Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Younganne wrote: »
    its definitely one event that not too many will be able to claim... to have run the NY marathon in Dublin!!!
    It'll be kinda like the 1947 All Ireland played in NYC!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

belcarra wrote: »
    It'll be kinda like the 1947 All Ireland played in NYC!

The less said about that the better. :(

Anyway O, have a great run. No doubt you'll be beaming all the way around regardless. Looking forward to your report!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Monday Nov 12th
    6.16 steady hilly miles @8.33 pace
    45 minute Body Pump Class

Tuesday Nov 13th

45 minute Lower body workout class
    45 minute Hatha Yoga Class

Wednesday Nov 14th

Sports massage
    1 hour Hot Vinyasa Yoga class
    I managed to get an appointment for a sports massage and I was a little shocked at how tight my legs were, although DCM and Runanyway were bound to have had an effect. I was amazed at how bendy and flexible I was in yoga afterwards:D*

(insert rude joke here*)

Thursday Nov 13th

Recce Run in Phoenix Park 8.21 miles @ 8.27 pace
    I had to meet a pal in town and my gym has a branch in Temple Bar so this was the perfect opportunity to pop down to the Park and get my head in the right place for Sunday. The good news is that after the massage I had to fight to keep the pace slow. After 5 miles I gave up and allowed myself two miles @ PMP (or a little faster) and I was on a high during this run. I didn’t cover the whole route but the bits I ran were nice and flat. Sun shining, Marathon talk on my iPod and happy legs, what more could you ask for? Always one for signs of good luck I was delighted to hear Marathon talk’s Rave this week… The Dublin Marathon New York Marathon:D:D.

Friday Nov 14th
    Pie-day
    A guilt free pie-day for me as I was hosting a coffee morning in aid of the Irish Cancer Society ahead of tomorrow; I’ve got a fun mini triathlon with the boys at the 40 Foot (ages of participants range from 8 years old to 80 years old@) so I won’t bother trying to fit in a few leg loosening miles.
    I did lots of rice krispie buns but in my defence it was all in a good cause@
    Overall I’ve pretty much escaped taper madness except for the following signs
    · I almost didn’t tuck my gorgeous 9 year old into bed the other night because he has quite a bad head cold. His big brown eyes won in the end and I’m very lucky to be sniffle free as I type...
    · I met a black cat on the road, he crossed my path and then I stopped and had a chat with him and asked him to wish me luck, he did wish me luck;)
    · I chased a magpie down the road (Racheljev told me “one in flight is better than two in sight”)
    · I haven’t been into the church yet as I’m afraid “the Legion of Something or other” will accost me again… there’s still tomorrow to get through though....

Thanks so much for all your support and well wishes:D Mr Stew is pacing the 4.30 group so it will be a turning of the tables of our great day out in DCM:)
    I look forward to seeing some of you on the side-lines on Sunday, although depending on where and when you see me I can’t guarantee I’ll still be smiling. Mr Stew reckons that the only time I really stop talking is in the last few miles of a marathon (and even then it’s only if I’m racing:))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck this weekend. Have a blast and I hope you get the time you're looking for - you definitely deserve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Marthastew wrote: »
    ... as I was hosting a coffee morning in aid of the Irish Cancer Society ahead of tomorrow;

Fantastic Marthastew, well done that's a fantastic cause!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

run happy and free:),if i get tense at the start worrying about chasing a time i just remind myself how lucky we are to be able to run and take part in these wonderfull events,run strong and smart and never give up and sky is your limit,have fun smashing 3.29:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Hope you have a brilliant run, you deserve it. I chased an extra few magpies this morning for luck :D Enjoy and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

3.29 for one, 4.29 for the other - GoStewsGo!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    3.29 for one, 4.29 for the other - GoStewsGo!! :)

Not sure about the 3:29, I think quite a bit faster than that. You probably hope she only tries to do 3:29 so that your PB is not in danger ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »

Not sure about the 3:29, I think quite a bit faster than that. You probably hope she only tries to do 3:29 so that your PB is not in danger ;)

The stews already have my pb.... Absolutely no doubts she can/will go faster but this will be her 4th Marathon in like 6 weeks and despite the 40 foot swims, body pumping classes and gangham yoga, she's not getting any younger ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    The stews already have my pb.... Absolutely no doubts she can/will go faster but this will be her 4th Marathon in like 6 weeks and despite the 40 foot swims, body pumping classes and gangham yoga, she's not getting any younger ;):)

OOOOOH that's fighting talk. Take it to the smackdown thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck in park O, hope you have a great run

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have a blast Marthastew! Bring it home...
    Don't listen to Jimmy Digger Saville, you're only getting younger with every race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Good luck tomorrow. Think of the rice krispie treats :) By the way I grabbed one off you in mcgrattans after DCM, it was savage, what sweets did you have on top? Where they skittles? Very nice anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done today MS. Looked very strong at the end and a lovely touch crossing the line ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Well done today MS. Looked very strong at the end and a lovely touch crossing the line ;-)

How did MS get on pistol? For us not in the know.

Congrats MS in advance!! :)

:D:D

3.25.XX (forgot to stop Garmin I was so happy!)
    Crossed the Finish Line with my boys:)
    AND (very small field). 3rd Female!
    I even got a plague presented by Jim
    Aughney.

Thanks again to everyone for all your super support and well wishes, long winded emotional report will follow when the hangover from this evening fades;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

blockic wrote: »

How did MS get on pistol? For us not in the know.

Congrats MS in advance!! :)

3:25:xx and 3rd lady home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You are one amazing lady!!!! Congratulations - you've worked hard, and that time is so well deserved. Can't wait to read the report - I better get my tissues ready.

:
    I even got a plague presented by Jim Aughney.
    Fantastic Stuff! Congrats! Maybe leave the plague where you found it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Since this was the NY marathon I can can only say .... Yo - that's bad ! You rock ! High five there !

3rd overall is truely outstanding. And this is marathon #4 in the last 6 weeks ? I gotta try this chasing magpies training program.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yheno

Congratulations on a great pb have followed logs with great interest and have come on board;) .....finally..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done today. Absolutely brilliant run.
    Was a pleasure to meet you and the rice krispie buns were just fantastic.
    You were looking so relaxed when you passed us. Mr marthastew is going to have to be looking over his shoulder in Boston.

Sunday November 18th, Dublin Marathon New York Marathon

Anyone who has read one of my race reports knows they are usually longwinded, emotional and lacking in technical details so if that’s what you’re into read on….

Background;
    The one thing that running has definitely taught me is patience and this past year has indeed tested my patience. This time last year I mapped out my 2012 as follows; Donadea 50K in February as a stepping stone into the wonderful world of Ultra running in Connemara in April. My next goal was to be a sub 3.30 in Berlin followed by DCM and New York for fun…. The best laid plans of mice and runners.......
    I stupidly ignored a niggle in July and ended up out of action for 7 whole weeks, rotten luck you might say, but looking back I know I have no one to blame but myself, I had had alarm bells going off in my head for a while and ignored them. Like most lessons I had learnt this one the hard way and it confirmed that I still had a lot to learn in the world of running. It also served to confirm that running is what I love more than anything in the world (well, of course that is apart from Mr Stew, my boys, my family, and all of you, my boards friends;)….. ) All that energy I had put into running I now used to get back on the road. Fortunately for me I made a slow comeback in the last week in September.
    Berlin marathon was amazing and after a great night celebrating with Mr Stew and all the boardsies I then focussed on getting back some of that fitness I had lost and maybe chasing that marathon PB. I gave up drink (apart from the very odd thimble full of wine) and cut back on the rice krispie buns. DCM this year was such a special experience for me and I loved every minute of the pacing and four days after that I hopped on a plane to New York. I had no idea how my legs would feel after DCM but I fully intended giving sub 3.30 a shot. There is no need for me to go into the details of what then transpired and while I was upset about the cancellation I most definitely felt it was the right decision. I had travelled there with my Canadian friend and we ran the Run Anyway marathon in Central Park on Sunday and had a super time. The next day we received confirmation that the wonderful people at Dublin Marathon would be hosting a race for us to get our New York medals and I couldn’t believe I was being given this amazing opportunity to once again chase my PB.
    I was out celebrating a friend’s birthday on Saturday night (the date had been chosen months ago with a view to me celebrating after New York). Mr Stew had suggested that I cancel but my friends are a great support to me and I didn’t want to let them down. I drank lots of water (not even a thimble full of wine) and ate lots of carb rich foods (not too many bad things) and I was relaxed and calm heading to bed.

Race Morning

November 18th has always been quite a momentous date in my life and when I woke my first thought was that I hoped that today would bring another new reason for it to be momentous. I had had a great night’s sleep, 6 hours uninterrupted and then I managed to doze on and off until I finally got up at 6.45. I had a pint of hot water with lemon and my usual pre-race breakfast of Bagel with peanut butter, banana and honey and two cups of coffee. I had to wake Mr Stew who could sleep for Ireland and before long Auntie Stew had arrived to mind the boys and we were on our way into the Phoenix Park. We were both relaxed and happy and really looking forward to the day. A crisp glorious autumn morning greeted us as we drove into the park, although the footpaths were quite icy. I knew the ice would burn off as soon as the sun got higher in the sky but I had no problem in deciding between long-sleeves or vest, it was cold and damp. I had brought a hat and jacket to wear for the first mile. Registration was a really relaxed affair and Mr Stew left me to get organised with his pacing duties. I met up with lots of runners I had met in Central Park and before we knew it they were asking us to line up behind the start gantry as 9.30 was approaching fast. Walking up to the start area I fell in line with a club-runner and started chatting with him. I asked him what his plan for the day was and he replied he wasn’t sure (the disruption to training had messed up most people’s plans) he said his marathon PB was 3.20 and I told him I was heading out at 7.50 pace if he fancied joining me to keep things slow to start. He said he’d be delighted to join me, I told him not to feel under any obligation to stick with me as I’d likely be too slow for him but he seemed happy enough. When we got to the start area I introduced him to Mr Stew in case he thought he had just joined forces with some kind of Cougar or Bunny boiler:eek: We managed to catch up very briefly with the other wonderful boardsie pacers; (4:00; The_Boy_Wonder, neilc. 4:30: Mr. MarthaStew, BrokenMan. 5:00; Breffni Blue, mathso) The Star Spangled Banner and the Irish national anthem were played and then the gun went off……

Race
    My first feeling was one of joy and relief, I was finally on my way to a PB, and I honestly believed I was. I had posted on the main forum looking for advice on how to treat the two extra weeks I had been given to get into PB shape and luckily for me I was given sage advice (thanks guys:D) which all boiled down to one thing…. Confidence. In the run up to this race I had been foolishly concentrating on the fact that I had missed 7 weeks of training but ignoring all the other hard work I had done. As we all know, our strongest muscle is our mind and after reading those replies I completely changed my attitude. I nominated myself as the 3.30 pacer and I told myself I would most definitely run at that pace or faster. When Kurt was looking for Pacers it became clear that the demographic of this race would be a little different (not many club runners) and that I might be in with a chance of a placing. However I decided that my plan for the day was to run my own race wherever it brought me on the list of finishers. I settled in beside Dave and we started to exchange life stories (He’s from Northern Ireland, lives in London, married with two girls) and I told him that no matter how tough our day was we wouldn’t have to work as hard Anto, Eamo, Ray and all those runners in Six Mile Bridge (Little did I know they had such horrific weather conditions).

The route took us on one lap around North Road, by the zoo and back up Chesterfield. I was delighted to hear a shout out from a friend of mine from college and before we knew it we were back at the beginning of our 5 lap route which would take us up and down Chesterfield then Odd Lamp Rd, North Rd, OS Rd, then Furze Rd.

I had finally started to warm up so I dropped my hat and scarf and then my jacket went soon after. There were a good few people ahead of us at this stage (approx. 5 females) many who had been overtaking us since the start and I told Dave I like to say to myself “See you later” as they pass, we did in fact see a lot of them later. As we started our first of the laps I noticed we had joined quite a nice group and I said “So we must be the 3.30 group”, a few shrieks from everyone and they realised they were going too fast and started to drop back (including 2 females). The laps up and down Chesterfield were a super opportunity to see who was ahead of you and it was also good fun seeing the leaders. Already at this early stage of the day there was plenty of support along the route and the volunteers were super. There were marshals stationed at various points checking off our numbers to ensure we did the correct amount of laps and they always had a smile and a cheer for us.

During our first lap Dave and I were thrilled to see it was such an easy course, a good few of sharp turns but in a marathon (at my pace) that wasn’t going to be a huge issue. We had to keep an eye on the pace as it kept gently creeping up a little but we were more or less averaging 7.50 pace. Again we overtook a few people and we’d usually slow a little and chat with them for a bit. One of the coaches from Crusaders had come out to support us and he gave us a big shout out as we entered onto Chesterfield for the last part of the first lap. And then we were on our 2nd lap which passed by nicely, the miles ticking away (again at roughly 7.50 pace) and Dave and I chatting and admiring the beautiful, beautiful scenery in the park. I’m not sure at what point in the race we started to lap people but my heart really went out to some of them, walking, jogging or running on their own, mostly in charity T-shirts and it was clear they were doing this race to honour their commitments. It can’t have been at all easy as once we left Chesterfield the only support came from the marshals (who were fabulous). We always made sure to give them a big cheer as we passed.

We started into lap 3 still chatting (Dave is from Northern Ireland so I was thinking I had Meno by my side in terms of the chatting and accent;)) we were feeling great and a group of four runners joined us, it became clear that sub 3.30 was also their goal and this lap turned out to be really great fun and we were chatting away not really noticing the miles adding up. One of our group (a lovely guy called Shaun) was very attached to his Garmin and he kept telling us to slow (he was working off kilometres) and I was happy enough at this early stage to pull back a little. My plan had been 7.50 pace but a few seconds slower at this stage wasn’t going to do me any harm, in fact I knew it would stand to me. There was another guy from Northern Ireland, a Dutch guy living here in Dublin and a guy from Dublin so we all had plenty to chat about and we all exchanged our stories from our trip to New York and our running histories. We all agreed we were very fortunate to have been given this wonderful opportunity to run for our medals. We lapped Mr Stew, broken man and the 4.30 group (at least I think it was this lap). Mr Stew yelled at me to make sure and beat his Berlin time of 3.27, at that stage I thought I’d be able to do so but it was still too early in the race to be getting carried away.

Heading into Chesterfield again and my club mate on the side-lines told me I was 4th female so I secretly hoped that I’d make my way up to 3rd. As we headed up Chesterfield I could see the 3rd female heading down it so I told our group that I would hopefully catch up on her, it was great to be in the group at this stage as I’m not sure I would have had the discipline on my own to stick at my planned pace, I might have blown it and tried too hard to overtake her (although I like to think I wouldn’t have). By the time we were starting into our 4th lap we overtook her, again we smiled and chatted and wished her luck and on we went. A bit further Dave asked me did I want him to look back and see where she was, he said she didn’t look like she could catch us and she was X yards/feet/metres behind us and I had to explain that I’m useless when it comes to distance so one of the guys very kindly said something to the effect of “See that car there? Well she’s that far away”
    The lead cyclist came upon us and told us we were about to be lapped then the motorbike passed and we clapped and cheered the leader on his way. And on we ran chatting and by now Dave joked that Shaun should cover up his Garmin and enjoy the run:rolleyes: I was barely glancing at my Garmin at this stage as I knew he wouldn’t let us go too fast. Our miles were averaging 7.50 or thereabouts. As we arrived at Chesterfield to finish the 4th lap the crowds were building and I was delighted to see Auntie Stew with my boys, my college friend back again, my Canadian friend’s family and another runner friend. My boys and Spanishstew ran alongside me for a while and I was almost pinching myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming... happiness is feeling strong in a marathon with your sons running with you telling you you’re the best Mum in the world and that they love you:) It was so much fun as I knew I definitely had the sub 3.30 and that I could now try and pick things up slowly on the last lap. We had noticed that our pace had always naturally quickened on Chesterfield and Shaun was telling us to slow down but I said I felt like picking it up and Dave said he was up for it also so we left the rest of the group (I felt bad doing so but I would never expect anyone to hold back for me in a race). And then we were on our last lap, we took great pleasure in telling the marshals that we wouldn’t see them again and we thanked them for all their hard work. We both said our legs were starting to hurt but that we felt good for a strong enough finish. I noticed that if we were chatting we slowed a little so we gradually fell into a rhythm of running and only chatting now and again. I started spouting my usual crap inspirational lines… 5K is nothing, we could do that in our sleep, it will all be over in under 25 minutes…. At this point Dave pointed to a black armband he was wearing and told me he was running this marathon in memory of one of his fellow club runners who aged just 59, had unfortunately died while out running just two weeks before New York. We chatted about his friend and Dave joked that he could imagine his friend huffing and puffing behind us. I then told him why November 18th was such a big date in my life; 36 years ago my dad had passed away on this day, we decided that the last few miles were for Dave’s friend and my dad. By now we had turned into two nutters running in the park imagining dead people chasing us;) One of the many, many things that I love about marathon running (for me anyway) is that raw emotional state you enter into in the last few miles and just after the finish. It’s as if all that running has stripped you of all those layers of comfort and security and it’s just you, your legs, your lungs and your emotions that will get you to that Finish line.
    Luckily for us our legs weren’t going to let us down and as we entered onto Chesterfield for that last up and down, the crowds were fantastic and I kept yelling at everyone we passed “We’re nearly there”. The run up Chesterfield seemed so much longer this time round and I said to Dave “Where the hell is that bloody turnaround?” we passed the 25 mile marker and then we were on our way down, still lots of people cheering. I noticed a female running up Chesterfield, I thought she was still a good bit away but what would I know? I’m crap with distances so I told Dave I’d have to pick it up to keep my podium place. He very kindly told me to push on and I told him I’d see him at the Finish.
    Joy of joys I still had it in me to pick up the pace (in fact my 26th mile was my fastest of the whole race; 7.19) and I was running down Chesterfiled, I spotted Pistol75 and a friend of mine who had already finished and his wife and they were all very kindly shouting my name. This made me start singing the Florence and The Machine song (thankfully in my head, not out loud) the one with “Say my name…”. I saw the marshals at the end of Chesterfield, yelled my number to them and entered the finishing straight up the footpath. My boys were beside me shouting “nearly there Mum, keep going” and I was glad of the company as the gantry seemed so far away. Up ahead I saw two old dears out for their Sunday constitutional and my 11 year old was screaming at them to get off the path, the poor things;) I yelled at him not to worry and ran round them, I’m sure they had no clue they were on the finishing route of a marathon:o My oldest told me he could see the clock (ahh, youth and its great eyesight:D) and told me I had 39 seconds to get in under 3.25 so I picked it up and then I was crossing the line and the clock said 3.25.17 and I could hear the announcer saying here comes the 3rd lady and her whole family:D

SHEER RELIEF; was my number one feeling and then of course, joy:) Jim Aughney presented me with a plaque (not the plague, luckily;)) and I gave him a hug and thanked him about a million times, not just for the plaque but for the whole day. And then I got my medal and even a t-shirt! Dublin marathon had well and truly outdone themselves and I’m eternally grateful for such a unique and wonderful opportunity to get my New York 2012 medal.
    My friend had a flask of hot chocolate for me (she is now elevated to best friend ever) and Auntie Stew had rice krispie buns. Dave arrived just 14 seconds after me so he was welcomed into our group where chocolate and happiness were overflowing. As if things couldn’t get any better Mr Stew was now arriving up Chesterfield finishing his 4th lap so I ran out with my plaque and I’m sure people thought I was ridiculous, acting as if I’d just won Olympic Gold but I was so happy I couldn’t hide it. Not just because of the PB and the New York medal but because this race had gotten the injury monkey off my back, I was finishing the year on a high, I had paid a visit to the last chance saloon and I was leaving in victory:D

I popped in for a massage while Mr Stew finished and I was very popular with all the volunteers as Auntie Stew had made a huge box of rice Krispie buns for me to hand out. My friend Karen arrived in, thrilled with another sub 4 finish, I was so proud of her as she had to run on her own a lot and two marathons in two weeks is a great achievement. Then I popped back out in time to see Mr Stew and brokenman finish and they were quite literally dragging a guy over the line. They both had had a great day and met and helped lots of wonderful people along the way.

As we all headed home I was thinking of all those volunteers and runners and walkers who would still be out for a while and I mentally wished them well as we left the park.

Happiness is pushing your limits and watching them back down

(cheesy sports ad:rolleyes: but it has always stuck with me)

26.22 miles in 3.25.17, 3rd Female, 22nd out of 147 Finishers (very small field, hence the placing)

Splits
    (ignore the last split, I forgot to stop my watch)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244467915

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Fantastic Well done and your 3rd place and great time are well deserved. Great report, as always!!:D

A wonderful read. Well done again Olwyn. A moment to savour.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

a great read,a great marathon time,all from a great person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

(Dave is from Northern Ireland so I was thinking I had Meno by my side in terms of the chatting and accent;)) [QOUTE]
    great read and well done,,,,,,lucky for u he wasnt from coolock,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Happy ending to a nightmare situation in new york. well done on that result, its very inspiring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I always get tears in my eyes reading your race reports. I think its cause you convey the pleasure and the pain so well (and not just cause I am an emotional cripple :rolleyes:)

I think your friend Karen was running with us in the Athlone 3/4 .... serious stuff from her.

And you, Marthastew are just a legend :D

Advertisement