Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callers to the Door

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i think ye are being very immature these people are living of the commision they make from these switches which in most cases is very little how can u look at a man who is trying to care for his children on commission and tell him ta get away from your door iv worked in direct sales before and know its not all rosy for most people in there. this is their way of living .of course if they are not carrying id or show you any literature than you can b wary but most are just normal people trying to make a living and dont believe they should be treated like that!
    true, but there are a few that give door to door sales people a bad name with there pushy attitude, i work in sales at the moment and have never been one bit pushy and thats why i get on with my customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 butterfly20

i agree but what annoys me is that the genuine people who are trying to get by are getting the grief off people and it doesn't make their job any easier at the end it was 1 of the reasons i had to leave and people should consider this before cursing or trowing abuse to any person at their door it is 1 of the hardest jobs any person could do wit low pay. just pay a little respect for people that at least are trying to make a wage and not siting at home on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

i agree but what annoys me is that the genuine people who are trying to get by are getting the grief off people and it doesn't make their job any easier at the end it was 1 of the reasons i had to leave and people should consider this before cursing or trowing abuse to any person at their door it is 1 of the hardest jobs any person could do wit low pay. just pay a little respect for people that at least are trying to make a wage and not siting at home on the dole.

Huh? Please stay on the dole.. I don't mind paying tax to keep guys like you on the dole if it means you won't be knocking on my door trying to sell me something I don't want..

When people are at home they don't want some anoying salesman knocking.. that's what the high street and the internet is for...

90% of salemen that work door to door are anoying little pests..

then just dont anwser ur door simple as! .. there are people out there who genuinly cant find work and are working every day to make a living witout sitting on their arse at home . its simple minded people like you that makes their job harder i have huge respect for any person that does it .and before you knock anything you should try working those hours and talking to people like you at a door to make a living! iv met some pushy ones myself and i know wat its like but most of them are normal people making a living ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Some things I will buy at my door, lines for charity walks / runs.

Airtricity, Chuggers and any womin selling 'Brown Tomas pillas and eiderdowns' I dont buy.

• Advertisement

then just dont anwser ur door simple as! .. there are people out there who genuinly cant find work and are working every day to make a living witout sitting on their arse at home . its simple minded people like you that makes their job harder i have huge respect for any person that does it .and before you knock anything you should try working those hours and talking to people like you at a door to make a living! iv met some pushy ones myself and i know wat its like but most of them are normal people making a living ...

Look dude your smart ass one liners are the reason people don't like door sales men. If I hear the bell I answer the door it might be a local charity or the soccer/ GAA club not some smart ass car sales man look alike trying to sell me some crap service I don't want.

I'd go as far as saying it's a lazy way to sell anything.. Put a leaflet in the letterbox and if I want your services I'll ring you otherwise P off..

About time they banned door to door salesmen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

how can u look at a man who is trying to care for his children on commission and tell him ta get away from your door

Because they piss me off.

It's a game of poker. I start off with 'I'm not interested, thank you', they raise me a 'but..', then I raise them a 'look, I've been polite, now go away',

it rarely gets past this point, but my ace card is a slap in the chops.

If people are on low pay they should join a union and fight for petter pay rather than harass people in their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

Funfair wrote: »
    Look dude your smart ass one liners are the reason people don't like door sales men. If I hear the bell I answer the door it might be a local charity or the soccer/ GAA club not some smart ass car sales man look alike trying to sell me some crap service I don't want.

I'd go as far as saying it's a lazy way to sell anything.. Put a leaflet in the letterbox and if I want your services I'll ring you otherwise P off..

About time they banned door to door salesmen

i totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Smbc

Before Christmas I had this young fella call to the door, like previous posters I don't answer the door. If it's someone I know they will call.
    Anyhow, when he realised the door wasn't being answered he started leaning on the bell and kicking the door.
    Eventually I had to answer, to hear he was collecting for a local sports club.

Now normally ill support local kids and clubs, but he wasnt from the estate and i was suspect that the money was actually for his own fund
    So I fobed him off telling him, someone else was collecting yesterday. He told me I couldn't have, when I asked why, he couldnt answer..

Now I put that down to the lad looking for some handy money, but maybe he was sussing out the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

Smbc wrote: »
    Before Christmas I had this young fella call to the door, like previous posters I don't answer the door. If it's someone I know they will call.
    Anyhow, when he realised the door wasn't being answered he started leaning on the bell and kicking the door.
    Eventually I had to answer, to hear he was collecting for a local sports club.

Now normally ill support local kids and clubs, but he wasnt from the estate and i was suspect that the money was actually for his own fund
    So I fobed him off telling him, someone else was collecting yesterday. He told me I couldn't have, when I asked why, he couldnt answer..

Now I put that down to the lad looking for some handy money, but maybe he was sussing out the place!

he was probably in jail the day before :D

• Advertisement

ok i dont agree with you happily saying sit on ur hole and do nothing. i worked sales, i know its hard but i made a decent living out of it.

There s people there everyday that will switch over to airtricity sky upc vodafone etc. people nowadays cant afford everything and are glad to save money!!!

fair play you sit down all day and do nothing while others struggle to make a living in the wind and the rain to make there lives a better cirrcumstances for there family and kids.

there not trying to actually rip you off. no sales people actually physically take cash off you at the door unless its the make-up!

so grow up, or better still come and work with me for a day and then see if you can still put down door to door. as what you made off the dole sitting on ur bollox i actually have made more money than you in one day FACT!

bye bye now and enjoy your ****ty 188 euro a week doing NOTHING!!!

ok i dont agree with you happily saying sit on ur hole and do nothing. i worked sales, i know its hard but i made a decent living out of it.

Sure why not push drugs on people so long as you make some cash out of it. These salespeople are a nuisance and should be banned.

Instead of harassing people for a living I do a productive job. But as someone else said, I'd rather you take the dole than harass me in my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

i think ye are being very immature these people are living of the commision they make from these switches which in most cases is very little how can u look at a man who is trying to care for his children on commission and tell him ta get away from your door iv worked in direct sales before and know its not all rosy for most people in there. this is their way of living .of course if they are not carrying id or show you any literature than you can b wary but most are just normal people trying to make a living and dont believe they should be treated like that!

I don't owe any of these people a living and I will chose when I want to give to charity and who I give it to and I will chose when I want to change gas/electricity/whatever and who I want to change it to.

I do not appreciate having my time wasted by people calling to the door and I will most certainly not be guilted into giving them money or anything else. When anyone like that calls to my door it gets unceremoniously slammed in their faces so as not to waste any more time on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

Just say no thanks to people and close door, my god there are a huge amount of victor mildew characters on this Waterford forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Bit extreme to say you'd rather see people on the dole than being door-to-door salesmen, the last thing this country needs is more people on the dole. I do understand that some are pushier than others which can be very annoying. In any event I started the thread to see if anybody was receiving 'bogus' or dodgy people calling to the door. ex_infantry_man made a good point that if these people aren't calling at 'peak' selling hours then they're probably fakes. My estate seems to be plagued with these. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

A friend of mine is doing up a house at the moment. He was working away one night, and the electricity went off. He rang the ESB, who he was with at the time, to ask what the story was. They told him that he was no longer a customer of theirs. He tried ringing Bord Gais and Airtricity but they didn't have him on file either.
    He tried ringing them back the next day after he'd found the MPRN. Turns out that he was a customer now of Airtricity, and had an outstanding bill!! The only thing was that it wasn't registered in his name.
    All he could think off was that about a month beforehand, a girl from Airtricity had called to the house. He said No Thanks, but it looks like she set him up regardless, possibly for the commission!

batm!ke wrote: »
    Bit extreme to say you'd rather see people on the dole than being door-to-door salesmen, the last thing this country needs is more people on the dole. I do understand that some are pushier than others which can be very annoying. In any event I started the thread to see if anybody was receiving 'bogus' or dodgy people calling to the door. ex_infantry_man made a good point that if these people aren't calling at 'peak' selling hours then they're probably fakes. My estate seems to be plagued with these. :(

True it was extreme, a good story needs a bit of drama :)

There s people there everyday that will switch over to airtricity sky upc vodafone etc. people nowadays cant afford everything and are glad to save money!!!

fair play you sit down all day and do nothing while others struggle to make a living in the wind and the rain to make there lives a better cirrcumstances for there family and kids.

there not trying to actually rip you off. no sales people actually physically take cash off you at the door unless its the make-up!

so grow up, or better still come and work with me for a day and then see if you can still put down door to door. as what you made off the dole sitting on ur bollox i actually have made more money than you in one day FACT!

bye bye now and enjoy your ****ty 188 euro a week doing NOTHING!!!

Who are you addressing this drivel at ?

Incase it's me you got me mixed up with someone else as I ain't on the dole, I never was and have no intention (Touch wood) of ever being on it.
    i actually have made more money than you in one day FACT!

Are you a betting man ? because I would say I put more on a horse then you make in a day FACT! did I mention I was self employed :eek:

Nothing Personal to you, your just in one of those jobs that people hate a bit like a Traffic Warden, Speed camera opperator,clamper, car sales men etc.. It's your job not you!

decies wrote: »
    Just say no thanks to people and close door, my god there are a huge amount of victor mildew characters on this Waterford forum.

Must admit that was funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

A friend of mine is doing up a house at the moment. He was working away one night, and the electricity went off. He rang the ESB, who he was with at the time, to ask what the story was. They told him that he was no longer a customer of theirs. He tried ringing Bord Gais and Airtricity but they didn't have him on file either.
    He tried ringing them back the next day after he'd found the MPRN. Turns out that he was a customer now of Airtricity, and had an outstanding bill!! The only thing was that it wasn't registered in his name.
    All he could think off was that about a month beforehand, a girl from Airtricity had called to the house. He said No Thanks, but it looks like she set him up regardless, possibly for the commission!

Hi Cardbordwindow, they can have this switched by to ESB as their Data Protection was breached and they should request a copy of the signature on the form "allowing", the switch and when the forgery arrive they start a proceeding of fraud.

Airtricity are then required by law to investigate and allow them from a false contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Kracken wrote: »
    Hi Cardbordwindow, they can have this switched by to ESB as their Data Protection was breached and they should request a copy of the signature on the form "allowing", the switch and when the forgery arrive they start a proceeding of fraud.

Airtricity are then required by law to investigate and allow them from a false contract.
    I'll say it to him and see what he does.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Luckily I dont have to worry too much about door to door people as I'm living in an apt but when I was living in a house, jeez they pestered the life out of me.

I told them countless times, I don't need anything, was polite but firm and then one cheeky f*ck tried to stop me closing the door by jamming his foot in it. Lets just say he didn't try that again and hobbled off down the road cursing me as he did.. :D

I do agree that they can be annoying but I always found being polite and a simple no thank you is sufficient enough for them to get through to them but if they start getting aggressive or cheeky they will get whats coming to them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Thing about door to door sales men is that they're sooo talented they can't get a proper job anywhere else cause they're so damned intelligent and have no choice but to spread their talent and charm to every one in the country by calling to their house.
    People this talented at sales would normally be headhunted by companies looking for the best sales people for business to business sales,but these special maverick geniuses are in a league of their own and can do better by just living off tiny commissions and absolutely no workers rights.
    I wonder how many of them remember to register as self employed and actually declare their full earnings..

batm!ke wrote: »
    Bit extreme to say you'd rather see people on the dole than being door-to-door salesmen, the last thing this country needs is more people on the dole.

The 2nd last thing we need is more people on the dole. The last thing we need are more door to door salespeople.

Imagine if the 400,000 or so on the dole all became door to door salespeople :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

dayshah wrote: »
    Imagine if the 400,000 or so on the dole all became door to door salespeople :eek:

vader.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Reading through this thread this popped into my head :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Y9SQhcIjw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

decies wrote: »
    oooooh i doooooonn,ttt beeelieve it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

That time of year again, lots of 'salespeople' at the door. My partner rang me there though, a little shook up. A large man, of the, shall we say travelling variety, was looking in our front window earlier. He knocked on it until my partner opened the front door. He had a set of knives in his hand 'for sale', but spent the whole time looking past her into the house. When our dog started barking in the back room he wanted to know what kind of dog we had, and was it big. She told him she had no interest but he was a little pushy, ya know the usual. This is on the Carrickphierish road btw.

It just bothered her that he looked in our front window where our two sons were playing, then kept looking past her into the house and saying it was a fine house, and then enquiring about the dog. You know what I'm thinking. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Did she rings the Gardaí? Not saying that anything would be done, but no harm ringing them as they might catch up with them later and it may put them off any intent of criminal activity they might have had in the area...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

guys from a "Certain group " tryed selling me knifes for 30 euro than went to 20 then to 10 ,didnt buy them

Advertisement