Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope giving out about those pesky gays again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dolan fought against gay marriage before it became legal in New York state last June, and in September he sent a letter to President Barack Obama criticizing his administration's decision not to support a federal ban on gay marriage.

In that letter Dolan, who holds the powerful post of president of the U.S. Bishops Conference, said such a policy could "precipitate a national conflict between church and state of enormous proportions."

F*cking bring it on....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

da pope wrote:
    Pope Benedict said Monday that gay marriage was one of several threats to the traditional family that undermined "the future of humanity itself."

How does that work exactly?
    Does he think that if the gays get married it will turn the rest of us gay and there will be no more hetros doing the wild thing, hence no bambinos to pass on the genes to?

At this stage, the man is clutching at straws and has become obsolete.
    Also, what the hell is he doing promoting hate?
    I mean, if you pick on a minority like this, all it will do is promote hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Thomas Eshuis

On the topic of abstinence and the church I am always reminded of this:

187952.jpg

Edit, can anyone tell me how I can get the picture in my comment, instead of the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Beruthiel wrote: »
    How does that work exactly?
    Does he think that if the gays get married it will turn the rest of us gay and there will be no more hetros doing the wild thing, hence no bambinos to pass on the genes to?
    Consequently, policies which undermine the family threaten human dignity and the future of humanity itself

So you see, by allowing more people (homosexuals) to have families, human dignity (the right to discriminate against homosexuals) will be threatened as well as the future of humanity (the Catholic Church) itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

God damned queers, taking our jobs, stealing our women!:mad::mad::mad:
    You go get them ratzo.

• Advertisement

Edit, can anyone tell me how I can get the picture in my comment, instead of the link?

linky in here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

linky in here
    Done for ya, Thomas Eshuis!

Dades wrote: »

Teach a man to fish Dades.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Teach a man to fish Dades.... :p
    You knew it was coming Beruthiel.:p
    Teach a man religion and he will starve himself to death praying for a fish.:D

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

someone tweeted this as a response to the article.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

Thanks Dades!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

demotivational-posters-the-pope.jpg

MetalDog wrote: »
    demotivational-posters-the-pope.jpg

But the pope is powerful in the dark side of the Force!
    187982.jpg

Can't seem to get the image thing to work. Could it be because I'm uploading from my HD?

Also these:
    187988.jpg
    187989.jpg
    And most especially this:
    187987.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Also these:
    Okay, take the full URL of the link in each of those attachments - in the case of the third one - and place it inside IMG tags... like this:

[HTML]187987.jpg[/HTML]

And hey presto your image will appear within your post.

187987.jpg

Now you can fish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

This sort of thing genuinely breaks my heart. I used to get frustrated by it, but now it just makes me downbeat.

I mean, he actually thinks (and therefore millions of his followers think) that me and my partner having equal civil rights would "undermine the family threaten human dignity and the future of humanity itself". I know it a cliche, but just look at the world: famine, war, economic turmoil, greed, corruption, etc. etc. Yet the leader of the "one true church" deems the chance of me having a fully-recognised and equal shared future with someone I love is the major worry.

I really, really wish they would just let me leave this disgusting organization already. Knowing they count me as one of their adherents makes my stomach turn.

gawker wrote: »
    I know it a cliche, but just look at the world: famine, war, economic turmoil, greed, corruption, etc. etc. Yet the leader of the "one true church" deems the chance of me having a fully-recognised and equal shared future with someone I love is the major worry.

But you're not getting it gawker.
    We can't be talking about god letting people starve to death just for the hell of it.
    Or why he kills people on a yearly basis with earthquakes and other natural disasters.
    So quick, look over there ---> at them durty gays ruining the world we live in.

Okay, take the full URL of the link in each of those attachments - in the case of the third one - and place it inside IMG tags... like this:

[HTML]187987.jpg[/HTML]And hey presto your image will appear within your post.

187987.jpg

Now you can fish. :)

Ah ok, I did not know I had to add the entire url. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dunno why he's so annoyed about gay people ruining the sanctity of marriage and family values, straight people have been fcuking those for up for YEARS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

188031.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Lol @ the unmarried members of a massive cult, that have no family, trying to tell people what they think is good for "the family". Coz "pride of place is the family" don't you know. As is "love your neighbour" etc.

Every time I read crap like this I feel I've stepped in dogma poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Gordon wrote: »
    Lol @ the unmarried members of a massive cult, that have no family, trying to tell people what they think is good for "the family". Coz "pride of place is the family" don't you know. As is "love your neighbour" etc.

Every time I read crap like this I feel I've stepped in dogma poo.
    The fist moment I can pinpoint in my journey away from the church was listening to a priest pontificate on how to raise children at age twelve, and thinking 'Why is he talking about this? He has no idea what he's talking about'. I guess I started thinking what else he might be lecturing on that he wasn't qualified to, and it went from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

lazygal wrote: »
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/09/us-pope-gay-idUSTRE8081RM20120109

Can anyone enlighten me as to how celibacy promote family values?

The family unit (Mother+Father+Kids) is fundamental for the educational process and for the development both of individuals and states; hence there is a need for policies which promote the family and aid social cohesion and dialogue.

As a social worker myself I can say (Religion and God aside) that those worst off in society many times come from failed families that have absent fathers or alcoholic ones.

The Pope in promoting the family unit is promotion the best environment for society and ideal that we should look to nurture. Each Child does need (if possible) a Mother and and a Father in their lifes. Its an ideal that helps, Of course there any many who turn out fine outside the normal family... But there are also many many more who don't. Not having a Father or a Mother (or sometimes both) present in a childs life does have negative effects...... This is not based on relgion but reality. Pope is stating the obvious..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I would have thought it was more important for children to have two supportive and loving parents than making it about gender. There's plenty of kids raised in two biological parent households that suffer terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

soterpisc wrote: »
    As a social worker myself I can say (Religion and God aside) that those worst off in society many times come from failed families that have absent fathers or alcoholic ones.

The Pope in promoting the family unit is promotion the best environment for society and ideal that we should look to nurture. Each Child does need (if possible) a Mother and and a Father in their lifes. Its an ideal that helps, Of course there any many who turn out fine outside the normal family... But there are also many many more who don't. Not having a Father or a Mother (or sometimes both) present in a childs life does have negative effects...... This is not based on relgion but reality. Pope is stating the obvious..

Bollocks.

I was raised by my gay mother. Many of my friends were raised by lone parents, or gay parents and all turned out the same, and the only people who ever judged us or said we'd have a hard life were funnily enough, Religious people!

Please stop spreading this complete nonsense that a child raised by a straight couple will be better off than any other child.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

and telling children of gay couples that gay marriage is a threat to humanity won't have a negative impact on those children?

where's he stating that absent fathers/mothers are also a threat?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Being a social worker, would you say that a mother and father would make better parents than two fathers? How many two-fathered families have you experienced in your profession incidentally?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If the pope is stating the obviously then I presume you can link us all to the studies that show that a family unit with 2 parents of the same sex has a negative effect on the children?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Bollocks.

I was raised by my gay mother. Many of my friends were raised by lone parents, or gay parents and all turned out the same, and the only people who ever judged us or said we'd have a hard life were funnily enough, Religious people!

Please stop spreading this complete nonsense that a child raised by a straight couple will be better off than any other child.

Congrats.. But the statics don't live up to your post. Those who society has most failed have first been failed by their families (or lack of). The Pope is promoting the family (Mother+Father+Kids) as the ideal best environment. there is nothing wrong with this.

• Advertisement

If the pope is stating the obviously then I presume you can link us all to the studies that show that a family unit with 2 parents of the same sex has a negative effect on the children?

Are they better than the natural family unit?

Advertisement