Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeper Challenge, 10/03/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

This route is plain dangerous in parts. Be careful. Especially if its wet. Also there are some very sharp hills to climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TwoGoal

Bike
    I recently did a bit of trial run. I used my Road Bike, not the wisest of decisons! My advice is to definitely use a hybrid bike because you will ruin your road bike. Once you turn off for the circuit around keeper hill the road deteriorates big time. Pot Holes, debris, stones, muck, grass, you name it. Plus I won't have to contend with clip in/off shoes on my hybrid either. There is one hill that it a nightmare. You either need to be a serious climber or have a Granny gear to get up. I'd say could be walking that one.

Transition
    I'm still not sure where the transition area is. Is it the main car park or smaller one? The reason I ask is that it is 14K up/ down from the samller car park (point B on the map).

Hike/Run
    Fairly tough too. Might try hike up and run down. Challenging especially when you get off the bike first.

I'm think a good time to do it in, for me, would be 3hr30mins. 1hr 32m for the bike, 1hr40m for the hike/run and another 14m for the last 6K on the bike.

Looking forward to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

TwoGoal wrote: »
    Bike
    I recently did a bit of trial run. I used my Road Bike, not the wisest of decisons! My advice is to definitely use a hybrid bike because you will ruin your road bike. Once you turn off for the circuit around keeper hill the road deteriorates big time. Pot Holes, debris, stones, muck, grass, you name it. Plus I won't have to contend with clip in/off shoes on my hybrid either. There is one hill that it a nightmare. You either need to be a serious climber or have a Granny gear to get up. I'd say could be walking that one.
    It is recommended you use a Hybrid bike. We have assurances that the potholes will be filled early next week. It should get rid of the any big ones, and the rest will be marked.
    We have a lead car sweeping the course for any major debris/stones on the morning of the event.
    As for the hill, its a bit*h. I normally cycle the route in reverse to avoid climbing it.

Transition
    I'm still not sure where the transition area is. Is it the main car park or smaller one? The reason I ask is that it is 14K up/ down from the samller car park (point B on the map).

We are using the equestrian centre at the entrance. It adds 500m to the original run.
    Hike/Run
    Fairly tough too. Might try hike up and run down. Challenging especially when you get off the bike first.

I'm think a good time to do it in, for me, would be 3hr30mins. 1hr 32m for the bike, 1hr40m for the hike/run and another 14m for the last 6K on the bike.

Looking forward to the event.

Thanks for your feedback, look forward to seeing you there.

I think that you might have miscalculated the distances if what you say is true, i.e. that the transition area is at the Equestrian Centre.

I used the GPS on my phone on the trial run and it is 17kM up/down from the main carpark beyond the Equestrian Centre i.e. using you map http://www.keeperchallenge.com/images/leg2.jpg, Going from P (Car Park) - Point A - Point C - Top of Mountain - Back Down to Point C - Back Down to Point A - Back down to P (Car Park), it is 17KM. If you extend that route to the equestrian centre, it adds approx 500 m on the leg going up and down i.e. 18KM.

Also, if you went from P - A - C - Top - C - B - A - P, i estimate that it would be even longer.

The only way that it is 14KM up/down is by running from the small carpark just beyond Point B - C - Top - C - B. Trust me, I also did this with GPS.

So you might clarify please.

Much Obliged!

+1 I agree, 14km is misleading.

I've been up and down Keeper a few times and its 13-14km from the small carpark just before the barrier. Its also a 500m ascent from here. If transition is in the equestrian center I believe thats takes the up and down trip to closer to 17km and you are covering closer to 600m ascent.

I too woul be obliged if there was clarification.

Also I really feel that there needs to be warning signs and a marshall on the most dangerous parts of the cycle: IE where there is a sharp drop off either side of the road

Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks

Distance:
    I'm dependent on what info I'm fed. I'll double check it and get back to you.

Marshals:
    We have over 50 marshals on the course on the day. with the support of 5 Civil Defence vehicles and 25 people.

I think that you might have miscalculated the distances if what you say is true, i.e. that the transition area is at the Equestrian Centre.

I used the GPS on my phone on the trial run and it is 17kM up/down from the main carpark beyond the Equestrian Centre i.e. using you map http://www.keeperchallenge.com/images/leg2.jpg, Going from P (Car Park) - Point A - Point C - Top of Mountain - Back Down to Point C - Back Down to Point A - Back down to P (Car Park), it is 17KM. If you extend that route to the equestrian centre, it adds approx 500 m on the leg going up and down i.e. 18KM.

Also, if you went from P - A - C - Top - C - B - A - P, i estimate that it would be even longer.

The only way that it is 14KM up/down is by running from the small carpark just beyond Point B - C - Top - C - B. Trust me, I also did this with GPS.

So you might clarify please.

Much Obliged!
    +1 I agree, 14km is misleading.

I've been up and down Keeper a few times and its 13-14km from the small carpark just before the barrier. Its also a 500m ascent from here. If transition is in the equestrian center I believe thats takes the up and down trip to closer to 17km and you are covering closer to 600m ascent.

I too woul be obliged if there was clarification.

Also I really feel that there needs to be warning signs and a marshall on the most dangerous parts of the cycle: IE where there is a sharp drop off either side of the road

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

if it is 18k instead of 14k from the equestrian centre- could we not have the turnaround point a bit further downhill from the summit, i don't know about everyone else but i've been training under the assumption that is is a 14k run, 18k I think would kill me, also i agree again with cycle, have done it twice in last 2 weeks and would strongly reccommend anyone that hasn't done cycle before the big day to DO IT once, some very dangerous points on cycle.
    Ki - could you please look into it, there's nothing worse than on the day of a race timing yourself and getting your splits for a certain distance and then realising half way through that it is infact 20mins longer than anticipated.

Again looking forward to race once everything id finalised
    Trig

ki wrote: »
    Hey Trig1

Thanks for you feedback, I'll double check the irishtriathlon.com but it is defo 14km - 7km up and 7km down.

We are adding to the completion pack everyday, and we have got a very good dri-fit/technical-shirt for each competitor.

ki

just quoting some previous feedback- 14k- 7 up and 7 down!!

Hi Ki
    Any more news on distances for run? also, after last transition getting back on bike to cycle back to town what happens with our runners- do we need to make it back to the equestrian centre again to collect runners?
    and lastly- where is finish and start?
    Thanks Trig

I confirmed with our race director that it is 14km.

• Advertisement

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi Ki
    Any more news on distances for run? also, after last transition getting back on bike to cycle back to town what happens with our runners- do we need to make it back to the equestrian centre again to collect runners?
    and lastly- where is finish and start?
    Thanks Trig

Hi Trig

we recommend that you carry everything you need with you including water. This is adventure challenge and you must be self-sufficient.

Thanks
    ki

So 14KM it is then...

Well if the transition area is at the Equestrian Centre, we won't be going to the top then, well maybe its 7KM as the crow flies, but I don't have a pair of wings! :)

So 14KM it is then...

Well if the transition area is at the Equestrian Centre, we won't be going to the top then, well maybe its 7KM as the crow flies, but I don't have a pair of wings! :)

You wouldn't be going quite to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jos37

hi ki, just want to make sure if its possible to register on saturday morning at the sign on. If so is it still 50euro? only have a laser card so cant pay by paypal. thanks.

jos37 wrote: »
    hi ki, just want to make sure if its possible to register on saturday morning at the sign on. If so is it still 50euro? only have a laser card so cant pay by paypal. thanks.

Hi jos37, yeah it is possible to register on the morning.
    And we have made the decision to keep it to 50/30 euro.

-> Registration will take place from 9am in St. Mary's Secondary School Gym.
    -> All participants are required to complete registration and pick up thier race number before 10:30.
    -> The event is starting at 11 am sharp.

The Gym is part of the school directly in front of you as you enter the town from the Limerick road.

Also we will not have Laser/Credit card facilities on the morning in the Gym. But there are 2 ATM available in the town(Centra/Daybreak), and the other shops in the town take laser and do cash back.

http://www.keeperchallenge.com

ki

do we need to bring anything on the morn of registration? paypal confirmation of entry or anything like that?

Your name and Email address!

great event- really enjoyed it, roads were hard going on bike, hill never ending- thought the summit would never come, 1hr12 for bike 1hr 48 for run 12 mins for last bike bit- found out after race it was ACTUALLY 18k run instead of 14k- that is my only complaint- should have been told proper distance before race!!
    Anyway it was enjoyable- roll on next year

• Registered Users Posts: 23 digazz

Great day, got the cycle in 1:10, but ended up walking up that hill. Keeper was a crawl going up felt like 18k just getting up tree. Walked most of the way up an ran down. Happy enough with my time. Got to the Finish in 3:47. Thanks to all the marshals and organisers. Will be back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liz_Gabbett

To all the race organisers, race marshalls, anyone who helped out, thank you for a great race. It was my first dip of my baby toe into adventure racing and i'll be back for more. You did a great job. Thank you! I would recommend it to anyone wanting to give it a go. I thought it was very good value, well organised, good route, decent goody bag and all in a good cause. Congratulations to Andree Walkin who won the the mini race out right. Until next year..

• Advertisement

Well done all the lads at Newport Rugby Club. A really good event for my first foray into this kind of stuff. Came home in 2:47 myself but that included going over the handlebars at the bottom of a descent and 2 further chain drops :mad: Thankfully the helmet did its job and I was probably lucky to come away with some grazing and whiplash. Helmet a write off but worth every penny I paid for it. Also 18km for the run!! Grrrr The bottle of water at the summit was like a treat though, thanks a mill for that.

More signs needed in advance to let locals know a race is on. I nearly ploughed into a man, a cart , his dog and 2 kids walking in tandem atthe back of Keeper :eek:

Thank you to all the marshalls who volunteered for this event, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Willow3340

I would just like to say congratulations to all the organisers for today's event. It was very well organised, the guys around the course were great dishing out the encouragement, a generous goody bag and tech t-shirt on completion. I competed in the mini challenge and found it very doable, it was my first adventure challenge. I am looking forward to next years event. I hope you raised a sizeable amount for Newport Rugby Club. Well done again to all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eswords

Hi just like to say what a great day out this event turned out to be, it was very well marshaled and organised. The use of the showers after was a godsend. The t shirt and goodie bag were spot on when you consider this was a fundraiser and as an inaugural event would have had a lot of overheads.Bring it on next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 green grass

Done the race yesterday and big thumbs up, I did three adventure races last year: Killarney, War Wicklow and the Sea to Summit in Westport and yesterday stood up to them. I thought the route yesterday was excellent. My only suggestions for next year would be to avoid the delay at the start of the race as people were getting cold and to have distance markers on the way up Keeper Hill. I had no problem paying €50 as it was a fundraiser. Did hear after wards that it was 9.5k to the top of Keeper Hill, did anyone clock the total run distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 digazz

When and where will the results be posted

digazz wrote: »
    When and where will the results be posted
    I am taking today off. I'll have all results times and a couple of hundred photo up tomorrow, on the website.
    I'll also post a link here too.
    Thanks for all the support yesterday.

Big thanks to Billy Harvey, who took pics around the place on Saturday.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001593851846&sk=photos

Done the race yesterday and big thumbs up, I did three adventure races last year: Killarney, War Wicklow and the Sea to Summit in Westport and yesterday stood up to them. I thought the route yesterday was excellent. My only suggestions for next year would be to avoid the delay at the start of the race as people were getting cold and to have distance markers on the way up Keeper Hill. I had no problem paying €50 as it was a fundraiser. Did hear after wards that it was 9.5k to the top of Keeper Hill, did anyone clock the total run distance?

I was Reliably informed yesterday, I think maybe by Ki himself... by the guy who was upstairs before the race talking about the green bands..that it was infact 18k.. looking at my time for run I reckon it was definitely 17-18k, either way it was great event- again i agree that km marks going up keeper would have been great

Trig1 wrote: »
    I was Reliably informed yesterday, I think maybe by Ki himself... by the guy who was upstairs before the race talking about the green bands..that it was infact 18k.. looking at my time for run I reckon it was definitely 17-18k, either way it was great event- again i agree that km marks going up keeper would have been great

Yeah, it was me in registration. And you are correct it was 18K.

We said it would be unfair to get you all to climb keeper hill and then not send you to the top, so we didn't pull the turning point down the hill
    I'll compile a full list of your recommendations and implement them next year.

but the km markers on the hill was an oversight.

Can I also say thanks to all competitors as we had minimal littering.
    The volunteers, who were out and abut the course.

I've put a list of the winners and times on the site, I'll get everyone's times up tomorrow.

And see the link above for the pic's

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Well done to Newport Rugby Club on organising this event. It was my third event since taking up Adventure Racing up last year. For an amateur event, in its first year, I think it went very well. I'd say numbers could definitely swell next year.

Compliments
    1. Good Goodie Bag and Tshirt
    2. Distance markers every 5K.
    3. Plenty of water points, especially at top.
    4. Plenty of marshalls.
    5. Hot showers and food
    Constructive Criticism
    1. Distance of run jumped from14K to 18K despite numerous posts here and eMails in relation to clarifying same. Very unfair especially on fist timers.
    2. Marshalls in pockets at transition points rather than spaced out.
    3. Left waiting about in cold for start.
    But defo well done!!! And a fantastic challenging course, defo competing with the more well known events around Ireland.

Now, whos on for www.hhar.ie?

Advertisement