dec. I made all sessions last week which was the aim last week. However I did not follow instruction to a T so therefore the aim this week is to make each session and follow instruction best I can.

The Year Thus Far

Well 8 weeks down now. Two races in. I have certainly not raised any eye brows (for the right reasons) but there are things to be optimistic about. Race pace is coming down for the same effort and bike power numbers are improving each week. Swim last year was were I thought I was most consistent last year and it was the discipline I was most pleased with. This year thus far it has been frustrating, however this will improve with more time in the water.

At the beginning of the year I set rough targets in terms of volume and here is where I stand two months in.

Swim:
    targeting 7k a week
    actual 6.2k.......still a god bit to go. I hope by the end of March that I have turned this figure around.

Bike

targeting 100km a week
    actual 101km.....bang on, hopefully by the end of March I will have pushed it up a little more.

Run

targeting 35km a week
    actual 34.5km a week.....almost.

• Advertisement

Totally forgot to mention two things!

(A) I felt really bad for Catweazle's misfortune :( he will post soon, nothing serious just bad luck.
    (B) well done to Rónán Mac's TriAnSpoirt with a very enjoyable event on an interesting challenging little course. I intend returning.

Well done El D!! To finish ~11th with a strong field, and to know you've room to improve should have feeling pretty good about yourself. Nice report....and it sounds like you enjoyed the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Totally forgot to mention two things!

(A) I felt really bad for Catweazle's misfortune :( he will post soon, nothing serious just bad luck.

Ah the intrigue - was I in the lead heading out of T2 until I was sent the wrong way perhaps :confused:

Good racing - I secretly fancied my chances holding you on the first run but I blew up royally on the first hill and never recovered.

Poor old Gibbo - duathlon season almost over this side of the Shannon and no sign of him, definitely gun shy when it comes to races :P

thanks guys, yeah pretty happy alright and enjoyable. I have a 5k in March and really looking forward to that now.

Sun 24th Feb

Slept in this morning so it was always going to be a struggle to get 2hrs in. TBH a sleep in was required big time. After the race yesterday I had to rush home for a family occassion and it was a late night (not drinking or anything-just late) I was shattered and 10min into this spin it became very appartent that it would be nothing more than a recovery spin. By the time I turned around, it was 55min in or so and those 55min just zapped my legs. Anyway after turning around it got easier. I was glad it was done :)

Time 1:33; Dist 38.37km; Speed 25.4kph; HR 114; Power Ave/NP 160/181; Cad 87;

Note: when I feel fatigued my cad is always low (ie below 90rpm)

No wonder I had hot ears on Saturday!!!! :D

Well done at the weekend.

As an FYI - for some reason I assumed it was a morning race. Saturday is my morning for swimming with Finn and that's more important to me than a race. Had I researched properly and seen that it was 3pm I would have been there. Lesson learned.

The Cong Duathlon is out too as I have a wedding that day. Might travel to one of the Ennis ones. IIRC, you thought they were well run last year.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    No wonder I had hot ears on Saturday!!!! :D

Well done at the weekend.

As an FYI - for some reason I assumed it was a morning race. Saturday is my morning for swimming with Finn and that's more important to me than a race. Had I researched properly and seen that it was 3pm I would have been there. Lesson learned.

The Cong Duathlon is out too as I have a wedding that day. Might travel to one of the Ennis ones. IIRC, you thought they were well run last year.

Good stuuf P, 100% agree with your priorities. How about the Cong triathlon in May? I did the Ennis Duathlon and yeah, thought it was excellent. Loved the run route and the bike route was pretty quick, especially on the way back to T2. Also a great location to bring the family as the is a playground to keep the kids busy and a coffee trailer for mom! You'd only be an hour or so.

Mon 25th Feb

Swim

A coached session with Darren, really like these sessions. I also like getting a chance to swim short course-god for confidence/feel like less of a swim loser :o

Time 0:45; Dist 1,500m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Swim
    A coached session with Darren, really like these sessions. I also like getting a chance to swim short course-god for confidence/feel like less of a swim loser :o

Time 0:45; Dist 1,500m

You looked to be swimming good from what i seen, just swim fitness which will come back in a few weeks.

Good stuuf P, 100% agree with your priorities. How about the Cong triathlon in May? I did the Ennis Duathlon and yeah, thought it was excellent. Loved the run route and the bike route was pretty quick, especially on the way back to T2. Also a great location to bring the family as the is a playground to keep the kids busy and a coffee trailer for mom! You'd only be an hour or so.

Cong is the club race and it's out as I have my godson's First Communion that day

I forgot to mention how good it was to see Fran last and great to be able to wish him all the best for Sat in person

Tues 26th Feb

Bike

Nice to have some choice for this type of session; turbo, rollers, outside. Normally any chance to get out and I am there but I have the rollers now and I really like them. The most I had done on them was 20min so I was interested to see if I could do the hour. No problem as it turns out, no touching the walls and even comfortable taking a swig from my bottle :) I really wanted to pace this well, build into it. First 10min easy and last 5easy, inbetwwen build it. I kept assessing the situation and after 45 or so min I decided to start the CD a little early with Thursday's session in mind. The good news is the legs feel recovered from Sat effort.

Time 1:00; Dist 32km; Speed 32kph; Power AP/NP 208/215; Cad 93; HR 132;

Weds 27th Feb

Swim

My first session with the new Big Buoy, TBH it didn't have as dramatic effect as I thought it might. Of course it all depends on your beginning body position and mine isn't the worst anyway. Now that does not mean that my times are great, still well off last year's paces but some small improvements this morning. 11x100 alt sw/p mod hard on 2 1:43;
    1:46; 1:47; 1:40; 1:43; 1:44; 1:45; 1:45; 1:47; 1:48; 1:45 I had a similar set last week, times much better this week. The fast 50's again were so tough: 45; 50; 51; 52;

Run

Well I have suspected that having protein at lunch on the same day as an evening run does not suit me. It was confirmed today...peanut butter and Rye, left me totally bloated and give me a serious tummy ache :( I presitted anyway and got through the session but it certainly was not pretty. Peanut butter, yogurt, smoked salmon, whey protein, cheese whatever - it seems to give me a stomach pain so I have to cut it out on run days at lunch.

Time 0:47; Dist 9.69; Pace 4:45/km; HR 151; Cad 83;

Thurs 28th Feb

Bike
    FTP Time

My first FTP EVER :)! I was under pressure to squeeze this in to be honest and I felt I was not in the best frame of mind for it, I would have liked to be more mentally prepared. It is very busy in school these days and I had to be in town for 6 for a date with my fair Linda :) So I rushed home at lunch just so I could set up the turbo....right down to the water in my bottle and fan, garmin and iPad all set up and the tunes of course.

Once I got home I got straight into my shorts and strapped up (HRM ;) ) and onto the bike, normally I always stretch first-just some slight stretches. Anyway got straight into it. The 5min TT was so tough, much tougher than I thought it would be. For a while now I have cosidered 164 as my LTHR but I went beyond that twice this evening. With two mins to go in the 5 I thought oh sh1t I got this wrong, dug deep and hung in.

Time 5min; Dist 3.83km; Speed 46km/hr; HR Ave/Max 167/177; Power Ave/NP/Max 356/352/522; Cad 98;

Okay first part over. It took me at least 5min before my mind returned to me..."...oh crap, nearly time to do the biggie!" So I picked up my cadence and tried getting the life back into them. Once I started the 20 I stuck to my coaches advice , start at 290 and try and up it by 5w after 2 min and reassess every two mins. This worked well until 8min when my mind went to mush and I was well and truely in deep so it was just try and keep the 3sec ave power above 300. I fixated my gaze on the power number...I was almost in a trance :) One thing I did do well imo was I kept control of my breathing, I find breathing in the nose helps me control this. However with 2.5min to go and me trying to spill everything into it even my breathing was now all over the place. My eyes were closed for the last 30 as i dug deeper.

Time 20min; Dist 13.58km; Speed 40.7km/hr; HR Ave/Max 166/175; Power Ave/NP/Max 303/301/396; Cad 90;

I had to forgo the 5min cool down if I was going to catch the train....slap on the wrist for this from coach and rightly so! Legs wobbled a bit but I got my sh1t together and all was well. I brought the iPad with me so I could upload from the train and tweet/mail my first EVER FTP result...such was my excitement :):D

So an FTP of 287, better than I thought (my guess was 285). My LTHR 166, so two new zones now. M w/kg is 3.7, I will try to push the FTP up to 300w and a w/kg of 4 this year hopefully.

Cannot wait to do another already:)

Fri 1st Mar

Swim
    NAC SC

Body sore and unrested when I woke this morning so I felt it best to get extra sleep and try to fit this in and lunch. I did just that. Well as I said earlier this week I should swim short course more, great for confidence :) My mod hard 200's in the 50 were at best 3:35's. Today:

1) 3:11
    2) 3:10 (messed this up stopped at 150m thinking I was done!)
    3) 3:11
    4) 3:14
    5) 3:15

Well pleased. I felt so good and like my old self from last year :)

The fast 50's though still...well.... 41, 42, 44, 44.

Time 0:49; Dist 2,500m;

Run Easy

No protein this afternoon :) and no problem stomach wise :) happy days. I coasted along nicely and really enjoyed the almost balmy weather. A flat route, one I have not done before, I was just conscious of the fact I might be feeling some DOMS. However no such problems.

Time 45min; Dist 10.24km; Pace 4:24/km; HR 151; Cad 85;

Okay...so the :D negates the :(....which leaves nine :) s and a single ;).

Nice work!

Sat 2nd March

Bike

Well there was no adverse effects yesterday from the FTP but this morning I knew the legs were feeling it, often the case that the DOMS can peak after 48hrs in my experience.

On a Saturday after breakie and before I head off I like to get a load of fresh veg and chop them up, some go into a pot for veg soup and some into a good Irish stew. I then time the range to come on 1.5hrs before my return, the result: (1) hot soup as soon as I arrive home (2) hot water for my bath (3) dinner ready too :)

So armed with my new power zones I headed off, easy zone is 161-217, that leaves plenty of scope and as I get older I get a little more sensible so I said to myself that I needed to keep it to the lower limit of easy. So glad I did as I started tired and finished tired but not totally wasted but I know that had I pushed it more I would hav ehad to be making a phone call. This was also my longest spin of the year and tomorrow I have to back it up with my longest run of the year so as soon as I was in the door I kicked into action my recovery plan, 3:1 carb:protein shake, jacuzzi bath with epsomes salts, then compression calf and quad sleeves (for 2/3 hours) and compression tights. I also ate my dinner within the hour.

Amussing note (to me anyway): today I passed 3 tractors, one herd of cattle and one Luke "Ming" Flanagan :)

Time 3:04:42; Dist 83.7km; Speed 27.6kph; HR 128; Power Ave/NP 174/191; Cad 91;

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Okay...so the :D negates the :(....which leaves nine :) s and a single ;).

Nice work!

Haha...maybe I should dial it down a bit actually but truth be told I am really enjoying my training, other things in my life are and can be challenging at times but training wise I am loving it :)

Haha...maybe I should dial it down a bit actually but truth be told I am really enjoying my training, other things in my life are and can be challenging at times but training wise I am loving it :)

Nah....don't dial it down. Enthusiasm is a good thing....and it can be infectious, so it's win, win. ;)

Again, great work you're doing here! :)

Would you believe, just when all was going well :rolleyes: missed today's long run and out for 1/2/3 days now - sore throat/cold. I could feel it coming on yesterday morning and this morning I had the aches and very raw throat. I am concerned at the lack of long runs but hey, look 2/3 days out now won't kill me and this is part and parcel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ah crap just as you were finding your stride. Hopefully just a few days.

Ah crap just as you were finding your stride. Hopefully just a few days.

Yeah, it will only affect me in the short term. I will get back quick I hope. However it is time to get myself to a doc and bloods-too many times I have had a cold in the past 3 months. I'll be back logging training by the end of the week I hope.

At the end of last week things were really looking up. A decent first FTP attempt followed the very next day by my best swim session of 2013 and on the same day a great 45min run at 4:24/km for an easy run. I stepped on the scales and found I was bang on target for my Mar the 16th 75.5kg target. Then on Sat a 3hr slogfest and i wasn't feeling great. Sunday morning a full blown cold-energy zapped. Long run missed and 4.5 days missed in total. Not sure what's going on, 3 colds in 4 months is not good and is ruining any chance of consistency which is wht improvment is all about. So I will see the doc and get bloods done soon just to see if I could bolster my defences. In 2011 I went the whole year without as much as a sniffle, the only thing I changed is I stopped buying the expensive manuka honey....could it be that that was helping me that much? :confused: All of this is such a pity as I felt I was coming into 5k PB shape for next Sat MSB 5K race. I don't get too many chances to do a straight 5k race so I was delighted that the signs were looking so good. Sure I'll see how it goes anyway and hope come Dec i could have a go at getting as near as possible to 17:30.

So I decided on Monday to work on the mental and emotional side of things. Instead of concentrating on the negatives. Well I'm sick...not injured, there is a big difference. My last 3 sessions were great, things looking up on all fronts and going to get even better especially when I really start taking the core work seriously again (start on Monday to do this). So all in all I'm in good shape and this season will be my best yet given good health.

So feeling a lot better on Thursday I got a bit done.

Thurs 8th Mar

Run
    30 min Easy

Went without the Garmin as I did not want to be tempted to push it on my first session since Saturday after the cold. As it was raining I stayed in doors, again just a precaution. Feel good though, no problems.

Friday 8th Mar

Swim

It took two months but finally last Friday I got a good swim session in and IMO it is important to back it up with another as soon as possible. Well, typically, I got sick. The swimming this year seems like one step forward two back, I was afraid my feel for the water would be gone again. Thankfully it went well and I felt good. Cold is gone and I think I can ease back in now. Injury and illness pending I will not miss another swim session between now and June.....consistency is the key.

Sat 9th Mar

Bike
    2.5hr Easy

Misty, drizzley, dark, wet morning. I considered getting on the turbo especially considering the fact I was getting over the cold but I just didn't fancy an indoor session...I wanted fresh air and nature. I was pleasantly surprised with how I was feeling, started out very easy but built into it and it was a very enjoyable spin. My first since last Sat and numbers were much better today. Last Sat 3hrs felt like 6 and todays 2.5 flew by :)

Time 2:32; Dist 71km; Speed 28.4kph; AP/NP 189/203; HR 132; Cad 91rpm;

A one hour run tomrrow and then hopefully a good week next week and a decent 5k time. It will certainly be better than my 34min 8k back in Jan 8 weeks ago that is for sure!

Mon 11th Mar

Run

Time was a problem so I hopped on the treadie for this but only got 30min done.

Swim

The main set was {50 falt out, 200 race pace, 50 flat out}x2 50's on 60, 200's off 30 sec rest. After the fast 50's in the first set Darren said I could go faster on the 50's, I did - 38sec. The 200's came in at 3:08 (1:31/1:37) and 3:11 (1:35/1:36). A very enjoyable session.

Tues 12th

Bike

A good session. I have only done two long bikes since the FTP test so this was my first turbo with my power zones. This included 15 steady, 5 mod these were fine, no problem 230W and 280W respectively.

Time 1:00; Dist 27.4km; Speed 29.9kph; HR 126; Power Ave/NP 206/214; Cad 93;

Weds 13th

Swim

Another decent session, getting the feel back but vital I don't miss any swims. The 200's: 3:33, 3:34, 3:37, 3:33, 3:34. Lost concentration i think for the 3rd one but got it back together then.

Time 1:05; Dist 2,400m; Pace 1:44/100;

Run

This session was going to determine if I was going to race the 5k on Saturday. Basically i was shaping up for a decent attempt at a PB but after missing most of last week through illness that really finished any hoope I had. During this session I was going to test my 5k pace (6x3min 5k pace/2 easy). If I could hold an average pace of 3:38/km for all 6 reps then I'm in for the race. I couldn't though so I will do a long run and bike this weekend as this will be more beneficial in the long run #longtermgains

1) Pace 3:38; HR 174;
    2) Pace 3:48; HR 167;
    3) Pace 3:40; HR 166;
    4) Pace 3:50; HR 171;
    5) Pace 4:03; HR 162;
    6) Pace 3:48; HR 168;

Given another 6 weeks of consistent training and I may be able to hold 3:35-3:38 (last May 3:30-3:33) during a similar session. I hope.

Time 0:45; Dist 10k; Pace 4:29/km; Cad 80; HR 158;

Thurs 14th

Bike

It was the rollers for this one, really like these hour sessions now...it's just nice to have another option.

Time 60min; Dist 30.34km; Power Ave/NP 200/202; Cad 93;

Fri 15th

Swim

It's good to be finally putting some decent swim sessions back to back. I had 6x 150m as my main set: 2:28, 2:32, 2:34, 2:37, 2:34, 2:32;
    Then a huge pleasant surprise, the fast 50's in on: 39, 42, 41, 42. I was so surprised that I gasped, "What?!" out loud, I got strange looks from a guy at the wall to my right :) I worked my ass off last year to get under 40 for a fast 50 in the LC pool and this one came from no where! This year my fastest was 42 and then I would drop right off to 48-50 for the other 3. Now look I know it means nothing really especially when we are concerned with 750/1,500m OW swims but still....every little victory is good for morale :)

Run

I didn't feel too hot for this one for some reason but got it in the bag, had 5x 20sec fast too.

Time 30min; Dist 6.75km; Pace 4:27min/km; HR 151; Cad 82rpm;

Sat 16th

LER

There is only one thing I hate more than morning runs....long morning runs! But I wanted to go into town to support my mate from home as he did his first race (other mate from home finished 4th :o) The second half of the run was so tough....my endurance is just not there at the moment. This was my longest run yet of 2012. Still plenty of time to build it up now. I was so glad to have finished...legs in pieces. It was a lovely crisp morning, foggy, misty and frosty and the sun burnt through the fog fo rthe last 20min...still though I am so done with winter!

Time 1:20; Dist 16.5km; Pace 4:50min/km; HR 149; Cad 82;

Sun 17th St Patricks Day

Long Bike

The forecast last night was for -4 and I had to get this long bike done early, so I set the turbo up before going to bed. When I woke it did not seem so bad actually and I almost changed my mind. Thank god I didn't....By 8:30 it was like a blizzard out there and still icy obviously. Now I was nervous about this...3hr turbo, 3 weeks ago I tired this and failed having to get off aftee 2.5hrs and this morning my legs were in bits after yesterday's LER. I started cautiously, the low limit of easy. Tweeting during it helped....get to an hout and tweet, another hour and tweet, last 3o...tweet, I felt compelled to get it done. Funny thing is I started to feel alright in the last 30 although HR kept up for the last hour. Still in easy though, forgetting my fan probably did not help :) My ave power was 175 for a long time and I made a deal, if the ave power dropped below 171 then I'd get off as that is getting too close to easy lower limit. It did drop to 173 for a while but I was able to rise it again. I also had 3hrs of Paris/Nice recorded so that helped. So happy to finish and my legs felt so much better now :)

Time 3hrs; Dist 82.4k; Speed 27.5kmp; Power Ave/NP 174/176; CAd 85 (tired legs, usually 93!)

A good week. I need about 8 more :)

Mon 18th Mar

Bike Long

Up early early for this one. I hoped to get outside but it was 1 degree with a real feel of -2, it was also lashing down. I had to start the session before 7:45 to have any chance of getting it done and I did not fancy being wet from minute one and then cold for the rest of the 3 hours (I have a poor recent history with colds/illness) So for the second morning in a row it was turbo time and another 3hrs. This time I only lasted just over two hours. I think I could have gone on but the legs were beginning to give out and Linda woke early and was wanted to get going so I decided it best to keep the peace and get off. So 5hours turboing in 26hours was tough, hopefully it will stand to me.

Time 2:04; Dist 56.9km; Speed 27.5kph; Power Ave/NP 173/174; HR 119; Cad 86;

Tues 19th Mar

Swim

The pool was in 25m format so I did my 200's mod hard off 3:35 instead of 3:45. I was hoping to get these all under 3:11/3:10.

Time/Pace
    1) 3:16 (1:38)
    2) 3:12 (1:36)
    3) 3:10 (1:35)
    4) 3:13 (1:36)
    5) 3:12 (1:36)

So my inconsistency in the pool continues but I know by not missing a single swim session that this will come right and those mod hard 200's will come in under 3:10.

Time 1hr; Dist 2,500m; Pace 1:35/100;

Weds 20th Mar

Swim

Pool format was 50m.

4x 150sw easy; 2:39; 2:40; 2:43; 2:39
    4x100p with 10s -steady; 1:42; 1:45; 1:46; 1:45
    4x150b+b with 15s; 2:51; 2:52; 2:57; 2:55;

I was hoping for better steady 100's, I thought I'd get them all under 1:42 (this time last year 1:38) Hopefully over the next 8 weeks I will get there.

Time 1hr; Dist 2,500m; Pace 1:47/100;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Did you ever make a decision on Turkey? (i.e. the title of this log :) )

Last post I saw was you were still not sure but it looked like it wasn't going to happen.

Did you ever make a decision on Turkey? (i.e. the title of this log :) )

Last post I saw was you were still not sure but it looked like it wasn't going to happen.

Next week I will be making a proper post about my targeted races and race plans this year but in short Turkey is a no go. I always said that it will only be on if I'm in AG podium shape and the period from July to Dec 2012 and stop start nature overall means I am not in shape. To be fair I've been there and got the tee shirt and I recommend it to anyone but I just wanted more from it. The final nail in the coffin was the fact that flights and accom etc...would cost nearly €1000 each and I can't afford that.

So next week ill chat about what's to become of this log and my hopes for 2013 :)

PS I will someday return to the Euro AG dream...I just need to keep the head down and work for a while.

Weds 20th

Run

Garmin bat dead so had to go without. Felt good on this run, I felt light on my feet - the way I did just before I got sick.

Time 45min; Dist 10.1km; Pace 4:27/km;

Thurs 21st Mar

Strength

Okay long long over due that i start back at this stuff! I didn't know last year if this type session helped (was doing it twice a week) but once I stopped it soon became clear that it was helping. 80min of some of my favourite exercises and some Eanna McGrath gave me back in Nov. I like these sessions.

Bike

Sat on my bike and stage 4 of the Tour of Catalunya (hour highlight) had just started. Luckily I had not heard the result and my god was it inspiring stuff! Dan Martin was a hero for a day and Roche was pretty brave too. Martin grinded his way up 12% inclines (the last 20k was vertical) all on his own. This made my 30min @90%FTP fly by. This was my first %FTP session and I knew I'd enjoy it, and I did :) Satisfying session.

Time 59min; Dist 30km; Speed 32.2kpm; Power NP/Ave 233/219; HR 136; Cad 93;

Fri 22nd Mar

Swim

Glutes and inner tighs in bits after yesterdays strength session, a sign that i was doing the exercises well.Thank god I don't have my usual Friday run today. I did have a swim though and main set of: 15x 100 alt sw/pull (forgot the first pull) pool was in 25m format

1) 1:37sw
    2) 1:39sw
    3) 1:41sw
    4) 1:40p
    5) 1:38sw
    6) 1:39p
    7) 1:41sw
    8) 1:40p
    9) 1:41sw
    10) 1:42p
    11) 1:38sw
    12) 1:37p
    13) 1:37sw
    14) 1:37p
    15) 1:36sw

I think I may be getting used of the kind of pace I want to be holding because I really focused and felt good from rep 11 on. Glad to see it too. It is no surprise either as I have now two weeks back to back of 3 swims which will see me make the improvements I want.

Time 1:05; Dist 2,800m, Pace 1:45/100;

Right I have a date with Bambatta up in the no doubt misty, cold moutains. Looking forward to it :)

Sat 23rd

Bike
    Long/hilly and with steady bits.

(NOTE: Auto-Pause in the 'workout' mode of the 910xt is disabled so I stopped it myself at lights etc... and often forgot to put it going again for a period of time)

Well I have wanted to ride up the Wicklow Mts for a while now and when the opportunity presented itself Sat morning to meet up with someone who would be good company and a good guide (Eddie) then I jumped at it. My words will not do justice to the conditions we went through for 8k or so at the top of Sally Gap. We meet at the middle roundabout in the Phx Park and off we went. First thing to note here is that I have not been any further South in Dublin City on my bike than the Southern most roundabout of the park before so this was my first time cycling in The city centre. It was very busy for an early Sat morning. We crossed the the official south side and then headed out Rathfarnham direction...I hadn't a clue but I was enjoying a new route. In hindsight this was a poor selection of route as I had 3x 20 steady efforts to do, the first one I managed but the other two were difficult to control as I was either climbing with slush under my wheel or descending! The second two TBH were about survival anyway! Anyway we started to climb after 27min or so and did so for the next 1.5hrs. I remember Eddie pointing to a small bit of snow on the way up....a sign of things to come? Not even close! It was too late when I realised the craziness of it all, I may have panicked a bit if I actually thought about what we were doing. The more we climbed the windier it got, the less we could see, the more snow there was (toptube high at one point) and the narrower the single car tire strip got for cycling! Of course there was hail mixed in with the strong side wind which sand blasted the left side of our faces. Our bikes had a slight left lean as we leaned into the wind. In truth though this was great for bike balance and handling skills and to my surprise mine were pretty okay, I felt that the roller sessions have helped actually. A smoother pedal stroke insured that I did not spin the wheel from under me and I concentrated on core strength to keep the bike vertical. My descending is crap but on this evidence it has also improved. Descending in these conditions is very difficult as you can imagine especially when you do not know the roads and can only see 100m or so ahead, Eddie was good enough to switch his back light on so I could see him and where the turns were :) The descent though brought other problems...the chill-hands got so hold that I found it very difficult to break and change gear. I did not realise that after the descent we had more climbing to do and of course then more descending! Although I was suffering as I was under prepared/layered I have to say I was really enjoying it :) It was a bit mad but life is about living and getting out of your comfort zone every now and then. When we did come back down to where there were actually humans and other life sources I was fairly beat. I struggled home, once I could feel my legs again they were shot. Struggled from the park back but got it done and I need the miles anyway. I won't forget this session and I will think twice will I sit in my car and utter "fvckin ejit's..." when I hear of people being stranded IN THEIR CARS up the Sally Gap on the radio. I just always thoguht, "why would they even chance going up there in those conditions?" The irony was not lost on me when we navigating our way across the gap ON OUR BIKEs!

Time 3:22; Dist 85km; HR 136; Power Ave/NP 192/225; Cad 83; Speed 23kmp

Sun 24th Mar

Run
    LER

Well after yesterday's epic cycle I got back to the house later than planned and had basically 25min to get stripped, showered and packed to head west! Funny enough I did not forget my Garmin USB, HRM or even the watch strap but I did however leave the 910xt on the bike! So had to go by feel today, not even my trusty stopwatch. It was nice running without anything actually. It was dry out but oh so windy! It was grand while it pushed me along but for the last 25min it was straight in my face. I know now what feels like good form and I have to say that although going into that strong headwind the last 20min I held very good form. I know it's good when I feel like I am gliding along and my quads and lower legs are not feeling the effort. Also I can feel a slight rotation around the lower back and I feel my glutes are engaged. I last felt this nearly 3 weeks ago just before I got sick so it is coming back to me :)

Time 1:17; Dist 16.5km; Pace 4:40/km;

Mon 25th

Run
    45 easy

Very windy out again and a wind that would cut through you but dry at least. I felt I took up from the last 20 of yesterday's run but lost focus and form at times. Overall though happy out :)

Time 45min; Dist 10k; Pace 4:28; HR 149; Cad 83

Swim

This was a Mr Tango coached session. I did not read the file before heading a long so it was a surprise to me when he said 400TT! I haven't done one in a while so I was happy with 6:18 (1:26/1:38/1:38/1:36). Darren reckons I should be able to get under the 6, I'd take sub 6:10 TBH but I might do the 6 as I am determined not to miss any sessions at all. Plenty of 200's at threshold/sub-threshold will see my time drop according to Darren. We also had some drill work and some OW practice, mass starts, around the buoy all of which was fun. A really enjoyable session and great to catch up with Macanri....the funny man that he is ;)

checked weight today, 76.5kg and BF - 12.4%. Aim is to get these down to 74.5kg and 9.5% in 4 weeks time leaving me 8 weeks to my first targeted race (more about that this week).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

It was too late when I realised the craziness of it all, I may have panicked a bit if I actually thought about what we were doing. The more we climbed the windier it got, the less we could see, the more snow there was (toptube high at one point) and the narrower the single car tire strip got for cycling! Of course there was hail mixed in with the strong side wind which sand blasted the left side of our faces. Our bikes had a slight left lean as we leaned into the wind. In truth though this was great for bike balance and handling skills and to my surprise mine were pretty okay... I won't forget this session and I will think twice will I sit in my car and utter "fvckin ejit's..." when I hear of people being stranded IN THEIR CARS up the Sally Gap on the radio. I just always thoguht, "why would they even chance going up there in those conditions?" The irony was not lost on me when we navigating our way across the gap ON OUR BIKEs!

But I bet you were glad you went up there right ?
    Next time I go up on the cross bike you can come along, but its only worth it if its a white out ;)

Advertisement