Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callers to the Door

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

watch out for people selling knifes,

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Had similar trying to sell me knives in Ferrybank Tuesday evening, fecker nearly broke the glass in my front door he knocked so hard, frightened the bejesus out of me. What I really want to know is why have none of these people ever learned how to just use the door bell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Had similar trying to sell me knives in Ferrybank Tuesday evening, fecker nearly broke the glass in my front door he knocked so hard, frightened the bejesus out of me. What I really want to know is why have none of these people ever learned how to just use the door bell?
    People may ignore a bell. Hammering on a door gets a reaction.
    That way they know there is somebody home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doorbell may wake kids in bed, generally rule of thumb is that you knock in the evening. A lot of doorbells don't work so could be another reason why its skipped. Some houses have more than one bell!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Sully wrote: »
    Doorbell may wake kids in bed, generally rule of thumb is that you knock in the evening. A lot of doorbells don't work so could be another reason why its skipped. Some houses have more than one bell!

I learn something new everyday, that's a new "rule of thumb" to me. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I learn something new everyday, that's a new "rule of thumb" to me. Thank you.

You're very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

I had someone to my door the other day for a large animal charity in Dublin. Bit pushy which I would ignore, what really pi**ed me off was the complete lies he told me. I keep somewhat to date with animal welfare and he started with questions like do I know how many days a stray is kept before its put to sleep and it went from there. He was a bit shook when I knew the answers! My dog barked midway and he asked what kind of dog I had...as someone working for an animal charity I was a bit taken aback when he didn't know what a staffordshire bull terrier was! BUT the worst part was he tried to convince me that 10,000 dogs were put to sleep in Ireland last year and wait for it, 3,600 of these were in Waterford!! Particularly bad when the real figure is 59 between the City and County pounds. I was extremely annoyed over this. He actually spoke in a rude and nasty way towards the dog warden and the animal charities in the county. This type of scaremongering has two consequences. 1 being the locals won't support the local charities as they believe they put all the strays to sleep and 2 that people will just see it as a losing battle and completely stop supporting these amazing charities. And he was completely disgusted when I said I wouldn't be giving him a penny as I support those local charities. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

I had someone to my door the other day for a large animal charity in Dublin. Bit pushy which I would ignore, what really pi**ed me off was the complete lies he told me. I keep somewhat to date with animal welfare and he started with questions like do I know how many days a stray is kept before its put to sleep and it went from there. He was a bit shook when I knew the answers! My dog barked midway and he asked what kind of dog I had...as someone working for an animal charity I was a bit taken aback when he didn't know what a staffordshire bull terrier was! BUT the worst part was he tried to convince me that 10,000 dogs were put to sleep in Ireland last year and wait for it, 3,600 of these were in Waterford!! Particularly bad when the real figure is 59 between the City and County pounds. I was extremely annoyed over this. He actually spoke in a rude and nasty way towards the dog warden and the animal charities in the county. This type of scaremongering has two consequences. 1 being the locals won't support the local charities as they believe they put all the strays to sleep and 2 that people will just see it as a losing battle and completely stop supporting these amazing charities. And he was completely disgusted when I said I wouldn't be giving him a penny as I support those local charities. :D
    that fella defo sounds like an idiot lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just dont answer the door. If its someone you know they will ring you. Thats the approach I take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I have a neighbour who is a Jesus freak used to call all the time to speak to the wife and try give her the monthly edition of some magazine, keep her ages at the door but she was too quite to put a stop to it.
    I saw her walking towards the door one day so i stripped to the kacks and answered the door with a big smile and asked her to come in.
    Never saw her since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,185 ✭✭✭✭looksee

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I have a neighbour who is a Jesus freak used to call all the time to speak to the wife and try give her the monthly edition of some magazine, keep her ages at the door but she was too quite to put a stop to it.
    I saw her walking towards the door one day stripped to the kacks and answered the door with a big smile and asked her to come in.
    Never saw her since.

Had two goes at that post before I figured it was not her that was stripped to the kacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

looksee wrote: »
    Had two goes at that post before I figured it was not her that was stripped to the kacks!

Edited accordingly .perish the thought seeing that particular lady in her kacks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spikadelica

Reviving oldish thread I am sorry, but my sister in law has had a couple of strange callers to house in Cherrymount last couple of evenings, she seems to think it might be someone scoping houses out. Car is parked out of sight and caller said he was looking for number 56 and then proceeded in opposite direction...I would say just be a little watchful. Sister in law alerted the Gardaí so hopefully they may check it out.

Advertisement