Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mazda 6 Z Sport or second hand BMW 520 (2010)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

As I've said, I'm a big champion of Mazdas, have owned a few & had them in the family. For a Golf TDi driver to diss them...myopic ill-conceived snobbery. Sorry...

I'm not sure I'd buy a top-of-range Z-Sport brand new though. It would have to be slightly used at least. I think top-of-range cars of most types are prone to depreciation etc. because of connection to much cheaper models in the range.

Actually a Mazda dealer i spoke to 6 months ago or so told me he couldn't get them because of jump in CO2/VRT and disruptions after the earthquake. Has that changed? What tax band are they in?

Re the 520d...I'm not sure, it's become the Avensis for the upwardly-mobile - the default choice. Personally I'd prefer the new A6. Maybe not quite as dynamically sharp as a BMW but just a nice cohesively designed car inside & out.

pburns praises Audi shocker - never thought I'd see the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

166man wrote: »
    I would be willing to place money that last year the BMW F10 5-Series outsold the Mazda 6 in Ireland anyway. Does that not make the BMW the common,white good?

I've already asked people to stop the arguing. Very few posts are helpful to the OP and are more about who has the bigger e-penis.

Next off topic post gets infracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Never much liked the E60 myself, but I can see the draw to the F10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

EPM wrote: »
    I've already asked people to stop the arguing. Very few posts are helpful to the OP and are more about who has the bigger e-penis.

Next off topic post gets infracted.

There's no arguing in my recent post at all EPM. A poster has made a statement in which I'm giving my opinion to. I don't see how it's off topic debating about the two cars to which the OP has asked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

ha the BMW haters make me laugh, the 5 series m sport is a beautiful looking car, you have the badge, pedigree, tradition, 50/50 weight distribution, great handling, beautiful interior, great hp considering the fuel efficiency & mpg on the 520d, ridiculously low road tax, and the prices are now so competitive, people who are looking at cars in this price range would be insane not to go for it, id assume thats the reason so many sell! also the new model wont be out for 5/6 years Id guess...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Idbatterim wrote: »
    ha the BMW haters make me laugh, the 5 series m sport is a beautiful looking car, you have the badge, pedigree, tradition, 50/50 weight distribution, great handling, beautiful interior, great hp considering the fuel efficiency & mpg on the 520d, ridiculously low road tax, and the prices are now so competitive, people who are looking at cars in this price range would be insane not to go for it, id assume thats the reason so many sell! also the new model wont be out for 5/6 years Id guess...

You're quite right!
    BMW sales 04-2011 are quite impressive given the 'state' of the nation. They've remained relatively steady which is crazy given lack of credit etc etc..
    People are obviously looking toward value, quality and some luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

pburns wrote: »
    As I've said, I'm a big champion of Mazdas, have owned a few & had them in the family. For a Golf TDi driver to diss them...myopic ill-conceived snobbery. Sorry...

I'm not sure I'd buy a top-of-range Z-Sport brand new though. It would have to be slightly used at least. I think top-of-range cars of most types are prone to depreciation etc. because of connection to much cheaper models in the range.

Actually a Mazda dealer i spoke to 6 months ago or so told me he couldn't get them because of jump in CO2/VRT and disruptions after the earthquake. Has that changed? What tax band are they in?

Re the 520d...I'm not sure, it's become the Avensis for the upwardly-mobile - the default choice. Personally I'd prefer the new A6. Maybe not quite as dynamically sharp as a BMW but just a nice cohesively designed car inside & out.

pburns praises Audi shocker - never thought I'd see the day...
    You raise a good point in here though, regarding the top of the range model in any range. Take a €42k 520d, it'll keep its value well. But take a fully loaded 535d and you're adding another €40k to the cost of the 520d. In 3 years time, a 535d is probably only about €5k more than a 520d with similar miles. €35k is a lot to spend on depreciation.
    Same goes for the Mazda. The 129bhp entry level 6 is good value, and will hold its value reasonably well, but you're paying €10k more for the Z-Sport, which will loose probably €7k of that over the entry model in 2 or 3 years. Therefore a 09 Z-Sport would be the one to get if you can find one, and save the money. That or else the 10 reg F10.
    But unless you're keeping the car for 10 years, then the used F10 makes more financial sense, assuming similar reliability from both. That leaves your choice down to how much you want a brand new car with a full warranty versus a used car with little warranty left. The differences between each car should be obvious to you if you've driven them, so make your choice and best of luck!

Advertisement