Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Jay5us... I'm feeling tired just reading all that busy-ness ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Super running MS :D Jealous.com

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Great run by your junior, my junior brought up the rear as he has done in his 3 XC races of the year..... He's a great trier though and finished strong while his very proud mammy cheered her head off. I tell him he's a winner cos he's beating all the lazy boys that sit at home playing Xbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Deedee, I'm delighted your junior ran so well, isn't it amazing how much your heart can burst with pride when you see your child racing their hearts out?:)
    The lessons that kids (and us adults too) learn while racing are invaluable, it takes a lot of courage to line up at the start and even more courage to keep pushing to the finish line. Who needs Xboxes when you can conquer the world running races?;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nice parkrunning there missus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hey MS, great run yesterday. Sorry I didn't see you afterwards, by the time I could stand straight again yourself and Mr S were nowhere to be seen. I saw Mr S's Antlers after a k or so and realized you were close by, really sorry I could barley muster a grunt of acknowledgment! I knew you were close by for most of the race because everybody in the park seemed to be giving you a shout! I think we managed to pass a good few in the last km, which was pretty quick (for me anyway). T'was the first 5k i've done in 2 years and really enjoyed it.......when it was over! 2 second pb for me so can't complain.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Hey MS, great run yesterday. Sorry I didn't see you afterwards, by the time I could stand straight again yourself and Mr S were nowhere to be seen. I saw Mr S's Antlers after a k or so and realized you were close by, really sorry I could barley muster a grunt of acknowledgment! I knew you were close by for most of the race because everybody in the park seemed to be giving you a shout! I think we managed to pass a good few in the last km, which was pretty quick (for me anyway). T'was the first 5k i've done in 2 years and really enjoyed it.......when it was over! 2 second pb for me so can't complain.

Woo hoo! Congrats on the PB:D delighted for you K, I told you all those ultra miles would stand to you:) I was impressed with the fact that you could even manage a grunt of acknowledgement, I was digging deep the entire race. As soon as I finished I ran back for junior as I was worried about him, he had a tough day but by the time he got to the finish line he was smiling again. A great day out for everyone:D

Tuesday December 3rd
    Dip in 40 Foot
    Track session 1600M; 1200M, 800M, 400M with 3 min recovery
    Total 11.23 miles
    I woke feeling tired, convinced I had gotten Junior’s tummy bug so I skipped breakfast and headed for the track thinking I’d be turning for home before long. Of course my legs woke up after a few easy miles and I knew the track session would let me know for sure if I was indeed sick. Luckily I’m just a hypochondriac;) and although I found it tough I didn’t feel sick. Another glorious day, fab, fab weather. After the 1600 Maria came up with the idea of starting me about 100m behind the group on the track so this worked really well as I had people to pick off and overtake. I never caught anyone on the 400m though;)
    Splits were 6.13, 4.35, 3.07, 83
    45 minute mat Pilates

Wednesday Dec 4th
    45 minute Body pump class
    Headed to ecoli for a rub down as my legs seemed to still be feeling the effects of the half, felt great after. Another busy day with rugby etc so I opted not to run

Thursday Dec 5th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    45 minute Circuit training
    I had planned to run but the weather was grim and I had another bad night’s sleep so I did Christmas shopping instead. Of course by afternoon I was disgusted I hadn’t run but I reckoned the rest will do me good.

Friday Dec 6th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    75 minute Vinyasa yoga class
    Had hoped to get out for a couple of miles to loosen the legs but I was panicking a little that Christmas is just around the corner….. Thankfully managed to get the shopping sorted so I’m back on track now.

Saturday December 7th
    Total 10.42 miles
    Donore Harriers Jingle Bells 5K
    I was really looking forward to this race as I had heard great things about it and with such a nice course it would hopefully bring some new PBs. My training has been going really well recently, I’ve been ticking along nicely and the parkrun last Saturday was a good confidence booster. We were delighted to be joined by junior for this run, I had some reservations as his Osgood Schlatters (growing pains) is on the mend and a 5K probably wasn’t a great idea but he really wanted to do it and I genuinely feel that the life lessons he learns while racing a big race like this are invaluable for a 10 year old, plus he’s a tough cookie. No trip to the Phoenix Park would be complete without Meno in the car and we collected him nice and early to allow ourselves time for him to get us lost on the way;)
    Another glorious morning for a run and the atmosphere before the start was great, a really lovely buzz and I caught up with lots of pals. I left Mr Stew to head off with Meno for a warm-up and Junior and I queued for the loo. Time seemed to fly by at this stage and I had just enough time to do a teeny-tiny warm-up and a couple of drills and then we were lining up. Junior said his leg felt a little tight and I offered to run with him/ to not run with him to do whatever he wanted, fortunately for me he said he’d be fine and I knew I’d have a shot at my PB. We moved up towards the front and the gun went off bang on time. As usual I had the Garmin on but planned not to look at it for the race. I crossed the start mat and my legs felt really tired, I was starting to panic a little but I soon realised it was probably just because I hadn’t run all week, nothing for it but to put the head down and go for it. I tucked in behind Mr Stew and away we went. I resisted the urge to look at the Garmin at the 1K marker because I was afraid it would tell me I was slow:eek: There was a Clonliffe female runner ahead of me running at my pace so I decided to follow her and occasionally we would overtake each other. I also ran behind a man dressed up as (I think) the Pillsbury Dough Boy for the first 2K but I was relieved when I passed him as I was starting to panic that I’d be able to break 20 mins (note to self, google world record for 5K fancy dress, I’m sure it’s well under 20 mins;)) I overtook Mr Stew a few times and each time he would overtake me; he hates running behind me so I was using this tactic to make us work harder. At around the 3K marker (after we spotted sideswipe) I overtook him and then I had to stay ahead. The support along the course was super, one of our clubmates was out cheering us all on and I also got a lovely shout out from Blocky and Sunflowerro, it’s amazing how somebody shouting your name can really spur you on. Just after I passed Mr S one of my clubmates came up behind me and I can honestly say she shaved a few seconds off my time. We are both fairly well matched in terms of times etc. but she is a better, more experienced runner than me (and that’s not a euphemism for older, she is a lot younger than me) so I forgot about Mr S and kept running as fast as I could to stay ahead of her. Around this point the girl from Clonliffe pulled over and I wanted to shout "Don't stop!" Another pal was at the 4K mark so a great shout out from her, our cheering clubmate was bit further down and she yelled at us both to keep working and that we were nearly there. I was really willing that finish line to appear; jelly legs, tummy feeling rotten and I had also spent the whole race worrying about junior so I wanted to finish and go and find him. A lovely shout-out from Rossrunner as we made our way into the last stretch and I was absolutely sure I’d be pipped at the post by my clubmate, but I got lucky and only 1 guy came tearing past me, I crossed the line delighted with my time (19.34:D PB) but I was instantly worried about Mr S and junior, 2 seconds later Mr S arrived and we were so wrecked we couldn’t even talk, I mumbled that I had to go find junior so I headed back up along the side-lines, I got to cheer on lots of pals as they finished but I was getting worried when there was no sign of him. Luckily I soon spotted the Crusaders vest with the Santa hat and his cute little face looked worried:( He said his leg was sore and he was tired so I told him we’d do whatever he wanted, I told him we didn’t have to finish if he wanted and he said “Of course I’m finishing!” So we walked for a while and he decided to run the last 200m, overtaking lots of people with the smile back on his face:D A really nice touch by Donore providing medals for the kids and we caught up with lots and lots of PB-smiling runners. Yummy tea and cake back in the clubhouse (although no Racoon Queen with chocolate biscuit cake:mad:) and it was great to meet even more new boardsies. Close but no cigar for me with an age group prize, I was well behind 1st and 2nd and there was no prize for 3rd:( A really great run for me all the same.
    Splits 6.18, 6.26, 6.05, (6.02)
    My left calf was very tight after the race and I didn’t do a proper cool down so when we got home I headed out the door for a recovery run down the West pier. I was really glad I did as not only did it do the legs good but I saw Santa arriving on the Lifeboat for (presumably) the yacht club kids party. I abandoned recovery pace and chased after the boat as it drove by, catching it when it slowed to dock and I jumped up and down waving and shouting “Hi Santa”, I was rewarded with a big wave, which I’m assuming means I’ve been a very good girl this year:D

Sunday December 8th
    Recovery 4.33 miles @ 9.30 pace
    Up bright and early to bring junior to his rugby match and after downing a couple of pints of water and 2 strong coffees I was ready to clear the cobwebs. Mr Stew had a really great night at the boards night in the pub and we left just as I was starting to really talk nonsense so I think I may still have some friends:)I love the way a recovery run does exactly what it says on the tin… helps you recover from racing and a night on the town and it sets you up for the day.
    The rest of the day was spent watching the European XC, devouring a tin of roses and a take-away and we also put up our Christmas tree, all in all a really great weekend.
    Total miles 25.98:eek: (career move, you will definitely be the first to reach 2,000 miles)

MS ..... disappointing!!! :( I was relying on you for the gossip and what do I get?? Nada. Nothing. Not a word. Just a casual makey uppy line about Mr Stew :mad: Not a happy camper :mad: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Nice to meet you after the run on Saturday. Hopefully see you both in Bohermeen in March if not before. Great to see so many families out on Saturday....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great run, O. Good to meet you and Mr. Stew again in the Palace. Sorry couldn't stay longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the PB MS!

MS ..... disappointing!!! :( I was relying on you for the gossip and what do I get?? Nada. Nothing. Not a word. Just a casual makey uppy line about Mr Stew :mad: Not a happy camper :mad: :D

K, you know the rules..... What goes on tour stays on tour:D
    I can't give anything away but I can reveal it was a lot like the night out in Limerick...... minus the air drums and the trip to the chipper but just as much beer and just as much fun:D We missed you:)

Thanks so much to whoever nominated my log, I am honoured to be among such great company:D
    PS Did you get the Rice Krispie buns?;)

Monday December 9th
    14 miles on Wicklow way
    I was delighted to get a text from my favourite race director letting me know he was doing a few miles on the Wicklow Way and as it was a glorious sunshiny day I didn’t need to be asked twice and I headed to Marlay Park to hook up with him and some of his pals. My first time running along this part of the route and despite the steep climbs and the difficult surface at times, I really, really enjoyed this run. Hardly a puff of wind, very mild weather and fantastic views were my reward. Wildlife we spotted along the way; a bunny (yes krusty, we spotted a bunny:D), 2 red squirrels (not grey, red) and a deer. The bunny hopped away happily and the squirrels and the deer suspiciously watched us from the trees as if to say “This is our home, what are you doing here?”;) We headed up to Fairy Castle then down towards Tibradden and then along the main road to Johnny Foxes (my legs felt instantly at home as soon as we hit the tarmac, I need to run more on the hills) then back up to Three Rock and back down to Marlay. What a great way to spend a morning:D:D

Tuesday December 10th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    Recovery 5.06 miles @ 9.10 pace
    With my calf still tight from the race (and possibly the downhills on Monday) I decided to forego the track session and pay a visit to my favourite sport’s therapist. Holy Merde, did he have to work hard (and I didn’t even bring him any cake;)). I was exhausted for the rest of the day so I did the housework as cross-training.

Wednesday December 11th
    45 minute Body Pump class
    8.84 easy miles @ 8.33 pace
    1 hour mat Pilates
    Calf raises and stretches as prescribed by ecoli
    With my calf feeling much better I headed out to do a few easy miles after the class and after the legs warmed up I was flying along in a happy world of Marathontalk and unseasonably warm sunshine, nice easy route in and back along the coast. Popped in to Pilates to loosen out properly after the run.

Thursday December 12th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    Total 11.5 miles
    Track session 3X 5X400m w 1min/3min active recovery
    1.42, 1.46, 1.42, 1.40, 1.40
    1.37, 1.36, 1.36, 1.37, 1.35,
    1,37, 1.38, 1.37, 1.37, 1.32
    This was the session I was supposed to do on Tuesday and as I jogged up to the track and nearly got blown over by the wind I was dreading it, although who ever really looks forward to a track session on their own?;) I got to the track and wished I was anywhere else in the world but the session wasn’t going to do itself so I dived in. I drew a line in the gravel so I could mark off the reps and I hit the lap button on the Garmin each time I finished. I jogged the 1 min, 3 minutes rest but by the last set I was probably jogging slower than I would walk:eek: This was TOUGH, I was worried about my calf (which did get tight but was fine later) and it wasn't quite the progression run I had hoped for and I had to work very hard during the last set. When I finished I was disappointed but given the fact I was on my own and I was tired having been up for 2 hours during the night with one of the boys who was sickI suppose it went ok. As time goes on I'll make sure to be fresh for my sessions so I can get the most from them.
    I was very glad to get it finished and jogged back to the gym and rolled out my calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Marthastew wrote: »
    The bunny hopped away happily and the squirrels and the deer watched us from the trees as if to say “Is she going to hug us? Is this a musical number?”

FYP :)

I'm rather surprised your favourite race director hasn't been selling venison out of the boot of his car :);)

RayCun wrote: »
    FYP :)

Too funny! But very believable.

Great running and racing as always O!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'm rather surprised your favourite race director hasn't been selling venison out of the boot of his car :);)
    It pains me to think dat she thinks im more like eoin ryan than a two bit runnerer....

Joy to the world! Well, joy to me actually….. I unknowingly passed a major milestone during my very tough session on Thursday, I had completely forgotten about the 2,000 miles mark and was reminded of it reading career-moves log (congrats cm:)), yay for me and yay for cm:D

Friday December 13th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    Recovery 6.1 miles @9.24 pace

Saturday December 14th
    45 minute Hatha yoga

Sunday December 15th
    16.51 miles @ 8.01 pace
    Meno and I had planned to run this on Saturday but the weather was less than pleasant and also Mr Stew couldn’t make it so we luckily postponed till Sunday. Still very blustery and the wind was tough going at times but for the most part it was a great day for running. We took the easy-peesy option of in and back along the coast, nice and flat if not a little exposed. All was going well till Meno and Mr S started arguing about a route/shortcut and I had to listen to the 2 of them pontificating* on who was right or wrong. A few times I politely reminded them that I took up running in order to get a break from my kids but no joy. I even pointed to a sign saying “Slow, children at play” but still the chattering went on. Luckily they tired themselves out and before long we were on the way back home. Just after Merrion Gate Mr S stopped to pick up something he saw on the side of the road and all was forgiven….. 2 small boxes of Lily O’Brien chocolates that some poor soul must have dropped when they got off the bus. He even carried them all the way home:D Soon after this Meno announced that he would love a McDonalds and then went tearing off and left us to chase him, we weren’t sure if he was feeling good or had headed to Micky Ds (he said he was felling strong but I think he was just annoyed we didn't open the choccies ;) ) After that all we could think of was a strawberry milkshake (we ran in the afternoon, probably too long after breakfast) and the last few miles were tough because we were hungry and tired and then Mr S came up with the brainwave of buying some ice-cream to make milkshakes.….. YUM; milksakes and chocolate, perfect post-run recovery treat:D

Total miles for the week 62.01:D
    I’m delighted with the mileage and the session this week and I'm feeling good and strong. Unfortunately my calf is still a little niggly but is responding well to foam rolling and stretching and I’m taking expert advice from ecoli so all is well.

*I am attempting to raise the standards on my log in the hope that it will sway the votes for Training log of the year ;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yes but who was right about the shortest route?
    I have studied both routes using garmin connect and Google maps and by my calculations the route back was 0.00005 of metre shorter ;):pac:

• Advertisement

You're flying .... as usual ;) Congrats on the 2000 miles - I think it was a dead heat! That was a really solid week. Things are looking rosy for 2014 :D

Monday December 16th
    dip in 40 Foot
    45 minute Body pump class
    My legs were feeling fairly tight after the LSR on Sunday so I was glad I had booked in with ecoli for a rub down and after a very quick dip in the sea I headed over to him. He worked hard to bring some life back into my legs and I managed to fit in a trip to the gym after. I kept the weights very, very light and did the class as recovery.

Tuesday December 10th
    AM: Dip in 40 Foot
    45 minute mat Pilates class
    PM; Club session, 3K time trial. total 5 miles
    Full moon high tide dip in the sea:D
    A glorious morning down at the 40 Foot and I managed to fit in a quick sanity-saver dip in the sea before some more Christmas shopping. A picture postcard scene as I was getting out of the water; early morning sunshine and a fishing boat passed by with 2 seagulls hitching a lift on the bow on the lookout for fish.
    I really enjoyed the Pilates class and my legs were feeling great after it.
    With GAA taking a break for Christmas I was relieved of taxi duty and I managed to make it into the club in the evening. We had a 3K time trial but no Garmins etc allowed, there were prizes for the nearest guess to your finish time; another podium finish for me:D I was 3rd female closest, 8 seconds off my predicted time, I finished in 11.37. I was very happy with that result after such a busy day. I’d be lying if I said I enjoyed it, I spent the whole time I was running talking myself into a good run and only when I finished did I smile:) Coming to the end of my penultimate lap I was lapped by the super-dooper Kielyunusual who was the first finisher:D
    This was followed by a club trip to the pub, I drove as I'm pacing myself for a very busy weekend coming up. When we were leaving I realised I’d be in time to join my 40 foot pals for a full moon dip, I was so glad I did, it was even nicer than the morning and I’m sure the cold water helped with recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Jaysus, that's a week's activity covered in one day!
    Or a month's activity in the case of Digger...

A swim in the morning and then one at night after a trip to the pub. :eek: :)
    It's like 'swim, pilates, run' - who's going to play you in the movie?

jcsmum wrote: »
    A swim in the morning and then one at night after a trip to the pub. :eek: :)
    It's like 'swim, pilates, run' - who's going to play you in the movie?

I heard Meno'froth has taken to acting lessons :D

A very brief update to wind up last week before the chaos and madness of Christmas turns everything into a blur
    A few recovery miles and lots of stretching on Wednesday, no running on Thursday or Friday as I was exhausted and most likely fighting a bug, managed lots of stretching and some Pilates and body pump classes.

Saturday December 21st LSR including St Anne's parkrun, total 18.01 miles
    I had arranged to meet up with meno and Claralara and I was woken before the alarm went off to the sound of the driving rain, I opened the back door to allow the cat out and she took one look and turned around again..... It was clear that this LSR was going to be character building. I'd most definitely be lying if I said this was good fun but in spite of the rain, the dark and the fact that we were all tired and cranky we arrived in Raheny, donned our festive hats and after a lovely pre-race briefing from Killerz we were on our way. I had hoped to run it at PMP pace (7.10) and Meno and I chatted intermittently on the first lap (mostly telling each other how tired we were;)) but heading into the second lap I realised there was only 1 female behind Claralara and ahead of me so I picked it up to finish second lady. Splits, 7.03, 6.55, 6.42, (5.35), finish time 21.08 We tagged on a couple of miles cool down and then joined officer digger for a yummy celebratory breakfast (thanks meno:)). 10.30 on a Saturday morning and we had 18 miles in the training bank:D:D:D
    Sunday morning I managed a few very slow recovery miles to collect the car after a hectic fun-filled say on Saturday.

Total weekly miles 30.02
    Low miles but some quality and I'm happy to have gotten the LSR in with the parkrun and the 3K time trail on Tuesday. I'm hoping to keep things ticking over as much as is possible this week and I'm really looking forward to the LSR from Howth on the 27th. At the same time I'm not going to get stressed if family committments get in the way of the plan, it is Christmas after all:D

Wishing you and yours a very, very Happy Christmas:D:D

Happy xmas MS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Marthastew wrote: »

Saturday December 21st LSR including St Anne's parkrun, total 18.01 miles

That there is good running !!
    I feel a bit ill now, given that I was in a heap at the end of this same parkrun - except my run was most definitely not part of an LSR!
    Super stuff, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Where's the mentions of the pilates, the mocha choca lattes, the spinning class, the dip in the 40 ft, taking the old bike out, the drinks with the girls?????
    My week is not complete.

Betcha MrStew wrote that update................

Happy Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Merry Christmas, Marthastew & family!

Advertisement