Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

kit3 wrote: »
    Hi Martha,

When are you heading to New York ? Talk on the weather forum about a big storm hitting there early next week - hope it doesn't affect you
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    Nah, Sandy is due to hit late Sunday/Monday. Will be well gone by marathon weekend. It's actually been a very mild autumn so far - fingers crossed.

Whew! I thought I was going to have to call on my aunt for another novena;) I ran Boston in 2010, the year of the volcano and her prayers got me on one of the two flights that left Dublin on the Friday before the airport shut down:)

How are you Kit? All set for Monday? I'm thrilled your injury has cleared up, very, very best of luck:)

And how are you and Mrs P coping with taper madness in the house? Or have Obama and Romney taken over every conversation in America? I'm getting very excited for Nov 4th and in the meantime I have DCM to look forward to; I'm like the cat who got the cream:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Jumping in here (sorry!!)....the election is all we eat, drink and sleep. I even went to Paddy Power's website today to see who had the edge since historically the Irish bookies get it right. It's still showing Obama as the predicted winner (yay!!)...but I loved that Paddy Power even has a market called Trump Deal Specials, with a subcategory of "Obama to announce that Trump is a jackass" by October 31st. Brilliant!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Marthastew wrote: »
    Whew! I thought I was going to have to call on my aunt for another novena;) I ran Boston in 2010, the year of the volcano and her prayers got me on one of the two flights that left Dublin on the Friday before the airport shut down:)

How are you Kit? All set for Monday? I'm thrilled your injury has cleared up, very, very best of luck:)

Glad you are in the clear - looks to be some storm at the moment ! Looking forward to Monday here - not sure what to expect given the last few weeks but will certainly enjoy it in any case - like a kid waiting for Christmas here ! Will keep an eye out for you as I make my way past towards the 4.30 pacers - relying on your brown bread recipe for my fueling - works well for me ! Looking forward to hearing how you get on in New York - very best of luck. C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Does she do injuries or PBs :D.
    And how are you and Mrs P coping with taper madness in the house? Or have Obama and Romney taken over every conversation in America? I'm getting very excited for Nov 4th and in the meantime I have DCM to look forward to; I'm like the cat who got the cream:D

Best of luck with the pacing gig in Dublin. Cannot quite belief Berlin, Dublin and NY in a few months.

Taper is actually pretty chilled out. It's a lot easier when you get to sleep in you own bed the night before ( last two marathons involved crossing the Atlantic). Early next week if we end up holed up with Sandy pounding at the door it might be a bit different. Besides I have been "volunteered" - yes Mrs P - into helping out with a 5k next Saturday so I have been busy stuffing bags, etc.

We're pretty much with Dory on the election, but where we live the way the state will vote in not in any real doubt so there's no real controversy.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Jumping in here (sorry!!)....the election is all we eat, drink and sleep. I even went to Paddy Power's website today to see who had the edge since historically the Irish bookies get it right. It's still showing Obama as the predicted winner (yay!!)...but I loved that Paddy Power even has a market called Trump Deal Specials, with a subcategory of "Obama to announce that Trump is a jackass" by October 31st. Brilliant!!!! :D

Boards own version of Paddy Power is Brianderunner, you should check what odds he's giving:D
    I was on a layover in the US 12 years ago when Bush got in so I'm hoping this visit has a much better election result:)
    kit3 wrote: »
    Glad you are in the clear - looks to be some storm at the moment ! Looking forward to Monday here - not sure what to expect given the last few weeks but will certainly enjoy it in any case - like a kid waiting for Christmas here ! Will keep an eye out for you as I make my way past towards the 4.30 pacers - relying on your brown bread recipe for my fueling - works well for me ! Looking forward to hearing how you get on in New York - very best of luck. C
    I'm currently carb loading with Guinness bread, yum:) Might see you in McGrattans?
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    Does she do injuries or PBs :D.

Best of luck with the pacing gig in Dublin. Cannot quite belief Berlin, Dublin and NY in a few months.

Taper is actually pretty chilled out. It's a lot easier when you get to sleep in you own bed the night before ( last two marathons involved crossing the Atlantic). Early next week if we end up holed up with Sandy pounding at the door it might be a bit different. Besides I have been "volunteered" - yes Mrs P - into helping out with a 5k next Saturday so I have been busy stuffing bags, etc.

We're pretty much with Dory on the election, but where we live the way the state will vote in not in any real doubt so there's no real controversy.

Enjoy the 5K duties, you'll earn some good running brownie points and reap the rewards on Nov 4th:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Enjoy the pacing gig and all the passengers on the 4.15 Bus are lucky to have you.

No offence but i don't want to see you anytime during the race, if i do i'm in trouble!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'm currently carb loading with Guinness bread, yum:)
    I like Guinness bread... :rolleyes: Just saying...

(^^^ pssst...."like" is not the strongest emotion I would have picked if I was trying to drop a hint. Just sayin' ;))

Marthastew!!!! Yes, the 4:15 train to the finish line is so very lucky to have you as their hostess with the mostest. I can see you taking care of their every need and encouraging them along....making sure they are in a good place and giving them valuable guidance. You have the instincts of a nurturing mother, for sure. Have fun, and enjoy the joy you bring to everybody and everything!! Double woo hoo!!!! :D:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Enjoy the pacing gig and all the passengers on the 4.15 Bus are lucky to have you.

No offence but i don't want to see you anytime during the race, if i do i'm in trouble!!;)

Don't worry Ann, the only times you'll see me is when you're celebrating your sub 4 in McGrattans,
    you will have a wonderful race; just remember all your hard work in training and the fact that the running Gods will be smiling on you because of your fantastic mentoring:D

A very quick update of the past week before the fun and games begin:)

Mon Oct 22nd
    Steady 6 miles @ 8.20 pace
    45 min Body pump class

Tues Oct 23rd
    Dip in 40 Foot
    45 min lower body workout class
    45 min Pilates class

Wed Oct 24th
    Pacer Practice; 12.38 miles @ 9.34 pace.
    In order to make the slower pace easier for me I had no breakfast (well, 2 cups of black coffee) and no fuel during this run. I didn't start till 10.30 and my tummy was growling as I headed out the door;) After the first few miles I settled into 9.40 pace and then when I hit the 12 mile mark I allowed myself pick the pace up as much as I wanted (woo hoo, it felt good to speed up, I'm feeling strong).

Thurs Oct 25th
    4.21 recovery miles @ 9.10 pace
    75 minute Ashtanga Yoga

Fri Oct 26th
    Half hour foam rolling and stretching
    45 min Body pump class

I'll probably run a couple of miles tomorrow just to keep the legs happy.
    I'm really, really looking forward to the next week; pacing Dublin on Monday and then New York next Sunday. I don't want to jinx myself (and of course I'm knocking on wood, fingers and toes crossed etc as I type this:)) but my injury and all the stress it brought are almost a distant memory at this stage:D:D:D

I hope everyone on Monday has a really, really wonderful day; whether you're racing, pacing or cheering from the sidelines (or in the case of our US based friends Dory and PGMCPQ.. Cheering from across the pond:)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I think you should race NYC...
    ;-)

See ya later at the expo!

October 29th
    Dublin City Marathon, Pacer 4.15
    My pacing duties started with a stint on the pacer stand in the RDS on Saturday afternoon and it was great fun, as I was standing there giving advice I was struck by the fact that only four years ago I was one of those nervous first-timers wandering round the expo in a daze. It was great fun to be a part of the excitement and I got a chance to catch up with lots of familiar faces also.
    Fast forward to Monday morning after a very busy weekend and I was in the car on the way into The Mespil hotel where the pacers were assembling. I popped my pacer backpack and flag on the passenger seat beside me and it looked like I had a smiley face passenger sitting there:)
    All set and ready to go we headed up to the starting area and I have to admit to using my pacer flag to skipping the queue for the portaloos. That familiar gut-wrenching smell that reminds you it’s the morning of a race was everywhere:eek:
    We popped into our corrals and waited patiently to start. We were starting at the front of wave 3 so we had a while to go before we crossed the line, really enjoyable national anthem and cheers and claps for the start of the other two waves and the nervous energy was building around us, I had lots of people come up to say hello and we made our way to the start line and eventually we were off…..
    The first thing I told myself after I pressed start on the Garmin was SLOW DOWN as I knew I would have to be disciplined with the pace. I had the pleasure of pacing with Officer Digger, Kurt Gödel and Ankers and I knew we’d keep each other in line. I don’t think I stopped smiling once during the next 26.2 miles, it was one of the most an amazing days I’ve ever had and quite possibly my most enjoyable marathon.
    As expected the first few mile markers were out but our pacees were a wonderful group and they knew they could trust us. We slipped into the following routine for the day;
    Kurt would call out how we were doing as we’d pass a mile marker, Ankers would be chatting and cheering up those around him and Digger and I assumed the role of annoying chatterboxes, generally helping pissing off the runners by cheering and shouting a lot.
    We got to the Phoenix Park and as expected everybody around us was happy and chatting. I was very sad to see Emer911 hobbling at the 5 mile mark and I spent the next 11 miles thinking of her and hoping that a miracle would come her way (turns out it did, she passed us like a bat out of hell at 16 miles, all strapped up and went on the PB:D)
    Out the gates of the park and I almost chopped a volunteer’s arm off with my pacer’s flag as he held up isotonic drinks and I whizzed by, oops. The crowd support along the route was deafening at times and when we arrived we’d bring the noise up a notch by asking them to cheer for the 4.15 group, it was so much fun. We saw RQ soon after that and she was jumping up and down to say hi to Paul and I had to yell at her, she didn’t even recognise me:o (she later gave me a hug and some chocolate in McGrattans so all was forgiven). Soon after we saw the lovely SunflowerRo and she recognised me, it took me a second to recognise her but I was delighted to get the shout out (take note RQ;)). The support from locals was just fantastic, we were buzzing as we whizzed by.
    The drag through Crumlin was naturally tough for a lot of people but as we were in such a big group we weren’t too exposed. From Kurt’s calculations (he knows his stuff) and photos we had about 500 runners with us, it felt crowded and we had to watch our step but it never felt too crowded, I think most people were rightly thinking there’s safety in numbers. We arrived at the half way mark bang on schedule with 2.07.09 on my Garmin and spirits were high. Around this time we started to lose one or two of our group and we had been picking up extras on the way. I chatted with one of our group who was music teacher and she remarked that the beat of our footsteps was rhythmical and comforting:)
    The miles were ticking by nicely with most people still looking good. Digger was telling us jokes... all was well in the world of the 4.15 group. This was my 4th Dublin marathon so I’m fairly familiar with the route, I love when we get to Bushy park, the trees are so pretty and you are heading into huge support along the route. By now people were starting to talk about the hills in Milltown and Clonskeagh but we knew we had a few seconds in the bank and told them not to worry. Digger was superb on the uphills and reminded people to tuck in elbows and dig deep. Before we knew it we were gliding down Fosters Avenue and I kept telling everyone to enjoy the cheers at the bottom. The N11 to the flyover was tight and crowded and you could tell people were getting tired at this stage but a huge cheering crowd as we crossed over and down got everyone’s spirits up at this stage. Somebody asked me had we reached 21 miles yet and I told her she was in good shape as we were just about to reach the 22 mile marker, she was so happy. I got cheers from a few friends on the way down Nutley (they told me they wanted to join us we all looked so happy). My friend’s mum comes out every year to cheer me at the Merrion and sure enough she was there, I asked everyone to shout “Hi Eithne” and I was surprised how many people shouted out, she was thrilled:D By now I had started the “not long to go…. dig deep… you can do it…” I’m pretty sure if anyone had the energy they would have decked me;) Past the 23 mile marker and Auntie Stew was waiting with my boys, they cheered and were very proud (although I’m sure they were still upset that they wouldn’t get a huge pacer’s balloon to keep)
    By now i was saying “only 5K left, you can do it… it’s all in the mind...” etc etc and again the runners were too tired to tell me to shut the f*k up;) Up over the canal and the problem we had now was the supporters spilling onto the road, our pace was dropping because we were so cramped, I was glad we had a few seconds in the bank. We were overtaking people all the way from here and one person said “oh Sh*t” and sped up when she saw our flags, it was like we were the Bogeymen coming to get them:) As we ran along we would swallow up the runners into our group and just before Pearse St I noticed a guy (could have been Meno’s cousin, glasses, peaked cap and Northern Irish accent) telling us we were like a Steam train, he was thrilled to join our group for a little while and was even more vociferous than me:) we sadly left him but he found us after the finish. Past the Fire Station and around by Trinity and the crowds were deafening, I was cheering and clapping and screaming as loud as I could and half way up Dawson St I started to tell people to push on for the last stretch and then I glanced at my Garmin and was shocked to see 4.14 so I headed over the line with lots of smiling people:D:D:D

A wonderful, wonderful day out made all the more special by my super fellow pacers; digger, kurt and Ankers and also the wonderful pacees we had and especially the amazing people of Dublin who came out to cheer us on. big, big thanks and well done and congratulations to allsmile.png

Chip Time 4.14.38, as they say on Marathon Talk; Get in!

My favourite banner of the day
    “Look Alive, mortuary ahead”
    I also LOVED the two 11850 guys dancing on the wall and the Ukulele players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woah, woah - if I hadn't had to shout TWICE at Paul I'd have had my second shout at you. Best part was digger was shouting back abusing me and he STILL didn't notice I was there. That must have been a seriously hot arse in front of him! I know I'm not very loud and hard to hear and all but jeez you'd have thought he'd hear digger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Woah, woah - if I hadn't had to shout TWICE at Paul I'd have had my second shout at you. Best part was digger was shouting back abusing me and he STILL didn't notice I was there. That must have been a seriously hot arse in front of him! I know I'm not very loud and hard to hear and all but jeez you'd have thought he'd hear digger.

One of the pacees said to me after I shouted at you ''What's the story with yer wan and the Black Death''? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

it was lovely to meet you up in dublin marthastew,you come across on boards as a lovely lady,and in person aswell,your also mad as a hatter:D,great race report as usual and a fantastic pacing job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the pacing, how are things looking for NY?

Two words: you rock. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice recount of the day - enjoy NYC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Great report as usual MS, how did Mr Stew get on?
    Hope NY works out, I'm in florida at the mo and things look pretty messy up there! There also seems like a huge appetite to get things back to normal ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done on a great job MS and thanks for both covering for me at the expo for my tardiness and then also living up to your word and fending off all comers for the last remaining choc rice crispie treat that your Sister made - It was delicious!!

Hope NYC returns to somewhat normality asap. I'm sure given the timing there'll be an even better atmosphere again at it this year.
    Say hi to Sayno if you come in contact with him!

@Sideswipe: Mr MS did a phenomenal time of just under 3:20!!

• Advertisement

If you are heading to NY, then the very best of luck to you....both in your travel and at the race. I wish I were closer, I'd come and cheer you on....and then party with you afterwards. ;) Post your bib number so we all can follow you....text, call, whatever you want...but most of all....embrace what you are doing in the environment you are doing it in. And rock it like only Marthastew knows how!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

belcarra wrote: »
    Well done on a great job MS and thanks for both covering for me at the expo for my tardiness and then also living up to your word and fending off all comers for the last remaining choc rice crispie treat that your Sister made - It was delicious!!!
    OMG just remembered I got one of those......yum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

OMG just remembered I got one of those......yum :D
    Indeed. It was magic. First solid food I had eaten since 6am that morning. :o
    Very best of luck with your travels, stay and race, Marthastew! I hope everything goes to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best in NYC - I think a marathon-a-week is the right level for you:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck with NY Mrs. Stew. Have a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Very best of luck in NY. Should be an interesting one to say the least !

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

In case you don't have internet when you're in NY have a good race! Hope you enjoy the trip and the marathon

Thanks so much for all the well wishes for New York everyone:)
    I'm not sure how I feel about running the race while so many people are still without power, heat or water. Having said that I do also see it as an opportunity to bring something positive to the city while it is clearly experiencing one of its worst disasters so with that in mind I intend to go and run my heart out:D
    My bib number is 21215 for anyone that wants to track me, but I'm not even sure if the tracking system will be working;)
    it was lovely to meet you up in dublin marthastew,you come across on boards as a lovely lady,and in person aswell,your also mad as a hatter:D,great race report as usual and a fantastic pacing job:)

And it was great to meet you too Ray:) the very, very best of luck with your next challenge, with your hard work and "never give up" attitude I know you will do really well. I hope Ian enjoyed the pacing also.
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Great report as usual MS, how did Mr Stew get on?
    Hope NY works out, I'm in florida at the mo and things look pretty messy up there! There also seems like a huge appetite to get things back to normal ASAP.

I can't believe I forgot to include Mr Stew's results in my report:eek: In my defence I was trying to finish typing while the "trick or treaters" were arriving at the door and my son was requesting face paints;) Mr S had a huge improvement on Berlin, new PB of 3.19.51, he told me he couldn't have gone 1 second faster so I was super-extra proud of him for working so hard:)
    That gets him well within Boston Qualifying times so I think he'll be the one travelling in 2014.
    enjoy the rest of your holiday, I hope Sandy didn't impact it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck on Sunday. circumstances may be difficult but no doubt you will do your best, as always!
    Enjoy the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Hope you have a great time in NY, enjoy the marathon, good luck!

Advertisement