Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mazda 6 Z Sport or second hand BMW 520 (2010)

Options
  • 10-01-2012 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi folks.

I am considering buy a new Mazda 6 Z Sport but cannot decide if I shoudl buy a second hand BMW 520 instead? any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Get the beemer, no second thought needed ;)
    The two cars quoted are worlds apart imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mayo01

I know wht you are saying but woudl I not be better off to have a 2012 car than a 2010?

mayo01 wrote: »
    I know wht you are saying but woudl I not be better off to have a 2012 car than a 2010?

roflcopter.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Max Power1 wrote: »
    They're not worlds apart in fairness, but the Beemer is two classes up from the Mazda, so there is a large degree of difference.
    It'll be the older model 5-series in 2010 if that bothers you, but other than that, it depends on yourself really. The year means nothing, but if you like the peace of mind of a full 3 year warranty etc and having a new car over a nicer interior and more comfort and refinement then it's your choice. Only a test drive will reveal to you which you are happy to part the hard earned with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Not a huge difference but the 5 series is a bigger, more refined car. They may be ten a penny but for a very good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

The new Mazda will depreciate exponentially more than the 2010 BMW.

And its a Mazda.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It'll be the older model 5-series in 2010

Lots of 10 plate new model 5 series around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Most 2nd hand BMW dealer supplied cars come with a 2 year warranty as standard. So warranty is probably not the deal breaker element.
    Personally I'd prefer the BMW. I think it has more kerb appeal, probably a nicer drive, bigger, more comfortable. The difference in specification would be an interesting one, as in, what kit you're getting for your money.

As for the number plate, in 12 months time it's an old car anyway. A 3 year old BMW will look a hell of a lot more upmarket than a one year old Mazda.

How long are you planning on keep it? e.g. 5 years Another interesting thing to do would be to compare the potential depreciation of a 5 year old Mazda from new versus 7 year old BMW 5 from 2 years old, i.e. the values of newer car minus the value of the older car. You'd have to do your best to find similar specs but you get the idea.
    To me the Mazda 6 just looks like an unpopular rep mobeil. Sorry if that offends anyone but it's only my opinion so what does it matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Id actually go with neither.
    Its not just the initial cost, its the depreciation and running costs that matter.
    I reakon 2008 preferably a late one is the sweet spot on most cars for cost versus depreciation versus newness. Youve got a very new car for about a third of new.
    Older sports cars are ok too as they tend to balance it with lower miles and being looked after money no object.
    Id shoot for something like 08 5 series or A4 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mayo01 wrote: »
    Hi folks.

I am considering buy a new Mazda 6 Z Sport but cannot decide if I shoudl buy a second hand BMW 520 instead? any ideas?
    I assume you've driven both? If not then start there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Benny Cake wrote: »
    And its a Mazda.

And what's wrong with a Mazda? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Buy the Mazda and help save the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Buy the Mazda and help save the economy.

The Japanese economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Or buy a Mazda 6 MPS, you'll need alot more than a common 520i/d to match that:p

Mazda6_MPS_Rear.jpg?OpenElement

4WD, 268bhp, 0-60 6 seconds.

If you buy a 520i/d people will think your too cheap to buy a proper engined car.

170bhp, 1600kg and pay through the teeth for it, no thanks.

A bit of fun for your money no?

Squall19 wrote: »
    Or buy a Mazda 6 MPS, you'll need alot more than a common 520i/d to match that:p

[pic]

4WD, 268bhp, 0-60 6 seconds.

If you buy a 520i/d people will think your too cheap to buy a proper engined car.

170bhp, 1600kg and pay through the teeth for it, no thanks.

A bit of fun for your money no?
    Still, at the end of the day its a mazda.
    Wouldnt own one if you gave it to me for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Care to elaborate on the whole ''it's a Mazda'' arguement?

166man wrote: »
    Care to elaborate on the whole ''it's a Mazda'' arguement?

It will depreciate like a lead balloon for one. Also there is no prestige in owning a mazda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

It will depreciate like a lead balloon for one. Also there is no prestige in owning a mazda.
    When you can get a 08 model for 7-8k who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You wouldn't own a 6 MPS if it was given to you for free?

That's an extremely bizarre comment for me. What car do you drive now? Personally I'd admire a 6 MPS more than a 520d any day! Mazda 6 depreciation isn't the worst either.

BTW I'd probably go the the BMW if it had the 2 year warranty, but have a drive of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

There's no prestige in owning any car that you can see a skanger with his tracksuit pants tucked into his socks driving like a gimp. Audi, BMW, Merc, RangeRover, you'll see a skanger or worse driving it, usually a higher spec model than "prestigious" people with legitimate "prestigious" incomes can afford. :D 520d's are as common as muck man.

• Advertisement

They aren't that bad depreciation wise and the 520d is hardly the last word in prestige. It's a strange dilemma for the OP, and I myself would have the BMW but I still like Mazda's and think they're great cars.:)

gpf101 wrote: »

That's an extremely bizarre comment for me. What car do you drive now? Personally I'd admire a 6 MPS more than a 520d any day! Mazda 6 depreciation isn't the worst either.

BTW I'd probably go the the BMW if it had the 2 year warranty, but have a drive of both.
    I wouldnt own it no, I would sell it to someone mad enough to want a mazda.

To answer your other question, I currently drive a golf TDI and am planning to change this to an E60 520d/530d later this year. I guess thats two stereotype groups hit.

I dont think the vast majority of people would admire any mazda (bar an MX5) more than any BMW, so I think your comment "admire a 6 MPS more than a 520d any day" is the bizarrist comment of the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Homer

I dont think the vast majority of people would admire any mazda (bar an MX5) more than any BMW, so I think your comment "admire a 6 MPS more than a 520d any day" is the bizarrist comment of the year so far.

It's just his personal opinion :confused: hardly worthy of "bizarrest comment of the year" Jeez some people take Motors waaaay to seriously..

I wouldnt own it no, I would sell it to someone mad enough to want a mazda.

To answer your other question, I currently drive a golf TDI and am planning to change this to an E60 520d/530d later this year. I guess thats two stereotype groups hit.

You still haven't explained what your evident ''problem'' is with a Mazda? I most certainly would admire a Mazda 6 MPS driver a hell of a lot more than a 520d owner. I would only have the BMW if my annual mileage warranted it...

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Homer wrote: »
    It's just his personal opinion :confused: hardly worthy of "bizarrest comment of the year" Jeez some people take Motors waaaay to seriously..

I would have an MPS over a common as muck (cant afford the tax brigade) 520d any day of the week. I have an interest in cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

you need to go drive both. buying a car based on the plate or the badge is surely a recipe for disappointment. If you buy the BMW your inner plate snob will hate you, if you buy the Mazda your inner badge snob will hate you, so go drive them both, which ever one you like form your opinion sitting in and driving it ( not what you think other people will think of you in it ) - then go buy that.

166man wrote: »
    You still haven't explained what your evident ''problem'' is with a Mazda? I most certainly would admire a Mazda 6 MPS driver a hell of a lot more than a 520d owner. I would only have the BMW if my annual mileage warranted it...
    I already have. There's no prestige to owning a mazda. They will have zero resale value due to depreciation because noone wants one. They are a poor man's repmobile.

Homer wrote: »
    My comment was in retort to
    gpf101 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

I already have. There's no prestige to owning a mazda. They will have zero resale value due to depreciation because noone wants one. They are a poor man's repmobile.

Trade are giving abou 10k for an 08 520d bcause there is so many out there. Thats some depreciation

• Advertisement

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Trade are giving abou 10k for an 08 520d bcause there is so many out there. Thats some depreciation

Find me an 08 520d for 10k on sale in a dealer and I'll buy it tommorrow (once the spec is not paddy boggo cloth interior and manual gearbox) and also donate 25 Euro to a charity of your choice.

Advertisement