Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callers to the Door

Options
  • 09-01-2012 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed an increase in levels of people calling to the door for whatever reason? In the past week we've had two 'charities', and two other calls we didn't bother answering as we have a baby and had our hands full at the time.

The reason I said I'd start this thread is literally 10 mins ago two young lads with a clipboard rang the doorbell, I just happened to be hitting the hay early tonight, usually not in bed before 12, but before I could get me feckin pants back on they were on to the house next door!! Who the fu ck rings the bell at 10.15 in all fairness. The missus was looking out the window at them which is how I have the little bit of detail above.

A lad from World Vision called the other day while I was at work and was very pushy with herself, wanting her to sign up on the spot and wondering would her 'boyfriend' be interested etc. And after all that he wanted to use the bathroom!! She's not the confrontational type so she let him in as she had the house full of her family and felt safe enough, but there's no way I would have if I was there.

Am I being paranoid? Are these people sussing the place out? I'm in the Gracedieu area. Sorry about the long post but I'm curious to see if anyone else has had the same experience, especially in this area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Airtricity and Vodafone get no business from me for this very reason.

The worst form of spam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

A Few people came to the door the other day they asked me
    was I happy I wasn't happy before I found out the truth in the bible and so on been a while since I've seen jehovah witness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Fella told me the other day that my neiigbours where saving children's lives in some other country by donating money to these kids. Wouldn't I like to help the kids. Course I would. Can you spare 20c unthinkable it was a day. Course I can. Excellent sir so ill put your name down. Jaysus no ya wont. I can spare it but I'm not going to.
    Dsi be the charity I'd give money to so the ickle babies in whatever village with no running water will have to get by with my lovely neighbours money for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Try answering the door, heavily pregnant and carrying a 1 year old in a towel, just after her bath.

Do I look like I have 5 minutes for the poor in the world? Or want to save 50% off my bills.

I dont mind because I have no issue in just telling them where to go but a friend lives with 2 small kids and it really freaks her out when there are callers around. She would really freak out if they asked to use the toilet. I'd tell them where the nearest pub is.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Airtricity and Vodafone get no business from me for this very reason.

The worst form of spam

I never answer the door, its never anyone wanting to give you money thats for sure. If its someone i know they have my mobile, actually debating disconnecting the doorbell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

2 chaps tried it on me about a year ago on the dunmore road area.Said were selling some energy saving ****e, could barely speak english. Tried pushing in past door, but didn't realize I did jiu jitsu,so the closer the better. One elbow to the head later,they were backing off with shocked looks on their faces.
    Anyone calls to your door that you don't know, answer with a knife, as if you're cutting stuff in the kitchen.They try push in, stick it straight in em. Not your fault that they walked into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Best thing to do is tell them you have what ever there selling then they will tick you from the list and never come back most of them don't work for the company directly so they can't tell

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Meatwad wrote: »
    2 chaps tried it on me about a year ago on the dunmore road area.Said were selling some energy saving ****e, could barely speak english. Tried pushing in past door, but didn't realize I did jiu jitsu,so the closer the better. One elbow to the head later,they were backing off with shocked looks on their faces.
    Anyone calls to your door that you don't know, answer with a knife, as if you're cutting stuff in the kitchen.They try push in, stick it straight in em. Not your fault that they walked into it.

Fookin genius bai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

World vision type collectors get €15 an hour.

I'm considering putting a sign on my door saying no salespeople.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

There was a thread about this before, ill never forget a foreign man calling to my door before, he wanted to come in but wouldn't tell me what he was calling about, he refused point blank to tell me unless I let him in. I argued a bit with him and obviously wasn't gona leave him in.

My boyfriend was just gone to the shop but he was asking where he was so I told him boyfriend was upstairs, when he came back from the shop he walked around the estate looking for the mysterious door caller but he had gone.

Never found out what he was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

In some cases, like for myself over Christmas a group young lads rang my door (lights were off).. they seemed to be casing the place...

They got a shock when I answered and told them to Pi** off as I have a new born and they were banging on the door at 10.20pm, pretending to carol singing (in there sunday best tracksuit and peeked hats)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I figured there would be a thread before :o, but what is bothering me this time around is that some of these people clearly don't care about what they're selling, they seem more interested in who lives in the house and often times are gone from the door before it's even answered. Somethin' is not right about it, my spidey-sense is tingling :P

Edit: if anyone is experiencing the same thing, if they could give the general area they live just to see is there a pattern, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A few years ago my mother ( a very polite lady) had one of pushy guys at the door who would'nt take no for answer, my sister was getting ready for a days shooting and appeared behind her with her shotgun in her hand, they said they had never seen anyone move so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

michellie wrote: »
    There was a thread about this before, ill never forget a foreign man calling to my door before, he wanted to come in but wouldn't tell me what he was calling about, he refused point blank to tell me unless I let him in. I argued a bit with him and obviously wasn't gona leave him in.

My boyfriend was just gone to the shop but he was asking where he was so I told him boyfriend was upstairs, when he came back from the shop he walked around the estate looking for the mysterious door caller but he had gone.

'You have 3 seconds to get off my property, I am dialing the police as we speak.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Kracken wrote: »
    In some cases, like for myself over Christmas a group young lads rang my door (lights were off).. they seemed to be casing the place...

They got a shock when I answered and told them to Pi** off as I have a new born and they were banging on the door at 10.20pm, pretending to carol singing (in there sunday best tracksuit and peeked hats)

We had that too, boyfriend told them to pi** off and they stole the "santa please stop here" sign out of the porch. Little pricks.

Old tramore road area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Ring the gardaí straight away. It might save your neighbours getting burgled.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

i dont mind school kids raiseing a few bob for the school knocking at the door,
    but its those pushy fcukers who try sell you airtricity and gas and dont know the meaning of fcuk off,
    next time they try pressure my parents (O.A.Ps)to buy there unwanted shyte i will personally punch their fcuking lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

i dont mind school kids raiseing a few bob for the school knocking at the door,
    but its those pushy fcukers who try sell you airtricity and gas and dont know the meaning of fcuk off,
    next time they try pressure my parents (O.A.Ps)to buy there unwanted shyte i will personally punch their fcuking lights out.

I think these are the worst ok. I had a couple of them basically ask me if I was stupid when I told them I wasn't interested in moving to Airtricity. I'll never do business with Airtricity as a direct result of their 'salespeople'.

I rarely answer my door any more, as an earlier poster said, any family/friends have my mobile number and have probably rung ahead anyway. Anyone calling unannounced is either looking to sell me something I don't want/looking for money/casing the joint..sometimes it's hard to tell which!

Just been doing a little digging for the sales people and thought I would post this:

NCA Guide for Doorstep Selling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've had Airtricity people call to my door 3 times in the last 2 years trying to sell me their services. I'm with Airtricity for the last 2 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

michellie wrote: »

You want me to draw you a picture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I noticed in the lead up to Christmas there was a lot more callers as well, world vision, airtricity, vodafone, girls selling makeup.

We had two people around early twenties, trying to sell pictures to fund their travels around the world the guy went off on a bit of a speel saying he wanted to learn about new cultures and that the girl that was with him had designed the pictures, a few days later i saw two other fella's trying to flog the same pictures down on the quay.

The best one though was the weekend before christmas two yahoo's knocked on the door around 10.30 pm and started to sing, i wouldn't have opened the door only there was a few in the house, neither of them had an ounce of a musical note between them. They had their hoods up as well so it would be hard to identify them. Got me thinking though after were they sussing out the house.

Was one of them a a bit tubby, grey tracksuit?

They had tracksuit tops/hoodies on them about 18 upwards, they weren't young kids.

Hey nothing wrong with hoodies ye Ould farts hahaha. :)

seanybiker wrote: »
    Hey nothing wrong with hoodies ye Ould farts hahaha. :)

Haha, I'm not old I'm on the right side of 30 and i wear hoodies, :D. It was just the fact they both had them up and pulled over their foreheads it was hard to see the faces! Maybe they just didn't want me to know that they were terrible singers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

sales people will only be around selling at the peak hours when they know people are just in from work so ya could say between the hours of 4 til 8 any other times and there casing your house and aint sales people

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

Benimar wrote: »
    I think these are the worst ok. I had a couple of them basically ask me if I was stupid when I told them I wasn't interested in moving to Airtricity. I'll never do business with Airtricity as a direct result of their 'salespeople'.

I rarely answer my door any more, as an earlier poster said, any family/friends have my mobile number and have probably rung ahead anyway. Anyone calling unannounced is either looking to sell me something I don't want/looking for money/casing the joint..sometimes it's hard to tell which!

what put me off airtricity was a woman on the joe duffy show who got her power cut off because she was 44 euro in arrears,
    i heard they are a right shower of w**kers,
    stick to ESB, At least you know where you stand with them.

what put me off airtricity was a woman on the joe duffy show who got her power cut off because she was 44 euro in arrears,
    i heard they are a right shower of w**kers,
    stick to ESB, At least you know where you stand with them.
    Better the divil ya know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 butterfly20

i think ye are being very immature these people are living of the commision they make from these switches which in most cases is very little how can u look at a man who is trying to care for his children on commission and tell him ta get away from your door iv worked in direct sales before and know its not all rosy for most people in there. this is their way of living .of course if they are not carrying id or show you any literature than you can b wary but most are just normal people trying to make a living and dont believe they should be treated like that!

Advertisement