Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You can't quit UK without my approval, David Cameron warns Scots

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Batsy wrote: »
    I don't even believe that Norris and Dobson murdered Lawrence. I'm of the belief that Lawrence's murder was gang-related.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/316805

New rule coming into your country. Joint enterprise. They would all be guilty of murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

djrichard wrote: »
    You could pick out incidents of the exact same thing happening anywhere. Stop trying to grab attention with your images. Ive heard a huge amount of anti-English sentiment here in Ireland and you have control over your own country. Just imagine how much worse it would be if you didnt have control!
    There lies the problem with anti-English sentiment here in Ireland.. we don't have control of our own country as it was and still is divided and partitioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

That's why I'm surprised at Cameron wanting to keep the Union and why it doesn't surprise that Miliband wants to.

Scottish independence would be good for the Tories in England and bad for Labour. That's because Labour often have to rely on Scottish votes to get into power as they often get less votes and less seats than the Tories in England in General Elections. Labour only won the 2005 General Election due to the votes it got in Scotland because it finished behind the Tories in England. If Scotland had gained independence before 2005 the UK (England, Wales, NI) would have elected a Tory government in 2005. If Scotland leaves the Union the Tories will win more General Elections.

A new poll has also shown that the English are more in favour of Scottish indepence than the Scots are and that more people in England are in favour of Scottish indepence than against it, whereas the opposite is true in Scotland. According to a poll in The Sunday Telegraph, 43% of English voters are in favour of Scotland leaving the union, with 32% against. In Scotland, 40% backed independence, with 43% against.

http://news.sky.com/home/politics/article/16149343

Official: More English than Scots want independence for Scotland

There is more support in England for Scotland leaving the United Kingdom than there is north of the border, according to a poll for The Mail on Sunday.

Scots do not want the English to meddle in whether they end their 300-year union with England, but English voters are much keener to have a say in the matter.

And the main worry of Scots appears to be that cutting their ties with England and Wales will leave them with less cash.

It is the first comprehensive opinion poll in Scotland and England since Prime Minister David Cameron decided to throw down the gauntlet to Scotland’s First Minister Alex Salmond, as revealed by The Mail on Sunday last week.

Two surveys, conducted separately in England and Scotland by polling firm Survation, show that Mr Salmond’s plan to offer an alternative of ‘devo max’ – grabbing more power from Westminster for Scotland, but staying in the UK – could backfire.

When asked David Cameron’s preferred straight ‘Yes or No’ question on whether Scotland should be independent, a total of 26 per cent of Scots favour breaking away, with 46 in favour of staying in the UK. However, when the same question is put alongside the ‘devo max’ option as an alternative, there is a different result.

article-2086833-0F7655E300000578-815_638x300.jpg

In that case support for independence falls to 23 among Scots, with backing for staying put in the UK rising to 52. It suggests that the ‘devo max’ alternative threatens Mr Salmond’s dream of becoming the first leader of a new independent Scotland.

When independence for Scots is put to English voters in a straight ‘Yes or No’ question, 40 per cent say ‘No’ with 29 per cent saying ‘Yes’ – three points higher than the result in Scotland.

The gulf in opinion north and south of the border is most stark over the question of whether the referendum should be UK-wide. Nearly seven out of ten Scots say the English should mind their own business. But 38 per cent of people in England want a vote in the referendum, with the same number against.

The poll also suggests the English are less worried about Scotland abandoning links with England than are the Scots.

When voters in Scotland are asked what should happen if there is a small majority for ‘independence’ but even greater backing for ‘devo max,’ more than half say Scotland should not break away. When the same question is put to English voters, they are content to say goodbye to Scotland.

More than four in ten Scots fear independence will leave them worse off financially. Fewer than one in four say they will gain. The collapse of the euro has done little to swell enthusiasm for Mr Salmond’s nationalist cause. A massive 79 per cent of Scots do not want to join the euro; 49 per cent don’t even want to join the EU, with only 32 in favour, if they leave the UK.

An early poll in 2013 – rather that 2014, the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn, as planned by Salmond – is endorsed by a small margin in Scotland, and overwhelmingly in England and Wales.

Survation interviewed 1,001 people in Scotland and 1,019 in England and Wales between Thursday and Saturday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086833/Official-More-English-Scots-want-independence-Scotland.html#ixzz1jXsCu5te

Will you stop quoting that piece of **** newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Dotsey wrote: »
    There lies the problem with anti-English sentiment here in Ireland.. we don't have control of our own country as it was and still is divided and partitioned.

We can't really do anything about that I'm afraid. There happens to be a large contingent of people to the north of your Ireland that do not want anything to do with you. And their families have been in Ireland for a rather long time also.

What are the English people supposed to do about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Jorah wrote: »
    We can't really do anything about that I'm afraid. There happens to be a large contingent of people to the north of your Ireland that do not want anything to do with you. And their families have been in Ireland for a rather long time also.

What are the English people supposed to do about that?
    I was responding to a comment that said we have control over our country when evidently we don't and with what previous English regimes inflicted on us as people led to a build up of anti-English sentiment. There's also a large contingent of people in the north that do want something to do with us. I believe 4 out of 6 counties at last count had nationalist majorities including the two major cities in Belfast and Derry.

• Advertisement

I was responding to a comment that said we have control over our country when evidently we don't and with what previous English regimes inflicted on us as people led to a build up of anti-English sentiment. There's also a large contingent of people in the north that do want something to do with us. I believe 4 out of 6 counties at last count had nationalist majorities including the two major cities in Belfast and Derry.

Yeah its a slow death for NI as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I don't even believe that Norris and Dobson murdered Lawrence. I'm of the belief that Lawrence's murder was gang-related.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/316805

Well the Judge and Jury did, that is all that matters. Nobody will care much for the thugs regardless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

and with what previous English regimes

There hasn't been an English Parliament or an independent England since 1707.

It's amazing how ignorant somebody can be as to the history and the current political make-up of these islands.

brimal wrote: »
    Did you not see the secret video footage of them in the house? Truly shocking behaviour.

Yes, I did. And people making racist comments in their own home doesn't mean that they've killed a black person. The British justice system should not be jailing people for murder just because they made racist comments in their home. Every day of the week there are millions of people around the UK making racist comments in their homes but it doesn't mean they have killed somebody.
    If they didn't kill him (which they did), then they would have killed a black person eventually. Absolute scum.

Of course, you have no proof that they would have killed a black person eventually.

woodoo wrote: »
    They would all be guilty of murder.

People should not be found guilty of murder if they didn't murder anybody.

• Advertisement

Will you stop quoting that piece of **** newspaper.

Why should I? It's a very popular newspaper.

Anyway, back on topic.

As Scots around the world today celebrate Burns Nights, here's a little snippet from a Robert Burns poem that Scottish nationalists need to take note of:

Be Britain still to Britain true,
    Amang ourselves united;
    For never but by British hands
    Maun British wrangs be righted!
    No! never but by British hands
    Shall British wrangs be righted!

burnshead1.jpg
    Robert Burns, 1759-1796

For, hard as it will be for Scottish nationalists to swallow, Robert Burns, their great Scottish hero, was a Unionist.

God help them if he is their hero. The man could hardly string a sentence together ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Enough of this copy and paste nonsense

Nasty you have been warned, banned before for this. This time it's 2 week ban. If it happens again, it'll be permaban time

Cheers

DrG

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

woodoo wrote: »
    God help them if he is their hero. The man could hardly string a sentence together ;)

For the day thats in it.

What guile or force could not subdue,
    through many warlike ages,
    Is wrought now by a coward few,
    for hireling traitors' wages
    The English steel we could disdain,
    Secure in valour's station,
    But English gold has been our bane;
    Such a parcel of rogues in a nation.

Saor Alba anois

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...k-independence

51% want independence.

Great news. Would've preferred the beginning of the end of this Union through the tearing down of the 'Ulster Wall', but this'll do. Additional: The English just can't help but join another Zionist war with Iran. Having spent the time to wean themselves off North sea oil, a strike on Iran will mean the flattening of Baku, their new revenue-zone or even invasion of Azerbaijan completely by Iran - wrecking the UK economy further still.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Border-Rat wrote: »

51% want independence.

Great news. Would've preferred the beginning of the end of this Union through the tearing down of the 'Ulster Wall', but this'll do. Additional: The English just can't help but join another Zionist war with Iran. Having spent the time to wean themselves off North sea oil, a strike on Iran will mean the flattening of Baku, their new revenue-zone or even invasion of Azerbaijan completely by Iran - wrecking the UK economy further still.

Why do you care so much? It's not your union. Mind your own business and let the people who matter decide. Besides, 51% of a daily express poll apparently want Scottish independence. As a proud Briton and supporter of the Union I haven't started worrying yet.

Your ramblings about England, Zionism, the relocation of Sellafield amongst other things are very, very odd.

bwatson wrote: »
    Why do you care so much? It's not your union. Mind your own business and let the people who matter decide. Besides, 51% of a daily express poll apparently want Scottish independence. As a proud Briton and supporter of the Union I haven't started worrying yet.

Well firstly, yes its a mere poll, but its a good indicator. Secondly, I want an end to the Union as it occupies 1/5th of this Island.
    Your ramblings about England, Zionism, the relocation of Sellafield amongst other things are very, very odd.

Never in my life have I even mentioned the moving of Sellafield. This just goes to show that you have difficulty reading. I would thank you to stop making false allegations about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Border-Rat wrote: »

51% want independence.

Zionism? I think most of the educated world is worrying about the Islamist terrorist threat from Iran. Zionism has nothing to do with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Zionism? I think most of the educated world is worrying about the Islamist terrorist threat from Iran. Zionism has nothing to do with it.
    You mean the lack of Islamist terrorism surely? If you want Islamist terrorism you go to SA (who've funded extremist schools around the globe for decades now) not Iran; Iran does make for such an easier punching bag though (I guess it helps when you don't sell your latest weapon to the country you want to beat up).

Could you elaborate on the Islamist terrorist threat from Iran? Seeing as you're educated, and all. While you're at it, could you define what educated is re: geo-politics?

• Advertisement

You mean the lack of Islamist terrorism surely? If you want Islamist terrorism you go to SA (who've funded extremist schools around the globe for decades now) not Iran; Iran does make for such an easier punching bag though (I guess it helps when you don't sell your latest weapon to the country you want to beat up).
    Iran is one of the leading countries in the world for promoting Islamist terrorism. If they are trying to get a nuclear weapon, countries like Israel and the UK and the US would be rightly worried and would have to take action against Iran.

I agree with SA too. I would have no problem if they got dealt with too.
    Could you elaborate on the Islamist terrorist threat from Iran? Seeing as you're educated, and all. While you're at it, could you define what educated is re: geo-politics?
    Iran's leadership is not exactly full of rational people and the fear of them getting nuclear weapons is a genuine fear. Trying to destabilize the Middle East is something which is not acceptable. If Iran attacked Israel with a nuclear weapon, we would be looking at the start of WW3. It is vital that does not happen.

Iran's leadership is not exactly full of rational people and the fear of them getting nuclear weapons is a genuine fear.

How many Countries has Iran invaded in the past 50 years? More people are afraid of who the UK/Israel/USA will attack next.
    Trying to destabilize the Middle East is something which is not acceptable. If Iran attacked Israel with a nuclear weapon, we would be looking at the start of WW3. It is vital that does not happen.

Iran is not trying to destabilize the Middle East. They're not shooting up aid convoys, invading their neighbours or threatening to nuke other Countries. Israel is. Iran does not have nuclear weapons, even if it did it would not attack Israel. We can deduce this as likely because Iran does not show aggression towards its neighbours. We can also add to this interpretation of intention the fact that Iran has not hit Israel's nuclear reactor with hundreds of highly powerful, highly accurate MRBM's, which would be the same as nuking the Country.

Your interpretation of geo-political affairs is crude in the extreme.

How many Countries has Iran invaded in the past 50 years? More people are afraid of who the UK/Israel/USA will attack next.
    Completely irrelevant. The Iranian regime only needs to make one huge error with a nuclear weapon which could be hitting the US or Israel and WW3 would kick off and it would be a nuclear war.

The isolated wars in Iraq and Afghanistan did not involve nuclear weapons. Even if you believe that Iraq was only about oil, it still didn't include nuclear weapons.

If Iran gets a Nuclear Weapon i would guess that its is as an insurance policy against the trigger happy USA and Israel and the UK too i suppose (although they only follow orders from the US).

I don't believe they would use it. They want to protect their country and not live in fear of America.

Completely irrelevant.

It is not completely irrelevant. One side is invading, threatening and actually armed with nuclear weapons. The other is neither.
    The Iranian regime only needs to make one huge error with a nuclear weapon which could be hitting the US or Israel and WW3 would kick off and it would be a nuclear war.

What are you even talking about?

A) Iran does not have nuclear weapons
    B) Why would Iran nukes someone?
    The isolated wars in Iraq and Afghanistan did not involve nuclear weapons. Even if you believe that Iraq was only about oil, it still didn't include nuclear weapons.

And? What has this got to do with anything?? Good God, this man is a case study in brainwashing.

It is not completely irrelevant. One side is invading, threatening and actually armed with nuclear weapons. The other is neither.
    You have to put it into context though. The US invading countries and starting wars is one thing, actually having a country like Iran who would love nothing better than to wipe Israel off the map is another thing altogether.

Nuclear war is a real possibility if Iran do develop a nuclear weapon. We all know the hostility between Iran and Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

im confused after jumping a few pages are scotland trying to leave the uk so iran wont have a problem with it?:rolleyes:
    not the place!

You have to put it into context though. The US invading countries and starting wars is one thing, actually having a country like Iran who would love nothing better than to wipe Israel off the map is another thing altogether.

Exactly! One is doing it, the other isn't!
    Nuclear war is a real possibility if Iran do develop a nuclear weapon. We all know the hostility between Iran and Israel.

Iran has no intentions of nuking Israel, this has already been proven. Now what about Israel's nuclear weapons?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There we go then, the UN don't need to send inspectors into Iran, they just need to give Border Rat a ring, he knows all the "facts".

Advertisement