Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Once more you've surpassed yourself in both running and reporting terms!!! A huge well done to you- throughly deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Fantastic, very well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Marthastew - your report highlights the reason we staged this event. Myself and Jim were at the Javits Centre when we got the news of the cancellation. Within minutes, we simultaneously came up with the idea of organising a "replacement" marathon. We knew that the correct decision was made to cancel the New York City Marathon and we also knew that so many runners would be disappointed. We rang Liam ( Marathon Chairman ) with our mad idea and he laughed out loud because he had been thinking the very same thing. Within hours, Jim had received basic approval from Gardai, OPW, American Ambassador's office and informed Athletics Ireland. Liam, who has very close links with NYC Marathon people, informed them of our idea and asked them for medals. They agreed straight away and were fully supportive. The thing just grew legs straight away. I received calls from RTE 1, 2FM, Newstalk, TodayFM and BBC Talkback. It was receiving more publicity than our own Marathon. The main group of Dublin Marathon volunteers were delighted to come on board and we also received free services from our suppliers.
    Every volunteer I spoke to last Sunday had a great day and really enjoyed themselves. It was one of those days when it was a pleasure to be involved.

Delighted you got your pb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

12 chapters, 242 pages and not once did my guns get a mention :) Sounds like you might have developed a thing for the soft northern brogue, take note Meno ;)

Well done again, a great time and a super recovery from the injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Very nice to meet you and Mr Stew on Sunday!
    Congrats on all your acheivements in the race... PB, sub 3.30, placing and surviving the dead people chasing you!! Your report is a great read. From the odd few times we passed on Chesterfield you were definitely in full control and myself and Neil had a good feeling you were on for sub 3.30. I was only a little surprised you didn't lap us!

I've on ocassion had a read of some of your log and without doubt you give your training phenomenal commitment. Not sure how you stayed so positive through the injury.
    I'm going to have to get tips from yourself and/or Aimman as to how you can smile at all stages of a marathon!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

There are no words. Even saying, "you are amazing" is such an understatement. Congratulations. Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Coffee, scone, no distraction for the next 20mins, time to read ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done Mrs, you say this year tested your patience, I'd say this year proved your resilience and determination, enjoy the recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congratulations on a brilliant run and report. 3rd place in a marathon is a fantastic achievement. How do you run and chat at the same time ?
    Marthastew wrote: »
    ..... many who had been overtaking us since the start and I told Dave I like to say to myself “See you later” as they pass, we did in fact see a lot of them later. As we started our first of the laps I noticed we had joined quite a nice group and I said “So we must be the 3.30 group”, a few shrieks from everyone and they realised they were going too fast and started to drop back (including 2 females).

Absolutely brilliant !!!! Now I know how to fix congestion issues at my next race. Run up behing people and say loudly "Oh this must be the [insert ridiculously unrealistic time] group". Very cunning tactic :D
    ....I’m sure people thought I was ridiculous, acting as if I’d just won Olympic Gold but I was so happy I couldn’t hide it....

If most of us here finished 3rd in a marathon they'd have to stop us hijacking a bus and trying to take an open topped tour of the city. I know I'd be doing the "Do you know who I am ...?" thing for months. I'm sure people were touched to see how much it meant to you.

And btw - fyp below:
    26.22 miles in 3.25.17, 3rd Female, 22nd out of 147 Finishers (very small highly motivated field)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Started reading your report while waiting for the kids to come out of school and had to stop because I was sniffling in the car; went in to collect kids and three people asked if I was ok, big red eyes on me :o

Brilliant report, brilliant race. I'm so happy that it worked out for you, no one deserved it more. Congratulations :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Congrats on a great run and a great race report. Really enjoyed reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Fantastic! Great report Missus. Congrats on a brilliant run. You so deserved it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done MS thrilled for you. Looking at how you finished there's more to come off that PB as well ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

WooHoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

What a lovely report, sounds like it was a really special day for you. Congrats on a great time, now enjoy the recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Delighted for you. Great read. Well done you and well done DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Lovely report as always. You should be on commission for Kleenex! ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    You should be on commission for Kleenex! ;)

Ah hear, will yeh leave ir ouh......;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Awesome ... everything :D So proud and delighted for you .

Lovely to meet you in Dublin recently and so thrilled for you to have such a new shiny fabulous PB. You are such an inspiration. Time for me to get the finger out and try to stop plodding down the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Congrats on a great run and report MS - so well deserved after all
    your hard work and patience !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thank you all so much for your lovely messages of support, I really enjoyed reading them. This past week has been all about rest and recovery, it's fair to say I am extremely lucky things worked out so well for me on Sunday and while I'd love nothing more than to head out the door for a run up Killiney Hill in this crisp, frosty weather, I know the right thing for me is to take the rest of this month off from running:eek::eek: Yes, you read that correctly, I'm taking a break.....

Monday - Wednesday

Proper, honest to goodness rest, in fact I stayed in my pyjamas all day Monday (I even dropped the boys to/from karate in my jammies) and I ate lots of marathon cake, Auntie Stew had made a chocolate fudge malteser cake, yum:)
    Tuesday and Wednesday I did venture down to the 40 Foot for dips in the sea, but still no exercise.
    Wednesday I also paid a visit to the physio that I only go to see when I have time on my hands:) He is very knowledgable and highly recommended but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have many clients who are from the 100 marathon club:rolleyes: He was horrified at my 4 marathons after returning from injury and he gave me a long speech about cross-training, how I need to be thinking of running when I'm 60, not just this year (I wanted to remind him I'm not that far off 60;) but I just smiled)..... Blah, blah, blah.... It was nearly enough to make me go for a run;) but since I'd decided on a break anyway I took it all on board.
    He pointed out some tenderness in my left heel and said it was the beginning of plantar fasciitis so I'm to get that sorted before I start back again.

Thursday
    75 minute hot Ashtanga yoga
    30 minute spinning class,
    my energy levels seemed great and I was starting to feel sluggish so back to yoga and the gym:)

Friday
    75 minute hot vinyasa yoga
    45 minute body pump
    Still feeling great but I avoided the high impact stuff in the class.

The short term plan is to take the weekend off with more eating and drinking before slowly getting back into it on Monday.

The plan for the rest of the year is to concentrate on strength and core work for the next week then I'll reintroduce gentle running for a couple of weeks.
    After that I'll look at formulating a training plan with London marathon being the main goal in Spring.
    Races definitely in my plan are Raheny 5 mile at the end of January and Donadea 50K in February and I'll hopefully fit in a 5K and a half marathon somewhere along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the NY marathon and a great PB. Finally go to finish reading the race report.

What's all these types of yoga? How many different ways can you stretch an arm or a leg? :confused:

Aimman wrote: »

How many different ways can you stretch an arm or a leg? :confused:

Jaysus Aimmo, she's a married woman .....;)

Saturday and Sunday Rest (aka eating chocolate, drinking wine and making the most of the down time)
    Monday Nov 26th
    Dip in a very rough, windy, wet and fun 40 Foot:D
    45 minute Body Pump Class

After all the overindulging it was time to get back on track and what better way to get back on track than a bracing dip in the Irish Sea? Another washing-machine-type dip that had us all screaming Woo hoo, after we caught our breath;)
    Feeling quite ropey on Sunday morning I decided to give up sweets and alcohol till Christmas Eve, with two alcohol passes to use on two nights between now and then. The reason for this abstinence at this time of year when most of us begin the overindulging? I managed fine after Berlin without all the booze and junk (well, rice krispie buns are pretty much the same as porridge since they are breakfast food;)) and I actually felt much better without it, besides..... look what it’s done for Claralara:)

Tuesday Nov 27th
    Another Dip in a very rough, windy, wet and fun 40 Foot:)
    45 minute Lower body workout class
    Cycling 16 miles; in and out of town to see the physio
    The physio I’m seeing at the moment is in town so instead of jumping on the dart I decided to cycle. I have a lovely road racing bike that Santa got me a few years ago but there is nowhere secure at the physios to lock a bike so I had to make do with my big chunky old bike which was actually not too bad. I was cycling into the wind on the way in so I was well warmed up by the time I got there. My ankle (right, not left as I said in my last post) is feeling great and I was pretty much sure he’d give me the all clear to start back running, no such luck; He poked and prodded and found one teeny little tender area and said I need another week off running:eek:. On a crisp, sunny, frosty morning like today I am really tempted to ignore his advice, especially as my foot feels absolutely fine but I’m looking at this time off as money in the bank for London, the more days I take off now, the less likely I’ll have to take any off when I start back again. Although we’ll see how Zen I am when I go back to him next week;)
    The visit with the physio was going quite well, he did a bit of work on the heel, some hip stretches and I’m sure he was just starting to think I’m not crazy when he got me to do the towel-drag exercises that are good for PF….. I have of course been doing them religiously so I was keen to show off my prowess, started pulling the towel with my toes, I was even tempted to tell him to put some weights on the towel and horror of horrors… one of my toenails stuck to the towel:eek::eek: It was hanging on to my toe by a thread and I didn’t know whether to yank it off or tuck it back in again, I tucked it back in again and it kept dancing about on the towel:eek: The one good thing about this story is that the toenail looked very cute as I had treated myself to a pedicure after the Run anyway in New York.
    While we’re on the topic of New York… New York Road Runners will have to go down in history as having made a monumental cock-up of their handling of the past few weeks, I can fully understand and empathise with their mistakes in the period just after Sandy but so far as a fully registered 2012 runner I have only received three emails in relation to the situation; one on the Wednesday after Sandy saying the marathon would go ahead, one on the Saturday (20 hours after it was officially cancelled) telling me it was cancelled and one two weeks ago asking me for my patience:rolleyes: I can see why people are getting frustrated and it makes me even more and more grateful to Dublin marathon for allowing me the opportunity of finishing this saga in such a wonderful positive way:):):)

Wednesday
    Rest day
    (If you can call Christmas shopping rest:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I managed fine after Berlin without all the booze and junk (well, rice krispie buns are pretty much the same as porridge since they are breakfast food;)) and I actually felt much better without it, besides..... look what it’s done for Claralara:)

I gave up the drink a month before Dublin and even after the race, I wasn't too pushed on getting back to the bottle. I even had to attend AA meetings (Abstinence Anonymous) to wean me back onto the stuff.

Ouch about the toenail too. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Just catching up on a few recent Marathon Talk podcasts this morning. MT podium - very nice !

Thanks for reminding me about marathon talk podcasts. I had lapsed when injured and forgot to go back.:o

Seriously need recipe for those magnificient squares of heavenly delight you produced before the Dublin marathon . Just advise where to send bribes.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Did the toenail fall off finally?? :eek:

You're a good woman, MS.....mind the physio. ;)

All very quiet on here as I have no running to report.... I'm coping well as I've been keeping up the Gangnam Yoga, classes in the gym and the odd jump in the sea. I've had to cut back on the dips in the sea as my Raynuad's (circulation problem in my hands) has been really bad, that could be becasue it is bloody freezing;). I've been gradually upping the weights for upper body workouts so I hope to have Guns to rival Offcier Digger's in the New Year, although I'm not sure how I'll achieve that as I can barely type after yesterday's workoutfrown.png

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Just catching up on a few recent Marathon Talk podcasts this morning. MT podium - very nice !

I haven't had a chance to listen to any recent MT podcasts yet, I'm hoping to be back on the road in a few days so I'll have lots to catch up on as the LSRs start again.
    Did you buy a box of gels to experiment with yet?;)
    Thanks for reminding me about marathon talk podcasts. I had lapsed when injured and forgot to go back.:o

Seriously need recipe for those magnificient squares of heavenly delight you produced before the Dublin marathon . Just advise where to send bribes.;)

Those delicous squares of delight are actually the Avoca Cafe recipe.....

Makes about 16

200g butter
    6 x 65g Mars Bars
    200g Rice Crispies
    250g milk chocolate

Cut the butter and Mars Bars into small chunks and place in a saucepan. Place over a low heat and stir until melted, taking care not to let it burn.
    Combine the Mars Bar mixture with the Rice Crispies in a bowl and mix well. Put into a lined 30x 20x5cm tin and press down with the palm of your hand until firm.
    Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Pour over the contents of the tin, spread evenly with a palette knife and leave to set. When firm, turn out on to a board and cut into squares.

Very scary when you see what goes into them;) Could explain why I'm not losing any weight;) My sister-in-law makes them for me all the time.... I'll make sure to bring some for you to Donadea:):)
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Did the toenail fall off finally?? :eek:

You're a good woman, MS.....mind the physio. ;)

The toenail finally fell off, two more waiting to make their exit;)
    Keep up the good work DD, some fantastic workouts going on over in your log, Boston won't know what hit it in April:D

• Advertisement

[QUO

Those delicous squares of delight are actually the Avoca Cafe recipe.....

Makes about 16

200g butter
    6 x 65g Mars Bars
    200g Rice Crispies
    250g milk chocolate

Cut the butter and Mars Bars into small chunks and place in a saucepan. Place over a low heat and stir until melted, taking care not to let it burn.
    Combine the Mars Bar mixture with the Rice Crispies in a bowl and mix well. Put into a lined 30x 20x5cm tin and press down with the palm of your hand until firm.
    Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Pour over the contents of the tin, spread evenly with a palette knife and leave to set. When firm, turn out on to a board and cut into squares.

Very scary when you see what goes into them;) Could explain why I'm not losing any weight;) My sister-in-law makes them for me all the time.... I'll make sure to bring some for you to Donadea:):)

[/QUOTE]

OMG:eek::eek::eek:Thanks God I just had the one. They are fab though. MIght make small portion for all my Christmas running ;)

Advertisement