Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Not much updating going on but all going well in the Stew Household. I’m having a great time running for fun and Mr Stew is showing signs of early onset taper madness. The Junior Stews are back into rugby, GAA etc. so it’s all systems go.

Monday September 30th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    45 minute Body Pump Class

Tuesday October 1st
    6.6 easy miles @ 8.46 pace
    45 minutes mat Pilates class
    Rain, rain go away:mad: Our track session was cancelled so I met up with some pals for a few miles in the rain, we all really enjoyed the splashing through the puddles and after a nice warm shower I popped into Pilates.

Wednesday October 2nd
    MLR 12.07 miles @ 8.16 pace
    Nice handy run into town, joining the DCM route at Merrion shopping centre and turning back at Pearse St. I LOVE running in this part of Dublin as it brings back so many happy memories of the marathon, I was talking to Mr Stew about this later and he said I must be crazy as he associates that part of the route with sheer torture:eek: The first year I ran it in ’09 I was in such a bad state by then I wasn’t even aware of my surroundings but the two times I raced it after that I ran negative splits and then I paced it last year, I’m looking forward to making some more happy memories this year with the 4 hour group.

Thursday October 3rd
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    A “Sort of” tempo run
    Track session cancelled again so I met the die-hards and we ran up to the track to find that it was flooded and miserable so we headed across the road to a nice mile long track that leads to Deans Grange. I’m thoroughly enjoying the no pressure element of my training so I was happy to do whatever they fancied, we had run plenty of miles to warm up so we took off our saturated jackets and headed off for a fast mile, we said we’d aim for 7 min/mile pace but of course we all tore off, after I settled into the pace I began to enjoy it and popped up to the front, 6.30 for that mile and when we turned round we realised why it had been so fast, we had had the wind at our backs:eek: We decided to do a mile easy into the wind and then we headed off for 2 fast miles 6.56 and 7.02 and I was actually enjoying it by now but we decided to call it a day because we have a pal who is struggling a little with motivation at the moment and we didn’t want to scare her away;) A nice easy cool-down home and it brought my total to 12.63 miles for the day. Not bad for a rainy, damp miserable morning.

Friday October 4th
    * NO Dip in the 40 Foot
    Rest day
    Junior off school because of the election so a thoroughly enjoyable morning spent making pancakes in our jammies.

* I got a text from a pal who had swam at the 40 Foot (her kids were all in school), it seems I picked the right day to avoid Sandycove; after a lovely swim they returned to find that somebody had been through their belongings and decided to relieve them of their undergarments:eek: No phones or wallets were taken, I was going to ask Digger his whereabouts on Friday but then I remembered that all of us who swim at the 40 Foot are very much the wrong side of 30;)

Saturday October 5th
    Swim at Seapoint
    Glorious sunshine and no knicker-thieves:)

Sunday October 6th
    Athlone Three Quarter Marathon; 3.30 Pacer
    19.7 miles @ 8.32 pace
    Back to my home-town again but no pressure at all this time as I was lucky enough to be pacing. With two runners in the house things can get a tad expensive but with me pacing Mr Stew got a plus-one free entry. We were getting a lift with a pal and two other runners so we were all in good spirits on the way down. I had planned to drive (I like to be in control of the time-keeping:)) but our car wouldn’t start on Friday evening (all fixed now, starter motor, a waste of our running fund:mad:) so I was delighted when we arrived not too late (but just in time) Luckily there were plenty of people on duty at registration and in no time at all I had my number and my balloon and I was all set to go. Bazman had explained to Meno and I that we should be aiming for 8.35 pace (the faster end of 3.30 LSR pace) but that he would leave it up to us to adapt if necessary as we went along. We decided that we’d see how the group with us felt and maybe pick it up. A nice concise briefing from Paul and we headed up to the Start and the gun went off quite suddenly and before we knew it we were on our way. Mr Stew had changed his mind a zillion times on the way down in the car, from originally thinking he’d run 10 @ PMP to telling me he’d take it easy and run the whole race with us as he was tired;)
    Not much more to say about the day except that I really, really enjoyed it, it’s a really well organised race with wonderful marshals (who kept smiling in spite of the rain) at every turn and great water stations with fruit and yummy fizzy jellies. The mile markers were a bit out but this didn’t bother us since we had quite a relaxed pacing brief and nobody was really racing the distance (which was accurate at the finish line) We had a super group of about 25 to start with us and we kept about 15 with us till after half marathon distance where we sent a few on as they were looking strong. The rest of the group stuck with us but weren’t keen on the idea of a few miles @ 8 min pace so we ticked along nicely keeping a few seconds in the bank for the hilly miles that would come at the end. Everybody was in good spirits and we slowed considerably on the hills so as to not loose anyone and gave lots and lots of encouragement. Pump your arms and the legs will follow… Not long to go now… We’re not going to lose anyone…. Smile, there’s a cameraman in the ditch:D We picked up about 7 more runners who had slowed and I think they were glad of the company (although one poor girl wasn’t that glad to see us:(). With 1KM to go we started sending people on and looking behind yelling at people to catch us. Meno and I crossed the finish line and got lots of thanks for our help. A job well done :)
    Mr Stew had a great run, took it handy enough to start and settled in on the last 5 miles at PMP, he said he took a leaf out of my book (about time he started listening to me;)) and stopped looking at his Garmin and kept focussing on people to overtake. Always one to improve on my plans he decided he’d count the number of runners he passed….. 43 in the last 5 miles and nobody overtook him. Another job well done:)
    Total miles for the week 51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You forgot about the poor German runner we 'forced' to keep up with us over the last mile only to find out on the finish straight that he had a sprained ankle :P
    MS: " Oh well at least you'll be off that ankle sooner" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So much good work being done on this log...as usual!

Monday
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    Cycling 18.06 miles
    Had to head in and out of town so I popped on my rust bucket, this was tough, my old bike is such a heap of sh*t, it is stuck on the granny gear so my poor legs were spinning round faster than a..... (digger?) I couldn’t risk bringing in my trusty steed as it would be nicked. On the way home I passed a runner in a 2012 Donadea t-shirt near Ringsend stadium so I gave them a shout out:D

Tuesday October
    Dip in 40 Foot
    Track session Total miles covered 12.3
    1600 + 1200 + 800 + 400
    All the spinning on my crappy bike paid off, my legs felt great and I really enjoyed this session. We had a few new people joining us for the first time so Maria gave us a very generous 3 mins recovery between each rep. Splits were 6.25, 4.45, 3.07, 1.25

Wednesday October 9th
    Body Pump
    Recovery 6.05 @ 9.15 pace

Pilates

Thursday October 10th
    45 minute Circuit training
    Fartlek session; 10 X 3 mins fast +1 Min steady, total miles 8.76 @ 8.06 min/miles
    Total 11.1 miles
    I decided to put my lovely new Garmin 605 to some use and programmed an interval session (very basic, but I’m sure I’ll soon figure it all out) I really enjoyed this run in spite of the wind along the coast. My paces for the 3 minute intervals ranged from 7.10 to 6.10 depending on what direction I was running. Good fun

Friday October 11th
    LSR 21 miles @ 8.58 min/miles
    A fun morning with 4 pals, 3 are DCM bound and 1 is New York bound, really enjoyed this run as we were taking it nice and easy. We stopped a good few times for the loo, drinks etc. but after a big breakfast I was running this on empty. The next day I met 3 different people who had heard us (as opposed to seen us:o) at the start of the run, we were chatting and laughing and were in our own little world. The silence during the last 3 miles was deafening:D we broke into two groups and just put the heads down and got the job done. I was STARVING for the rest of the day and spent the weekend eating.

Saturday October 12th
    Recovery
    AM 4.4 @ 9.30 min/miles
    Under 11s were playing an away hurling match in Corkagh park so I trotted round for a few miles and made it back in time for the second half. This run reminded me of another reason why I love running; before I was a runner I would just head to a match and cheer from the side-lines and then head home pretty much unaware of the surroundings (which really wasn’t a bad way to spend a Saturday morning). Whereas now I get to explore the area and cheer the team on. Corkagh park is so much fun, little ponds, people fishing, ducks quaking, playgrounds, magpies to chase (I chased one vigorously for you Rachel:D) and a bouncy, bouncy hare even jumped out of the bushes to say hello.

PM 3.73 miles @ 11.15 pace@
    Kilbogget Park Social Inclusion week fun 5K
    Junior’s rugby team were running/walking/crawling this as a fundraiser for Blackrock Flyers and I was the official sweeper for the team. I had great fun running between the kids and helping them on their way. I even managed to add on some extra running as I had to run to the clubhouse to warn a mum that their kid was on the way in an ambulance (luckily just a sprained ankle). This is our 3rd year doing this and it’s great fun, two laps of the park with dogs, buggies, wheelchairs, scooters and even the odd runner thrown in for good measure. Over €700 was raised by Junior’s team and he was 3rd kid home after two very strong runners from the local athletics club.

Sunday October 13th
    Rest
    Total miles for the week 56.24

Monday October 14th

Rest

Tuesday October 15th
    Track session
    2 times 2 X 400 + 800 with 1 min recovery
    Total 11.1 miles
    What a glorious sunny day! A nice easy run up to the track and some drills to start and a nice warm-down run home. After two days rest I felt great on this run and really enjoyed it. Splits were 86, 85, 3.05, 85, 84, 3.05

Wednesday October 16th
    LSR 17.3 miles @ 9.25 pace
    Not a glorious day at all!!! One of my pals who is running DCM has had a few problems with her training and is feeling less than optimistic about the day so I told her I’d run some of the route with her. We got the dort into Grand Canal Dock and ran up along the canal to Crumlin road and joined the DCM route. In spite of the weather we really enjoyed this; we took it very easy and chatted all the way. After the first mile we gave up trying to dodge puddles and just ran through them, don’t think I have ever been as wet on a run but it wasn’t cold so we just kept trotting along. We stopped in Terenure in a coffee shop for a pit-stop and shared a cappuccino to warm up, the girl who served us told us we were mad to be out in the rain and we tried to disguise the fact that we were dripping all over the floor and told her we were training for the marathon. As we were leaving a really sweet old man who was sitting having his breakfast said “You are amazing women” and I told him we were probably crazy and he said “No, you’re amazing” How cute:D Before we knew it we were running by the Gasworks pub and we skipped the last mile of the route and went straight to Insomnia for some very well deserved hot chocolate (the best hot choc ever, Lily O’Briens:)) It was so busy nobody noticed us dripping on the floor:p. The hardest part of the whole morning was the dort journey home in cold, wet clothes but a very long hot shower had me back to normal in no time at all.

12 more sleeps, yippee!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Digs will have so much fun on weds run....see u nxt week,i assume there will be cake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Digs will have so much fun on weds run....see u nxt week,i assume there will be cake

Just too many comebacks for me to cope with ;)

Thursday October 17th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    45 minute Circuit training class
    Trial run in spikes, total 4.37 @ 7.36 pace
    A pal of mine had suggested I try out the ladies race in the Phoenix Park this coming Sunday so I donned junior’s spikes and ran a few handy miles in them.

Friday October 18th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    Recovery run 6.06 miles @ 8.32 pace
    30 minute Rip 60 class
    The water is beautiful at the moment, silky smooth and the temperature is staying nice and warm. The knickers thief hasn’t made a reappearance (or maybe he/she has and my knickers just weren’t up to par?)

Saturday October 19th
    Rest
    A busy day with football blitzes, karate gradings etc. so I took to the sofa for the afternoon.

Sunday October 20th
    Gerry Farnan XC meet Phoenix Park

Dublin Juvenile Cross Country League 4, Under 11 Boys
    No rugby match scheduled for junior so he was happy to give the 4th round of the XC league a go in the Phoenix park and although I was now a bag of nerves about my own race I knew I couldn’t back out if I had persuaded him to give it a go. A pal of mine whose son was also running collected us at 9.30 so we were up bright and early and very glad to see the sun shining. Only a handful of junior Crusaders running and my lovely friend Ken who trains the Bros Pearse juniors had very kindly offered Junior the chance to warm up with his group. Poor Junior (overuse of the word "junior"?;))was quite nervous and declined politely but he and I jogged round his course (1200M) and did some dynamic drills and he seemed to settle down. I bumped into Raycun and who was advising his junior where to line up at the start, of course both the juniors were ignoring our suggestions;) Boom and away they went. I popped round to catch them at about 500M and junior seemed to be running well in 5th/6th place. Before long they were arriving at the finishing straight and with about 80M to go junior was in 4th place, I was screaming at the top of my lungs telling him to pick it up, he has a great finishing kick so I really thought he could do it. The boys had to negotiate their way through the tail end of the under 11 girl’s race and I couldn’t see where he finished. Junior’s huge beaming smile greeted me when I caught up with him in the finishing chute and he told me he felt bad for the runner who ultimately came 4th but they had shaken hands and he was fine:) We rang Mr Stew to tell him the good news and I heard Junior say “I felt really, really bad especially at the end so I know I worked hard”:)

Ladies Race
    As optimistic as I generally am I knew that Junior was definitely the only Stew who would make a podium place in the Phoenix Park. Having agreed to enter the race I was beginning to regret my decision when I looked up last year’s results to see that Fionnula Britton had lead the field home in a time of 15.36 (3 loops of a 1 mile course) and that almost 50 of the 101 runners had finished in 18.XX. The “slowest runner” was 27.XX but that’s only because there were a good few O65 and O70s running. Running this race was definitely going to take me well out of my comfort zone and I REALLY didn’t want to do it, I was quite genuinely worried that I would finish last. However I’m also a great believer that sometimes you need to do the thing you fear most, I’ve been having a bit too much fun in the running world lately and I haven’t raced in a while. Most of you will know that I’m a great believer that you can only race whoever turns up on the day and I’ve been very, very lucky over the past year and I knew that plenty of super-fast runners would be turning up at this race and they’d take me down a peg or two:o
    Junior headed home with my pal and I jogged down to Donore Harriers and registered for the race, the nerves were starting to kick in and I was glad to meet up with a couple of familiar faces when I registered. I popped into the changing rooms and thought I was in Cork (busloads of runners from around the country arrive every year for this race, now in its 30th year) and one of the runners on pinning on her bib said “Chip timing, in cross Country! I’ve never heard the like of it!” (with a Cork accent of course;)) We also had to pin on a number with our age group on the backs of our vests (although my coach had warned me that plenty of people don’t do this) so there was plenty of joking about our ages and I was actually getting less and less nervous as I chatted with some very fast looking runners. I jogged back up to the Park but by now I was getting tired and the race was still over an hour away and the doubts starting creeping back in again. I bumped into a pal from Tallaght AC and we jogged round the course and caught up with each other. I left her to do another lap of the route because I now had over 5 miles on the Garmin so I decided to leave it at that. I was delighted to see Officer Digger and Claralara arrive and they were of course followed by Meno. The Officer was looking as handsome as ever with his a giant big …… camera lens:P There were two other Crusaders ladies running so I joined them for a dynamic warm-up and although they’ve run plenty of races like this they said they were also nervous so I was starting to feel a bit better. I had told Claralara and Dig Dig that my only hope was the the O70 from last year would turn up, he joked that she might not still be alive;) (i hope she is ok, there was no O70 on the results this year:() My plan for the race was to try and keep up my Tallaght pal, I had a couple of lucky races last year where I managed to pip her at the post however she is in great form this year so I knew it could go either way. I lined up at the back but thanks to Raycun I knew which side of the course had the flat grass and BOOM a very loud bang and we were off. About 50M in a runner (no idea where she was from but she was O35category;)) pulled up right in front of me and I ran straight into her but managed to continue along my way and settled in behind a couple of O55s (yes, you read that correctly!) I had been warned not to go off too fast but I wasn’t using my Garmin (I had turned it on so I could analyse after the race) so I settled into slightly less than comfortably hard pace. The course was 3 laps of a mile long course of some rolling hills known as the Munich loop. Although I had tried a couple of miles in spikes during the week I opted not to wear them on the day because I was quite worried that I might injure myself, thereby causing the breakdown of Kurt Gödel if another DCM pacer sent him a PM with bad news:eek: The course was actually in quite good condition and the only places I found it tough to grip were on the downhills. About 600M in I was happy to see Mr Stew on the side-line and he cheered and roared me on my way. A good few Crusader supporters along the way and also Clara-Digger-Meno-Crew brought a big smile to my face as I began to try and pick off some of those ahead of me and concentrated on not getting passed. I was keeping the Tallaght runner in my sights and before long we were heading out on the second loop. At the bottom of the first hill I almost went over on my ankle but caught myself in time and dug deep. It was quite windy and by now there was about 50M between me and the runner ahead and I was working hard. Back to where Clara and crew were standing cheering and I knew I was almost half way. The wind on this last stretch was blasting into my face but at least the sun was shining so nothing for it but to dig in and keep working hard. I was very happy to be heading into the last lap and I kept telling myself “Not long to go now”. I could hear the crowd over at the finish line cheering loudly and clapping and the compare was announcing the arrival of Fionnula Britton at the finish line, if I could have managed a look at my Garmin the time on it would have read 15.45 but I was concentrating on not dropping off and having to dig deep. By now I had a stitch in my left side and I was trying to remember an article I had read recently on what to do when you get a stitch while running, something about breathing and slowing down but I knew that slowing down was not an option at this stage so I’d have to make do with breathing:) The last small incline zapped a lot of energy out of my legs but I kept thinking I could catch my Tallaght pal if only I could find the energy. Again strong wind into my face but lots of support yelling at me to pick it up and I really dug deep for the last 60M, I couldn’t believe it when I saw 20.31 on the finishing clock with my Tallaght pal finishing 4 seconds ahead of me. I honestly thought I was going to vomit just after the finish line but managed to keep it to dry retching and by the time we were in the finishing chute I was feeling good and thinking I’d definitely give XC another go.
    61st finisher out of 79 and I was second last in my age group:o way, way down the field but nonetheless I was absolutely delighted I ran and I felt I ran the best I could on the day. (3.01 miles, splits 6.34, 6.55 and 6.55)
    After the ladies race we got a chance to see some phenomenal running, the men’s 5 mile race was won by Michael Mulhere in a time of 24.30 with almost of 90 of the 112 finishers coming in under 30 minutes!
    We caught up with Hard Worker looking calm and relaxed with everything running smoothly in the run up to DCM. He was able to confirm the fact that they had been inundated with requests from female runners for refunds when rumour got out that Digger and his guns wouldn’t be making an appearance on Bank Holiday Monday and that the whole of the female running population were now breathing sighs of relief that he is back pacing;)
    Total 8.5 miles for the day
    Total miles for the week 47.33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

20:31 Surely?

menoscemo wrote: »
    20:31 Surely?
    oops:o That's probably the time I thought I would run;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done O, what a super race to have under your belt. You have more guts that some of us....no names mentioned :)
    See Hear you Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats on the race marthastew! And enjoy Mondays pacing gig :) Hope to catch up with you in McGrattans.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done O, what a super race to have under your belt. You have more guts that some of us....no names mentioned :)
    See Hear you Monday!

:):)
    And well done you on your training, have you any races lined up to put all your hard work to use? It's also good to get a few months in with no pressure on and enjoy training.

I'm really looking forward to Monday and I know you'll do an amazing job stewarding:) I keep telling everyone not to panic about the weather, last night was horrific and look at this morning, a fabulous day:D Besides I've got the magic Child Of Prague which I will ceremoniously place in my garden on Sunday. As far as the weather goes I'm most concerned for the organisers, marshals and spectators, those of us running will be fine once we get going. Although if the predictions about gale force winds are correct I may be doing an impersonation of The Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz as I fly off into the sky with my pacer backpack and flag;);)

3 more sleeps:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Marthastew wrote: »
    Besides I've got the magic Child Of Prague which I will ceremoniously place in my garden on Sunday.

What if its knocked over by a black cat chasing a magpie?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

The pacer flags will be interesting on Monday if the weather forecast is correct... America's Cup anyone? ;)

Just popping on for a very, very unMarthastewlike race report;) We are lucky enough to be heading away on a family break for the rest of the week so I won't get a chance to post anything.

Dublin City Marathon October 28th Chip time 3.59.26

Massive super-dee-dooper congratulations to all who raced, paced, marshalled or supported at DCM on Monday:D:D:D:D What a day!
    I was lucky enough to be pacing the 4 hour group with Frank and Graham and it was an absolute pleasure from start to finish, the 3 of us worked really, really well together and we had a super group of pacees and finished with a huge, huge bunch of happy sub 4 marathoners. Job done:D
    Favourite sign of the day "Run like Baldy Nugent after the budget"

I'm delighted to report that Mr Stew now holds the family martahon PB:D 3.14.36 for him and he ran a superb race, smiling all the way.

Spring marathon training starts today for me, no prizes for guessing what my new time goal is:)

RubyK wrote: »
    Congrats on the race marthastew! And enjoy Mondays pacing gig :) Hope to catch up with you in McGrattans.

how did you do on Monday? I was thinking of you:) Didn't see you in McGrattans but it was so mobbed you may have been there. I'm sure you ran a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

no bother to ya. apparently it was just a walk in the park :D

Congrats to Joe also, good to see the men folk fighting back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

When is the full 4 hour footage (with commentary), being released?:-)

Presuming Barca is the goal, you planning on Donadea as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Job well done by you on Monday Marthastew! Enjoy the break :)

how did you do on Monday? I was thinking of you:) Didn't see you in McGrattans but it was so mobbed you may have been there. I'm sure you ran a great race.

Monday went well, the aim was 3.39.xx - got a new pb of 3.35.12. We were to stay over in Dublin Monday, and planned to see you in McGrattans, but hubby wasn't well, so I had to drive us home straight after the race.

Where is the spring marathon? London by any chance? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

but..
    ...what...

I feel strangely empty, like the marathon didn't happen at all :(

claralara, it's up to you now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I'm delighted to report that Mr Stew now holds the family martahon PB:D 3.14.36 for him and he ran a superb race, smiling all the way.

Hey MS congrats to Mr S, saw a pic of him on Flickr and he was indeed smiling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

sideswipe wrote: »

Kev - How did you finish up? Was your Brother happy with his race?

belcarra wrote: »
    Kev - How did you finish up? Was your Brother happy with his race?

He was delighted, finished in 3:49:15. He wanted 3:50 so I'll be looking for a pacing job soon!!

I don't know what point we lost you at, I was trying to hold him back a bit up until Terenure!!

I'd say you slept well on Monday night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

He was delighted, finished in 3:49:15. He wanted 3:50 so I'll be looking for a pacing job soon!!

I don't know what point we lost you at, I was trying to hold him back a bit up until Terenure!!

I'd say you slept well on Monday night!!

You guys pushed on (I drifted back!) around the same time as Micilin Muc, somewhere around 14.5 miles.
    I managed to put in a decent shift in the pub afterwards so a combination of lack of sleep, jet lag and general drunkenness meant I slept well alright on Monday night but I only managed about an hour last night!:eek:
    I think my body is totally 'discombobulated' at this stage and it will probably take til after the weekend to return to proper sleep patterns.

Well done on your pacing début anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done to Mr. Stew. Had a quick word with him on the course and he was really comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Just popping on for a very, very unMarthastewlike race report;) We are lucky enough to be heading away on a family break for the rest of the week so I won't get a chance to post anything.

Dublin City Marathon October 28th Chip time 3.59.26

Massive super-dee-dooper congratulations to all who raced, paced, marshalled or supported at DCM on Monday:D:D:D:D What a day!
    I was lucky enough to be pacing the 4 hour group with Frank and Graham and it was an absolute pleasure from start to finish, the 3 of us worked really, really well together and we had a super group of pacees and finished with a huge, huge bunch of happy sub 4 marathoners. Job done:D
    Favourite sign of the day "Run like Baldy Nugent after the budget"

Spring marathon training starts today for me, no prizes for guessing what my new time goal is:)

Great job on the pacing! Kept you guys in sight till around 20m and then caught up and pushed on, thanks for the encouragement, came in under my goal time so was absolutely delighted! It was good to meet you, as brief a meeting as it was! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Seriously disappointed MS, had just made myself a big cuppa ready to read...:P

Good job on the pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great to meet you and yer King O Da Hill Hubby again! Well done on a solid pacing gig too :)

PaulieC wrote: »
    no bother to ya. apparently it was just a walk in the park :D

Congrats to Joe also, good to see the men folk fighting back!
    I'm actually genuinely thrilled for him, he really deserved that run.
    Izoard wrote: »
    When is the full 4 hour footage (with commentary), being released?:-)

Presuming Barca is the goal, you planning on Donadea as well?
    Barcelona via Donadea is indeed the plan, the family marathon PB is on the line;) You should join us, we're starting a splinter fun-marathon group, London is so 2012:rolleyes:
    RubyK wrote: »
    Barcelona via Donadea is indeed the plan, the family marathon PB is on the line:) Come to Barcelona, we can start a splinter fun-marathon group instead of London, London is so 2012;)

Monday went well, the aim was 3.39.xx - got a new pb of 3.35.12. We were to stay over in Dublin Monday, and planned to see you in McGrattans, but hubby wasn't well, so I had to drive us home straight after the race.

Where is the spring marathon? London by any chance? :)
    I'm thrilled for you A, you ran a superb race. Unfortunately I won't be joining you in London but lots of fun peeps are going so you will have a ball
    RayCun wrote: »
    but..
    ...what...

I feel strangely empty, like the marathon didn't happen at all :(

claralara, it's up to you now!
    I think we can all agree, she did a super job:D
    How did your race go in September? I hope you're recovering well.
    BrokenMan wrote: »
    Well done to Mr. Stew. Had a quick word with him on the course and he was really comfortable.
    He really enjoyed the race, its always great to see a familiar face along the way.
    rob w wrote: »
    Great job on the pacing! Kept you guys in sight till around 20m and then caught up and pushed on, thanks for the encouragement, came in under my goal time so was absolutely delighted! It was good to meet you, as brief a meeting as it was! :)
    Congrats on a fantastic first marathon, I really enjoyed your report, well done:)
    Seriously disappointed MS, had just made myself a big cuppa ready to read...:P

Good job on the pacing.
    Pity I missed you on Nassau St. I still can't believe that lady told you you were cheering too loud:eek: Talk about a fun-hater;) What would she do if she ended up near me?;)
    Great to meet you and yer King O Da Hill Hubby again! Well done on a solid pacing gig too :)
    Great to see you and to meet the new Mrs, hopefully catch up with you again soon.

How did your race go in September? I hope you're recovering well.

It was tough, made even tougher by the fact I went off course turning it into a 52.3 mile race:rolleyes: but it was VERY enjoyable. Had hoped to give Dublin a good lash but the heavy(slow) milage took a fair toll and has left me feeling pretty slow and tired:o.

I see you and Joe planning Barca next year. I might be heading out myself for a stab at a PB so hopefully will catch up with ye out there or indeed during training over the winter, still undecided about Donadea...would hate to miss it, really enjoyed last year- just need to learn to run 'fast' again for now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I still can't believe that lady told you you were cheering too loud:.

I cant believe there was only one:)

Advertisement