Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You can't quit UK without my approval, David Cameron warns Scots

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Iran is not in the UK, back on topic or I'm locking this

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dochartaigh

sfakiaman wrote: »
    For the day thats in it.

What guile or force could not subdue,
    through many warlike ages,
    Is wrought now by a coward few,
    for hireling traitors' wages
    The English steel we could disdain,
    Secure in valour's station,
    But English gold has been our bane;
    Such a parcel of rogues in a nation.

Saor Alba anois

probably the finest song ive ever heard

the recent rise of the SNP is probably one of the biggest political miracles in recent times given the mind conditioning of scotlands national unionist rag "daily record". I remember reading a front page headline a few years ago

"VOTE SNP AND WELL TAKE UP GUNS says orange order leader"

yes they actually gave that man and his absolute threat a front page platform to further brainwash all the rangers supporters. I actually still have that paper.

the SNP in scotland also got it from the other side as well and most irish immigrant catholic families in the central belt would not vote for them as "they would close catholic schools" and choose to vote for unionist labour

so they SNP were getting it from both sides of the sad sectarian divide.

Alex Salmond is an absolute legend and his political mastery/genius and statesmanship put him in league with other world political leaders, Mandela etc

Good luck to him

Alba gu brath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Alex Salmond is an absolute legend and his political mastery/genius and statesmanship put him in league with other world political leaders, Mandela etc

Good luck to him

Alba gu brath

Mandela? Really?

What has he done, in your opinion to put him alongside Nelson Mandela?

Why, if he is such a legend, do the SNP get very poor support at the UK elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

Why, if he is such a legend, do the SNP get very poor support at the UK elections?
    Because at Westminster elections Scots vote as a bloc to 'keep the Tories out'. The best way of doing that is to vote Labour.

Salmond is the finest politician in the UK just now, and would have been Prime Minister by now had he been otherwise inclined, but i wouldn't compare him to Mandela!

Why is he such a good politician? All I see is a lot of populist politics.

Is he capable of leading a country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

brimal wrote: »
    Ok had a look around myself and some interesting results from recent polls.

Would you support Scottish independence?

YouGov - 2009
    28% Yes
    57% No
    15% Undecided

YouGov - 2011
    34% Yes
    50% No
    16% Undecided

TNS-BMRB - 2010
    40% Yes
    44% No
    16% Undecided

TNS-BMRB - June 2011
    37% Yes
    45% No
    18% Undecided

TNS-BMRB - September 2011
    39% Yes
    38% No
    23% Undecided

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_independence#Public_opinion

It's alot closer than I thought, Scotland leaving UK is a very possible outcome.

Bit of a pattern emerging right there. I think Salmond is right putting it off 'till 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Is he capable of leading a country?

Last time I looked he was leading a country, Scotland. It should also be noted that he leads a party which has over the last sixty odd years achieved a high degree of independence for Scotland by non-violent means. That would put him more on a par with Ghandi than Mandela.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

That would put him more on a par with Ghandi than Mandela.

Arise 'Sir Alex Ghandi' does have a certain ring to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I just hope that if Scotland Votes for Independance, that the UK Government steps aside and accepts the will of the Scotish people in good faith. If they did I think it might go a long way twords proving to dissident republicens in the North that the UK gov is no longer in the business of keeping the Union together by force.

Might be a bit of an uncomfortable wake up call for Unionists though.

Last time I looked he was leading a country, Scotland. It should also be noted that he leads a party which has over the last sixty odd years achieved a high degree of independence for Scotland by non-violent means. That would put him more on a par with Ghandi than Mandela.

He hasn't led them on the world stage. As I said, all I've seen of him is populist politics aimed at gaining popularity.

Ghandi, ffs, they aren't even in the same universe, let alone league.

• Advertisement

Daniel S wrote: »
    Bit of a pattern emerging right there. I think Salmond is right putting it off 'till 2014.
    It's the right strategy.

At heart the vast majority of Scots want their country to be independent (which nation doesn't?), however the unionist fear-mongering puts many off.

For the first time ever the independence issue is real and on the cards, which is forcing many people to consider the issues for the first time. To overcome their fears will take time.
    He hasn't led them on the world stage. As I said, all I've seen of him is populist politics aimed at gaining popularity.
    He's the current Spectator magazine politician of the year. He has led Scottish nationalists to within touching distance of the holy grail, and as for his ability to lead Scotland on the world stage, we'll find that out after 2014 :)

dublinscot wrote: »
    He's the current Spectator magazine politician of the year. He has led Scottish nationalists to within touching distance of the holy grail, and as for his ability to lead Scotland on the world stage, we'll find that out after 2014 :)

Following in such salubrious company as Nick Clegg and Peter Mandelson. He must be so proud!!

What will happen after a yes referendum, will there be a general election? It will be interesting to see what jappens in Westminster, will all the Scottish MPs (not just MPs in Scotland) get thrown out?

Following in such salubrious company as Nick Clegg and Peter Mandelson. He must be so proud!!
    :)
    What will happen after a yes referendum, will there be a general election? It will be interesting to see what jappens in Westminster, will all the Scottish MPs (not just MPs in Scotland) get thrown out?
    I would expect there to be a Scottish parliament election after the independence negotiations are complete.

Re your other point, are you asking if MPs of Scottish nationality in English seats would be removed? Why would they? Surely that would be a decision for the electorate that put them there at the next Westminster election?

dublinscot wrote: »
    :)

I would expect there to be a Scottish parliament election after the independence negotiations are complete.

Re your other point, are you asking if MPs of Scottish nationality in English seats would be removed? Why would they? Surely that would be a decision for the electorate that put them there at the next Westminster election?

Do you not need to be a UK citizen to become an MP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Even if you did - the Scottish people that were born pre-separation would remain British (whether or not they would also become Scottish automatically may depend on however it happens). In the same way that any Irish person born pre-1922 is also British.

If all the Scottish diaspora all over the world suddenly lost their British citizenship, that would be very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Even if you did - the Scottish people that were born pre-separation would remain British (whether or not they would also become Scottish automatically may depend on however it happens). In the same way that any Irish person born pre-1922 is also British.

If all the Scottish diaspora all over the world suddenly lost their British citizenship, that would be very messy.
    Pre 1949 in the republic not 1922

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

to be a MP you have to be a british /commonwealth or irish citizen, even then you would have to be nominated by a political party to stand in the constituency or go as a independent.

So still no chance of England being free from Scottish Oppression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

So still no chance of England being free from Scottish Oppression.

Progress is being made , people are just waking up to the fact that Billy" Connolly has't been funny in years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Yeah. That's why I've got a poster of him on my bedroom wall.

Or is it a poster of Fred Flintstone? I can't tell.

To compare Alex Salmond, a politician which most people outside Britain have never heard of, to Nelson mandela, a terrorist who thought nothing about killing white farmers, is ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

OT posts deleted

Last warning

Cheers
    DrG

Advertisement