Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

No biggie when compared to injury and real life problems.

QFT - You are a great man for the 'bigger picture' outlook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Well I am back at it I am glad to say. 10 days off due to a bug/cold, just as I had got back in the swing :mad: Anyway all cool now and 100% over it. Last week from Weds I started doing a few easy sessions.

Mon 10th Dec

Swim

The was 300/200/100 swim and pull and I did not pay much attention to the numbers I was just glad to be back splashing around :)

Time 0:50; Dist 2,200m;

Tues 11th Dec

Run
    Easy 30min

I preceded this run with 10min easy WU on the treadmill and then stretches and drills. This adds about 20-25min to the workout but it is worth it IMO and I will be trying to do this as much as I can. When I went out to do the 30 mins I knew I should have stayed on the treadmill, it was dangerous enough but I enjoyed it big time. Didn't really worry about HR and went by feel and concentrated on good form.

Time 40min; Dist 8.8k; Pace 4:50/km; HR 154; Cad 84rpm;

Weds 12th Dec

Easy Bike
    2hrs Easy

On Weds we have a half day in school, new timetable this year (don't worry you public sec haters out there we are doing more hours than ever;)!) I always use this time to do some work/prep but as I am gone this weekend coming I was glad to see a 2hr midweek spin on the menu. I was determined to get out of school and be on my bike for 2pm, this of course did not happen but I was out at 2 and on my bike for 3pm. The road's were well thawed as it had begun raining. Still determined to get out on the road for this one I stuck the lights on and off I went. Although dark and raining it was oh so good to be out on the road :) It was difficult to keep the HR down and it check.

Time 2:08; Dist 52.72km; Speed 25.4km/hr; Power 160W; NP 174W; Cad 89;

Glad to be back at it. I was supposed to be testing two weeks ago and have my proper power/HR zones by now, this really bugged me at first because I knew it would be after christmas when I'd get to do it. Anyway I am happy now and I've just let it go and all I am concentrating on now is consistency and getting a few weeks of it too. The weight has only gone up a tiny bit although BF% has had a little jump :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Some testing next week then? A nice way to build an appetite for the turkey :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Some testing next week then? A nice way to build an appetite for the turkey :D

Hi P, no testing this week, things took a turn so hardly any training done at all! Just a couple of 20min runs. It is a pain, I will be glad when 2012 is over and I can look forward to some consistency finally.

Who know's I may even fit in a swim and run today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi El D! Hope you've had a nice holiday and are staying healthy.....and hope you're getting in a few swim sessions. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks DD, I hope you had a great Christmas and wishing you a wonderful new year!

2012 Wrap up

Discipline|2011(km)|2012(km)

Swim|275|294|
    Bike|4,503|3,965|
    Run|1,630|1,020|

So swimming up but I should have made it to 300km, biking down and again I should have made it to 4,000km and running significantly down.

What I would love for 2013 is something like:

Swim: 364km (7km on ave per week)
    Bike: 5,200km (100km on ave per week)
    Run: 1,800km (35km on ave per week)

So the above all depends (injury/illness), these are my hopes and hope is very important. If I do get a good run at it then the above target should not be too difficult given the weekly averages.

Well Christmas lovely, peaceful and it was great catching up with friends and family. No training bar a 20min Christmas jog was achieved due to a relapse into my early Dec illness. Over it now but minding myself very carefully.

This week got off poorly as I left it too late to run, I thought I had my head torch and lights with me but I didn't so planned run not done. Tuesday saw the first of the new year and I started positvely with a 25min run. On Weds another 30min run and 1hr turbo easy. Yesterday my first swim session in over a month :o and it showed (very scary) and a power based turbo (my first), on paper it seemed fine but it was tough but very manageable. This morning a swim and already it is coming back to me, bumped into Macanri (apologised and he accepted ;))

So back at it and feeling good. Weight up and BF up but not too bad. Looking forward to a great year. Times and placing do not mean as much to me anymore, what is important now to me is being able to train and if that means being super cautious for a long while then I am happy with that. I would love an injury free year and therefore consistency. I just miss being fit and healthy.

As for races well I have 3 penciled in to take me up to St. Patricks weekend: Tuam AC 8k 20th Jan, Connemarra Duathlon 23rd Feb and MSB 5k 16th March. I will then make a definite decision on Turkey but TBH that seems to be gone now....doing Turkey was always pinned on me feeling that I was an AG medal contender, hence giving myself 2 years but I have lost the last 6 months. Not to worry though...I have a plan B :)

To everybody wishing ye a happy new year and good health.

Fri 4th Jan

Run
    Easy Run

This included some build work also. I did 5min on the treadmill and then stretches and some drills before actually doing the session. So that took 20/25min all in all which is grand and I 100% feel the benefits during the run but it won't always be feasible. Enjoyed the run itself, still slow but still not concerning myself with numbers.

Time 35min; Dsit 7.5km; Ave Pace 5:20/km; HR 150; Cad 85rpm

Over the weekend I got in a horrible 2hrs spin to Roscommon and back. A very strong headwind really made me suffer but at least I got it done before the rain. On Sunday I got a 1hr easy run done, 11.5km covered.

A decent first week done, roughly 8hrs.

Mon 7th Jan

Swim
    NAC LC

Felt a bit better in the water today, still slow as fvck but I actually dont care, all my focus is on tweaking and improving my tech, I'm confident that the rest will come. Find splits here

Run Easy

Same focuses as the past week, this time kept an eye on cadence as well, usually 83 but averaged 85 this evening. Miserable day out there.

Time 40min; Dist 7.7km; Pace 5:12/km; HR 151; Cad 85

On Tuesday I set up the bike on the turbo, got kitted out and then could not find my bike shoe :mad: Left them at home at the weekend :mad: So no biking this week at all until I get home on Sat and I can then do my long spin at least.

Swim session done on Weds and this morning and run done yesterday. 45min easy, running is slowly beginning to feel better. More detail below on this mornings swim:

Fri 11th Feb

Swim
    NAC LC

The alarm went off and while still in bed I had a look at what the session was. Ha, a little tester I see, at least I'll get an idea of where I am at. 5x200 mod hard followed by 4x50 fast off 60. I know when going well last year these would have been close to 3:20 and the fast 50's all under 42. This morning:
    3:26; 3:33; 3:32; 3:35; 3:37
    followed by the 50's:
    43; 47; 51; 51.

So there you have it, that's were I'm at. Not disappointed at all, I was expecting worse. Hopefully will pick up some pointers with a session with my coach tomorrow.

Fri Eve 11th Jan

Run
    Interval Run

Another good session to see where I'm at. Looking at the number they are certainly woeful, but again, I'm not disappointed, on the contrary, it is nice to know where I'm at. Now the only way is up :) The fourth rep was up hill for a good bit and that killed me and wiped me out for the 5th as I hadn't recovered sufficiently. Splits here

Sat Morn 12th Jan

Bike
    Turbo

Up early for this, set up the turbo last night so just hopped on. Forgot to transfer over the cadence senor so just went with the turbo's computer and cadence. Felt like a slog tbh but then again I haven't been on the TT for a few months now. Good to get a turbo in this week though.

Time: 1hr; Dist 26.5km; HR 131; Cad 91

• Advertisement

Sun 13th Jan

Bike

We had American cousins over this weekend so my best laid plans were bound to be scuppered...and they were. It was 2am Sat night when I got to finally hit the pillow. The plan was an early start to get in my 3hrs spin, tbh I had been dreading this all week as I just do not feel up to 3hr spins yet. Why? No confidence on the bike. Why? I am not comfortable and feel my fit is off, so 3hrs of that would be torture and perhaps detrimental. So no early start, instead I was only up when I meant to be returning from my cycle! I was helping with breakie and it was 3:30 when I eventually got out. As it happened I enjoyed my first bike session since god knows when :) Number still crap but enjoyment and getting out there is all that matter to me right now and for the foreseeable future. File

Mon 14th Jan

Gym

Some core stability work. These ain't easy and I have let my core go to sh1t :(

Run Easy 35min

Both hamstrings a bit stiff after yesterday's cycle which further leads me to believe that my bike position is not 100%. I will be addressing tis in the next week or so I hope. On the bright side, nice to see an easy run come in under 5min pace and my cadence actually was actually 87 and I wasn't even thinking about it. Green shoots?? Maybe. I need some positives :)

Time 35min; Dist 7km; Pace 4:48min/km; HR 151; Cad 87;

Tues 15th Jan

Swim

Focused mainly on the drills. Hamstrings still sore and also the left wrist pretty sore. During the 300's (messed up the timing of the first) I felt okay but still miles off where I'd like to be. The same can be said of the 100's, I felt better last week in the pool. But, that's cool, I feel sore and stiff but no biggie at all and I now feel I am getting some consistency finally-if I got 2/3 months of it I'd in a good place me thinks :)

Bike

45min easy on the bike. I wanted to get out for this but I feel I really need to learn to love my turbo once again, so I opted for the it. It actually was enjoyable :) Still concentrating on just getting sessions done and enjoying them so still the number are not bothering me :) That will come in time I'm sure but for now I'm happy. File.

I am literally taking one day at a time. Not even that, I'm taking each aspect of training bit by bit. So, what does that mean? It means I am now looking no further than the next session or next meal. In the morning it's the morning session, once done I concentrate on breakie, the 10:45am snack, lunch. 3:50 snack and only then beginning to allow myself to think about the evening training session. Then dinner...and so on. I am finding this is helping me to get back in the habit and staying in the moment...and guess what? Enjoying training :)

This Sunday will see me line up for my first road race in 13 months :eek: I entered 4 last year and did not make the start line for any of them, that really saddened me :( Why? Well I guess after team sports (soccer, football and basketball) running was my first love. I am entering the same four races this year and first up is Tuam AC 8k this Sunday. I will be the one with a smile on my face :) I'm so looking forward to it :) My plan will be to even pace it. I won't be getting carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was going to enter Tuam myself but a 40th of a good friend who swore he wasn't having a party is now being forced by his missus to have one the night before so I will keep my powder dry for the Tri Lakes duathlon the following week instead.

I reckon your secret Tri Lakes nemesis should be turning up in Tuam though

catweazle wrote: »
    I was going to enter Tuam myself but a 40th of a good friend who swore he wasn't having a party is now being forced by his missus to have one the night before so I will keep my powder dry for the Tri Lakes duathlon the following week instead.

I reckon your secret Tri Lakes nemesis should be turning up in Tuam though

That's a pity dude! Will you be doing Connemara Duathlon in Feb?

Now you can't make a statement like that and not tell me who I need to be looking out for?? :)

I had a swim and a run yesterday. Swim entailed mod hard 200's x5, same as last Friday. For some reason I was way off Friday mornings times, not sure why but not dwelling on it. I had a 40min run in the evening, it was horrible out so did this on the treadie.

This evening saw my first BG work of the winter, a couple of months behind schedule but I am glad to be doing these now. Enjoyable session. I forgot how much I loved these sessions as it's been so long :) Felt grand, no problem grinding out the BG's :)

Good week so far :)

Fri 18th Jan

Swim

Forgot the garmin but not really needed so didn't double back. A different WU and fast kick set so interesting. It's been 2 years since I did a fast kick set but I enjoyed it. B&B I always enjoy for some reason. Good session.

Run

Awful out once again so treadie time. One advantage of the treadmill is you can really focus on your form, IMO anyway. So I felt it was 35min of focused running. As always I liked the steady/mod hard bits. Feeling decent enough now when it comes to running.

Time 0:35; Dist 7.5km; Pace 4:45/km; HR 147;

Sat 19th Jan

Bike

With the miserable weather outside I decided to hop on the turbo for the two hours. I thought if I can get through and feel okay at the end then I can start to feel a little better about my biking, have a little more confidence and if not crippled then perhaps my recent doubts about my position on the bike are ill-found. This was a 2hr easy session and thats exactly what it was but I did throw in 2x20@steady just to test the waters and break up the boredom. Although drenched in sweat after I felt good. Strong. Better than I have in quite some time. I think I will be watching more MTV Dance during sessions anymore as it really helps get through 2hrs on the turbo. Numbers are actually looking better too, a new max power for 20mins (215W) apparently as well :) File here

Looking forward to tomorrow's 8k. My big aim is to soak it up and enjoy it and have a smile on my face no matter what the weather! I will cap my HR at 182bpm, if it hits that (it shouldn't) then I'll back off and I will cap pace at no faster than 3:50min/km (imagine the 910xt does not have pace alerts :eek:). So an even paced run will do nicely thank you very much but that will of course depend on conditions and the route.

How'd the 8k go?

You doing an FTP test soon?

@P Gibbo

I'm sure testing my FTP is just around the corner tbh :o
    Tuam AC 8km

picture.php?albumid=2165&pictureid=14425

A beautiful morning greeted me when I awoke, chilly but Spring was certainly in the air :)

Warm Up

This was a good WU with my running mate from home. 10 min easy, 5x30 build, 30 easy then I picked 6 drills and did each twice as in 20sec drill, 20sec easy - for future ref 15sec drill is probably enough. Then a couple of mins jog back to the club house - change into dry gear, stretches and I was set.

The Race

I wanted to pace this sensibly and just enjoy being part of a race. As we lined up we were all tightly bunched...it was nice and cosy :) It made for a frantic start though and I made sure to keep out of trouble. First km done in what I thought was sensible - 3:55min pace, as it happened this was the easiest part of the course. It got pretty 'draggy' after that and there was a good 3k totally exposed to the bitterly cold headwind. Pacing this was difficult, just going on feel really as I had absolutely no idea what kind of time I'd do. Ended up with 34:09 and 101 place. File

I did an 8 min or so cool down, meant to do 15min but I was freezing and needed a hot shower. There was no hot shower :(

Positives: I made the start line :); I now know where I am and how far I have to go; I really enjoyed it; I'm good at using results like this to motivate me

Negatives: I thought I'd do a bit better :); Felt very heavy; Not nice watching lads in GAA shorts and socks strolling by :)

So a long way to go. I'd like to think by Aug and the Streets of Galway 8k that I'd be close to sub 30. I have a soft 8k PB of 32:20 from Jan 2010.

Mon 21st Jan

Swim
    NAC LC

A nice session for the day after a race. Body felt grand, sluggish in the water but tried hard to focus and keep good form.

In other news....

Bought one of these on a whim second hand for more than half the price over on the cycling forum :rolleyes: Two big weaknesses of mine are core stability and bike handling, using these 2/3 times a week for 15-45 min should help with those weaknesses. Might use them as a run or bike WU or as active recovery. Watch this space for all the fun.....epic fail

The price for London ITU AG Champs is a jaw dropping €232 for Oly dist and €220 for Sprint :eek: So now I have to reconsider my A race for that time of the year. Disgusted.

Nice to have the first race of the year under your belt. It's a starting point. Hopefully we can finally go head to head at the SoG this year.

That's crazy money for London. Are they usually that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Aparently same race was 87stg last year. Some premium for World Champs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The price for London ITU AG Champs is a jaw dropping €232 for Oly dist and €220 for Sprint eek.png So now I have to reconsider my A race for that time of the year. Disgusted.

That's horrendous. How on earth can they justify those prices?

Good to see you back training and enjoying it.

***EDIT*** Website says prices haven't been finalised yet? - http://london.triathlon.org/entry_info/age_group_world_champs/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

That's horrendous. How on earth can they justify those prices?

Because people will pay it.

@P Gibbo H2H at the SoG...I like the sounds of it! The ETU AG Champs in Athlone 2010 - 90eur, ITU AG Budapest 2010 90eur. Basically I did Budapest (flights incl bike each way, accommodation, race entry) for 250eur.

@couerdelion thanks dude, good to be back - mentally as well as physically. TI e mailed the prices to us yesterday. That page has not been updated I assume.

@tunney you are right. You have to draw the line somewhere. So as much as I'd like to do it I'm out although there is a chance I will still do it for reasons I do not want to mention here :)

Tuesday 22nd JAN

Gym Core Stability and flexibility work

About 70 min of this. Finally getting to grips with the core stability exercises. They take serious focus and proper form. I actually like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Crazy prices for an OLY distance race, makes IM branded races look like good value!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

So as much as I'd like to do it I'm out although there is a chance I will still do it for reasons I do not want to mention here :)

Lol down on one knee to Linda after the race - or beforehand and a weekend away to celebrate. Bike brought over by a mate the week before perhaps.

Might do Connemara if I can get my hands on the uncles pad out there, Castlehackett this weekend is not the place to find out how the running is going as you cant judge your average pace off that route. I would prefer somewhere flat so Connemara might fit the bill, plus i have been promising to support Trisport in one of their races for years and haven't done it yet :o

@catweazle lol you are the funny man alright. Re the Connemara duathlon - I'll just stay at the sisters house in Salthill on the morning. So it's a flat enough course then? If so that'll suit me just fine :)

Got an easy 1hr spin in today and a 30min run easy. Easy as they were the body is feeling the effects of Sunday. The 1hr bike in particular, by the time the run came around though I was feeling better. Tunes on, no watch (bat dead) and enjoyed my very chilly run :)

I have had a good week in general since my last post in general. Swimming is really slow in coming back to me. It's a bit mystifying actually. My 5x200 @mod hard two weeks ago were not far off where I was during last summer. However since then I have had two sessions with the same main set and I am 20+sec off where I was two weeks ago. I just feel slow and not dynamic in the water.

On the plus side running is definitely coming back, HR is not so fast to climb and the body does not really get sore.

3 good bike sessions this week.

Today 2.5hr turbo

Up early to get this one in as it was a busy day. Really took me 15 min or so to get going, I just shook myself out of the 'going through the motions' mode, hit lap and didn't look back. for 2hr+ turbos I find I need good dance/music with a base and good beat in the last hour. Thankfully Linda got up with about 55min remaining so I cranked it up :) Feeling better about my long cycles now and two decent back to back bike weeks which has not happend in a long time.

Well after tomorrow I will have put down 4 weeks. About as consistent as I have been since June 2012 :rolleyes: The main thing is the now and right now things are grand. Number even look okay, not setting the worl on fire, far from indeed but at least they are improving. This time of year I guess the important thing is the km's and consistency. I set myself a little goal at the beginning of the year of a yearly ave in 2013 of:

Swim 7km/week
    Bike 100km/week
    Run 35km/week

So after four weeks how is it looking?

Swim 27.5km (6.9km) so pretty much bang on. This week was 7k bang on, biggest so far.
    Bike 372.71km (93.2km/week) so just below but the weekly volume is creeping up. This week was 122km, biggest so far.
    Run 127.36km (31.9km/week) again just below the mark. This week was (will be after tomorrow) 42.5km, again, biggest so far.

I was of course expecting the above trend i.e. to be just under my weekly ave target in Jan. I'm don't actually care that much tbh, all that matters to me is that I am able to train. I mean the above numbers are tiny really but still not bad either for the month of Jan, I'd be delighted if it just keeps this way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nice work there El D! :) Don't fret too much about feeling slow and not dynamic in the water - swimming's a different ball of wax that requires many moving parts to work well together to feel good. It'll come back to you on a consistent basis - no worries.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Nice work there El D! :) Don't fret too much about feeling slow and not dynamic in the water - swimming's a different ball of wax that requires many moving parts to work well together to feel good. It'll come back to you on a consistent basis - no worries.

Cheers DD. You are correct. "Keep calm and carry on" will be my motto :) :cool:

• Advertisement

Sunday 27th Jan

Run
    LER

75 minute LER today, it's been a while since I did an LER actually so I was very interested to see how I go. I was hoping for a pace below 5min/km pace for low end of easy. Then I saw the weather and all bets were off-survival mode. funny enough had I got out when I planed (9am) with my LER mate I would have had beautiful running weather (if a bit on the chilly side). He cancelled ast night so I could not resist getting up to watch the Oz Open Final. Turned out to be a great final for 2hrs but Murray caved in the end and it was a bit of an anti climax. It howled outside and the hail was hitting the windows hard during the match. So I got out at 1:30 and was considering wearing my sunnies as the bloody sun was out now! :confused: Alas, it was only teasing me. 10min into the run and I was pulling on my Brooks Lite...bloody hail coming sideways at me. As this was my first LER in a while I went with the run/ walk 19:30/0:30 method. The first 20min I clipped along nicely, built into it. This section is flat and I had the wind at my back. Then for the next 2 20min reps it was hilly and face first into hail. I really felt good which totally surprised me. I felt my core was solid, definitely running better. After 55min though the form started to get worse. I just tried a bit and needed to really concentrate on keeping the core solid while relaxing every other part of my body. Overall a great, character building run. Numbers improving too.

Time 1:16:41; Dist 15.5km; Pace 4:50/km; HR 148; Cad 85;

A 45km run week for me :)

Advertisement