Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mazda 6 Z Sport or second hand BMW 520 (2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I already have. There's no prestige to owning a mazda. They will have zero resale value due to depreciation because noone wants one. They are a poor man's repmobile.

What do you mean by prestige? Mazda's aren't the worst for depreciation either and I'd like to think they are the smart mans rep mobile. They have good engines, look great, apparently drive well and are the best in class. Plenty of practicality too. Just because it doesn't have a premium badge on the front and soft interior plastics doesn't mean it's a bad car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

166man wrote: »
    What do you mean by prestige? Mazda's aren't the worst for depreciation either and I'd like to think they are the smart mans rep mobile. They have good engines, look great, apparently drive well and are the best in class. Plenty of practicality too. Just because it doesn't have a premium badge on the front and soft interior plastics doesn't mean it's a bad car...
    Prestige - meaning that sense of class/common appreciation/ the "wow" factor/badge appeal, that cars like BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar etc have.

Meaning that, as they are held as an aspirational car by the general psyche, they will not depreciate as bad as cars like say Mazda/Opel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Squall19 wrote: »
    Or buy a Mazda 6 MPS

Didn't they stop making them though? I don't think there ever was an MPS in the current model?

Anyway, the OP is looking for a €150 tax 50MPG diesel, not a €1,200 tax 20MPG petrol :p

Prestige - meaning that sense of class/common appreciation/ the "wow" factor/badge appeal, that cars like BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar etc have.

Meaning that, as they are held as an aspirational car by the general psyche, they will not depreciate as bad as cars like say Mazda/Opel etc.

I didn't know that a BMW with a four cylinder diesel engine and cheap leather was classed as having ''wow'' factor and prestige.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I didn't know that a BMW with a four cylinder diesel engine and cheap leather was classed as having ''wow'' factor and prestige.

Neither did I, until I remembered that this is Ireland, where all kinds of bottom of the range crap is seen as desirable, just look at what people think of poverty spec unreliable 1.4 VW Golfs!

How anyone even remotely interested in cars can say that a bottom of the range 520d is a better car than a 256 bhp four wheel drive Mazda 6 MPS is beyond me though:confused:! It must be the same kind of people who want Terenure moved from Dublin South Central to Dublin South East because of their "cultural affinity" to that constituency (basically snobbery). Of course something like a 535i is better than a 6 MPS, but a poverty spec 520d? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I dont think the vast majority of people would admire any mazda (bar an MX5) more than any BMW, so I think your comment "admire a 6 MPS more than a 520d any day" is the bizarrist comment of the year so far.

RX7, RX8, 3MPS, 6MPS - all much more fun cars to own than a 520d.

Fun very rarely gets boring, prestige does.

RX7, RX8, 3MPS, 6MPS - all much more fun cars to own than a 520d.

Fun very rarely gets boring, prestige does.

BOOM! Was waiting for you to comment on this thread, I'd like to add the Mazda 6 with the 2.2D(182) engine to the list...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Anyhow...this isn't helping the OP so back on topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

veetwin wrote: »
    The Japanese economy?

Why not ? we're already propping/are part of, the German one....time to spread The Love.........:)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

unkel wrote: »
    Didn't they stop making them though? I don't think there ever was an MPS in the current model?

True, no MPS with this model due to the chassis I think, I don't really know much about it after that. There will however be an MPS with the next model.

As 166 man mentioned, the 2.2D was a consolation for no MPS.

Also, if there was an MPS with the current model, it'd be €2,100 tax and 100 spg :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Peugeot engines, ford chasis, and the most miserable interior in their class :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

galwaytt wrote: »
    Why not ? we're already propping/are part of, the German one....time to spread The Love.........:)

Other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Peugeot engines
    in the 6? :o

Ford/Mazda shared chassis? Shur jag was mentioned here already as prestige, isn't that only ford/mazda/volvo under it all if you want to go this road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Peugeot engines, ford chasis, and the most miserable interior in their class :pac:

You couldn't be more ill-informed if you tried.

The Mazda 6 and the Ford Mondeo have nothing in common, and what's more they never had. Ford does make a Mondeo sized car that is based on the 6, but it's the US market Fusion, and with the forthcoming Mk5 Mondeo (which will also be called Fusion in the US) they will no longer have a Mondeo sized car with any oriental connections whatsoever.

The 6 never used Peugeot HDi engines (or Ford TDCi engines for that matter) either, and more's the pity they didn't, considering how troublesome Mazda's in house diesel is.

EPM wrote: »
    Anyhow...this isn't helping the OP so back on topic...

This tit for tat isn't helping the OP, feel free to use the OT thread however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I wouldnt own it no, I would sell it to someone mad enough to want a mazda.

To answer your other question, I currently drive a golf TDI and am planning to change this to an E60 520d/530d later this year...

So a Mazda is Jap tat but a VW TDI is an aspirational launch-pad to one of the 'prestige' German brands you champion :rolleyes:

With a handle like 'Max Power' it's rather ironic that you think a 520d is so much superior to a Mazda 6 MPS.:D:eek:

Maybe the Mazda 3 1.6D or the pick-up thing they do but not much link between Ford/Mazda cars otherwise as captainspeed points out.

I've had a few Mazdas and apart from the problems with the older 2.0D engines they are stupendously under-rated by the blinkered and the ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mayo01

Well folks, thanks for the replies.

I didn't expect to generate such debate.

I have driven both, the Mazda is the 2.2d 180bhp with the trimmings. I suppose I was looking for something a bit different but I take your points on the depreciation factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Op is it new or old 5 series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mayo01

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Op is it new or old 5 series?

New model, don't like the old

mayo01 wrote: »
    New model, don't like the old

In that case definitely the 520d. Far superior car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Cheap Leather?
    The Dakota leather fitted to UK/EIRE spec 5er is the same fitted to a 7 - a €100k car. Whilst its standard in RHD Euro Market its a €2,010 option in Germany still.

As for the 6 whilst its a fine car if it was my money I would run a mile! Its fine when a company is offering it to you but as a private buyer no way

2008 6's are online at c.€12,000 (top end)
    2008 520d's are online at c.€16500 (100k plus miles) or a decent buyable one at €22,000
    No contest!

A 184bhp 2.0d, 8ish to 60 car, classy interior. bluetooth standard and highish resale values?
    Buy a decent one from a BM dealer and get a 2yr warranty which is what is offered on a new one
    Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Wow, lots of crap on this thread since I was here last, particularly from "Golf man" Max Power! Here's a helpful hint - Golf TDi's are common, overrated and overpriced unexciting average-boxes for dullards with no interest in cars!
    Dissing Mazda? Good lad, it's great to pick a marque and get the paint brush out! The MPS is an excellent car. I was actually interested in an E60 530i at one point, up until I drove it... underwhelming to a large degree. The MPS would píss on it. So you can have your 520d...!

Anyway, back on topic - you drove both, which did you prefer?
    F10 5 series is nice alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

heate wrote: »
    Cheap Leather?
    The Dakota leather fitted to UK/EIRE spec 5er is the same fitted to a 7 - a €100k car. Whilst its standard in RHD Euro Market its a €2,010 option in Germany still.

As for the 6 whilst its a fine car if it was my money I would run a mile! Its fine when a company is offering it to you but as a private buyer no way

2008 520d's are online at c.€16500 (100k plus miles) or a decent buyable one at €22,000
    No contest!

A 184bhp 2.0d, 8ish to 60 car, classy interior. bluetooth standard and highish resale values?
    Buy a decent one from a BM dealer and get a 2yr warranty which is what is offered on a new one
    Simples
    The E60 entry leather option was a plasticy fake one. The real leather was a €1500 option. Dunno which is on the F10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

yes it was leatherette for less than €400. The OP wants an F10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Max, you seem very concerned about what other people think of you going by your emphasis on prestige, a nebulous and subjective variable if ever there was one. OP buy a car on its merits such as value for money, reliability, petformance etc.

heate wrote: »
    Cheap Leather?

No contest!

Simples

An uncle of mine has a '08 520d and got black ''leather'' in the interior. I think it cost about €1k and it really is poor quality leather. It's not soft at all and has a scratchy feel to it. Add to that the car was brought back to BMW due to the seams having come apart last year means I wouldn't call it good quality leather.

A car for me has to be exciting, good looking and not be as common as muck hence why I think it would be the Mazda for me even though I said earlier I would have the BMW. The BMW isn't exciting in any way, it's fcuk ugly and they are everywhere. Obviously the engine is a peach but not good enough to make me want one of those boring barges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Wow, lots of crap on this thread since I was here last, particularly from "Golf man" Max Power! Here's a helpful hint - Golf TDi's are common, overrated and overpriced unexciting average-boxes for dullards with no interest in cars! .
    Wow. Thanks for that.

Didnt realise differing opinions were not permitted.

Heres a helpful hint. Mazda cars are sh!tboxes from asia. Regardless of what their power is, at the end of the day you are buying a white good, with little to no residual value.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the F10 is a gorgeous car, paricularly in msport, wasnt sure if you were opting for F10 or E60, not much of a comparison between the E60 and that mazda, certainly none between mazda and F10.

From autotrader.co.uk 2010 520d SE
    Fuel consumption (urban) 49.6 mpg
    Fuel consumption (extra urban) 67.3 mpg
    Fuel consumption (combined) 58.9 mpg
    0 - 62 mph 8.1 seconds
    Top speed 141 mph
    Cylinders 4
    Valves 16 v
    Engine power 184 bhp
    Engine torque 280 lbs/ft

you could get that remapped to well over 200bhp!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201150435962420/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_2_years_old/fuel-type/diesel/model/5_series/make/bmw/page/7/radius/1501/postcode/bt39jp?logcode=p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Wow, lots of crap on this thread since I was here last, particularly from "Golf man" Max Power!
    Heres a helpful hint. Mazda cars are sh!tboxes from asia. Regardless of what their power is, at the end of the day you are buying a white good, with little to no residual value.

Drop the handbags lads.

• Advertisement

Wow. Thanks for that.

Didnt realise differing opinions were not permitted.

I would be willing to place money that last year the BMW F10 5-Series outsold the Mazda 6 in Ireland anyway. Does that not make the BMW the common,white good?

Advertisement