Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Nearly the same height as me
    good point on hips, get a video taken from behind.

Video from behind would be useful too, but what I was actually saying was that the video doesn't go high enough to see his hips, can only see half his arse (for want of a better word)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BTH wrote: »
    Video from behind would be useful too, but what I was actually saying was that the video doesn't go high enough to see his hips, can only see half his arse (for want of a better word)

Good thing taking it from behind (ooh matron) is that you can see if there is much movement in the hips on both sides which can tell a lot rather than a side shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

@BTH LOL nope, nope short but less fit and flexible.

@BTH @JB Excellent suggestions regarding a shot of my hips from behind and a higher shot of my hips from the side. I should have thought of that.

@everyone thanks for ye're comments, very interesting and the problem has been sorted now, see below.

Weds 7th Nov

Swim NAC LC

4x50 des 1-4: 49, 50, 45, 43. Not sure what happened with the 2nd one, perhaps a loss of focus.
    4x 100 on 3min hitting 1:35: 1:33; 1:36; 1:32; 1:34; Again the 2nd rep-no excuse really not to be sub 1:35 seen as the repeat times were so generous.
    4x 50 hitting 45 on 80: 42, 43, 43, 43.

Pace 1:43/100m; Ave Eff 37; Ave SWOLF 75; Ave Strokes/length 23

Bike - Test The Leg

So this was to test the leg and new bike position. Glad to say it went fine this evening :) Basically went with a cm drop. That felt better but I felt a little cramped, especially right knee. It felt like I should raise the saddle a touch so did so by 0.5cm. This felt much better. Legs felt great after the spin actually.

With the lack of a HRM and power data the only numbers I have to go by are cadence and speed. At this stage I know where to expect these numbers to be (roughly) Both cadence and ave speed have been down lately and today I saw a return to what I'd expect. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little more tweaking so ill keep my Allen key with me on spins for now, especially the long spin on Saturday.

Time 48:40; Dist 21.34km; Speed 26.3/km; Cad 90;

BTW we are already a week into Nov and I still haven't sat on my turbo for a session yet :) With decent lights I am still getting out, when I start it's still bright but with dark clouds it can be dangerous. Looking forward though to stepping into the house of pain now :)

Thurs 8th Nov

Really need to get my HRM sorted. Cycle SuperStore have it on order for me, should have it this day week. I went for the new Polar WearLink + for 18eur, I will use the Garmin transmitter. I need it to see where I am really when it comes to running. I mean this run felt good but was I in steady zone? I know not as my RPE is outta wack for the moment, nothing a few weeks back with HRM training can't sort out. I really did not want to go out for this one which is funny as I have been beginning to enjoy training again, also that never happened this time last year. Then again this time last year I was fitter, faster and lighter. The main thing is I did get out though and got it done.

Time 30:00; Dist 6.5km; Pace 4:37/km;

Fri 9th Nov

Another week of swimming under the belt so thats good. I looked into the number/data a bit more now that I am well and truely back at it. In this session I had 5x 200 mod hard. I messed up hitting the button for the first so no data. I had a pace plan and an idea of what I would like to be hitting these in. I would love for all these to be sub 3:20, that was my poor misguided target :) My pace plan was to have my watch alert me every 50sec-that is the time I should be hitting 50m (I messed this up though because you need to reset the timer at the end of the interval, only copped that for the last one.) The first one was about 3:21 I'd say but looking at the data I clearly messed up the pacing. I was way too fast for the first 50 in all of them. I'd like to think that when I do these again I will be smarter. I will make a conscious effort from now on to improve pacing.

1) c.3:21
    2) 3:27
    3) 3:28
    4) 3:28
    5) 3:24

Something else to note when you go deeper into the numbers. My arm turnover is fine but I am taking too many strokes (hence high SWOLF and Efficiency index) i.e. not getting enough out of each stroke. So I need to make it longer, this may mean that my turnover should drop but once I got the length I can build in the turnover again. So pacing and stroke length, two things that I need to work on.

Ave Pace 1:40/100; Ave Eff 37; Ave SWOLF 74; Ave Strk/length 24;

There was a run planned for Fri evening but with a doctors appointment and then forgetting my lights this did not get done ;( It was late anyway when I got home (North Galway).

Body Composition Watch

Well what's not monitored isn't managed so time to get a grip of the body comp once again.

Muscle Mass

picture.php?albumid=2165&pictureid=14144

Well this is up which isn't a bad thing but probably muscle where I don't want it.

Weight

picture.php?albumid=2165&pictureid=14145

From exactly a year ago this graph looked lovely...now it'd ruined :(

Body Fat

picture.php?albumid=2165&pictureid=14146

Body fat up but it will be coming down from now on.

I am quite content this evening :)

Weight

picture.php?albumid=2165&pictureid=14145

From exactly a year ago this graph looked lovely...now it'd ruined :(

Someone had a good off season:) Good to hear the bike is feeling better with saddle height change

Someone had a good off season:) Good to hear the bike is feeling better with saddle height change

:D well it was really the 4 months of inconsistency and injury and rougher me back to this level. Still no excuse

I have been keeping my DQS this week and will continue to do so until I am happy with my progress. So Monday - today: 16, 22, 14, 22, 11, 12

• Advertisement

Sunday 11th Nov

LER

4x {19:30 run, 0:30 walk} No company for this one which may not have been a bad thing as I was perhaps more focused. To keep me focused I decided to concentrate on two things (seen as I do not have HR) cadence and pace. A hill route but with my last two long runs being at a pace of 5min/km and 5:12/km I wanted to ensure this run was done at under 4:55/km. I did that but pace dropped off for the last rep but still under target pace. I also wanted cadence to be 83rpm or better. I had my Brooks LSD Lite for the first time, thanks to Amphibian King West :cool:, and was kinda hoping for crappy weather to test it out alas it was a lovely sunny winters afternoon :) I was looking for a kind of all in one and with it being wind and waterproff yet light, this seems to be the business. It folds into it's own pocket,

picture.php?albumid=2165&pictureid=14150

so I bungled it up and stuck it between my Skins layer and Canterbury layer at the small of my back. It did get a little chilly for the last 10min so I was only too delighted to whip it out!

picture.php?albumid=2165&pictureid=14151

Snug :) chill factor neutralised and yet I wasn't overheating-so light. Impressed. Anyway back to the run. I felt pretty good until it came to hills where I stuggled, more needed and with time this will improve. A few KG's lost will also help.

Time 1:20; Dist 16.74km; Pace 4:47/km; Cad 83rpm;

Week 4 - Prep

Swim

There was no times to hit in this morning so I was very much focusing on a high elbow and strong catch with a long stroke finishing it out the back. So much so that the snorkel stayed in my gob for most of the mornings session! At times it felt great! Some of the 100's were sub 1:39 and its felt so very easy :) So more of this. My level of focus this morning was great.

Time 0:56; Dist 2,100m; Pace 1:48/100; Ave Eff 39; Ave SWOLF 77; Strk/length 23;

Easy Run

I was really really hoping that my new Polar HR strap from CycleSuper Store was at the house when I arrived home today. It was :) I was very excited and happy as I really want to see were my HR is. But it did not work :( (See below though for a happy ending :) ) Did not have time to do my loosening exercises so this was a little tougher than it should have been. I now see the benefits of the loosening exercises.

Time 30:05; Dist 6.29km; Pace 4:47km;

Not sure what my DQS was today but the only minus point(s) was a solitary biscuit :)

So regarding my disappointment with the Polar HRM. I was angry leaving for my run, thoughts of returning it and whether or not they would take a return because my Garmin transmitter isn't Polar basically. What was happening was when I tried to click the transmitter in place it kept popping up and would not stay in place. You see this is a new Polar strap, an updat efrom the one that DC Rainmaker did a post on. Have the crafty feckers in Polar copped onto what people were doing I wonder?

After my run I had calmed down and decided to see exactly why it wouldn't stay in place. It was then I noticed the "lips" that were preventing the transmitter from clicking into place:

The offending lips!

picture.php?albumid=2165&pictureid=14153

So I decided to saw them off! I knew this meant that a return will now be definitely out of the question, but I was sure this would work. I thought the 'lips' were plastic so I was going to file them off but upon closer inspection I saw that they were rubber-even more difficult to saw through:

picture.php?albumid=2165&pictureid=14154

It worked :) New Polar strap with Garmin transmitter working in harmonary now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm telling Polar on you!

I'm telling Polar on you!

Tell tale!!

Tues 13th Nov

Easy Bike

Well the bike had a couple of upgrades, a new cassette, ultegra 12-25 to replace my 105 11-18 (the one that came with it. Now that my coach has educated me a little on the issue I cannot understand why you would put a 11-18 on a bike! I also got a new ultegra chain (great value on CRC at the moment BTW) The bike was like new! Shifting was so smooth and because of the new cassette's ratio's my rhythm was much better, I was loving it! So still haven't hopped on the turbo, lights on and off I went, windy and raining but I really enjoyed it. Clonsilla, Clonee, Dunboyne then all the way to the Ratoath roundabout and back. The great thing about that route is it is street lit all the way, there is a bus lane for 80% and the road surface is great. I think I could get away with one doing these type of sessions out doors throughout winter i.e. easy 60-80min spins. The legs felt fine and I was so up for this :) Great to have my new HRM setup and great to see where HR is, no more guessing. I'm glad to say I am fitter than I thought i.e. my HR wasn't going as high as I thought which meant I could push a bit more at easy zone.

Time 61min; Dist 27.82; Ave Speed 27.4; Ave HR 128; Ave Cad 91;

Thursdays bike session will definitely be a turbo, probably early morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

11-18!!!! I didnt know such a ratio existed! What bike was this on and what are the front rings? Proper hills cant have been easy on something like that if you are on a standard 39 up front!

11-18 is a typo surely:confused:

11-18 is a typo surely:confused:

Indeed it is :P:P Sorry for the confusion, 11-28 was what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

ah right, makes more sense you being a wuss. 28 bah! do you need stabilisers too?? :p

Bambaata wrote: »
    ah right, makes more sense you being a wuss. 28 bah! do you need stabilisers too?? :p

HA! Look here, I am a little more informed now and if I was buying again I would be telling them to get that 11-28 off! 2 yeas ago that did not even cross my mind! I'll show you who's a wuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bambaata wrote: »

He rides a compact too... :rolleyes:

Is it really almost a week since last update! :rolleyes:

Well I ain't back dating. Last week went fine, I had my first turbo and that really was a timely reminder of what is ahead of me (I had forgotten almost!)
    My long cycle and long run at the weekend were a struggle and I am glad to be having a recovery week currently.

Tuesday 20th Nov

Easy Run

The instruction this evening was to include some drills so after 10 min or so I stopped and did my drills and loosedning exercises. I feltbrand new after! Running just felt that bit easier and I was enjoying it. I will endevour to include drills in all my runs, time management is the key here. Actually I must service the treadmil because this would help the process-10min on the mill and then drills and out for my run.

Time 37:35; 7.98km; Pace 4:43min/km; HR 147;

I have entered the Jingle Bells race on Saturday week. I wasn't sure if I would do it as I am not in PB form currently (18:14) but the coach convinced me. He just told me to forget times and numbers and just do it for fun :) I intend to. I actually just realised that because of injury this year I have done no road races :( That is a shame as I had planned 4 and it was my first love (when it comes to individual sports) How did I even get to do any tri's this year!

Tomorrow is a big day! After selling a bike (since stolen), an XBox and many other items I am finally getting my PM in B2R tomorrow :):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emmk

SO I am new to boards and have been flicking through your almost blog.
    Are you going to Turkey and fulfilling your Euro Dreams? ;)
    You may have mentioned it but forgive me if I havent read it all.

emmk wrote: »
    SO I am new to boards and have been flicking through your almost blog.
    Are you going to Turkey and fulfilling your Euro Dreams? ;)
    You may have mentioned it but forgive me if I havent read it all.

I dare not to mention it and haven't in a while because I'm afraid I'll be struck down with an injury if I do :) TBH I haven't even applied for a spot, going to wait until Feb to make a decision on it. I have always said that I won't be doing any AG stuff unless I really think I have a shot at an AG podium. If I remain fit and healthy then I have a chance, so I will make a decision in Feb. I actually did the qualification race for the ITU AG Worlds in London and got my spot so I accepted it :)

Weds 21st Nov

Swim

A nice easy session where I kept my focus on tech. Alternating fist and swim, I really do feel this helps and my last two 100 swims were faster for less RPE which is what I am lead to believe all this swimming lark is about :) Ave Pace 1:50/100.

PM got and installed this afternoon too :)

22nd Nov

Easy Bike

First bike session with power :) Nothing exciting to test myself but that is close...very close :) I was so tempted to see what I could do but patience...as I say-it's coming :) So the new data/numbers don't mean much to me right now...still haven't got around to reading Training And Racing...., it will be Christmas.

Time 1:00; Dist 28.13km; Speed 28.1km/h; HR 129; Cad 89; Work 801kj; Pwr Bal 51.6/48.4% Power Ave 222;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Thanks lads, I have Training and Racing for a few months now! I'll get around to it over Christmas. TBH I do know what the various scores and stuff are from internet searches and Training Peaks. Thanks for the offer Courdelion.

Fri 23rd Nov

Swim

After the WU and some drill work I had 300sw x2; 200p x2; 100sw x3;

300's: 5:13 (1:44/100); 5:17 (1:45/100)
    200's: 3:29 (1:44/100); 3:27 (1:43/100)
    100's: 1:42; 1:44; 1:41;

Time 50min; Dist 2,300; Ave Pace 1:45/100m; Ave Eff 38; Ave SWOLF 77; Ave Strks/Length 24;

Sat 24 Nov

Bike
    Long Easy Bike

Got out for this with a mate at 1pm and although foggy the roads had at least thawed. Easy spin and the HR of 127 would be the lower limit of easy zone. An ave speed of 26.2km/hr was slow :/ I will be glad to have power zones to train in next week, no more guessing and no more wondering and no more hiding! Not that I was today, I felt I put a bit of work in. All the power based numbers below won't mean a thing really until I know my FTP and use that as some of the numbers below depend on it.

Time 2:40; Dist 69.9km; 26.2km; Elevation Gain 314m; Work 1805kj; Power Ave/Max/NP 188/598/209watts; Cad 87;

Looking at avg pace will be a thing of the past, a pretty meaningless metric when you have power to ride with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Looking at avg pace will be a thing of the past, a pretty meaningless metric when you have power to ride with.

Totally meaningless, and HR becomes rather meaningless too.

However as can be seen from a comparison in the numbers - zeroing your PM is essential and very meaningful though.

tunney wrote: »
    Totally meaningless, and HR becomes rather meaningless too.

However as can be seen from a comparison in the numbers - zeroing your PM is essential and very meaningful though.

Most pm's out on the market place now have auto zero built in i would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Most pm's out on the market place now have auto zero built in i would have thought

Helps if you asked "did you zero it before" the other day :)

Sun 25th Nov

Run LER

It was late when I got this done, dark and pissing rain. I did 9min WU and some drills and then into an hour easy. I started too eagerly and faded towards the end. I actually enjoyed being out in the rain and getting it done. I need to get back to my positive way of thinking so the big positive for me is that I have 5 weeks done, I have not missed a session in two weeks-another few weeks of that and I will be doing well and I will be well on my way to where I was in the second quarter of this year :)

Time 1:10; Dist 14.7km; Pace 4:42/km; HR 150;

• Advertisement

Whenever I seem to be just getting going/thinking positive or making future plans....somethings happens....

Mon 26th Nov

Swim
    400TT, 100TT, 50TT

Session abandoned this morning. Did my best but I just had no energy. I suppose since Fri/Sat it started with sneezing quite a bit, then by yesterday coughing up crap from my chest. This morning, headache, muscle aches and pains and still coughing crap up. I said I'd get up and see how I am, thought once warmed up I might be grand. Writing on the wall when I just could not descend the 4x 50 des. They were something like this: 50, 48, 49 and my last I really tried to up it but fell flat...50sec. No point continuing, a 400TT could have been dangerous. So I decided to get out and start my recovery, lemons, honey etc... Definitely right call.

So this was to be a big week. Normally I like testing week as you get to find out were you are, put down some benchmarks. I had not been looking forward to this one and I could not understand why. I now know I was coming down with this bug.

It's fine though, take 2/3 days off and build up again no biggie. No biggie when compared to injury and real life problems.

Advertisement