Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeper Challenge, 10/03/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

ki wrote: »
    Hi All,

Keeper Challenge and Mini Keeper Challenge are taking place in Newport, Co. Tipperary.
    It is backed by North Tipp Sports Partnership.

For those of you who don't know where it is, Newport is 10 km from Limerick city, at the foot of Keeper Hill.
    http://www.keeperchallenge.com/location.htm

We are running 2 races, a full challenge and mini.
    http://www.keeperchallenge.com/course.htm

The mini is €30 and the Full is €50

www.keeperchallenge.com

You can enter on the site, via Paypal.

Thanks
    Ki

Also its our first year doing the event so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi ,
    Looks interesting, just had a look at the maps, is it really a 28km hike to keeper hill, the map you have up seems to indicate 14km??

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Hi ,
    Looks interesting, just had a look at the maps, is it really a 28km hike to keeper hill, the map you have up seems to indicate 14km??

Your right I've updated the site to reflect this.
    http://www.keeperchallenge.com/course.htm

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

how many are you expecting to take part:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Any chance of a garmin link to the bike route or post a map that you can zoom in on? Also which route is the hike/run part taking up Keeper?

e30fitz wrote: »
    how many are you expecting to take part:confused:

We are expecting 150 -200 for the main event and something similar for the mini

• Advertisement

Any chance of a garmin link to the bike route or post a map that you can zoom in on? Also which route is the hike/run part taking up Keeper?

Leg 1 = Bike(all paved road)

Leg 2 = Hike(Forestry Road up and down Keeper Hill)

Leg 3 = Bike from the base of Keeper Hill back to Newport.(all paved road again)

I'll see what I can get in the line of zoom-able maps.

Hi shotgunmcos,

If you click on the maps they open to almost full screen, hope that helps.

Thanks
    ki

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

I often cycle from Newport to the ballyhourigan (approx 6 miles) side of Keeper, hide the bike, and run to the top and cycle back home and it doesn't cost €50!!! Your elite route I have cycled twice and ran once in the last year. But in the oposite direction. Unless cycled before, some cyclists are in for a shock with the hills!!!

I also meet up with the IMRA guys to run Keeper. Which they run every couple of weeks on Wenesday nights.

I jsut don't think I could pay €50 for something I do off my own back for zero cost. I don't think I would pay more than €25.00 for it to be honest.

Also what would I get at the finish?? A good quality t-shirt,gels, flyers??? There isn't much detail on this.

baza1976 wrote: »
    Unless cycled before, some cyclists are in for a shock with the hills!!!

I also meet up with the IMRA guys to run Keeper. Which they run every couple of weeks on Wenesday nights.

Hey baza1976 how bad are the hills? What is the road surface like? Could you use a road bike or would you need fat tyres?

Do you run with the wednesday night gang often? I went out with them last week in Cratloe and it was an experience wit the head torch. Ballina this evening...

How long does it take to run up and down keeper approx?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I often cycle from Newport to the ballyhourigan (approx 6 miles) side of Keeper, hide the bike, and run to the top and cycle back home and it doesn't cost €50!!! Your elite route I have cycled twice and ran once in the last year. But in the oposite direction. Unless cycled before, some cyclists are in for a shock with the hills!!!

I jsut don't think I could pay €50 for something I do off my own back for zero cost. I don't think I would pay more than €25.00 for it to be honest.

Also what would I get at the finish?? A good quality t-shirt,gels, flyers??? There isn't much detail on this.

A race doesn't just involve a few hundred people turning and doing what you do. Go to one and see how much organization, insurance etc that is involved. Yes some organizers take the piss but not all.

• Advertisement

Hey baza1976 how bad are the hills? What is the road surface like? Could you use a road bike or would you need fat tyres?

Do you run with the wednesday night gang often? I went out with them last week in Cratloe and it was an experience wit the head torch. Ballina this evening...

How long does it take to run up and down keeper approx?

Hi MCOS,

Road bike is the way. Roads are ok in general. I think I have a thing on map my run that includes that route, will check later at home. there is one tough section of hills. I think you might know the whereabouts of it. If you head out past newport and before you head down that hill in to Silvermines, there is a sign "Keeper Drive"... About 2 milish down that road you will swithc over a river/stream and then begin to climb. this is where the hills will be toughest I would guess. But I suppose it will zap a bit out of you and the lesser hills will be tough too.... if that makes sense.

The last time I raced up and down Keeper it took just over the hour about 63 min if I remember correctly. You might know Curly, he did it on same day in around 45 (less than 50 i know for sure). When I'm running on my own with dog I do it in around 1:15 or less. I haven't run with the guys since before the Christmas. I have actuall only run 6 miles since 1st Jan. Few niggles that hampered me during 2011 that I want to sort out. I ran every night (except for Cratloe) from last feb up to about end of October then I started to miss the odd night and didn't do any in December.

A race doesn't just involve a few hundred people turning and doing what you do. Go to one and see how much organization, insurance etc that is involved. Yes some organizers take the piss but not all.

I must do that :rolleyes: I still think it could be done cheaper, thats just how I feel. my bad.

Thanks for your feedback,

We already have a good quality t-shirt sourced. Each week we are adding to the completion pack gels/drinks/etc.

We will look for a complete feedback from people and review the pricing for next year.

I would like to sate that, there is nobody making money out of this it is a fundraiser for Newport rugby club.

We have secured the Civil Defence as back up to our volunteers.

Also we have showers after the race for anyone who wishes to use them.

Good stuff. Will ye have a water station on Keeper?

We will have a water station at the transition, and we are working on a solution for the summit.

Note: it will be filling station, we are not providing bottled water on the course, to prevent littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

I have registered already for the race and am looking forward to it, hope t-shirts and completion pack are decent as it is a bit expensive, cycled the course the other day on a decent road bike and it's do-able but I wouldn't go using an expensive carbon bike or wheels- alot of potholes and one killer hill that keeps going and going (had to get off bike towards end of hill and walk and I am a decent biker),
    I'm reading in many different places that its an 18k hike and a 14k hike, could you please tell me which it is? Irishtriathlon.com says 18k, keeperchallenge.com says 14k (i'm praying its 14k -7k up and 7k down doesn't sound too bad)

Trig1 wrote: »
    I have registered already for the race and am looking forward to it, hope t-shirts and completion pack are decent as it is a bit expensive, cycled the course the other day on a decent road bike and it's do-able but I wouldn't go using an expensive carbon bike or wheels- alot of potholes and one killer hill that keeps going and going (had to get off bike towards end of hill and walk and I am a decent biker),
    I'm reading in many different places that its an 18k hike and a 14k hike, could you please tell me which it is? Irishtriathlon.com says 18k, keeperchallenge.com says 14k (i'm praying its 14k -7k up and 7k down doesn't sound too bad)

Hey Trig1

Thanks for you feedback, I'll double check the irishtriathlon.com but it is defo 14km - 7km up and 7km down.

We are adding to the completion pack everyday, and we have got a very good dri-fit/technical-shirt for each competitor.

ki

Hi Ki,
    Can you tell me where the race starts from, is it the cattle mart or the rugby club? is it a bunched cycle start? are we cycling back through town for the finish or just going straight back to the start

Hey Trig1

We finalised the details last night and I'll make the full announcement this evening(I've to do a days work first), I'll email all registered competitors, put it up on the website and post it here.

Ki

• Advertisement

Hi Ki,
    Can you tell me where the race starts from, is it the cattle mart or the rugby club? is it a bunched cycle start? are we cycling back through town for the finish or just going straight back to the start

Hi Trig1

I've updated the site with the information about the race.
    http://www.keeperchallenge.com/event.htm

Also added a FAQ section
    http://www.keeperchallenge.com/faq.htm

ki wrote: »
    Hey Trig1

We finalised the details last night and I'll make the full announcement this evening(I've to do a days work first), I'll email all registered competitors, put it up on the website and post it here.

Ki

Hi Ki
    Just wondering when competitors are being e-mailed, got no email yet and i was anxious in case there was something wrong with my registration, anyone else get email?

Hi Ki
    Just wondering when competitors are being e-mailed, got no email yet and i was anxious in case there was something wrong with my registration, anyone else get email?

Hi Trig1

I've a auto e mailer set up on the site but it seem not to want to work.
    PM your name and I'll confirm.
    I'll also get that email out manually.

Thanks
    ki

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jos37

as regards the run,what kind of terrain is it? what are the underfoot conditions like? would runners do or would one need trail shoes? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 guysmiley

Hi Ki, Do people need a one day Tri license for this event ?

jos37 wrote: »
    as regards the run,what kind of terrain is it? what are the underfoot conditions like? would runners do or would one need trail shoes? thanks

All the running is on gravel roads. You can easily use runners.

guysmiley wrote: »
    Hi Ki, Do people need a one day Tri license for this event ?

No, there is no need for a tri - license.
    (Excuse my ignorance but what is a tri - license?)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 guysmiley

For triathlons (not sure if for all) you either have to be a member of triathlon Ireland or else need to buy a one day licence which is about €15. Not 100% sure on all this though.

a tri-ireland license is basically insurance for the day, most of the duathlons and triathlons throughout the year will not allow you to race unless you have a tri-ireland year license(50 euro) or a one day license for the race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 jos37

thanks Ki, its good news that runners will do. suffered badly with blisters during the wild west run last sat. had old trail shoes on and now waiting for new ones to arrive.

Advertisement